NIKOLA JOKIC NUGGETS ARE LIKE THE TIM DUNCAN SPURS
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:25 am    Post subject:

lakeshow03 wrote:
ocho wrote:
As good as Duncan was, I never felt hopeless against him or that he was unsolvable. I would much rather face Duncan than Jokic.

This. Even with arguably the best defender in the NBA, it feels like he is a grown man playing with kids. He can get any shot for himself or others anytime he wants and will just grab the offensive board if they miss

He’s essentially prime Shaq if Shaq was also the best passer in the league. And a 36% shooter from 3. And he never gets hurt. We have no answer for him and neither does anyone else.
Denny_Russo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:08 am    Post subject:

Really hard to compare players from 2 different eras. You have to extrapolate so many little details. For instance, Duncan didn't play in the pace inflation era. Whatever his stats were, you have to add like 10 points, 5 rebounds, 5 assists, 1 block, 1 steal at the minimum to compensate. Simply put, Duncan would be putting up monster stats today. He's also the only PF who wasn't just a MVP candidate for nearly 15 years, but also a DPOY candidate. That's what made him the GOAT PF. You won't find another player who had the same two way impact at his position.

I actually don't think it's close yet... Jokic must win at least 3 rings to be in the conversation, because Duncan was the main driver of 5 rings and possibly 7 if Kobe wasn't in the way. That's probably more of a testament to how good Kobe was, too, because he routinely destroyed top tier, hall of fame competition in his prime. That's pretty much the reason most NBA players had have over Lebron.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:33 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
As good as Duncan was, I never felt hopeless against him or that he was unsolvable. I would much rather face Duncan than Jokic.

We never felt hopeless because we had two dudes in their absolute prime and Phil Jackson. LOL! Those Spurs and Pop would run circles around these current Lakers, and you will feel the same hopelessness. The presence of Shaq, Kobe and Phil presents a psychological challenge as well as physical. They drop their leads on us, not on their accord, we had something to do with that. Imagine Jokic being punished by Shaq all night. What would this do to him? Or, Kobe showing Murray what a bag really looks like? Malone looks down the line and sees he has to outthink Phil Jackson. This is all pressure that the Nuggets know nothing about, and don't experience against these current Lakers.
ducasse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:35 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

You never felt hopeless against Duncan because Lakers had prime Shaq and Kobe. Prime Shaq and Kobe would destroy these Nuggets. If Malone would dare to put Jokic on Shaq in single coverage he would quickly foul him out. Jokic would not be able to bully and back Shaq down into the paint like he does with almost everyone else. Kobe would lock Murray down and Murray would be helpless trying to guard Kobe.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:42 pm    Post subject:

ducasse wrote:
ocho wrote:

You never felt hopeless against Duncan because Lakers had prime Shaq and Kobe. Prime Shaq and Kobe would destroy these Nuggets. If Malone would dare to put Jokic on Shaq in single coverage he would quickly foul him out. Jokic would not be able to bully and back Shaq down into the paint like he does with almost everyone else. Kobe would lock Murray down and Murray would be helpless trying to guard Kobe.

I also didn’t feel that way after Shaq left.
ducasse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:51 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
ducasse wrote:
ocho wrote:

Lakers still had Phil Jackson and prime Kobe after Shaq left. If Lakers had Phil and prime Lebron or prime Kobe right now instead of 39 year old LeBron you wouldn't feel helpless against Jokic. LeBron is the best 39 year old we have ever seen but he can't tilt a series at his age.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:02 pm    Post subject:

ducasse wrote:
ocho wrote:
ducasse wrote:
ocho wrote:

Lakers still had Phil Jackson and prime Kobe after Shaq left. If Lakers had Phil and prime Lebron or prime Kobe right now instead of 39 year old LeBron you wouldn't feel helpless against Jokic. LeBron is the best 39 year old we have ever seen but he can't tilt a series at his age.

Thought we also had a prime All NBA big on our team in addition to LeBron.
strong9
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:18 pm    Post subject:

Let's not be prisoners of the moment please...Denver is okay. They don't beat prime Dubs, Lakers or even the Heatles.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:06 pm    Post subject:

strong9 wrote:
Let's not be prisoners of the moment please...Denver is okay. They don't beat prime Dubs, Lakers or even the Heatles.

It’s not being a prisoner of the moment. In a few days when Jokic wins his 3rd MVP he will accomplish something only 8 other guys in league history have done. He’s only 29.
strong9
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:43 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
strong9 wrote:

It’s not being a prisoner of the moment. In a few days when Jokic wins his 3rd MVP he will accomplish something only 8 other guys in league history have done. He’s only 29.

Can agree Jokic is good but that doesn't make the Nuggets an all time team, yet.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: