No more excuses for Reaves
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:41 am    Post subject:

Solid 6th man and that is about what his salary is.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:45 am    Post subject:

I see it as irresponsible hate to put this on AR. He shot respectably 2-6 from 3 and >50% overall with double digit points. Some point the finger at Dlo but the team covered for LBJ’s 6-20 against NOP in the game before and they should have been able to cover for Dlo’s 6-20 in this game against Denver.

Vincent/Dinwidde/Hayes getting zero points (blame Rob for that), Lebron’s 7 turnovers, gettting out rebounded (Rob’s fault), and lack of utilizing Rui (Ham’s fault), seems to be more of the cause for the loss.

Hope I’m wrong but I didn’t see this team with Rob’s poor roster construction and Ham’s poor coaching as ever having a chance of competing legitimately for a title this season.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:55 am    Post subject:

TMG wrote:
Someone explain to me why Reaves is getting all the blame when DLO shat the bed like he usually does in the post season?

Its crazy and I totally agree. Sure I would have liked for him to score more but I thought he played a good game. He was good defensively and protected the rock (maybe the only player who did).
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:27 pm    Post subject:

On one hand people are blaming Reaves. On the other they don’t want to trade him for Trae Young. Make it make sense.

Reaves has far overachieved so far in his stint in the NBA. Asking for anymore or putting any blame on him when there are at least 3 more pivotal players on the team is senile.

Also expecting him to be close to or as important as Tyler (bleep) Herro is another amazing take I’ll remember forever.
Japago
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:51 pm    Post subject:

Neither him, nor D'Lo are good enough to be the 3rd best player with the current day versions of LeBron and AD. I don't know if they can do it on any team, but definitely not on one that doesn't have a prime, top-tier superstar.

They've played a lot of good basketball this season. They've had big performances here or there. They've bounced back a stretch of bad basketball earlier in the season.

But they have too many flaws against the true elite teams. They can't play defense. They can be completely shut down with the right defensive game plan. The Nuggets have figured him out after he played well against them in the playoffs last year.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:12 pm    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
TMG wrote:
Someone explain to me why Reaves is getting all the blame when DLO shat the bed like he usually does in the post season?

Its crazy and I totally agree. Sure I would have liked for him to score more but I thought he played a good game. He was good defensively and protected the rock (maybe the only player who did).

Check the box score, AR wasn’t the only player that protected the rock. BRon had 7 TO’s, AD had 2, nobody else had more than 1 and most had zero.

The whole team protector the rock except for Lebron. AR gets mythical props from much of the fanbase giving too much credit. Good job protecting the rock AR, like everyone else not named Lebron.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:15 pm    Post subject:

Japago wrote:
Neither him, nor D'Lo are good enough to be the 3rd best player with the current day versions of LeBron and AD. I don't know if they can do it on any team, but definitely not on one that doesn't have a prime, top-tier superstar.

They've played a lot of good basketball this season. They've had big performances here or there. They've bounced back a stretch of bad basketball earlier in the season.

But they have too many flaws against the true elite teams. They can't play defense. They can be completely shut down with the right defensive game plan. The Nuggets have figured him out after he played well against them in the playoffs last year.

With a legitimate back up C and a Schroeder type player in the back court (which the roster should have been constructed as such) this team with AD/LBJ leading and Dlo as the 3rd best player would be legitimately in the hunt for a ship.

The Lakers have been winning at a rate that makes it seem like one or two role players would put them over the edge for a title. They haven’t looked like they’re completely out of it and don’t look far away as you and many others falsely claim.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:03 am    Post subject:

Hanging from Rafters wrote:
RI Laker wrote:
TMG wrote:

Check the box score, AR wasn’t the only player that protected the rock. BRon had 7 TO’s, AD had 2, nobody else had more than 1 and most had zero.

The whole team protector the rock except for Lebron. AR gets mythical props from much of the fanbase giving too much credit. Good job protecting the rock AR, like everyone else not named Lebron.

The guy played 37 minutes and got a lot of touches. I wouldn't compare him to players who get spot minutes and don't touch the ball. I would also add that not all TO's are the same. He was 5-9 from the floor and played very good D. Why there is a post about him befuddles the mind. We lost this game because of DLO (horrible game) followed by Rui (he forgot to show up).
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:25 am    Post subject:

You are delusional

-Reaves is the lowest paid starter
-Reaves is 4th on the totem poll
-Reaves plays with Lebron and Davis
-Reaves did a very good job on Murray because no other starter will

-See Lebron, Davis, Russell and Rui for who needs to improve.

For comparison Denver top 5

Jokic - 26
Murray - 21
Porter - 17
Gordon - 14
Pope - 10

Somehow Reaves is supposed to average 20+ as the 4th or 5th wheel? What drugs are you sniffing?
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:51 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
You are delusional

Jokic - 26
Murray - 21
Porter - 17
Gordon - 14
Pope - 10

Somehow Reaves is supposed to average 20+ as the 4th or 5th wheel? What drugs are you sniffing?

Agree 1000%.
Reaves is a solid player. Not every game is perfect but when he doesn't have a stellar game, how soon people jump on trashing him. It's really stupid.
He is getting paid peanuts for what he brings to the table. Again, game 1 wasn't his best but if folks have any memory of last year's playoffs, he was the 3rd star.

I would like to see a better game from Russell and Reaves. I think if they both contribute more at both ends, it will be a series. Also, need to have more Gabe on Murray when needed.

Got to exploit mismatches and not let Denver have a field day with the Lakers...
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:08 am    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
RI Laker wrote:
TMG wrote:

The guy played 37 minutes and got a lot of touches. I wouldn't compare him to players who get spot minutes and don't touch the ball. I would also add that not all TO's are the same. He was 5-9 from the floor and played very good D. Why there is a post about him befuddles the mind. We lost this game because of DLO (horrible game) followed by Rui (he forgot to show up).

I’ve said this over and over…the team won the prev game against NOP with the star #1 option going 6-20…it didn’t lose the last game against Denver because the 3rd option did the same. Even the #2nd option in the NOP win… AD was 6-16…had a subpar shooting night in the win. Sure, call Dlo out for a bad shooting night against Den, he deserves that, but it’s routine in games for players to do as such. What’s not routine is a player having 7 turnovers, (one player with more than half of the team total), with the 7th, 8th, and 9th players off the bench ALL scoring ZERO points.

The team covered for LeBron’s 6-20 to win against NOP…and I get that Den is better but…the team could have covered for Dlo shooting the same 6-20. What they can’t cover for is 7 turnovers by one player and 3 of the 4 reserves scoring NOTHING.

Perhaps the Lakers could have won if Dlo was 5-9 from 3 for 12 more points, but they didn’t lose because of the lack of that. The 7 turnovers from Lebron…it wasn’t a high team turnover game, AD had 2 all others 1 or less…and the ZERO points from the reserves along with getting out rebounded is why the Lakers loss.

Maybe Lebron, Dlo, others like Rui could have played better to overcome the deficiency in the roster construction…maybe even Ham could have schemed a game to overcome it…but the roster construction is the reason for the loss. Poor rebounding, additional reserve paint defense, and poor reserve backcourt defense without offensive liability, has been a problem since this time last year and did not get fixed. Give an E for effort with VinDin and HayWoo, but it wasn’t enough, in the off-season or at the trade deadline.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:44 am    Post subject:

CamReddish wrote:
Solid 6th man and that is about what his salary is.

Exactly -- he's a solid off the bench guy but not a starter for a championship team.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:57 am    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
RI Laker wrote:
Everyone knows if you do not have something nice to say, don't say it. In regards to this post......

Except you did say something.

Reaves did walk the ball methodically down the court and hand it off.

DLo does need to shoot until he breaks his mental block.

I forget if it was Reaves or DLo, but one of them had a defender fall down, leaving them with an open three yet they passed in the corner to Rui for a contested a shot.

This is gutless play that I remember Lonzo used to do when he was struggling with his confidence.

Those three need to remain aggressive all game or they have no chance.

Instead we kept forcing it to AD and Bron. Those two played well but the complete failure of AR, DLo, Rui allowed Denver to choke us out at the end.

Someone said to play Vincent more, and it's not like he was doing anything either. He got three quick fouls and zero points. Dinwiddie zero, Hayes zero.

This game should have been won. Denver plays good defense but it wasn't like there were no open shots.

Exact same crap I watched last playoffs. Winnable game, lost by players unable to do their regular season jobs.

Darvin, is that you?

Did you even read the part where I called myself out for "horrible coaching"
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:30 am    Post subject:

Honestly not sure how much more we can expect from AR. He played a decent to good game in game one. He did a very solid job chasing Murray, no easy task, and helped to make Murray look mortal instead of super human like Murray did last year against us. He chipped in on offense. You can complain he wasn’t aggressive looking for his own shot, but that didn’t seem to be the game plan. We were trying to get Bron, AD, and Dlo shots with the other guys just chipping in where they could.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:45 am    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
RI Laker wrote:
TMG wrote:

I’ve said this over and over…the team won the prev game against NOP with the star #1 option going 6-20…it didn’t lose the last game against Denver because the 3rd option did the same. Even the #2nd option in the NOP win… AD was 6-16…had a subpar shooting night in the win. Sure, call Dlo out for a bad shooting night against Den, he deserves that, but it’s routine in games for players to do as such. What’s not routine is a player having 7 turnovers, (one player with more than half of the team total), with the 7th, 8th, and 9th players off the bench ALL scoring ZERO points.

The team covered for LeBron’s 6-20 to win against NOP…and I get that Den is better but…the team could have covered for Dlo shooting the same 6-20. What they can’t cover for is 7 turnovers by one player and 3 of the 4 reserves scoring NOTHING.

Perhaps the Lakers could have won if Dlo was 5-9 from 3 for 12 more points, but they didn’t lose because of the lack of that. The 7 turnovers from Lebron…it wasn’t a high team turnover game, AD had 2 all others 1 or less…and the ZERO points from the reserves along with getting out rebounded is why the Lakers loss.

Maybe Lebron, Dlo, others like Rui could have played better to overcome the deficiency in the roster construction…maybe even Ham could have schemed a game to overcome it…but the roster construction is the reason for the loss. Poor rebounding, additional reserve paint defense, and poor reserve backcourt defense without offensive liability, has been a problem since this time last year and did not get fixed. Give an E for effort with VinDin and HayWoo, but it wasn’t enough, in the off-season or at the trade deadline.

DLO and RUI left 12 points on the table (from their season average) and shot a combined 8-24 (courtesy of DLO). Anyone saying that AR had a hand in the loss is just not being candid and maybe should be focusing on the front and not the back of the jersey.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:58 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
You are delusional

Jokic - 26
Murray - 21
Porter - 17
Gordon - 14
Pope - 10

That's all true, but we all thought he'd take another leap this year and be worth way more than his contract. Everyone said we had a great deal on his contract. His game didn't take any leaps this year, and would be perfect timing for it to happen now... tonight. LOL!
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:40 pm    Post subject:

I'd say look at Reaves numbers.

If you were going to say for any other player "He should have been more aggressive." then you say it for Reaves.

The night you're having matters and what you do with that aggression.

Rui escapes criticism for his 7 points, Reaves escapes it with his 13 because it was an efficient 13. But if you'd say "be more aggressive if you're doing that well." then that's a legit critique.

DLO, Reaves, Rui have to all play better if we're going to beat Denver. That is an absolute.

But know who REALLY REALLY needs to step up? The Lakers bench.

DLO and Reaves can get away with 13-15 points if the bench puts up more than 2....
Brawn13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:24 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

If you were going to say for any other player "He should have been more aggressive." then you say it for Reaves.

Rui escapes criticism for his 7 points, Reaves escapes it with his 13 because it was an efficient 13. But if you'd say "be more aggressive if you're doing that well." then that's a legit critique.

DLO, Reaves, Rui have to all play better if we're going to beat Denver. That is an absolute.

DLO and Reaves can get away with 13-15 points if the bench puts up more than 2....

They have to play better for sure. But think about this for a second.

Every non delusional Laker fan should accept Lebron nor AD is unlikely to outplay Jokic barring a miracle. Now We are asking our role players to outplay the likes of Murray, KCP, MPJ, Aaron Gordon. It’s not fair to expect that of our guys because they are just flat out more talented than what we have.

We can do everything right and we’ll still likely lose. Our guys have to play better AND Denver has to play below their standards to even have a slim chance. They are a tier above us as a team.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:57 pm    Post subject:

Brawn13 wrote:
MJST wrote:

Every non delusional Laker fan should accept Lebron nor AD is unlikely to outplay Jokic barring a miracle. Now We are asking our role players to outplay the likes of Murray, KCP, MPJ, Aaron Gordon. It’s not fair to expect that of our guys because they are just flat out more talented than what we have.

We can do everything right and we’ll still likely lose. Our guys have to play better AND Denver has to play below their standards to even have a slim chance. They are a tier above us as a team.

We didn't do everything right if our bench only had 2 points.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:12 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
defense wrote:
You are delusional

Jokic - 26
Murray - 21
Porter - 17
Gordon - 14
Pope - 10

That's all true, but we all thought he'd take another leap this year and be worth way more than his contract. Everyone said we had a great deal on his contract. His game didn't take any leaps this year, and would be perfect timing for it to happen now... tonight. LOL!

Who's we? Very rarely do 25 year olds make a leap. If anything, his leap was his first full season when he went from barely playing to getting significant minutes including clutch time in a deep playoff run. His salary is the 128th highest this season.

https://www.espn.com/nba/salaries/_/page/4/seasontype/3

Look at the players in that salary group. Now take out the guys on rookie salaries. There's only few guys that are outperforming him at that salary.

I mean seriously, $12M this year for 16/4.3/5.5 on 48.6% and 36.7% from 3. Y'all are really thinking you're going to get more from that salary? Let's say we bump up his point production and assist by 2 and 1 respectively. 18/4.3/6.5 on same efficiency is a guy making $20M+ a year.

I mean some perspective is in order...salaries today are a big jump from the already astronomical leap the league took in 2016.

Last edited by jonnybravo on Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:28 pm    Post subject:

AR played a very good defensive game. If he can do that again tonight and some guys show up tonight, we will all be happy.
Brawn13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:58 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Brawn13 wrote:
MJST wrote:

We didn't do everything right if our bench only had 2 points.

Just saying it’s not only about what we do. We have to optimize what we do and they have to underperform in some manner. The best version of this team is still inferior to the best version of the Nuggets.

I just want our guys compete and battle hard, I can’t hold it against them if we lose. No one in the basketball world thinks we have a chance anyway. Just fight to the bitter end…
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:05 pm    Post subject:

AR need to come off the bench in this series. He’s like worn out trying to stay in front of Murray. He’s doing a decent job but Ham trying to make him something that he is not, a POA defender will not be favorable to us.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:11 pm    Post subject:

You can’t expect super star or even all star contributions from AR, he is not that guy. He is a nice player that complements our stars well.
BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:13 pm    Post subject:

AR is as good as rick fox or maybe devean george, don't expect anything more than that. might be sasha level on a good day
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5
Jump to: