What if the Lakers could beat all teams except the Nuggets?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:09 am    Post subject: What if the Lakers could beat all teams except the Nuggets?

Meaning they would have won championship number 18 had they not run into the Nuggets? How would you feel if we had just squandered away a ridiculously precious championship because of our FO's "bad decision"?

Even though the Nuggets are looking very dominating against the Lakers, they are NOT dominating against other WC elites. Just look at the regular season games and see for yourself. It's all about the matchup, matchup, and matchup. The Lakers do not have the size to compete with Denver but they could handle most other teams since they're not as big.

Path 1: Meet Nuggets in first round and get eliminated

Path 2: 4-1 OKC in R1, 4-2 Clippers in R2, 4-3 Wolves/Suns in WCF, Sweep any finals opponent from the g-league conference. BAM! 18 championships!

Would you be able to sleep at night knowing what it could have been? If the Nuggets fell to any WC team, this championship could have been OURS!!

lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:17 am    Post subject:

There's no beating the Nuggets. Ham's got 8 chances to figure it out and he couldn't and you guys expect him to magically "figure it out" now and beat the Nuggets 4 times?

It's like people just "We want to beat the Nuggets. Bring on the Nuggets. Futch championship." without having any plan at all.

I'd take championship 18 and you could call me coward, scared or dodger or anything you want. I just want the championship. Whatever it takes. There's no "best" team. The team that wins the championship is the one that gets the most "favorable" matchup.

Nuggets might get swept by the Kings but if they don't run into the Kings, then they won't get swept. See? Nuggets don't have to be the best team in order to repeat. Lakers don't have to be the best team in order to win it all. Just have to be the smartest team.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:27 am    Post subject:

If you can’t beat every team you’re not much of a champion.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:32 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

So if the Nuggets couldn't beat the Kings or Suns and they won the championship, then they're not really a champion?
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:36 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
ocho wrote:

So if the Nuggets couldn't beat the Kings or Suns and they won the championship, then they're not really a champion?

Nobody remembers any of that stuff after the playoffs end, they only remember who was the champ.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:37 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
ocho wrote:

Correct. I think they would beat those teams. If you can only achieve a championship by narrowly avoiding the really good teams via fluke then…congrats?
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:42 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
ocho wrote:

Correct. I think they would beat those teams. If you can only achieve a championship by narrowly avoiding the really good teams via fluke then…congrats?

Regular season: Kings are 3-1 against Denver. Lakers are 3-1 OKC. So going by those metrics, Kings are better than Denver, Lakers are better than OKC until proven otherwise.

You could call me anything as long as I got championship 18 because years from now, that'd be the only thing people care about or remember. The end justifies the means.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:47 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
ocho wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
ocho wrote:

Regular season: Kings are 3-1 against Denver. Lakers are 3-1 OKC. So going by those metrics, Kings are better than Denver, Lakers are better than OKC until proven otherwise.

You could call me anything as long as I got championship 18 because years from now, that'd be the only thing people care about or remember. The end justifies the means.

Yeah that’s not how it works. The playoffs aren’t the same as the regular season. If the Nuggets truly couldn’t beat the Kings in a 7 game series, a team that didn’t even make the playoffs, then they don’t deserve to be champions. It’s weird to me that earning the championship means nothing to you when…that’s the whole reason it has any meaning…but ok.
dries
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:48 am    Post subject:

Sweet summer child
petergr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:08 am    Post subject:

IFFF Lakers could beat all teams except Nuggets they would be a top-2 seed not a perennial play-in contender
Kobetan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:56 pm    Post subject:

Like how the Spurs should be Champs and Wemby the finals mvp. They beat the Nugs the other day
Japago
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:05 pm    Post subject:

I REALLY don't understand the thought behind the Lakers being a great team. They just had a mediocre record while LeBron and AD had a healthy season.

Look at the teams the Lakers beat last year. Neither of them made the playoffs this year. Ja was injured and Steven Adams didn't play for Grizzlies. The Warriors were an old team that came off a grueling 7 game series against the Kings. Curry had to drop 50 in game 7 for them to win.

The Lakers are a mediocre team that had a fluky playoff run last season. They got the right breaks to make it to the WCF.
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:05 pm    Post subject:

What if. Lol
Brawn13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:50 pm    Post subject:

We are not good. That’s just the truth. Anyone that thought we could beat the nuggets is delusional. There’s a reason we’re the biggest underdogs in the first round and everyone is predicting a sweep.
I Bleed P&G
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:53 pm    Post subject:

CamReddish wrote:
What if. Lol

Yup, who going to tell these kids life don’t work on what if.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:03 pm    Post subject:

So basically, what if flower petals are laid out in front for your every step in life. LOL!

We throw the game against Pelicans, we then beat Kings at home because of course we will, God is on our side. Another team will take out the Nuggets for us... because again, God is on our side. This FO has squandered many things, but I wouldn't call missing out on this fairytale alternate reality... squandering.
Japago
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:12 pm    Post subject:

Japago wrote:
I REALLY don't understand the thought behind the Lakers being a great team. They just had a mediocre record while LeBron and AD had a healthy season.

Look at the teams the Lakers beat last year. Neither of them made the playoffs this year. Ja was injured and Steven Adams didn't play for Grizzlies. The Warriors were an old team that came off a grueling 7 game series against the Kings. Curry had to drop 50 in game 7 for them to win.

The Lakers are a mediocre team that had a fluky playoff run last season. They got the right breaks to make it to the WCF.

I honestly wish last year's playoff run never happened. I think it deluded the front office into thinking the team is better than they are.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:04 pm    Post subject:

Kobetan wrote:
Like how the Spurs should be Champs and Wemby the finals mvp. They beat the Nugs the other day

See how powerful matchup are? The Spurs as one of the worst teams in the league could beat one of the best teams because they match up well against the Nuggets.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:10 pm    Post subject:

Meanwhile, Pelicans almost beat #1 seed OKC without Zion and a recovering Ingram.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:15 pm    Post subject:

petergr wrote:
IFFF Lakers could beat all teams except Nuggets they would be a top-2 seed not a perennial play-in contender

Utter nonsense and such a simplistic view of events. So OKC is now a worthy #1 seed huh??? Not a team that would have got its asses kicked by the Lakers had they played LA because based on the level showed by the two teams, Lakers would have destroyed OKC with the level of focus they came in yesterday and gave that inexperienced group a real shell shock.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:18 pm    Post subject:

Japago wrote:
Japago wrote:

I honestly wish last year's playoff run never happened. I think it deluded the front office into thinking the team is better than they are.

You are going to see the Timberwolves and/or Suns get their asses kicked again by the Nuggets once the Nuggets advance to the second round and neither team will play the Nuggets better than the Lakers. Neither team played at a consistently higher level than the Lakers last year and the Suns really got by on unsustainably hot mid-range shooting by Booker. Once that fluky shooting ran out, what happened? Straight up ass-wooping by the Nuggets that wasnt even competitive
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:43 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
ocho wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
ocho wrote:

It's easy to look up regular season record vs a team and overvalue it. Lakers were 2-2 vs Nuggets last year and 1 of the losses was a close one when AD and Lebron didn't play. A lot of people actually wanted Denver in the 1st round because they thought that was the easiest matchup last year. The media was talking about how Denver could be a 1st round exit.

Lakers were 1-3 vs the Warriors last year before dominating them in the playoffs.

You can look at regular season head to heads and make it out to be bigger than it actually is. Jamal Murray missed a lot of those Kings games. Do you really think those early season losses really matter in April/May/June?
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:57 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Meanwhile, Pelicans almost beat #1 seed OKC without Zion and a recovering Ingram.

One team has been playing for its life. The other has been sitting. We shall see how that one turns out.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:27 pm    Post subject:

If you want to be the best, you have to beat the best.
Japago
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:26 am    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
Japago wrote:
Japago wrote:

You are going to see the Timberwolves and/or Suns get their asses kicked again by the Nuggets once the Nuggets advance to the second round and neither team will play the Nuggets better than the Lakers. Neither team played at a consistently higher level than the Lakers last year and the Suns really got by on unsustainably hot mid-range shooting by Booker. Once that fluky shooting ran out, what happened? Straight up ass-wooping by the Nuggets that wasnt even competitive

EVERY other team played the Nuggets better than the Lakers last year. Do you not understand that the Lakers didn't win a single game while every other team did?

That's embarrassing when you consider they faced 2 8 seeds. They faced 8, 4, 7, 8.

Last year, I don't think the Lakers beat a healthy Grizzlies team, Suns team, or Clippers team. MIN missed Gobert in the play-in game the Lakers beat them in.

This year, the Clippers and Suns added to their teams. MIN and OKC took steps through player development and added chemistry.

I just don't see them being the 2nd best team in the West either last year or this year. They just got lucky last year with an easy path.

The Lakers were mediocre this season with a mostly healthy team. That's what they are.

Booker was great in both rounds. Booker has that level of talent on offense. He made an NBA finals with old CP3 as his 2nd best player. Don't think that was a fluke. Shooting is a skill. Are you standing on a Charles Barkley platitude?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: