Rob Pelinka needs to be fired
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:52 am    Post subject:

Johnny Buss is running for office (kid you not).

Anyway, in finding that out, I also discovered that according to Johnny (who is the eldest of all the Buss clan) that Dr. Buss never expected Jim to truly control the team (or Jeanie). Dr. Buss expected to pass away much later than he did, at a time when his youngest 2 could take over. There seems to be a strong suggestion that the 2 youngest Buss kids will be the ones running things (who currently support Jeanie).

So if Pelinka is shown the door, those 2 Buss brothers likely run the team with some NBA level executive. I don't think any one new is coming in. You may hate Pelinka, or not like him. But there's a possible scenario of things getting worse. I don't know enough about these Buss brothers. Would we really want a situation of Kurt Rambis, the youngest Buss brothers running the team?

I am no Pelinka fan, I see his faults (now). However, at least he is a proven NBA agent who has enough feel and connections to make things happen. He has made a lot of big NBA trades and has a lot of connections to players, or knows how to establish those connections. Unless we're going to get Bob Myers or someone proven, I think we may be best of staying with Pelinka. The thought of Rambis, and these two young Buss brothers running the team and talking to free agents scares the living (bleep) out of me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:59 am    Post subject:

I am no Pelinka supporter - but the team he has put together almost every year is talented, and competitive enough to win a title or be in the picture. The only year he's not been able to do so was the 2021-22 season where we were gutted with the Westbrook trade. That was his worst offseason/string of moves. Right now our team isn't where it should be but that is not due to talent. AD, Lebron, D'LO, Austin, Rui, Vando. Still have some pieces like DHS and Christie. A lot of our coming draft picks are still in tact, and he's shown patience this deadline.

He's never been elite, but there's worse out there. I just would worry if he is removed that Jeanie may end up giving those same powers to her brothers and Kurt Rambis.

But this is really about choosing the lesser of the 2 evils.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:32 am    Post subject:

zambia wrote:
george w kush wrote:
zambia wrote:
george w kush wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
george w kush wrote:
Was it Rob who signed off on hiring former Laker Byron Scott as coach?

Was it Rob that signed off on hiring former Laker Luke Walton as coach?

Was it Rob that signed off on hiring former Laker Magic Johnson as whatever his title was?

Was it Rob that signed off on hiring Kobes former agent Rob Pelinka? A guy who has zero experience being in any kind of managerial position?

Was it Rob that signed off former Lakers assistant coach Darvin Ham?

I’m hoping you’re starting to see a pattern here, and hopefully you will see the problem isn’t Rob.

I stopped watching the games months ago because this team makes me pull my hair out, and have started to put my attention to the Dodgers. Now that’s an ownership group that knows how to run a team.
It was Rob who didn't prioritize Howard and ended up opting for more 3pt shooting with Gasol and midget Harrell.

It was Rob who also thought little of Caruso and lost him to Chicago.

It was Rob who gave up a frp for Schroder and lost him for nothing.

It was Rob who insist on forcing Vogel to incorporate Westbrick into offense and it was probably him who told Jeanie to fire Vogel because Jeanie listens to her best friend.

It was Rob who dismantles a championship winning team because he had no clues that those players were very talented and that he was very lucky in signing them. If he knew Howard and Caruso were that good, he would have "prioritized" them.
And it was Jeanie Buss who signed off on all of it.
Who asked Jeanie to sign off on these transactions? I believe it was Rob, do you agree yes or no.
Rob is an employee for the Lakers. Jeanie owns the Lakers. It doesn’t matter what Rob or Lebron ‘ask’ for, at the end of the day it is the owner his has final say in these matters.

If you want an example of how this normally works:

Shaq asked for a contract extension when they lost against the Pistons in 04. Jerry Buss made a business decision and traded in him instead which led to Kobe being a Laker for life and two rings.

Lebron and AD ask for Westbrick and Jeanie says Sure!

See the difference? One owner who actually has a background running business makes the correct decision while the replacement owner who has accomplished nothing in her life sets the franchise back and wastes another year of Lebron.

BTW, I doubt Rob wanted Westbrick, but that’s what you get when you have one owner who is willing to stand up against their star players and another one who will not.
You’re making excuses for Rob. Jeanie is paying Rob to run basketball operations. She’s trusting Rob to lead her in the right directions. Why do GM’s get fired, even though the owners signed off on trades and free agent acquisitions.

Kobe and Shaq hated each other. Kobe basically said it’s either me or him. Buss went with the younger superstar. That was not a normal situation.
GMs get fired because the Owner is the one that pays the bills

To compare any owner to the Late and Great Dr. Jerry Buss is totally unfair since there are no owners as great.

Jeanie had to battle family pressures that no owner (at least within the past 50+ years had to face) and influenced her decisions.

What made and continues to make the Lakers different than other teams is that they are family owned that takes care of their family of players

Jeanie was not "given" the reins since she has gone through the ranks from the bottom to the top - successfully. She survived the power struggle of her against Johnny and Jimmy Buss.

DS wanted to be the starting PG and Rob made the decision that DLo was better because he has more length and greater offensive upside than the undersized DS plus couldn't afford his price that would be far greater than his salary because of CAP rules

Magic was brought in the midst of all the family scrables and wanted somebody knowledgeable that she trusted - in other words, was hoping for a Larry Bird experience that he had at Indy. Unfortunately, just like his talk show - the business savvy and charismatic wasn't committed to leading the Lakers in the Front Office. Sadly, with Magic being too far stretched out in running his many businesses and running the Lakers put Rob in an unfortanate predicament that was out of his control

Once Rob had control of the reins and had the flexability/freedom to make the moves that he wanted to make, he was successful - as last year's many trades proved and last season's signings

Luke had a short but very successful stint with the Warriors, plus he was Family. It was a calculated gamble that didn't work

Dwight Howard had lost his quickness and power, plus the Lakers thought they could find a younger/stronger replacement to play backup center

BScott (close friend of Kobe) was brought in to lead a team that was lacking in experienced and talented player to make Kobe's last year a memorable one. It should be noted that all of this was happening during the Jimmy Buss/Mitch Kupchak reign that led to trades that severly financially handicapped the Lakers for many years with trades like

During the Dr. Jerry Buss (in the last years of his life), Mitch Kupchak and Jimmy Buss made some desperate moves to get Dr. Jerry Buss one more ring before he died that didn't worked but handicapped Magic/Rob. The Luol Deng ($72 million) and Timofey Mozgov's ($64 million) to a pair of four-year deals in 2016 that eventually had to be stretched - it was a total mess.

How many Owners and GMs have the courage and cachet to say no to LBJ/AD's firm request to acquired Westbrook. When the three of them worked out together to put the foundation of how they can play effectively together - the vast majority of the NBA pundits had already stated that they will be in The Finals.

It should be noted that Balmer did that when Kwahi said that it was a requirement that he acquire PG13 before he signed with the Clips.

When Shaq made the demand, Dr. Buss already had the cachet to say no. In addition, until they got Pau - the team wasn't very good

In addition, the NBA finance structure restrictions and landscape of obtaining players had dramaticaly changed that made Mitch Kupchak's reign as GM between 2000 to 2017 end because he was totally out of touch (see his record at Charlotte). Then Jeanie's dilemna of how to work with Phil (then her fiancé) and Jerry West (who hated Phil)

Jeannie cares for her players. Lakers are not a big corporation (Grizzles, Suns, Mavs, Dubs, Clips, etc.) where they are owned by corporations where the owners use their NBA teams as an expensive toy to play with.

Dodgers started with unlimited funds to compensate for the McCourt Disaster but even their ownership have begun to run a tight financial ship after establishing a good foundation. Dodgers have stuck with Roberts and the akers should stick with Ham for the near future to establish a definitive culture that is not always changing and trying for instant gratification - that is contrary to how the Nuggets to the Dubs (until Meyers left) to the Heat (Riles to Spoelstra) and very few other NBA ownerships/management.
george w kush
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:56 am    Post subject:

zambia wrote:

You’re making excuses for Rob. Jeanie is paying Rob to run basketball operations. She’s trusting Rob to lead her in the right directions. Why do GM’s get fired, even though the owners signed off on trades and free agent acquisitions.

Kobe and Shaq hated each other. Kobe basically said it’s either me or him. Buss went with the younger superstar. That was not a normal situation.

Who hired Rob? Jeanie.

If Rob is such a problem, why doesn’t she fire Rob? Why is he still employed with the Lakers? Jeanie.

As far as why GMs get fired, well that’s because owners can’t fire themselves, because well they’re the owners, and someone has to be the fall guy for making poor decisions to hire bad GMs and it isn’t going to be the owner.

Vogel is a perfect example of this. A coach who won a ring for this organization was fired because Jeanie gave into the demands of Lebron and AD in getting Westbrick. I doubt Rob or Vogel thought it would be a good idea to get Westbrick, but because AD and Lebron want him, they get him and Vogel ends up being the fall guy.

I’m not sure why anyone would try to defend Jeanie. She’s a horrible owner who has accomplished nothing in her lifetime and only owns this team because she is the daughter of someone who actually did have strong business accumen. Every decision this franchise makes from coaching, roster construction and trades leads back to her. Of course she can’t fire herself so we’re stuck with her until HOPEFULLY she decides to sell, and hopefully sells to the Guggenheim group, who actually does know put to put together a winning team.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:17 pm    Post subject:

We won the championship with Howard and McGee, both of whom had absolutely no offense. Then the following season Pelinka thought it's a good idea for the center to be able to shoot three and spread the floor so he opted for Mark Gasol. He then signed 6'6 midget Harrell for utility. After Gasol retired, he never attempted to fill the gap at center so he obviously thought that position isn't that important and not a priority.

Laker fans were laughing at the Wolves for seemingly overpaying for Gobert but now it looks like they underpaid for Gobert. Find me another center like Gobert in this league.

AD was amazing today but he cannot take on paint guarding duty and scoring on every possession AND defending the best big of all time. That's dumb! We beat this Denver team with AD and Howard. If we had another big like Howard to guard Jokic, AD would be freed up to help defensively, rebound and have more energy to score 50 points a game.

Last edited by lakersfever714 on Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:18 pm    Post subject:

Bob Myers is ready
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:19 pm    Post subject:

Got swept last year and decided to sign Hayes and Wood 😂
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:22 pm    Post subject:

Bron2AD wrote:
Got swept last year and decided to sign Hayes and Wood

Yeah they got Hayes who has solid upside and Christian Wood whom is a starting center in the league and puts up 17-20 points a game.

They also got known scorer Spencer Dinwiddie.

Their coach never ran offense through Wood with the bench, and told Dinwiddie that the team won't need his scoring and instead be a spot up shooter and play defense.

Is that Pelinka's fault?
kfkilla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:17 am    Post subject:

Bron2AD wrote:
Got swept last year and decided to sign Hayes and Wood 😂

Were there better centers on the Market? Are these two better than WG?
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:53 am    Post subject:

CamReddish wrote:
Bob Myers is ready

Jeanie too cheap
DD20045
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:05 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Johnny Buss is running for office (kid you not).

Anyway, in finding that out, I also discovered that according to Johnny (who is the eldest of all the Buss clan) that Dr. Buss never expected Jim to truly control the team (or Jeanie). Dr. Buss expected to pass away much later than he did, at a time when his youngest 2 could take over. There seems to be a strong suggestion that the 2 youngest Buss kids will be the ones running things (who currently support Jeanie).

So if Pelinka is shown the door, those 2 Buss brothers likely run the team with some NBA level executive. I don't think any one new is coming in. You may hate Pelinka, or not like him. But there's a possible scenario of things getting worse. I don't know enough about these Buss brothers. Would we really want a situation of Kurt Rambis, the youngest Buss brothers running the team?

I am no Pelinka fan, I see his faults (now). However, at least he is a proven NBA agent who has enough feel and connections to make things happen. He has made a lot of big NBA trades and has a lot of connections to players, or knows how to establish those connections. Unless we're going to get Bob Myers or someone proven, I think we may be best of staying with Pelinka. The thought of Rambis, and these two young Buss brothers running the team and talking to free agents scares the living (bleep) out of me.

You've been around too long not to know the drafting prowess of Jesse Buss.
Denny_Russo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:10 am    Post subject:

CamReddish wrote:
Bob Myers is ready

Gonna laugh if they sign Green and then try to bring Bob Myers on board. Bro would sooner launch himself to Mars with the millions he's accumulated than deal with Draymond again.
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:11 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Bron2AD wrote:

Yeah they got Hayes who has solid upside and Christian Wood whom is a starting center in the league and puts up 17-20 points a game.

Their coach never ran offense through Wood with the bench, and told Dinwiddie that the team won't need his scoring and instead be a spot up shooter and play defense.

Is that Pelinka's fault?

lol both can’t do (bleep) again jokic. They needed a bruising center and not finesse

needed orange...got lemon instead

Last edited by Bron2AD on Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:40 am; edited 1 time in total
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:23 am    Post subject:

then what? Jeannie Buss gonna just put in another cheap, yes-mam in his place like Kurt Rambis. this starts with the ownership, other stuffs are all band aids and scapegoats. not saying Pelinka is a good GM, he is over his head taking on this position begin with, who's fault is that? you can't fault him to take on this role can you? it was offered to him.

Last edited by SGV-Laker fan on Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:24 am; edited 1 time in total
JustaObserver
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:24 am    Post subject:

I would have love to get a Center..I said Jay Huff or trying to even keep Mo Bamba at a lower price..but some wanted to wait and get Wood a Forward..smh..welp you got what you wanted.

However these loses really not on Rob..they on Ham..remind people again..you have had big leads all the games on DEN coming out of the half. Its up to your coach to guide the team to maintain or increase the lead. We havent been blown out in the 1st half yet..sooo its not the players its how they being used..looking at you HIGH SCHOOL COACH POCKETS.

oh wait the nonsense reply"Who hired him?": Your idiot OWNER. Dont want to pay too much money ie Lue or any legit money for a real coach so options are limited also got to be someone Klutch likes...welp.
samnizam
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:51 am    Post subject:

This is if not stupid it’s crazy yes we might have signed a different player here and there but that doesn’t mean they will be great( Dinwidee ) as a GM it was a no brainer but he didn’t produce same for Vincent I’m sadly looking for next year he will be fine .
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:59 am    Post subject:

we need a complete rebuild. Not just tweaking the margins. Is Rob capable of that? if not then we might as well keep him here while bron is here. They seem to have synergy.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:05 am    Post subject:

The problem isn't Rob, it's Jeanie. Rob was Kobe's agent, Kobe loved him... and Kobe's approval is a security blanket for Jeanie. It's either Rob or Phil Jackson... take your pick. After Rob, she'll probably hire Jay Mohr.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:07 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
The problem isn't Rob, it's Jeanie. Rob was Kobe's agent, Kobe loved him... and Kobe's approval is a security blanket for Jeanie. It's either Rob or Phil Jackson... take your pick. After Rob, she'll probably hire Jay Mohr.

or Kurt Rambis, or whoever she feels comfortable with, nepotism is on full display.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:08 am    Post subject:

Bob Meyer is out there, just saying.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:10 am    Post subject:

I don’t know that firing Pelinka will help anything. We have seen what it’s like with him in charge. I expect him to resort back to the 3 star plan even though this Lebron isn’t a good fit for that.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:15 am    Post subject:

Bron2AD wrote:
MJST wrote:
Bron2AD wrote:

Is that Pelinka's fault?

lol both can’t do (bleep) again jokic.

Jokic can't do (bleep) against AD either. That's not what's hurting us.

What's hurting us is our bench scoring in single digits and having proven scorers like Dinwiddie, Vincent and/or Wood on your bench but Taurean Prince is the leading scorer.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:52 am    Post subject:

Juuuuuuuuust sayin.

Quote:
Furthermore, sources confirmed with me that Tim Connelly’s deal includes an opt-out clause after this season, a detail first reported by Shams Charania. So, knowing Taylor could continue to own the team long-term and didn’t want him in the first place, it’s logical to speculate as to whether Connelly might exercise that option and leave the Timberwolves to join another NBA franchise, many of which would love to have him.

roger_federer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:03 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Bron2AD wrote:
MJST wrote:
Bron2AD wrote:

Is that Pelinka's fault?

What's hurting us is our bench scoring in single digits and having proven scorers like Dinwiddie, Vincent and/or Wood on your bench but Taurean Prince is the leading scorer.

Even when Jokic can't do (bleep) against AD, he can still set up plays for others. The problem is not the bench its the starters. only 2 of the starters playing good each game won't cut it.
Now AD had 2 monster games and we still lost. He won't have the same in next 2 games.
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:40 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Bron2AD wrote:
MJST wrote:
Bron2AD wrote:

Is that Pelinka's fault?

27/20/10/2
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8
Jump to: