40th Pick: MAXWELL LEWIS is a Laker
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:16 pm    Post subject:

kid played best of the 5 rooks on the floor at the end...

almost makes up for jhs...almost...
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:37 pm    Post subject:

dino wrote:

Not if Cam Whitmore blows up
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:17 pm    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
dino wrote:

was able to snag lakers vs. rockets tickets, i do hope cam doesn't blow up then...
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:30 pm    Post subject:

Max Lewis played his best game as a Laker up to this point.
He played with energy & confidence.
Quote:
DANCING BARRY wrote:
Lewis -- -- Good energy and some quality shooting. Really glad to see him rolling in this one -- something he can build off of. He drilled a three on a kickout to the corner.
He jab stepped and hit another three. He had a couple breakaway dunks, including a windmill that the bench loved. He also hit Hayes on the break for a dunk.

The Stats: He scored 10 points on 4-5 shooting (2-3 from three) to go with 2 boards, 1 assist, 2 turnovers and 2 fouls in 15 minutes. He was a -2.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:28 am    Post subject:

dino wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
dino wrote:

was able to snag lakers vs. rockets tickets, i do hope cam doesn't blow up then...

Whitmore or Jacquez would have been a better choice. Hope we feel better about this in two years when JHS has developed. But short-term, looks like a big mistake.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:07 pm    Post subject:

waterman40 wrote:
dino wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
dino wrote:

Whitmore or Jacquez would have been a better choice. Hope we feel better about this in two years when JHS has developed. But short-term, looks like a big mistake.

The big mistake is making a decision based on the short-term.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:26 pm    Post subject:

He’s gonna be nice when the game slows down

MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:23 pm    Post subject:

Lolz, thought about this since draft night that Maxwell should've been the pick at 17 and JHS or BPA at 40. At least that would help the perception about JHS around here.
SGSD32
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:27 pm    Post subject:

Was really skeptical of Lewis after Summer League.

Nice to see him playing with more control. A year of strength work and coaching? Might have a prospect.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:24 am    Post subject:

He's basically on a 4 year minimum deal, no? I think he has tons of potential.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:44 am    Post subject:

Nice to see why we paid $4 million to get him in the second round.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:43 am    Post subject:

I'm guessing the Lakers felt they could snag a player in the same mold as Whitmore without the red flags and get a PG they were high on to boot.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:00 am    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
dino wrote:

Same. Although I don’t want to keep nit picking criticizing Rob…overall he did a good job, it’s all a guessing game…but it seems pretty obvious that CamW was the much better choice. Red flags should be used to avoid players when picking in the lottery, but outside of the lottery, red flags should be used to select a player that otherwise would not have been available like Whitmore to potentially get a much better players than the draft position. Fino didn’t look like that and CamW clearly did.

Unnatural occurrences would have to transpire for the choice of Fino over CamW to not be exposed as a flop.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:11 am    Post subject:

Hanging from Rafters wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
dino wrote:

Same. Although I don’t want to keep nit picking criticizing Rob…overall he did a good job, it’s all a guessing game…but it seems pretty obvious that CamW was the much better choice. Red flags should be used to avoid players when picking in the lottery, but outside of the lottery, red flags should be used to select a player that otherwise would not have been available like Whitmore to potentially get a much better players than the draft position. Fino didn’t look like that and CamW clearly did.

Unnatural occurrences would have to transpire for the choice of Fino over CamW to not be exposed as a flop.

Do you think it might take more than a week to evaluate? All of your other criticisms have been hasty. Let's add this to the eat crow thread.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
dino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:26 am    Post subject:

love what i have seen of max lewis so far...
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:33 am    Post subject:

Dude is lengthy and athletic
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:59 am    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
The Lakers scouting department has more than earned the benefit of the doubt. I’ll wait for at least a season or two before calling JHS a mistake.

“…regarding potential red flags like Witmore’s medical…teams should use a those flags to pass when picking in the lottery. When picking outside the lottery teams should imo use the red flags…that caused other teams to pass…in order to draft a player that had been projected to be rated much higher before the flags surfaced.”

Strange how you don't apply this logic to Max Lewis.

@Manlisten…Help me understand what you mean. I may have just overlooked it. Did MaxL have any red flags that caused his draft position to drop? If Cam Withmore had been drafted by the Lakers FRP they would have needed to pass on MaxL since both SF. Perhaps take a PG in the 2ndRd, I seem to remember a kid from UCLA at PG still available in that draft range.
LakerLand247
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:11 am    Post subject:

Lewis reminds me of a Devean George type of player. Athletically gifted but not very heady.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:25 am    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
The Lakers scouting department has more than earned the benefit of the doubt. I’ll wait for at least a season or two before calling JHS a mistake.

“…regarding potential red flags like Witmore’s medical…teams should use a those flags to pass when picking in the lottery. When picking outside the lottery teams should imo use the red flags…that caused other teams to pass…in order to draft a player that had been projected to be rated much higher before the flags surfaced.”

@Manlisten…Help me understand what you mean. I may have just overlooked it. Did MaxL have any red flags that caused his draft position to drop? If Cam Withmore had been drafted by the Lakers FRP they would have needed to pass on MaxL since both SF. Perhaps take a PG in the 2ndRd, I seem to remember a kid from UCLA at PG still available in that draft range.

I remember you calling Lewis a waste before he even signed his contract, which happens to be extremely team friendly. He's a very similar prospect to Whitmore except without the medical or character issues and he's someone who actually worked out for the Lakers and they were able to evaluate up close. He was slated as a lotto pick during the 1st half of his college season and shot 50/40/84. He slipped because his performance dipped during conference play where he was the sole focus of opposing team defenses not unlike Austin Reaves. I believe the Lakers felt they could steal a prospect they felt was just as good as Whitmore while also grabbing a PG they were high on at #17.

"In his 26 years as a head coach, including 15 seasons at the University of Washington, Romar has accumulated quite the list of college stars and future NBA players. It includes the former first overall pick, Markelle Fultz, and other first rounders and current professionals like Dejounte Murray, Matisse Thybulle and Terrence Ross.

Go back even further and you’ll find electrifying NBA players such as Isaiah Thomas, Brandon Roy and Nate Robinson.

Now, there’s Maxwell Lewis.

“In 26 years as a head coach, I’ve never seen a player improve as much as he has from the first day on campus until now. He’s made the biggest jump of anyone I’ve ever coached,” said Coach Romar.

“I always tell people Max’s progression is unheard of. He went from AAU in 2021 to Pepperdine to play the 2021-22 season,” said Mario Lewis. “I don’t even think he’s 65 or 70 percent of the way in his development.”

This rapid development and limitless potential is the center of the fascination around Lewis. His ability to adapt to unique situations and develop at an astounding rate is the catalyst of a meteoric rise into the lottery of our latest mock draft."
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:21 pm    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
manlisten wrote:
mhan00 wrote:

I remember you calling Lewis a waste before he even signed his contract, which happens to be extremely team friendly. He's a very similar prospect to Whitmore except without the medical or character issues and he's someone who actually worked out for the Lakers and they were able to evaluate up close. He was slated as a lotto pick during the 1st half of his college season and shot 50/40/84. He slipped because his performance dipped during conference play where he was the sole focus of opposing team defenses not unlike Austin Reaves. I believe the Lakers felt they could steal a prospect they felt was just as good as Whitmore while also grabbing a PG they were high on at #17.

"In his 26 years as a head coach, including 15 seasons at the University of Washington, Romar has accumulated quite the list of college stars and future NBA players. It includes the former first overall pick, Markelle Fultz, and other first rounders and current professionals like Dejounte Murray, Matisse Thybulle and Terrence Ross.

Go back even further and you’ll find electrifying NBA players such as Isaiah Thomas, Brandon Roy and Nate Robinson.

Now, there’s Maxwell Lewis.

“In 26 years as a head coach, I’ve never seen a player improve as much as he has from the first day on campus until now. He’s made the biggest jump of anyone I’ve ever coached,” said Coach Romar.

“I always tell people Max’s progression is unheard of. He went from AAU in 2021 to Pepperdine to play the 2021-22 season,” said Mario Lewis. “I don’t even think he’s 65 or 70 percent of the way in his development.”

This rapid development and limitless potential is the center of the fascination around Lewis. His ability to adapt to unique situations and develop at an astounding rate is the catalyst of a meteoric rise into the lottery of our latest mock draft."

Fair enough, I like the commentary. In fairness to clarify, I was calling the $4mil to move up in the draft (cost less to move up to 35th year before for Chrostie) a waste to pick a player like MaxL who’s not ready, not necessarily the specific player MaxL. Still you make a good point regardless. Hope you…and Rob + scouting team…are on point with MaxL, it certainly looks possible.

My main issue isn’t with JHS/MaxL specifically but their apparent (all speculation, no conclusions cause none of us know for sure, even Rob), career arc positions them to not be able to contribute before the current ship window is closed. CamW however, looks like he has a greater possibility to contribute a year or two earlier which would fit better with this current team’s success. Perhaps a rebuilding team targets JHS/MaxL whereas I figured the Lakers as a projected ship contender should target CamW for sooner contributions at SF. A PG pick could wait until the 2ndRd since we had Dlo/Shro/AR, (replaced Shro w/Vin).

Anyway, I certainly have been way off before, (been right some too!), you gave a good take on MaxL.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:05 am    Post subject:

Maxwell Lewis Highlights | 17 points, 4 rebounds, 8-11 FG

DD20045
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:43 pm    Post subject:

I watched those highlights too MJST. He looks so smooth out there. You cant teach that bounce and length either.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:24 pm    Post subject:

So even Detroit’s G-league team is bad. Imagine being a Detroit fan .
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:14 am    Post subject:

Maxwell Lewis with some insane bounce athleticism

https://twitter.com/RajChipalu/status/1749640329626788007

If we get his three consistent and locked in on defense we could have something there.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:23 am    Post subject:

He's not a two way right lol he has an actual contract
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 10 of 11
Jump to: