40th Pick: MAXWELL LEWIS is a Laker
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 4:35 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Maxwell Lewis played 19 minutes and failed to score. Plus/minus -11.
He was totally Missing In Action v Celts.
Quote:
Dancing Barry
Lewis -- -- A big nothing game from Max today. Really lost outthere. His best play was probably a drive and dish to Fudge who choked the dunk. But really no presence in this one.
He missed his only three and a leaner off a screen. The Stats: He didn’t score on 0-2 shooting (0-1 from three) to go with 3 boards, 1 assist and 1 foul in 20 minutes. He was a -11.
https://www.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=194263

Jordan Walsh went at 38, Lewis 40.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:03 am    Post subject:

Yeah not sure what Maxwell Lewis does out there.

Hopefully he can develop well in the G-League. Cause right now he does almost nothing out here. Definitely a big project player.
- sign and trade DLO to not lose value
- sign a coach that’s not an idiot

Call it an offseason
rmonkey
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:51 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
Yeah not sure what Maxwell Lewis does out there.

Hopefully he can develop well in the G-League. Cause right now he does almost nothing out here. Definitely a big project player.
A poor man's Max Christie.
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:52 pm    Post subject:

He’ll get more on-ball reps now that Christie might be sitting out with a fake injury.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:17 pm    Post subject:

Yesterday's game must've been really bad for people to be so down on him. He's clearly a project but he's flashed enough for me to see why the Lakers paid $4M for him.
lakersfan32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:04 pm    Post subject:

another great game by maxwell
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:30 pm    Post subject:

Games way too Fast for him right now but he has shown enough flashes Imo. I don’t think he’s a max Christie and he’ll figure it out by next year, but two years and he may be special.

tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:04 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
Games way too Fast for him right now but he has shown enough flashes Imo. I don’t think he’s a max Christie and he’ll figure it out by next year, but two years and he may be special.

Which is fine. Kid is RAW. We're seeing why he was a second rounder. The physical tools are there. The question will be whether he has the discipline and desire to improve.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:07 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

Which is fine. Kid is RAW. We're seeing why he was a second rounder. The physical tools are there. The question will be whether he has the discipline and desire to improve.

His work ethic is top tier plus he landed with our development team so he will be alright. Can’t wait to watch him develop into a player. I’ll probably watch a lot of SBL this season.

manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:21 am    Post subject:

The tools are definitely there. He's athletic, can dribble, pass and shoot. Just needs more coaching and experience. This is probably still unreal to him coming from Pepperdine to the NBA.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:27 am    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
The tools are definitely there. He's athletic, can dribble, pass and shoot. Just needs more coaching and experience. This is probably still unreal to him coming from Pepperdine to the NBA.

I agree. We saw a little of this with Christie. Let's just
give him a little time, he's a long term investment.
jb2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 2:05 pm    Post subject:

Feels like a Bynum pick - raw clay to work with and mold. It's going to be a minute before we know much but I can see him exploding next year at SL - his physical gifts are special.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 5:30 pm    Post subject:

He just flies off the page though. OK with this pick even if a couple guys later still blow up or impress more to start. Really interested to see what he brings next season.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:47 pm    Post subject:

deal wrote:
manlisten wrote:

I agree. We saw a little of this with Christie. Let's just
give him a little time, he's a long term investment.

He’s got some freakishness to him that Christie didn’t quite have. But he’s like a baby giraffe out there stumbling around sometimes. Really want to see what a year of methodical, proper coaching and him working all day every day does for him. Fast forward 12 months, 24 months when those flashes aren’t just once a game.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:56 am    Post subject:

If he had been selected #46 for free, or if the Lakers had bought #40 outright to have it in addition to #46 then yea…but to pay more than BAE money for MaxL (4m + 1m salary)…it doesn’t look like it made any sense to pay to move up 6 slots in the second round for MaxL. Again pay for MaxL and #46, or don’t pay and get similar looking talent at #46 makes sense. What was done tho isn’t something I can understand atm. Maybe it makes sense over time. Hope I’m wrong, but it looks like a useless waste of $4m to me.
lakersfan32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:07 pm    Post subject:

Hanging from Rafters wrote:
If he had been selected #46 for free, or if the Lakers had bought #40 outright to have it in addition to #46 then yea…but to pay more than BAE money for MaxL (4m + 1m salary)…it doesn’t look like it made any sense to pay to move up 6 slots in the second round for MaxL. Again pay for MaxL and #46, or don’t pay and get similar looking talent at #46 makes sense. What was done tho isn’t something I can understand atm. Maybe it makes sense over time. Hope I’m wrong, but it looks like a useless waste of $4m to me.

shoulda paid a bit more to move up and pick walsh
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 5:42 pm    Post subject:

The $4M means nothing, it's not going to the cap so the BAE comparison isn't good. Also, he's clearly super raw, I don't see why people are so eager to make conclusions about him. At least wait a year, ideally two IMO.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 4:37 am    Post subject:

Yup, I've had the same exact thought - I don't understand it at all.
computernerd
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 8:15 am    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:

The Lakers didn’t pay $4m and draft Max Lewis for the player that he is now. You are never doing that when you draft a 19 or 20 year old. They are drafting him for the player they believe he can become over the next 3 years. They are placing a bet both on Lewis and on themselves that their player development system can unlock his potential. He has a great set of physical tools and he showed in college that he can shoot. Sure, he didn’t exactly fork lightning in summer league, but neither did Max Christie last year and look at him now. Get back to me in 3 years as to whether acquiring Max Lewis was a good idea or not.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 8:58 am    Post subject:

computernerd wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:

The Lakers didn’t pay $4m and draft Max Lewis for the player that he is now. You are never doing that when you draft a 19 or 20 year old. They are drafting him for the player they believe he can become over the next 3 years. They are placing a bet both on Lewis and on themselves that their player development system can unlock his potential. He has a great set of physical tools and he showed in college that he can shoot. Sure, he didn’t exactly fork lightning in summer league, but neither did Max Christie last year and look at him now. Get back to me in 3 years as to whether acquiring Max Lewis was a good idea or not.

My recollection is that they felt they were just out of range of about three targets if they remained at No.46. So, they paid $4mil to get to No.40, at which point they were confident they could land one of their targets.

I'm pretty sure, and I could be wrong, that Jordan Walsh was one of those targets, and so was Max. They had him in for multiple workouts, and it was clear that they liked what they saw. They were ecstatic to get him.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:13 am    Post subject:

I don’t care about the 4 mil spent because that’s other people’s money. I’m just glad they didn’t use assets to acquire the pick.
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:29 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:

The $4M means nothing, it's not going to the cap so the BAE comparison isn't good. Also, he's clearly super raw, I don't see why people are so eager to make conclusions about him. At least wait a year, ideally two IMO.

So, in your opinion, is he is a year away from being a year away?
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:45 am    Post subject:

Annihilator wrote:
tox wrote:

So, in your opinion, is he is a year away from being a year away?

Seems to me they were gunning for someone else, no matter what they say; maybe Kobe Brown (a Sr.) who was rated lower than the 30 slot he got. But paying $4mm for a long term "project" is not a good deal, but it turned out that way.

Whatever the situation, this kid is a year, at the least, away from any contribution in the NBA. He should stick to the g-league until further notice; IMO.
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:29 am    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:

I don’t care about the 4 mil spent because that’s other people’s money. I’m just glad they didn’t use assets to acquire the pick.

This is an excellent point. The Lakers are gambling with Lakers' Corportation profits and not future player assets (such as draft picks or next year's team personnel). There is very little potential loss to the Lakers in this process other than the risk that the face whenever they draft a second-round player.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 1:18 pm    Post subject:

Plus wasn’t the $4 mil from fiscal year 2022-2023? It was gone if they didn’t use it.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 8 of 11
Jump to: