This Lakers Era is Over
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:53 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
troy wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
I wouldn’t mind running it back with AD and LeBron, but my head tells me that we are better off changing things up, this was our best chance with this current cast of core players, the Lakers might regret winning that Pelicans game

"Might?"

The Lakers should have 100% tanked to avoid the Nuggets. I don't care what the optics are on that one, reality is reality, and the reality is that the Nuggets have the Lakers's number, front and back. I think I can safely say that being that the Nuggets have beaten the Lakers 10 times in a row.

Lakers are 1-7 against the Kings the past two years, not much better than against the Nuggets.

My hunch is that we would have beaten the Kings, they looked totally lost and uninterested during the Pelicans game, I think Monk and Huerter getting injured ruined there season, I think the luxury of playing the Nuggets in the WCF had we gotten past the OKC Thunder and 1 of either Minnesota or Clippers that would have made it worth it to lose the Pelicans game because having the momentum after winning 2 rounds is much better when you want to dethrone a team
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:55 pm    Post subject:

In 2019 we all thought the franchise was in deep trouble and going nowhere after missing the playoffs in LeBron's first season here. In fact, some were saying the Lakers should've traded LeBron at that point.

But they made good offseason moves and won the championship the very next season -- and don't give me the BS that we won only because of COVID. We were the best team in the NBA starting sometime in November, and the Clippers looked vulnerable all season long.

If the Lakers make one or two prudent offseason moves and make a clear upgrade at head coach, we could have a real shot at winning it all next season if we're relatively healthy. LeBron is bending the rules of aging and longevity in sports, and AD is an absolute beast who has been working really hard to prove that he's not soft, lazy and unmotivated, as most claim he is.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:58 pm    Post subject:

I've been saying the same thing for awhile now. The championship window for the James/Davis duo ended the moment Pelinka listened to them when he traded for Westbrook.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:06 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
In 2019 we all thought the franchise was in deep trouble and going nowhere after missing the playoffs in LeBron's first season here. In fact, some were saying the Lakers should've traded LeBron at that point.

But they made good offseason moves and won the championship the very next season -- and don't give me the BS that we won only because of COVID. We were the best team in the NBA starting sometime in November, and the Clippers looked vulnerable all season long.

If the Lakers make one or two prudent offseason moves and make a clear upgrade at head coach, we could have a real shot at winning it all next season if we're relatively healthy. LeBron is bending the rules of aging and longevity in sports, and AD is an absolute beast who has been working really hard to prove that he's not soft, lazy and unmotivated, as most claim he is.

Truth spoken, it’s disgusting to me to see so many fans in denial about how this current starting roster have won games. I can’t believe so many are so anxious to go back to the lottery as if they forgot how it was like the several years just before Lebron. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think this current iteration of the Lakers is a championship contender but I do think it’s not so far away that the opportunity should be thrown away.

I was a Lebron hater before he joined the Lakers and would immediately return to that status the second he leaves for another team, but it’s obvious the Lakers still have a chance to compete for a title with LBJ/AD if they just made couple of tweaks to the roster and/or got a coaching upgrade.

Lottery duty is common for all NBA teams so there will be plenty of time in the future for fans to wallow in that losing atmosphere. What’s not common for all NBA teams is competing for a ship, so if the uncommon thing looks possible then go for it. The common thing will come around, and an extra year or two of being a loser in the lottery would be more bearable if the team takes advantage of the uncommon possibility to go for a ship prior to a prison sentence in the lottery.

It some fans perfers to get rid of Lebron and start over then say it, but pretending the team doesn’t have a chance…if attainable upgrades are made…ain’t fooling anyone but themselves.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:23 pm    Post subject:

THEY WON THE IN-SEASON TOURNAMENT .
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:36 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:

Awleee Ming?!?!? Don’t tell me ya one of those in denial are you? I don’t know if it could have been done but Caruso/Murray/Drummond would = a ship of his year for the old man Bron. It probably would have cost more than most would want to spend tho, Vincent/MaxC/AR/Hayes/JHSfino/1st/Swap/2nd
Denny_Russo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:43 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:

When all is said and done, the IST will be viewed as one of the biggest charades in NBA history. That banner needs to be taken down and trashed.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:16 pm    Post subject:

Denny_Russo wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:

When all is said and done, the IST will be viewed as one of the biggest charades in NBA history. That banner needs to be taken down and trashed.

It’s meaningless, neither to be celebrated nor criticized. It’s just not that important, like an all star skills challenge isn’t even considered after it’s over like it didn’t even happen. So is the IST, too irrelevant for me to even fuse about.
Killer_Z
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:21 pm    Post subject:

Is this one of those therapy threads? If so, get it all out of your system. Whatever helps you feel better.

Reaves, Rui, and 3 FRPs will give us a chance to take one more swing with AD and LBJ. In the interim, enjoy the present, and try not to worry about the future.
KareemRushForThree
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:28 pm    Post subject:

Killer_Z wrote:
Is this one of those therapy threads? If so, get it all out of your system. Whatever helps you feel better.

Reaves, Rui, and 3 FRPs will give us a chance to take one more swing with AD and LBJ. In the interim, enjoy the present, and try not to worry about the future.

Exactly. Hopefully they get Mitchell this summer. If not, I would not lock into Trae Young if LeBron only signs a 1/1. 2025 has a deep free agent class. If Bron signs a 1/1, target a max guy like Kyrie and by then Bron might be willing to take the minimum for a retirement tour / 1 last shot at the title in 25-26.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:20 pm    Post subject:

Maybe we draft bronny and new era starts. However I can’t imagine his dad wants him playing under this microscope. With all due respect to us lakers fans (not player first fan). We aren’t the ideal fan base for players that don’t live up to hype.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:37 pm    Post subject:

I’m pretty high on Maxwell Lewis. So, the future isn’t too bad imo. Hopefully we can draft someone at 55 this season with similar upside.

Itsowheeze
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:01 pm    Post subject:

KareemRushForThree wrote:
Killer_Z wrote:

Exactly. Hopefully they get Mitchell this summer. If not, I would not lock into Trae Young if LeBron only signs a 1/1. 2025 has a deep free agent class. If Bron signs a 1/1, target a max guy like Kyrie and by then Bron might be willing to take the minimum for a retirement tour / 1 last shot at the title in 25-26.
We need size and rebounding. Not more small guards. smh
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:21 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
troy wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
I wouldn’t mind running it back with AD and LeBron, but my head tells me that we are better off changing things up, this was our best chance with this current cast of core players, the Lakers might regret winning that Pelicans game

"Might?"

The Lakers should have 100% tanked to avoid the Nuggets. I don't care what the optics are on that one, reality is reality, and the reality is that the Nuggets have the Lakers's number, front and back. I think I can safely say that being that the Nuggets have beaten the Lakers 10 times in a row.

Lakers are 1-7 against the Kings the past two years, not much better than against the Nuggets.

My hunch is that we would have beaten the Kings, they looked totally lost and uninterested during the Pelicans game, I think Monk and Huerter getting injured ruined there season, I think the luxury of playing the Nuggets in the WCF had we gotten past the OKC Thunder and 1 of either Minnesota or Clippers that would have made it worth it to lose the Pelicans game because having the momentum after winning 2 rounds is much better when you want to dethrone a team

A hunch is a horrible way to blow a playoff appearance
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:20 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
troy wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

"Might?"

A hunch is a horrible way to blow a playoff appearance

You are ignoring some important factors. First, the Kings are not defending world champions. They are not a veteran team full of high value role players. They are youngish team prone to falling to the pressure of the post season, and we haven't had much post season play with this current team. And for what it's worth, we have beaten them, even if it was just that one game. Lastly, the Kings are beatable with the personnel we have. Against Denver, with our current lineup, we simply don't match up well with them, and that includes at the head coaching spot.
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:28 pm    Post subject:

I'm ok with a reboot....Bron still really good, but not reasonable to expect him to carry the load as an A1 superstar even though he deserves A1 star money....AD great 2nd piece, but does not have the consistency to be the primary focus of the team and then we have some nice parts on generally good contracts....I would consider what you might get for AD, sign and trade possibilities for both Dlo and Bron...combined I think all three could bring good draft capital and younger talent. So we should stay competitive like now, even if not championship capable like now, but with a much better overall foundation for building forward to the next dynasty.....
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:33 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:

EXACTLY my point. Lakers are a good team that could beat 28 other teams but they ran into the one team they couldn't beat. Story of the season. They had the chance to "dodge" this damn Denver team. Give me championship 18 and people could call me whatever they want.

Minnesota is gonna take down Denver in the second round and Laker fans are gonna cry. Give me Minnesota over Denver any day.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:40 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:

EXACTLY my point. Lakers are a good team that could beat 28 other teams but they ran into the one team they couldn't beat. Story of the season. They had the chance to "dodge" this damn Denver team. Give me championship 18 and people could call me whatever they want.

Minnesota is gonna take down Denver in the second round and Laker fans are gonna cry. Give me Minnesota over Denver any day.

Karma and the “basketball gods” is jokingly used I know. It could have some validity in subconscious or subliminal activities, but if the Lakers had lost on purpose, the lack of competitive spirit and admittedly fear of “not being good enough” and having cowardly lack of confidence would have prevented the Lakers from benefiting on such a loser’s strategy. Losing on purpose because they’re too scared to face the challenge cannot be thought of to have worked out well.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:44 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
It ended in 2021.

Agree. I'll take a defense that can lock any opponent in the league down when it matters over an aging third superstar with big offensive stats any day. We've had some talent in our scouting department and I don't think they get enough credit for our '20 title. And as stated earlier, that title was no fluke. We were the best team in the league period. Pissed away to make room for Westbrook.

I thought we might have a shot with DLO and Reaves in the mix, but we just don't get it done on defense, no lead is safe, and we're way too shallow beyond our starting squad. Plus, we're devoting a LOT of salary cap to a 40 year old who can't go all out on both ends of the floor for very long anymore, who reverts to ISO late, and who's signature move in ISO is now a 3 point heave.

Nobody knows how long a rebuild will take, it could be 2 years, could be 20, could be the moment ownership invests in a top tier front office, but I'm not holding my breath on that last one. As it stands, Pelinka's surprised me pleasantly on a couple occasions, disappointed me on a few too many.

But here we are. Barring any miracles it is time to turn the page.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:03 pm    Post subject:

Unfortunately I can see Pelinka making the same third star mistake this offseason
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:10 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Unfortunately I can see Pelinka making the same third star mistake this offseason

Unfortunately I agree.

The starters have been incredibly effective in winning games in Feb/Mar/Apr since Rui has been moved there. It has been against tough competition too beating teams that earned top 4 seeds, Bos/NYK/Milx2/Cle/OKC/Min/LAC, as well as other playoff teams Ind/Phil/NOPx3. It doesn’t make sense to drastically change that, just make some needed tweaks. Some changes are necessary for sure since 0-4 against Den during that same successful time period as well as 0-3 against GSW and 0-2 vs Sac.

But I suspect the FO will overhaul the roster with mercenaries like they have been doing and still not compete for a ship.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:52 pm    Post subject:

Blow this team tf up

petergr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:28 pm    Post subject:

It was looong over...one two three Cancun time
Lakersfan1211
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:30 pm    Post subject:

Denver really broke this team...
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:31 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
Blow this team tf up

Yep time to rip off the bandaid and start the rebuild....
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: