2024 Laker Draft Thread - Picks 17 and 55
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:24 am    Post subject:

People publicly still think Edey is just a Boban and a vet min level player.

Freaking idiots lol. But yes I hope NBA teams at large keep underrating him.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:02 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
People publicly still think Edey is just a Boban and a vet min level player.

Freaking idiots lol. But yes I hope NBA teams at large keep underrating him.

All the talk about Clingan being the pick over Edey. Well they matched up.

Edey had 37/10 and 2 blocks and Clingan had 11/5 with 2 block and 4 fouls.

I really REALLY hope people keep underrating Edey, because if the Lakers get him and allow AD to move back to the 4 but also be a last line of defense to help Edey on the help side... it bodes VERY well for us.

Edey being a 4 year college kid and ready to contribute right away, with a consistent inside game and already height and size at an NBA level. Just get him on the NBA regiment and work with Phil Handy... yeah.

Zach Edey being mentored by both AD and LeBron, working with Phil Handy, being 7'3 and 270 pounds and still hasn't gotten his man-body or man-strength yet and put on an NBA training regiment? Yeah I'll take that on the Lakers 10 out of 10 times, and having AD next to him helps us defensively as well. It was fun watching him pick and roll lobbing vs Uconn and scoring with ease vs a center the same size as him and was known as a more athletic and defensive stopper and Edey torched him for 37/10.

Again, I hope they keep underrating Edey, I'll gladly take him on the Lakers and have him matching up against bigger centers and drawing gravity in the paint while leaving our 3 point shooters open, and/or allowing AD or LeBron to be in single coverage.

The future of the league, before people realize it, is going to be big men whom are dominant but can pass out to three point shooters.

The three point shooting boom in the NBA can only be enhanced by dominant centers. The league as a whole hasn't figured that out yet.. but Jokic and Embiid are showing that.

Imagine Shaq in today's league surrounded by players that hit 40% from three on high volume...

Getting a dominant big like Edey whom already has the size, the dominant post game, is a pick and roll threat, and does have defensive upside... what he gets in the NBA with the right team is more polish and in better shape. Which is alredy good. Now make that team the Lakers, and make that player development coach Phil Handy..

You see the wonders he's done for players like Thomas Bryant and Jaxson Hayes. Now doing it for the Lakers with a talent like Edey? Yes please.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:49 am    Post subject:

Denny_Russo wrote:
The swap will be next year because the Pels will have a worse record.

there is no swap left.
Pelicans can choose to take our FRP this year or next year
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:52 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Edey doing something only Kareem and Walton have done in a Championship game

Levels. But like I said... keep underrating Edey.. better chance he'll fall to us.

unfortunately, after the NCAA tournament, he probably played himself into later first round, so unless we are willing to use the FRP (which we may not own), we won't be able to get him in the 2nd round(our 2nd round is late).
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:46 pm    Post subject:

Edey looks like another Okafor. I’ve watched him his whole career and he has obvious skill and talent but his weaknesses shine bright in the NBA. He lacks athleticism and has s slow footed. There was a play last night where a UConn player put the ball up under the basket, missed and tipped it, missed and tipped it in the third time. Edey was there and got one jump in to the UConn player’s 3 jumps.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:17 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
MJST wrote:

Levels. But like I said... keep underrating Edey.. better chance he'll fall to us.

unfortunately, after the NCAA tournament, he probably played himself into later first round, so unless we are willing to use the FRP (which we may not own), we won't be able to get him in the 2nd round(our 2nd round is late).

Yahoo released a new mock draft today and they still have Edey going in the 2nd round. Like I said. They can keep underrating him. As long as we don't.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:02 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
MJST wrote:

Yahoo released a new mock draft today and they still have Edey going in the 2nd round. Like I said. They can keep underrating him. As long as we don't.

CBS has him 22nd after the tournament, and I think a team in the late first may take a flier on him. I personally wouldn’t draft him with our FRP(in case NOP decline).
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:14 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
MJST wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
MJST wrote:

CBS has him 22nd after the tournament, and I think a team in the late first may take a flier on him. I personally wouldn’t draft him with our FRP(in case NOP decline).

I don't get why we wouldn't. Getting a dominant inside center with his skill level and ability to score, moving AD back to the 4 full time, and having him as the backup defender on the help side, and having Edey to body up against the bigger centers instead of AD.

Yeah I'll take that. Edey is on a different level to Clingan and it shows. Edey is the guy people will regret passing on because his game isn't 'sexy' and they say he just has a hook shot.. over either shoulder and with both hands.

If you're dropping 37-40 with that hook shot, it's all you need.

At the NBA level they still can't defend the post. And I think him + NBA shape + working with Phil Handy, nets us a steal at that position. Having a dominant inside center but also allowing AD to move to the 4 full time I'll take any day.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:53 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
MJST wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
MJST wrote:

I don't get why we wouldn't. Getting a dominant inside center with his skill level and ability to score, moving AD back to the 4 full time, and having him as the backup defender on the help side, and having Edey to body up against the bigger centers instead of AD.

Yeah I'll take that. Edey is on a different level to Clingan and it shows. Edey is the guy people will regret passing on because his game isn't 'sexy' and they say he just has a hook shot.. over either shoulder and with both hands.

At the NBA level they still can't defend the post. And I think him + NBA shape + working with Phil Handy, nets us a steal at that position. Having a dominant inside center but also allowing AD to move to the 4 full time I'll take any day.

This is a weak draft, but tons of front court players, I know Edey is an interesting prospect, but our pick (more likely lottery) is too valuable. Other centers might be more NBA ready especially on defense
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:15 am    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
MJST wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
MJST wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
MJST wrote:

This is a weak draft, but tons of front court players, I know Edey is an interesting prospect, but our pick (more likely lottery) is too valuable. Other centers might be more NBA ready especially on defense

There is no center more NBA ready currently than Edey. He is a 4 year college guy and played at the highest level for that period of time, and just became only the 3rd player to have 35/10 in a Finals game, with only Kareem and Walton being the other two. That's elite company.

People worry way too much about Edey's defense, he's no worse than Jokic was when he came into the league, and Jokic is still bad defensively but occasionally can use his size to take up space. The trade off is that no one can defend Jokic inside and because he can pass out of doubles he finds teammates open for three. That is the trade off and it took the Nuggets a few years to have that consistently around him, with injuries and unfortunate circumstances happening etc.

Currently the Lakers are the #2 three point shooting team while they've been on this run with the new starters. I am completely fine with that.

Edey has defensive upside and want on that end, Clingan was supposed to be the best defensive big in the draft and Edey just dropped 37/10 on him while holding him to 11/5 and 4 fouls.

Clingan again is in the Mitchell Robinson kind of center mold. But those kinds of centers at their ceiling you want is a Dwight Howard, but they can just as easily be a Willie Cauley-Stein. Edey is more a sure thing on the offensive end, and defensively he has the size and length to bother at the rim. Regardless if his second jump is elite, Jokic can't jump over a phone book and it hasn't cost his team as of yet because of what else they get.

I know athleticism is 'sexy', but I'd rather have someone whom is 'unathletic' but can get 37-40 points with a hook shot over either shoulder and draw gravity, over a guy who is athletic but will just as soon give you 11/4 as he would 20/10. LeBron isn't going to be 'the guy' for our team in the near future, maybe a year at most. We need someone that's actually going to be an offensive threat and pull gravity from the defense. And I am fine with going twin towers with Edey and AD as it moves AD to the 4 primarily.

To me Edey's defensive upside isn't enough to deter me from the offensive floor he's at which is already high level in the NBA.

Again, put him with Phil Handy, get him in NBA shape and watch what he can do. We just need to be the team that gets him, not a team going nowhere where their player development sucks.
lakersfan32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:46 am    Post subject:

too bad this guy is not lebron's son

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/39914681/isaiah-collier-headed-nba-draft-freshman-season-usc
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:02 am    Post subject:

Move up to get Eddy? Worth the risk.

Sheed thinks he should be a number 1 pick.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:39 am    Post subject:

lakersfan32 wrote:
too bad this guy is not lebron's son

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/39914681/isaiah-collier-headed-nba-draft-freshman-season-usc

I'm gonna take a wild guess.

Semi athletic point guard that can't shoot?
Strength is getting to the basket, but is also a bad free throw shooter?
Gives you 4-5 assists but also 3+ Turnovers but people think he's a point guard?
Freshman?
All of the above?
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:39 am    Post subject:

Pick and roll athletic defensive upside centers are a dime a dozen in college. Some pan out in the league, and others do not. But there's plenty of those in this draft outside of Clingan. I'd argue that Yves Missi is more athletic than Clingan but that's just me.

But it's the same kind of mold/style of center in the college league that go pro. Pick and roll primary, athletic dunker, defensive upside. You see those come in the draft very often and they could range from Dwight Howard to Willie Cauley Stein.

But a talent like Edey's at his size and ability is not the norm.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:56 am    Post subject:

But okay. Ya'll know I'm on the Edey bandwagon. Let's talk about some guards.

Isaiah Collier is a name? I think there's a prospect better than him at the guard position.

Dillon Jones, you don't hear too much about him, but he's a 6'6 shooting guard/small forward, that spent 4 years in college, can be a walking triple double and averaged basically 20/10/5 this season.

The best way I could describe him is... imagine if Hachimura was a point forward.
His 30/23/9 game this season

If you want a prospect you want LeBron working with and molding that is going to be available in our range, Jones is your guy.

But if you want Klay 2.0 especially when it comes to the kind of player you'd want to put next to DLO, a three point sniper with size and high volume three point shooting? Dalton Knecht is your guy.

However I'm afraid.. his performance in the tournament may have turned him into a high end lottery pick instead of a guy that we could steal. That 37 points vs Purdue was definitely position boosting.

mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:12 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
MJST wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
MJST wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
MJST wrote:

There is no center more NBA ready currently than Edey. He is a 4 year college guy and played at the highest level for that period of time, and just became only the 3rd player to have 35/10 in a Finals game, with only Kareem and Walton being the other two. That's elite company.

People worry way too much about Edey's defense, he's no worse than Jokic was when he came into the league, and Jokic is still bad defensively but occasionally can use his size to take up space. The trade off is that no one can defend Jokic inside and because he can pass out of doubles he finds teammates open for three. That is the trade off and it took the Nuggets a few years to have that consistently around him, with injuries and unfortunate circumstances happening etc.

Currently the Lakers are the #2 three point shooting team while they've been on this run with the new starters. I am completely fine with that.

Edey has defensive upside and want on that end, Clingan was supposed to be the best defensive big in the draft and Edey just dropped 37/10 on him while holding him to 11/5 and 4 fouls.

Clingan again is in the Mitchell Robinson kind of center mold. But those kinds of centers at their ceiling you want is a Dwight Howard, but they can just as easily be a Willie Cauley-Stein. Edey is more a sure thing on the offensive end, and defensively he has the size and length to bother at the rim. Regardless if his second jump is elite, Jokic can't jump over a phone book and it hasn't cost his team as of yet because of what else they get.

I know athleticism is 'sexy', but I'd rather have someone whom is 'unathletic' but can get 37-40 points with a hook shot over either shoulder and draw gravity, over a guy who is athletic but will just as soon give you 11/4 as he would 20/10. LeBron isn't going to be 'the guy' for our team in the near future, maybe a year at most. We need someone that's actually going to be an offensive threat and pull gravity from the defense. And I am fine with going twin towers with Edey and AD as it moves AD to the 4 primarily.

To me Edey's defensive upside isn't enough to deter me from the offensive floor he's at which is already high level in the NBA.

Again, put him with Phil Handy, get him in NBA shape and watch what he can do. We just need to be the team that gets him, not a team going nowhere where their player development sucks.

Moving AD to the 4 is not an option until lebron retires or AD’s jumper returns and I hope people see that, he can be back up to AD and we can even build our bench offense around that. There is just no spacing with him and AD together.
We gave up tons of transition points as is because lebron and AD are super slow getting back, and then you add Edey, good luck.
Our current draft position is likely lottery, and that’s a tricky spot in a weak draft. I doubt the lakers would go edey, but I personally hope they will.
Honestly I would hope the lakers can make a run at Jonas Valančiūnas this summer (highly unlikely), but he would be a good fit.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:46 pm    Post subject:

If we don’t trade our pick we should be picking 15-18 right? Whoever we pick should be a player ready to contribute right away. If Edey falls out of the lottery i say go for it. I’m not sure he will fit in today’s NBA but I know he will be ready on day 1. We don’t need project players that may or may not pan out. We are in win now mode.

Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:52 am    Post subject:

An interesting pick might be Kel-el Ware. He's 7'0 with a 7'7 wingspan. Athletic defensive big who also shown he has some touch on the perimeter. Could be an exciting with pick next to AD.

PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:20 am    Post subject:

You may be on to something with ware…sign me up!

I’m all in for a bigman prospect even if he’s not game ready right now. I’d prefer someone with 4 years experience that we can throw into the rotation right away though.

PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:32 am    Post subject:

Ware > edey as an nba prospect!

If both are on the board la better take ware!

We are in the Wemby era…mobile bigmen are going to be the wave until this man retires. Gotta have one. I feel bad for edey but that’s what you gotta think about when drafting centers while Wemby is in the nba. Wemby would demolish edey and it isn’t even a debate.

Someone like ware has punchers chance!

JustaObserver
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:36 am    Post subject:

Looking at the video but Kel-el Ware seems great too.

Good Hops and anticipation for the block. Some of the blocks he swatted into the stands which you really dont want to see as you hoping he can block then control..but you did see that also with him hitting some shots onto the backboard with just enough force to grab it off the backboard .

I also liked the step back midrange shot. That was really nice to see from a bigman.

He run the floor well and seems to have good hand for the lob prospect but he trying to hammer it down to hard because if he misses a little the ball goes flying up in the air.

He needs to gain a few pounds to his frame as he might get pushed around like AD does by bigger Centers. However not too many big centers in todays NBA and if you got both AD and Him out there that could turn into a nightmare for any team...He adds something different than Hayes he more seems like a Cwood that actually likes to play on the defensive side..but it would also matter on the coach he has.

He also knows how to pass out of double teams and seems able to make the correct pass to the open man.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:25 am    Post subject:

I think NO takes our pick. If they don't, I want Devon Carter. Kid is a special defender (perimeter, shot blocker, very strong for his size). He is also a good rebounder, has a good outside shot, and can penetrate. He does not have the tools to be a PG and is a little undersized for shooting guard. His defense alone will keep him on the floor (he is that good).
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:31 am    Post subject:

Latest ESPN mock has us taking Kyle Filipowski from Duke. They have Miami taking Edey 1 pick before ours.

Quote:
The Pelicans have the rights to this Lakers pick but are expected to defer it to 2025, in what should be a deeper draft. Assuming that happens, the Lakers can keep getting younger on the fringes of their roster. Los Angeles could use long-term frontcourt depth in particular, and Filipowski's versatility and playmaking ability supply the type of skill set the current role players lack. It may take him some time to adjust, and he'll need to become a more consistent shooter, but his size/skill combination is certainly of interest. -- Woo

CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:10 am    Post subject:

I don't want Edey. He isn't fast enough to get back and play defense. Also can't switch and he can't guard Joker just because he is big. Lol.. Joker will take him out to the 3 point like and expose the defense
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:39 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Latest ESPN mock has us taking Kyle Filipowski from Duke. They have Miami taking Edey 1 pick before ours.

Quote:
The Pelicans have the rights to this Lakers pick but are expected to defer it to 2025, in what should be a deeper draft. Assuming that happens, the Lakers can keep getting younger on the fringes of their roster. Los Angeles could use long-term frontcourt depth in particular, and Filipowski's versatility and playmaking ability supply the type of skill set the current role players lack. It may take him some time to adjust, and he'll need to become a more consistent shooter, but his size/skill combination is certainly of interest. -- Woo

JHS Jaime Aura
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9
Jump to: