ROCKETS -at- LAKERS - 11-19-23 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:52 pm    Post subject: ROCKETS -at- LAKERS - 11-19-23 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

Down to the Wire... The Lakers didn’t have AD the last time they faced the Rockets. They wouldn’t have him for the final minute of this game, either.

The Lakers scored the first 7 points to start the game, then were outscored the next 10 minutes. The Rockets were bombing threes during a 21-4 run, while the Lakers missed their wide open looks. They lost the first quarter 28-20.

LeBron set the table for a series of layups as the Lakers quickly reeled in the Rockets to open the second quarter. Late in the quarter AD picked up his third foul. The Lakers lost the last few minutes and trailed 55-49 at the half.

The Lakers went to AD in the post relentlessly in the third quarter. They built an 81-75 lead by doing that by the end of the quarter.

“We had to take it back to the mid 90s,” Ham said of feeding the post relentlessly. It was extremely effective.

AD, however, would pick up his fifth foul midway through the fourth and sat. Thankfully, LeBron was able to keep the scoring going, including a few big makes to bail out the offense up against the shotclock down the stretch.

AD returned to the game, but couldn’t defend with his usual aggressiveness. He ended up fouling on on a charge call with a minute left.

With the Lakers struggling from deep, it was Austin Reaves with the biggest shot of the game -- a deep bomb with 23.7 seconds left to go up by 3. The Rockets, however, were able to take advantage of our smaller post defenders and tie the game up with 4 seconds left.

After the Laker timeout, we got the ball to Bron in the post on single coverage against Brooks. Brooks went for a steal and got sealed. LeBron attacked the rim and drew FTs. He missed the first, made the second and that gave the Lakers the 105-104 win.

LeBron -- -- He’s been on one lately. He had 14 points on 5-8 shooting and 5 assists in the first half. Nice start to the second quarter where he was setting the table for teammates to go on a run. He’d drop 23 in the second half. With Brooks being his usual animated self that made Bron a little more animated himself. After one score across the lane where he finished over him, Bron did the “too small” gesture in front of the Laker bench. Late in the game as the offense slowed down too much, LeBron bailed the team out with a turnaround jumper in the corner and then another three with 3:25 left to go up 4. He’d draw more FTs with 2:25 left. He’d attack off the three line for another layup with 1:20 left. We had the ball with 4 seconds left and went to LeBron in the post. Brooks got out of position trying to deny the post feed, Bron attacked the rim and drew FTs with 1.9 seconds left and the score tied. He’d miss the first, make the second, thankfully. That would win the game. “I guess I’m really in a groove right now,” he said. “I don’t feel that great, dealing with a couple of injuries and I’m under the weather.” He had 13 points in the fourth quarter. The Stats: He scored 37 points on 14-19 shooting (2-5 from three, 7-9 from the line) to go with 6 boards, 8 assists, 3 steals, 2 turnovers and no fouls in 40 minutes. He was a +2.

Davis -- -- He had 14 points on 7-9 shooting in the first half. In the second half, they went to the post again and again to start the game and AD dominated, helping the Lakers dig out of the hole. Sengun had foul trouble and AD just went at it. When they got him out with fouls, they still went to the post. As the doubles came, AD moved the ball for scores. He finally picked up a fourth foul at the end of the third, but not before the Lakers bullied their way back into the lead. He picked up his fifth foul on a spin move with 7 minutes left. Defensively, he really backed off of everything -- a bit too much at times -- and that helped the Rockets chip away at the lead they had build. Finally with a minute left, he fouled out on a charge. The Lakers had no challenge so they couldn’t review. Loved the post action in this one. Ham said the continuity they had from last year allowed them to run that within the flow of the game. The Stats: He scored 27 points on 11-15 shooting (5-7 from the line) to go with 10 boards (4 offensive), 3 assists, 2 steals, 1 block, 4 turnovers and 6 fouls in 33 minutes. He was a -8.

Russell -- -- Really quiet night offensively. The Lakers needed three shooting badly. Russell gave him one in the first couple minutes of the game, then disappeared offensively. He even missed a point-blank uncontested layup. Any kind of scoring from him within reason and we cruise in this game. He and Prince were 2-19. The Stats: He scored 4 points on 1-8 shooting (1-5 from three, 1-2 from the line) to go with 5 boards, 2 assists, 3 steals, 3 turnovers and 1 foul in 24 minutes. He was a -7.

Reddish -- -- He struggled a little with the shot, but the difference with him now is how much of an impact his defensive activity is making. Again, another multi-steal game, including another backcourt inbounds steal that led to an AD score. He had the Van Vleet assignment (15 points on 5-14 shooting). That got tricky when our bigs would sag too far back in drop coverage and not provide help. But good energy from Cam, which we’ve got to have with those starters on that defensive side. He’d make one much-needed three off a Bron kickout. The Stats: He scored 7 points on 3-9 shooting (1-5 from three) to go with 3 boards, 3 assists, 3 steals, 1 turnover and 2 fouls in 39 minutes. He was a +12.

Prince -- -- He went 0-6 in the first half, combine that with Russell/Cam’s first half and they were 3-16. Bron/AD had strong first halves to carry them. They were missing so many wide open looks. Prince eventually attacked a closeout and scored a layup for his first hoop. Very reminiscent of the Laker role players last season where you just wanted anything. Any kind of offense from either him and Russell and we cruise. Really, really good looks for him, too. The Stats: He scored 2 points on 1-11 shooting (0-4 from three, 0-1 from the line) to go with 4 boards (3 offensive), 2 assists, 2 turnover and no fouls in 40 minutes. He was a +2.

Reaves -- -- Huge three with 23.7 seconds left to go up by three. That was a deep bomb, too, with the shotclock low. Superbly efficient game with 17 points on 5-7 shooting. Wish we could have gotten him some more looks from three, but he finds his spots. He was a key trigger man on some set plays with Bron to set him up for scores. Prior to that big three, he scored a layup on a quick burst of speed to attack the lane. He drew some FTs attacking Brooks on a drive. He also had a nice And-1 step-through at the FT line that reminded me of Kobe with how far out he was when he went to that. (Kobe would have loved Austin with his work ethic, footwork, handles and general attitude.) Not very Kobe-esque, though, going 1-2 from the line with 11 seconds left (great job to break the pressure D, though, before getting that whistle). The Stats: He scored 17 points on 5-7 shooting (2-3 from three, 5-6 from the line) to go with 6 boards, 6 assists, 2 turnovers and no fouls in 25 minutes. He was a +8.

Hachimura -- -- Some good moments using his strength to muscle his way to finishes. Like everyone else, he struggled with the three ball. It was contagious. Defensively, we kept him in during the fourth to go a little bigger along that backline. We slid him into the defensive C spot except for the final defensive possession when Bron was on him and we gave up a score at the rim. Prior to that, I think Rui had given up a score in the post 17 seconds left. The Stats: He scored 11 points on 4-10 shooting (0-4 from three, 3-4 from the line) to go with 4 boards, 2 assists, 2 steals and 2 turnovers in 32 minutes. He was a -3.

Wood -- -- Really struggling with the perimeter game. He shot blanks tonight. Ham didn’t trust him to close defensively. The Stats: He didn’t score on 0-4 from (0-3 from three) to go with 2 boards, 1 turnover and 3 fouls in 18 minutes. He was a +8.

Hayes -- -- In for AD midway through the fourth when he had picked up his fifth foul. The Lakers struggled to make that work, and didn’t go back to it when AD fouled out. The Stats: He had 2 boards and 1 foul in 5 minutes. He was a -4.

Ham -- -- Key Moment: We went small defensively against Sengun with Bron on him and gave up a score at the rim to tie it. After advancing the ball with the timeout, we had Bron in the post against Brooks. Bron had that “too small” moment against him earlier in the half. Brooks tried to go for a steal and got sealed out of position on the inbounds. Bron attacked off that and drew the FTs. I like it. I’d much rather see Bron in the post versus settling for a long three on iso like we’ve done the past several season.

Key Substitution: When AD fouled out, we stayed small with Rui and Bron playing the C spot. I get not bringing in Hayes, but you probably need to go with Wood there. In any event, let’s look at Reaves closing this game. He was our only guard really able to score with any consistency. He buried that huge three with the shotclock low. Super efficient night by Reaves to get his 17 and hit the biggest shot of the game.

Key Stats: The Lakers shot 3-15 from three in the first half, a lot of wide open looks. Meanwhile, the Rockets made 9-20. The Lakers went 1-7 from three in the third quarter. The Lakers would finish 6-29 from three. Outside of Bron/Reaves, they were 2-21 on great looks.

Last edited by DancingBarry on Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:53 pm    Post subject:

My heart is still racing.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:02 pm    Post subject:

Not a bad win given how atrocious the shooting was. LeBron looked great, it seems like if he beats his primary defender he always has open lanes (even when the Lakers are shooting blanks)
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:03 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB! I'll take an ugly win anytime. Bron played great but he can't play 40 minutes every night. Got to make more shots.
ThreePointBomber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:21 pm    Post subject:

Allergic to threes
Nobody
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:31 am    Post subject:

The shooting is getting comical. Wide. Open. Looks. And they just continue to brick them with some (Wood, Prinec) being atrociously off.

Yeah, a win is a win, but after getting humiliated the other day I expected more fire.

Can't stand Brooks and don't quite get why he is allowed so much leeway by the refs. If he gets officiated like other players, he'd foul out every other game.
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:14 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the great write-up. I am more and more convinced that LeBron is the NBA GOAT. What he is doing this season is unbelievable.

Minor edit: Lakers lost the first quarter 28 to 20 (not 28 to 10).
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:47 am    Post subject:

Thanks, DB!

In my 40+ years of serious fandom, the Lakers have never been more than an average 3-point shooting team, and most seasons they've been poor at it. The 3-peat Lakers at least made timely 3s, but the LeBron/AD Lakers have just been ridiculously bad.

Los Angeles Lakers - the team where three point shooters go to die.
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:54 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB!

That was way too close to a 2021-22 caliber loss. Can't take those anymore
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:19 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Thanks, DB!

In my 40+ years of serious fandom, the Lakers have never been more than an average 3-point shooting team, and most seasons they've been poor at it. The 3-peat Lakers at least made timely 3s, but the LeBron/AD Lakers have just been ridiculously bad.

Co-sign

I've come to terms that God is a Laker Fan, but because He's so loving... he has to make it interesting for the rest of the NBA by making that line an energy vortex for anyone wearing purple and gold with wide open looks but during game action only.

40+ years 🤣

11 championships 🔥

Prove us wrong 🙏🏽

I doubt even Steph would be immune.🤣

#BannersOverBillboards
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:21 am    Post subject:

Our guys should know by now that they have to wait until a defender is attempting to close out before they shoot.

2-21 but we won 🤣🤣🤣🤣

#BannersOverBillboards
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:46 am    Post subject:

THX DB!
Daikatana
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:08 pm    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
Thanks, DB!

Co-sign

I've come to terms that God is a Laker Fan, but because He's so loving... he has to make it interesting for the rest of the NBA by making that line an energy vortex for anyone wearing purple and gold with wide open looks but during game action only.

40+ years 🤣

11 championships 🔥

Prove us wrong 🙏🏽

I doubt even Steph would be immune.🤣

Yes God is a Lakers fan...

Ugh with the 3 pt shooting...

But if we get another Chip...

It doesn't matter

DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:27 pm    Post subject:

markjay wrote:
Thanks for the great write-up. I am more and more convinced that LeBron is the NBA GOAT. What he is doing this season is unbelievable.

Minor edit: Lakers lost the first quarter 28 to 20 (not 28 to 10).

Fixed. Thanks
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:30 pm    Post subject:

Nobody wrote:
The shooting is getting comical. Wide. Open. Looks. And they just continue to brick them with some (Wood, Prinec) being atrociously off.

In my game notes I've been writing whether they were wide open or not. So many last night... You got to shoot average on those. Even below average would have made for an easy win.

But it at least tells me there is good process in place to generate those looks.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:49 pm    Post subject:

AD need to start dominating these young bigs, let them know there’s another level they’re not getting yet
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:48 pm    Post subject:

As Rui pointed out, Brooks is trying to coattail or something on LeBron's celebrity.

He is a no one, LeBron is on the NBA Mt. Rushmore.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: