Michael Oher inspiration for Blind Side files lawsuit against adopted family
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:12 pm    Post subject: Michael Oher inspiration for Blind Side files lawsuit against adopted family

If true this is a shocker. I first read it in a Fox News Today article and didn't believe it. I googled and found the story in the New York Times.

‘Blind Side’ Player Says He Was Conned With Adoption Promise

LINK

By Santul Nerkar
Aug. 14, 2023
Updated 6:42 p.m. ET

Quote:

Michael Oher, whose life was depicted in the 2009 film, says in a lawsuit that he was never fully adopted by the family that took him in and was swindled into signing away his decision-making powers at 18.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 4:03 pm    Post subject:

I remember the skit Peyton Manning did for this movie and thought it would've made a better movie(never saw the actual movie) and it's probably closer to what happened with Michael Oher.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 4:09 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
I remember the skit Peyton Manning did for this movie and thought it would've made a better movie(never saw the actual movie) and it's probably closer to what happened with Michael Oher.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:09 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

Lol, I've never seen that! Peyton is a natural.
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:32 pm    Post subject:

Its messed up if true. However if they never took him in then he wouldn't be where he is now. Its not like the family stole money from him.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:57 pm    Post subject:

Would he have made it to the NFL or NCAA D1 without interference from this family?
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:14 pm    Post subject:

aprevo15 wrote:
Its messed up if true. However if they never took him in then he wouldn't be where he is now. Its not like the family stole money from him.

It's still really messed up if they told him they were adopting him and just said to sign some papers relating to that, and it turns out that it was a conservatorship instead, and never mentioned that to him. And if the parents and only their 2 biological children are profiting off of him and if he has received nothing from that, that's messed up. I get it that they did a nice thing in taking him in, but it's not the story that was depicted in the movie. They didn't just take him literally off the street. It's just not how it happened.
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:51 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:

It's still really messed up if they told him they were adopting him and just said to sign some papers relating to that, and it turns out that it was a conservatorship instead, and never mentioned that to him. And if the parents and only their 2 biological children are profiting off of him and if he has received nothing from that, that's messed up. I get it that they did a nice thing in taking him in, but it's not the story that was depicted in the movie. They didn't just take him literally off the street. It's just not how it happened.

I was reading another article where the son of the family said they did not make all the money that they were accused of. I am sure the truth will come out.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:14 pm    Post subject:

aprevo15 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:

I was reading another article where the son of the family said they did not make all the money that they were accused of. I am sure the truth will come out.

This from TMZ, comments from Sean Tuohy, the father. He certainly pushes back hard on the allegations...

https://www.tmz.com/2023/08/14/sean-tuohy-calls-michael-oher-claims-insulting-says-family-made-no-money-off-blind-side/
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:57 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:

This from TMZ, comments from Sean Tuohy, the father. He certainly pushes back hard on the allegations...

https://www.tmz.com/2023/08/14/sean-tuohy-calls-michael-oher-claims-insulting-says-family-made-no-money-off-blind-side/

If they didn't include him in revenue payouts from the movie then anything they say means nothing. Zero zilch nada
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:21 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:

That article says he made $200 million selling his fast food franchises. I'm guessing he's telling the truth in that he didn't make money from the movie. We'll see what happens, I guess.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:38 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:

Yeah, there's more going on than the initial report covers. Oher allegedly demanded $15 million from them not too long ago, threatening to spread bad stories about them if they refused. As that article mentions, Tuohy sold off his business franchises for $200 million a while back.

Meanwhile, in the "people are idiots" segment of this story, some morons are insisting that Sandra Bullock be forced to give back her Oscar for The Blind Side.

goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:40 pm    Post subject:

https://www.today.com/news/sports/sean-tuohy-michael-oher-blind-side-allegations-rcna99947

Quote:
Later on Aug. 15, Marty Singer, the attorney for Sean and Leigh Anne Tuohy, issued a statement on Oher’s filing.

"Unbeknownst to the public, Mr. Oher has actually attempted to run this play several times before — but it seems that numerous other lawyers stopped representing him once they saw the evidence and learned the truth," the statement reads, in part. "Sadly, Mr. Oher has finally found a willing enabler and filed this ludicrous lawsuit as a cynical attempt to drum up attention in the middle of his latest book tour."
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:49 pm    Post subject:

aprevo15 wrote:
https://www.today.com/news/sports/sean-tuohy-michael-oher-blind-side-allegations-rcna99947

Quote:
Later on Aug. 15, Marty Singer, the attorney for Sean and Leigh Anne Tuohy, issued a statement on Oher’s filing.

"Unbeknownst to the public, Mr. Oher has actually attempted to run this play several times before — but it seems that numerous other lawyers stopped representing him once they saw the evidence and learned the truth," the statement reads, in part. "Sadly, Mr. Oher has finally found a willing enabler and filed this ludicrous lawsuit as a cynical attempt to drum up attention in the middle of his latest book tour."

Yep, here's the entire statement made by Singer, on behalf of the Tuohys.

https://dam.tmz.com/document/d9/o/2023/08/15/d90b318b316e4e6db6e29e577cf4f8e4.pdf
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:41 pm    Post subject:

Looks what whatever relationship they had was broken up over money.
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:20 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:

Quote:

https://dam.tmz.com/document/d9/o/2023/08/15/d90b318b316e4e6db6e29e577cf4f8e4.pdf

Can't wait til they investigate this and the truth comes out. So far the family seems to winning this argument. However for Michael Oher to go to this extreme there has to be something else we are not hearing about. I'm sure they'll go through all the finances and determine who got how much from the movies.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:52 pm    Post subject:

aprevo15 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:

Quote:

Can't wait til they investigate this and the truth comes out. So far the family seems to winning this argument. However for Michael Oher to go to this extreme there has to be something else we are not hearing about. I'm sure they'll go through all the finances and determine who got how much from the movies.

The Tuohys are loaded. If it's true that they only made a relative pittance from the movie (like $14K each at most), it seems extremely unlikely that they would be so sniveling as to cut Oher's share off over such an extremely small amount of money. It also seems strange that Oher wouldn't have had it explained to him that it was a conservatorship and not an adoption, given that he was already 18 (a legal adult) and given what was necessary to get him into Ole Miss. On the one hand, he wants people to believe he wasn't dumb, yet on the other, he is asking us to believe that he had no idea for almost 20 years that this wasn't an adoption. I'll say this, too, knowing how loaded the Tuohys are, Oher is certainly risking any chance that he could have significant assets left to him by the parents when they die.

I agree with you that there are details that have yet to be revealed, for sure. Much of this doesn't seem to make sense.
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:06 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:

Quote:

The Tuohys are loaded. If it's true that they only made a relative pittance from the movie (like $14K each at most), it seems extremely unlikely that they would be so sniveling as to cut Oher's share off over such an extremely small amount of money. It also seems strange that Oher wouldn't have had it explained to him that it was a conservatorship and not an adoption, given that he was already 18 (a legal adult) and given what was necessary to get him into Ole Miss. On the one hand, he wants people to believe he wasn't dumb, yet on the other, he is asking us to believe that he had no idea for almost 20 years that this wasn't an adoption. I'll say this, too, knowing how loaded the Tuohys are, Oher is certainly risking any chance that he could have significant assets left to him by the parents when they die.

I agree with you that there are details that have yet to be revealed, for sure. Much of this doesn't seem to make sense.

I heard that he was wanting a settlement of 15mil before this went public. Also there's 330mil not accounted for. That's a lot of money even for the Tuohys.

lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:13 pm    Post subject:

I doubt they were getting that much money from the movie.....they might as well stand in line with all the actors playing supporting roles waiting for their residual checks.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 2:04 pm    Post subject:

aprevo15 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:

Quote:

I heard that he was wanting a settlement of 15mil before this went public. Also there's 330mil not accounted for. That's a lot of money even for the Tuohys.

Where are you getting the $330M that's unaccounted for? Honest question.
ksmgf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 2:46 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:

Quote:

Where are you getting the $330M that's unaccounted for? Honest question.

The movies royalties fee maybe?
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 2:59 pm    Post subject:

In a Hollywood where Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, etc, have “never turned a profit,” call me skeptical that the studios disbursed $330m in royalties for The Blind Side.
ksmgf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 4:05 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
In a Hollywood where Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, etc, have “never turned a profit,” call me skeptical that the studios disbursed $330m in royalties for The Blind Side.

My bad. I meant the movie made 330m so there has to be some royalties fees and Oher wants his share.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 4:19 pm    Post subject:

ksmgf wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

My bad. I meant the movie made 330m so there has to be some royalties fees and Oher wants his share.

Ahh yeah, no worries. I'm sure there's some profit somewhere, though I wouldn't doubt the 100k or whatever they said they split is all the studios gave them. Hollywood accounting is crooked as hell.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 5:05 pm    Post subject:

ksmgf wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

Not with Hollywood accounting. Many, many people have been royally screwed over in the past. No pun intended. A few people here are in the industry and can probably elaborate.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: