Should the Lakers tank the first play-in game to avoid Denver?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Tank the play-in game against New Orleans to avoid Denver?
Yes
16%
 16%  [ 14 ]
No
83%
 83%  [ 71 ]
Total Votes : 85

lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:31 am    Post subject:

lakers4life78 wrote:
Losing in the first round and losing in the third round to Denver makes zero difference to me. Can’t get it done, can’t get it done.

Why are you assuming Denver would beat Wolves or Suns in the second round? They only look flawless and dominating against the Lakers because of matchup. Wolves and Suns have no matchup issue against Denver.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:38 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
lakers4life78 wrote:
Losing in the first round and losing in the third round to Denver makes zero difference to me. Can’t get it done, can’t get it done.

Why are you assuming Denver would beat Wolves or Suns in the second round? They only look flawless and dominating against the Lakers because of matchup. Wolves and Suns have no matchup issue against Denver.

Why are you assuming they wouldn't? Season series are not a good indicator of post-season success, prior Laker champions (and other champions) often lost season series to some playoff opponents (Portland used to be a regular season nemesis for the Lakers e.g.) but yet managed to beat them in the playoffs when they got a chance to focus and prepare.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:31 pm    Post subject:

In retrospect, Lakers should have done whatever was necessary to avoid the Nuggets. It' simple...we just don't match up with that team, just like the Thunder and Pelicans don't match up with us. Some times, you just have to accept what is, without all the emotions and chest thumping. Denver is just a better team than the Lakers. I think we can handle every other team in the West except Denver. In fact, I won't be surprised if we get swept again, dammit.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:59 pm    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
lakers4life78 wrote:

Why are you assuming they wouldn't? Season series are not a good indicator of post-season success, prior Laker champions (and other champions) often lost season series to some playoff opponents (Portland used to be a regular season nemesis for the Lakers e.g.) but yet managed to beat them in the playoffs when they got a chance to focus and prepare.

You’re right. You can’t assume anything. But the night DLo hit that 3 to beat the Pelicans our season ended. If we lose to the Pelicans, at least we keep hope alive until Friday against the kings…and if we beat the Kings we keep hope alive for the 1st round, 2nd round, and god willing, the WCF if Denver doesn’t make it. By beating the Pelicans we ended our season on Tuesday night.

Unless we beat Denver on Monday night, then everything changes
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:04 pm    Post subject:

Win or go home, wimp-out is not an option. Play the game, if they are better
than give it your best shot.

And for whatever it’s worth LeGramps, again, is not winning a ring here. FO
is selling tickets, celebrating his accolades but that’s it. Nothing else to
see here…
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:58 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
lakers4life78 wrote:

Its not a matchup issue. Its a 4th qtr execution issue and Denver will kick everyone's ass issue. Last year once Booker came down to earth, you saw the real Suns, a team inferior to the Lakers and would have lost to the Lakers had they matchup'd last year with generally their horrible shot quality made up for the fact that Booker/Durant are so good. But the fundamental matchup vs the Suns always favored the Lakers. If Im the Nuggets, as little concern I have for the Lakers, I have even less for the Timberwolves and/or Suns.

Last edited by 1995Lakers on Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:04 pm    Post subject:

But yes, I voted to tank and OKC is proving what hot garbage it really is. And let there be no doubt: They are an unworthy #1 seed.

As for seasons series: there is a difference between losing the series to the Nuggets and a team like the Warriors for example: The Warriors fluked into 3 wins vs the Lakers cause of injuries/scheduling. The one time both teams met at even strength and were going all out, the Lakers showed they were still slightly better as the game going into double OT was a fluky luck for the Warriors in itself (they were getting outplayed slightly for the most part). The Nuggets just kicked our asses all 3 times.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:19 pm    Post subject:

We would have destroyed OKC.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:49 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

I’m not sure this team is worthy enough to have the fan base talking cocky
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:52 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

You either didnt watch the game or have no idea what you are talking about. Its not that hard to figure out.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:54 pm    Post subject:

But as to why I was so freaking pissed only at Bron throughout the game yesterday. Here is further justification. D'Lo was poor results with decent process for the most part. Bron was bad results with bad process that cost the team the lead and any chance of a comeback.

Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:05 pm    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

You either didnt watch the game or have no idea what you are talking about. It’s not that hard to figure out.

I need to see more from this team in the playoffs for me to feel confident
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:22 pm    Post subject:

This is where we really need Darvin in order to win. Im sure the Lakers go through lulls in execution because of either human nature or being demoralized and that deficit can turn big in a hurry. Darvin needs to sense when the Lakers are about to go on these lulls as they start to get lazy and stop running their sets. Call a freaking timeout ASAP to regather the troops so they actually run their sets. This is the one team we cant have these free-wheeling moments when we arent completely focused. The gap in PPP between when the Lakers run their sets and when they get sloppy and free-wheel is the size of the grand freaking canyon.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:31 pm    Post subject:

Anyone’s opinion changed after this? OKC looking very beatable.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:36 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

Yet they haven’t been. We have though
ducasse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 12:46 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

I think they would have beaten OKC but it would have been a tough series, six or seven games, that would have taken a lot of effort to win.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 1:17 pm    Post subject:

A one game elimination game is way riskier than a seven game series. One of their player can get hot while one of our player can get cold, there’s no couple games to balance it out.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 3:02 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
A Lakers team with LeBron and AD healthy the whole year didn't even make the playoffs!
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 5:19 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
A one game elimination game is way riskier than a seven game series. One of their player can get hot while one of our player can get cold, there’s no couple games to balance it out.

I agree it could be very risky but take a look at the "reward". You would swap your odds in the first round going from being heavy underdog to being favored against OKC, which is quite incredible for that big of a swing in odds. So you'd basically take on the additional risk of getting eliminated in the play-in in exchange for reducing the risk of getting eliminated in the first round.

I've predicted many years ago that the Lakers would be mediocre for a long time as long as Jeanie remains owner even with Lebron helping out. This was a "golden opportunity" for us to win another championship so I don't know when we would ever get another one. That's why I wanted so badly to "maximize" our chances of winning it this year. My heart sank when Zion got hurt because I really thought Pelicans would come back and win that game and the Lakers would get lucky again.

If the Wolves beat the Nuggets, this could have been OUR championship this year!!!

My Prediction:

R1: Lakers over OKC 4-1
R2: Lakers over Mavs 4-2
WCF: Lakers over Wolves 4-3
Finals: Lakers over g-league team 4-2
Sojo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 6:21 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Yet they haven’t been. We have though

The faith of a Laker fan, no matter what's presented to us, we think we're either one step away or we would've beat this OTHER team had we not played them.

Damn the actual results as they play out.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 9:02 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
governator wrote:

I agree it could be very risky but take a look at the "reward". You would swap your odds in the first round going from being heavy underdog to being favored against OKC, which is quite incredible for that big of a swing in odds. So you'd basically take on the additional risk of getting eliminated in the play-in in exchange for reducing the risk of getting eliminated in the first round.

I've predicted many years ago that the Lakers would be mediocre for a long time as long as Jeanie remains owner even with Lebron helping out. This was a "golden opportunity" for us to win another championship so I don't know when we would ever get another one. That's why I wanted so badly to "maximize" our chances of winning it this year. My heart sank when Zion got hurt because I really thought Pelicans would come back and win that game and the Lakers would get lucky again.

If the Wolves beat the Nuggets, this could have been OUR championship this year!!!

My Prediction:

I don’t think that the Lakers would beat the Mavs or Wolves
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 2:49 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
governator wrote:

My Prediction:

Did you also think the Lakers could beat the Nuggets? If so, then what you think isn't very accurate. Mavs couldn't even contain Zubac. AD would destroy them. Wolves are one of two teams that have the size to neutralize AD. While I think it could be a very tough series for the Lakers, it wouldn't have been as challenging as playing the Nuggets.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 3:20 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

Too soon to tell. Have to see if anyone beats Denver.

If nobody does. Dodging them wouldn't have mattered. If Minny does. That makes things interesting.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 7:36 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
governator wrote:

My Prediction:

Did you also think the Lakers could beat the Nuggets? If so, then what you think isn't very accurate. Mavs couldn't even contain Zubac. AD would destroy them. Wolves are one of two teams that have the size to neutralize AD. While I think it could be a very tough series for the Lakers, it wouldn't have been as challenging as playing the Nuggets.

No, I didn’t think that they beat Denver either. They were a 7/8 seed for a reason, and this time it wasn’t the health of the stars. The team wasn’t balanced, they were very guard heavy.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 8:28 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
governator wrote:

My Prediction:

No, I didn’t think that they beat Denver either. They were a 7/8 seed for a reason, and this time it wasn’t the health of the stars. The team wasn’t balanced, they were very guard heavy.
Agree. With CWood and Vanderbilt out, along with Rui not being very aggressive hence ineffective on boh ends of the court - AD's efforts were for naught. With LBR, with his responsibilities on offense, wasn't able to help out in the front court.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7
Jump to: