2024 Laker Draft Thread - Picks 17 and 55
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:04 pm    Post subject:

Denny_Russo wrote:
Bron2AD wrote:
after the JHS pick...0 expectations that they pick the right kid

If the rumors are true, JHS was a Rob pick.

Rob congratulated Jesse right after calling in the pick in the war room. Didn't look like Rob big footed the scouting staff.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:36 pm    Post subject:

Dominic1981 wrote:
Edey reminds me of Rik Smits/Yao Ming. I’m not quite sure how NBA team can incorporate him into today’s NBA.

I don’t think Jokic is very similar. Jokic shoots 3s and initiates offense from the perimeter as a point/center. Edey is almost exclusively in the paint.

I think I’d be happy with Clingon. He’s the best rim protector in the draft. He has Gobert qualities

It's very easy to implement bigs that can dominate in the post in todays league. Jokic does it, Embiid does it.

Yeah they can stretch the floor, but its just a part of their games. The majority of AD's entire game is from the post or from mid. Him shooting threes is considered a bad thing and he is elite.

Why? Because if you're an efficient scorer and teams need to double you and you can pass out of that, you open up things for your teammates.

Imagine having Edey on your team that is a go-to for a score in the post, as well as shot blocker, and when other teams have to double him it opens us up on the perimeter or finds cutters, etc.

The post game still opens up a ton in todays game.

Look at how many assists AD or Giannis gets when he passes out of double teams and how many teammates he gets open through just that. And it's not because he's(AD) going to beat a team from three. Jokic shoots 34% from three and only takes like 2-3 a game. But he's most dominant inside where he draws doubles and passes to his ever moving teammates.

Edey can be very well implemented into the modern game as bigs(especially ones dominant inside) can still be dominant and huge difference makers.
JJin77
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:48 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
IF we keep the pick this year Filipowski is the one I'd look at. They have him being picked around where our pick is, he's who I'd look at.

7 Foot, 240 pounds at age 20, so we're looking at maybe anywhere from 250-270 when he gets to his man body? He's athletic, can pass, has a solid enough post game and can hit threes. He's not horrible at using his size to alter shots either. I'd say if you're looking for a big to pair next to AD, Filipowski is a good get. His ability to hit the three and post game helps out in that regard.

If not Filipowski, I'd say Donovan Clingan is the target, his size(7'2 and 265) and his ability inside and defense is solid. I worry about his foot, but in terms of the kind of big bodied big we need to put next to Davis? He fits the bill.

The wing or the 2 I'd look at if you want to pair next to DLO whom I hope we re-sign long term, is likely going to go in the Top 10, and is Dalton Knecht whom looks like a Klay 2.0 on offense

But he's gonna up his stock in the tournament most likely and is going to go Top 10, if he somehow fell to us then the other 29 scouts failed xd

But the REAL STEAL could wind up being Zach Edey, whom because he's a 4 year college guy(and is 21) seems like mock drafts don't have him going high in the first round, he's DEFINITELY a guy to look at. 7'3, 285, long 7'10 wingspan, EXTREMELY skilled big man. He could be a Jokic-level steal in all honesty. We MUST do our due diligence.

I will personally be VERY VERY happy if we steal Zach Edey in the draft.

Filipowski was the guy that I wanted last draft. I expect him to be somewhere closer to top 10(I actually have 0 idea on the next draft) then late teens, so I would be extremely happy if we end up with him. Zach Edey, otoh, would be good upside pick for your late first rounder or early 2nd. Not so exciting pick as a mid teen to late teen pick where we most likely will end up.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:05 pm    Post subject:

More Edey

His consistency inside along with his side means you need to double him. Having that in a starting lineup with a Davis, Lebron, DLO, Reaves beside him would be pretty solid.

He can pass, his jumper has good form, and he has size you can't teach as well as a soft touch and very consistent inside and his hookshot is money. He's also a very solid offensive rebounder and rebounder in general. Again, I am shocked he's not a higher pick but he has all the makings of a "How the heck did nobody draft him sooner?" pick.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:49 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
IF we keep the pick this year Filipowski is the one I'd look at. They have him being picked around where our pick is, he's who I'd look at.

7 Foot, 240 pounds at age 20, so we're looking at maybe anywhere from 250-270 when he gets to his man body? He's athletic, can pass, has a solid enough post game and can hit threes. He's not horrible at using his size to alter shots either. I'd say if you're looking for a big to pair next to AD, Filipowski is a good get. His ability to hit the three and post game helps out in that regard.

If not Filipowski, I'd say Donovan Clingan is the target, his size(7'2 and 265) and his ability inside and defense is solid. I worry about his foot, but in terms of the kind of big bodied big we need to put next to Davis? He fits the bill.

The wing or the 2 I'd look at if you want to pair next to DLO whom I hope we re-sign long term, is likely going to go in the Top 10, and is Dalton Knecht whom looks like a Klay 2.0 on offense

But he's gonna up his stock in the tournament most likely and is going to go Top 10, if he somehow fell to us then the other 29 scouts failed xd

But the REAL STEAL could wind up being Zach Edey, whom because he's a 4 year college guy(and is 21) seems like mock drafts don't have him going high in the first round, he's DEFINITELY a guy to look at. 7'3, 285, long 7'10 wingspan, EXTREMELY skilled big man. He could be a Jokic-level steal in all honesty. We MUST do our due diligence.

I will personally be VERY VERY happy if we steal Zach Edey in the draft.

Everybody here knows Zach Edey is my guy.

It’s gonna come down to what Pelicans choose to do. When is the deadline for the Pelicans to defer the pick or not? Anybody know?
- sign and trade DLO to not lose value
- sign a coach that’s not an idiot

Call it an offseason
kfkilla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:02 am    Post subject:

Dude there are basketball players who are actually 7’ (not 6’10 ) and over 270lbs left in the world? Give me one of those guys please. After the last couple seasons I have a new found appreciation for large humans who play basketball like large humans.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:24 am    Post subject:

kfkilla wrote:
Dude there are basketball players who are actually 7’ (not 6’10 ) and over 270lbs left in the world? Give me one of those guys please. After the last couple seasons I have a new found appreciation for large humans who play basketball like large humans.

Actually 7 foot is the hard part, even Embiid and Jokic are under it officially lol
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:35 am    Post subject:

kfkilla wrote:

My dream would be to see a 7 foot 3+ human that’s the size of Aaron Donald.

Every single defender on the receiving end of his fast break would turn into Geno Smith:

- sign and trade DLO to not lose value
- sign a coach that’s not an idiot

Call it an offseason
RusselDoeee01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:26 am    Post subject:

If we want someone that can produce right away..

Dalton Knecht
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:37 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
kfkilla wrote:

My dream would be to see a 7 foot 3+ human that’s the size of Aaron Donald.

Every single defender on the receiving end of his fast break would turn into Geno Smith:

7'3 Zion? Where do I sign?
JJin77
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:31 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
Bron2AD wrote:
after the JHS pick...0 expectations that they pick the right kid

Our scouting department is top five. There will always be misses. But we dont know what JHS will be yet.

They probably have top 3 betting average, but they are mostly a single or double at the most. That's valuable but in basketball where one player has such an impact on both ends of the floor more than any other team sports, it's infinitely more valuable to hit one home run/9 strike outs than betting .400 on just singles. Having said that, Denver and Memphis are incredible in hitting long balls and betting for average at the same time.
jb2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:53 am    Post subject:

RusselDoeee01 wrote:
If we want someone that can produce right away..

Dalton Knecht

He's going to be nice in the NBA but he's also a top 7 pick at this point...

Hoping NO takes this year's first
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:17 am    Post subject:

Zach Edey recent 30/21 dominant performance

MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:36 am    Post subject:

Zach Edey Last 11 Games

27.6 PPG
12.7 RPG
2.8 APG
2.1 BPG
60.2% Field Goal
71% Free Throw (on 13 a game)

Again... the Lakers need to do their due diligence. If Edey falls to us, we take him, no questions asked.

His jumpshot form doesn't look bad and he's very consistent. His game isn't "sexy" but it's effective and efficient and defenses HAVE to adjust to him. At the NBA level he'd pull gravity on offense and if our guys are shooting our threes well that opens up. But just having a presence inside like him opens up a lot, ask the Nuggets how well that can work.

He's also a multi-year college guy, and those guys can contribute a lot faster out of the gate than one year college guys.

Are we going to feed him the ball enough to make him a 27PPG scorer at the NBA level? Most likely not. Is it great to have a big body like him that can score inside, block shots and rebound extremely well and move Davis to the 4? Yes...

He's also only 21. Still PLENTY of upside, and still not even in his grown man body yet despite being 280+ pounds. Get him on an NBA regimen and weight program? Benefit tremendously. There's maybe 3 other centers in the league his size now, and that's Lopez, Jokic and Embiid.

Most surprising thing for his size and weight is how well he stays with other bigs and guards off the pick and roll

I think if he falls to us we'd be very very stupid to not take him.
jb2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:07 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Zach Edey Last 11 Games

27.6 PPG
12.7 RPG
2.8 APG
2.1 BPG
60.2% Field Goal

Again... the Lakers need to do their due diligence. If Edey falls to us, we take him, no questions asked.

His jumpshot form doesn't look bad and he's very consistent. His game isn't "sexy" but it's effective and efficient and defenses HAVE to adjust to him. At the NBA level he'd pull gravity on offense and if our guys are shooting our threes well that opens up. But just having a presence inside like him opens up a lot, ask the Nuggets how well that can work.

He's also a multi-year college guy, and those guys can contribute a lot faster out of the gate than one year college guys.

Are we going to feed him the ball enough to make him a 27PPG scorer at the NBA level? Most likely not. Is it great to have a big body like him that can score inside, block shots and rebound extremely well and move Davis to the 4? Yes...

He's also only 21. Still PLENTY of upside, and still not even in his grown man body yet despite being 280+ pounds. Get him on an NBA regimen and weight program? Benefit tremendously. There's maybe 3 other centers in the league his size now, and that's Lopez, Jokic and Embiid.

Most surprising thing for his size and weight is how well he stays with other bigs and guards off the pick and roll

You've been talking about Edey for a minute now and I gotta say, I think you're onto something. The kid dominates games in so many ways. Can't teach size but he's also very skilled, has a great feel for the game on both ends, and is still young and developing. As a 2nd rounder he's a huge steal.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:25 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
MJST wrote:
Zach Edey Last 11 Games

27.6 PPG
12.7 RPG
2.8 APG
2.1 BPG
60.2% Field Goal

You've been talking about Edey for a minute now and I gotta say, I think you're onto something. The kid dominates games in so many ways. Can't teach size but he's also very skilled, has a great feel for the game on both ends, and is still young and developing. As a 2nd rounder he's a huge steal.
Mos Def!
Plus the big fella is motivated to work hard in order to improve. Aside from his skill set, I like his focus, intensity and will to win.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:26 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
2019 wrote:
MJST wrote:
Zach Edey Last 11 Games

27.6 PPG
12.7 RPG
2.8 APG
2.1 BPG
60.2% Field Goal

Mos Def!
Plus the big fella is motivated to work hard in order to improve. Aside from his skill set, I like his focus, intensity and will to win.

I'm glad ya'll see it too

It's also very advantageous to have him to body up with the bigger bigs and allow Davis to be the helper on defense and play his natural position again.

Having Edey bodying up against other bigs so AD doesn't have to, or only does on occasion helps us tremendously, as well as the other bigs having to try to stop Edey and their forwards having to stop AD, or if its AD on a switch and the forward is switched onto the 280 pound Edey with the reliable inside game and is a very solid rebounder.. yeah not a matchup they want either.

So it's advantageous to us on all fronts. Edey seems a capable line of defense and very good rebounder, but he'd also have AD backing him up on the help side and Edey has a very solid upside. Without a jumper he's elite inside and very consistent to the point of drawing doubles and additionally a fantastic rebounder against pressure and capable defender. If we get him working with Phil Handy and he gets a mid range and/or spot up three down? Yeah...
Yama
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:46 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Zach Edey Last 11 Games

27.6 PPG
12.7 RPG
2.8 APG
2.1 BPG
60.2% Field Goal

Im starting to get on the Edey bandwagon too, a lot of people are saying he's just a Boban, what do you think will separate Edey from Boban on the next level? (I'm not arguing that he is a Boban just genuinely want to know what you think about that)
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:24 am    Post subject:

I wouldn’t mind him as a backup bigman. Idk how he matches up with Wemby tho and that’s what teams will be looking for now that he has taken the NBA by storm. Gotta have an answer for him going forward or you’re screwed.

Teams used to have several bigs on the bench for Shaq…

MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:12 am    Post subject:

Yama wrote:
MJST wrote:
Zach Edey Last 11 Games

27.6 PPG
12.7 RPG
2.8 APG
2.1 BPG
60.2% Field Goal

Im starting to get on the Edey bandwagon too, a lot of people are saying he's just a Boban, what do you think will separate Edey from Boban on the next level? (I'm not arguing that he is a Boban just genuinely want to know what you think about that)

Better passer, faster, more mobile, more athletic, better defender, better offensive bag, additionally very efficient while double/triple teamed and playing at the highest level with a lot of touches.

Those would be the major differences I'd say.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:23 am    Post subject:

Thoughts on rather or not NOP takes this year pick or next year?
jb2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:51 am    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:

Pros of NO taking pick: next year is a much better draft, less salary as we're up against apron, need veterans on roster (not more youth)

Pros of NO deferring til 25: a decent trade chip this summer, AD transaction is finally over, likely a lower pick next year

From the Lakers POV, I see more advantages in NO taking it this year but from what I've read, most NO fans argue that they should and likely will defer. If we end up with it, it's likely getting trade with JHS, Gabe, future firsts for veteran help. But I would not mind finding a way to get Edey as a bench big to groom.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:31 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

Pros of NO taking pick: next year is a much better draft, less salary as we're up against apron, need veterans on roster (not more youth)

Pros of NO deferring til 25: a decent trade chip this summer, AD transaction is finally over, likely a lower pick next year

From the Lakers POV, I see more advantages in NO taking it this year but from what I've read, most NO fans argue that they should and likely will defer. If we end up with it, it's likely getting trade with JHS, Gabe, future firsts for veteran help. But I would not mind finding a way to get Edey as a bench big to groom.

The Lakers are likely to be a better team next year with those under contract:
AD
Rui
LBJ/Vando
AR
Dlo

And they add with trade using draft capital/Vincent/JHS:
10ppg/10rpg/1bpg big body backup C
10ppg/40%from3/1spg defensive stopper back up G/F

Especially If they return:
Wood
Dinwiddie

NOP should take advantage of having a better record this year as it’s too risky for them to wait as it may not be the case next year.
Dominic1981
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:03 am    Post subject:

I’ll say the best thing about Edey is he’s only been playing basketball since he was 16. He was a hockey player growing up in Canada, and an AAU coach talked his mother into having him try basketball. He only averaged about 5 points a game in HS but Painter saw enough in him to give him a shot and his fast development is off the charts.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:56 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

Maybe not the thread for this, but my question is what guys are available out there for Vincent(Contract probably has negative value right now)/JHS/15+Filler (Reddish/Wood/Hayes). We likely wont be able to take back more $$ in trades that we are dealing out since we will over the firs apron. That's 17-21M in outgoing salary. A guy like Dejounte Murray is at 25.5M.

Solid Players like Brodgon, Capela are in that salary range but arent worth the draft capital. Marcus Smart maybe. Caris Levert. Caruso. 2 way guys.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 2 of 18
Jump to: