Top 5 reasons Hamm should be fired

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samnizam
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:51 am    Post subject: Top 5 reasons Hamm should be fired

What’s your opinion to top 5 reasons hamm should be fired objectively..
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:53 am    Post subject:

LG demands it!

samnizam
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:56 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
LG demands it!

That is a disturbing lol
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:45 am    Post subject:

1. Took way too long settle on the best starters thus likely losing some winnable games. Forgot about last seasons proven lineup.
2. Put Russell, Rui on the bench for a long stretch, gave Reddish big minutes.
3. Late game management was often shoddy, didn't leverage timeouts/reviews when needed, questionable substitutions.
4. Did not develop Max who had demonstrated skills/attributes that the team needed.
5. Kept on playing undersized lineups (that were largely ineffective) despite having bigger options available.
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:36 am    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
1. Took way too long settle on the best starters thus likely losing some winnable games. Forgot about last seasons proven lineup.
2. Put Russell, Rui on the bench for a long stretch, gave Reddish big minutes.
3. Late game management was often shoddy, didn't leverage timeouts/reviews when needed, questionable substitutions.
4. Did not develop Max who had demonstrated skills/attributes that the team needed.
5. Kept on playing undersized lineups (that were largely ineffective) despite having bigger options available.

Speaking of that, after AD was hurt and left the game..didn't he play a lineup without Hayes w/ Jokic still in the game..

And didn't they give up the lead doing that time?

If that is the case, last reason is enough not learning his lesson in a critical game
LakerFan1987
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:41 am    Post subject:

Or he's not that smart
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:43 am    Post subject:

Too many pockets.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:55 am    Post subject:

1. Rob
2. Pelinka
3. Is
4. Our
5. Day1 GM

Psshh. Ham can only play the bucks that are in the stable. When those dudes jump out to leads, while playing good defense, but can’t keep that effort stable as the game progresses, you think that’s all coaching adjustment, or maybe getting gassed the f out has some part in it.

This roster never had it and you had Bron/AD playing above & beyond just yo make it competitive.

Why didn’t Mike Malone make adjustments game to game do that Denver didn’t have to continually play from behind in the 2nd half?

Malone had guys he could go to, while Ham did not. We already had deficiencies in the starting lineup, but even heading to the bench you had guys that had players where they have shown not to be the most durable and then you get to 2nd year players and rookies like MaxC/L & JHS. What were you expecting coach to really do with that.

I’m hardly a Ham apologist, but the narrative that this was solely a coaching problem and not a roster pRoblem as well is 🧢

Check the first half stats in Drtg primarily as well as Ortg/PACE, etc…

https://www.nba.com/stats/teams/advanced?GameSegment=First%20Half&Period=0&SeasonType=Playoffs&dir=A&sort=DEF_RATING

Compare it to the 2nd half…
https://www.nba.com/stats/teams/advanced?GameSegment=Second%20Half&Period=0&SeasonType=Playoffs&dir=A&sort=DEF_RATING

Our defensive effort faded as the game progressed and as a result, Denver took over. Imho this had more to do with not having the horsepower & gassing out players than it had to do with coaching adjustments.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:55 am    Post subject:

The team quit on him.
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:37 pm    Post subject:

yeesh
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:41 pm    Post subject:

he's pure arrogance is beyond me. who or what gives him such confidence? maybe he knew all along Jeannie will be too cheap to file him mid-contract and hire a new head coach.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:45 pm    Post subject:

Ham has a lot of potential as a Coach. The problem is he's too set in his ways currently to evolve. He plays favorites over what is the best option to go with, and he will stick with things that don't work for too long before he changes them.

He's one of the better early in their career coaches, but he's not the guy for this kind of team.

If he was able to humble himself, take more accountability and be willing to upgrade his staff with people that can compensate for his weaknesses and was willing to listen to them he'd have something. But I don't think he's there yet.
JamezAmp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:45 pm    Post subject:

"Took way too long settle on the best starters thus likely losing some winnable games. Forgot about last seasons proven lineup."

I'm tired of him using the reg season as an experiment. It was clear after Vanderbilt was out long term who the starting 5 should be, but for some reason Ham couldn't see it. It was odd and stupid.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:48 pm    Post subject:

Too many problematic lineups and rotations. 3 guard lineup experiments never seemed to pan out, but he'd go to them regularly. How do you experiment so much with starting lineups in midseason?

Poor timeout management. Not using timeouts to stop runs is bad. Ending games with timeouts when you could have a) stopped runs and/or b) organize the offense and/or c) rest your aging superstars, is pretty egregious.

Not calling obvious challenges because you're waiting for some other play that might somehow be bigger later is a gamble that very rarely ever paid off.

Very slow to make adjustments in game, or even game to game, we got beat by the same teams (kings, nuggets) while executing the same strategies on offense and defense that weren't working previously.

He's an all timer when it comes to making excuses and having a general lack of humility. No no its not a lack of preparation, in fact we are the most prepared! Chastising laker fans for being concerned with losing games in the regular season.

Those are just the five I think he really drops the ball on
youcantguardme
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:57 pm    Post subject:

Darvin's Score

Eye Test: F
Game Management: F
Xs and Os: F
Post game comments: C-
buduan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 11:54 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
1. Rob
2. Pelinka
3. Is
4. Our
5. Day1 GM

Psshh. Ham can only play the bucks that are in the stable. When those dudes jump out to leads, while playing good defense, but can’t keep that effort stable as the game progresses, you think that’s all coaching adjustment, or maybe getting gassed the f out has some part in it.

This roster never had it and you had Bron/AD playing above & beyond just yo make it competitive.

Why didn’t Mike Malone make adjustments game to game do that Denver didn’t have to continually play from behind in the 2nd half?

Malone had guys he could go to, while Ham did not. We already had deficiencies in the starting lineup, but even heading to the bench you had guys that had players where they have shown not to be the most durable and then you get to 2nd year players and rookies like MaxC/L & JHS. What were you expecting coach to really do with that.

I’m hardly a Ham apologist, but the narrative that this was solely a coaching problem and not a roster pRoblem as well is 🧢

https://www.nba.com/stats/teams/advanced?GameSegment=First%20Half&Period=0&SeasonType=Playoffs&dir=A&sort=DEF_RATING

https://www.nba.com/stats/teams/advanced?GameSegment=Second%20Half&Period=0&SeasonType=Playoffs&dir=A&sort=DEF_RATING

Our defensive effort faded as the game progressed and as a result, Denver took over. Imho this had more to do with not having the horsepower & gassing out players than it had to do with coaching adjustments.

Spot on dude. Pelinka needs to go, and has needed to go for some time. What made this dude think the Lakers could compete with Denver with a finesse PF playing Jokic I'll never understand. Any big body out there would have helped. And matched up Davis with Gordon. You know? The guy who killed us on the boards?
LakersPimp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 12:06 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
1. Rob
2. Pelinka
3. Is
4. Our
5. Day1 GM

Our defensive effort definitely faded every 2nd half....But our offense faded as well! We would stop running the successful plays we ran in the 1st half. WHY???? Why wouldnt we play Max...especially over Gabe who we never really saw during the regular season. Max DESERVED to play! If the coaching exhausted our best options...i would 100 agree with you. But because he made questionable choices...that lead us to a 1st round loss...plus the experimentation all season...yes he deserved to go!
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 12:42 pm    Post subject:

^IMHO he didn’t deserve to get hired in the first place by a potential contender (or a franchise masquerading around as if they really wanted to be one)…so no sweat off my back in firing the guy. But why we back to being coachless again? Seems like the pRoblem lies with those that have been backing these decisions. That’s been my i$$ue with this group from the jump and now we’re back to Lue, who had they paid from the jump…

As for MaxC, I got high hopes for dude as a 3&D player…but we talking about the defending champs here. I doubt a sophomore player would have really unlocked the series for us. Coach may have cost us an even more competitive series, but in all honesty, dude didn’t have much to exhaust, since his options were limited. Thinking MaxC, Vando and Wood were the supposed X-factors we were missing reeks of the similar notion that the return of Ariza that one season would have corrected all our blemishes. Coaching was definitely an issue, but like the reason dude was here in the first place, it has more to do with those that hired him and constructed this roster. I believe that had more to do with our key players exhaustion more than anything else.

Had our FO exhausted their best options to round out our roster around Bron from the jump (expensive as it may be), maybe his Laker tenure is more celebrated than just pouring out a bit of bubbly for his 1 ring here? This FO keeps trying to cut the margins tho & in doing so, they tax our key players to the point of exhaustion. See: MaxC’s 2yr deal leading to a RFA bid this summer…letting Schro/AC walk for nothing….potentially letting DLo walk for nothing after they negotiated the NTC out his deal…dumping salary for cap space only to give that green to another player after a kawhiet pursuit…etc, etc. This FO has just been so gawd awful and to think, now we want to once again overcorrect in pursuing Lue, as we tried to do in bringing Howard, Schro & TBryant back.

I guess that strategy is better than making the same mistake over & over over again tho: TBryant, AC, THT, Reaves, MaxC all given 2yr rookie min deals when other resources were at our disposal to offer longer contracts…this of course ended up bringing their RFA status a year earlier than need be. As a result some got overpaid, while others were given the ax cause of the tax. Thank goodness the CBA corrected this with the Second Round Exemption aka the Pelinka rule.
quartzcharm
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 12:33 am    Post subject:

1. All the players hated him.
2. He lacked the ability to make in game adjustments.
3. His lineup choices were awful.
4. Bald head.
5. Ham is disgusting. It just is not a good tasting food.
JosephFerano
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 1:11 am    Post subject:

I was on the fence during the regular season, but the performance during the playoffs is what convinced me, since some of the reasons were already stated, I'll add some new ones;

1.) Lebron slowing the possessions and playing hero ball
2.) Role players freelancing and playing outside their scope, taking terrible shots
3.) Really stupid turnovers
4.) Piss poor transition defense
5.) Piss poor defensive rebounding

I believed this was just the players, but the more I think about it, I think it's a lack of proper preparation. Too much is made about the in-game stuff, like timeouts and substitutions. While those certainly are important, like a conductor of an orchestra, it's way more about the preparation that goes on during practice than mistake-free coaching during a game.

What I saw was a team that wasn't prepared. I saw a team that lacked intensity boxing out and sprinting back during transition. I saw a team that didn't value possessions and jacked up shots early in the shot clock or threw the ball away carelessly.

While ultimately it's on the team for doing those things, I question how intense the practices were, how much Darvin held players accountable. I fully believe the Nuggets didn't beat us; we lost this series. Every game was winnable for us, but just sloppy, uninspired play did us in.

In contrast, to further back my point up, I remember Igoudala on the JJ podcast talking about how the reason the Heat overperform in the playoffs is because they maintain that intensity throughout the regular season by making practices intensely competitive, so a playoff game is just like any other practice. That's the sort of intensity the coaching staff has to bring to the organization.
JosephFerano
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 5:04 am    Post subject:

I'll add another one

6.) Inability to make effective post entries when being fronted.

I noticed throughout the season how ineffective the Lakers were at feeding the post. They would either not throw the ball or throw it away all too often. They also weren't able to space themselves correctly to get the right angles to beat the seal. I kept asking myself "Man, don't they practice this?". It was quite embarrassing how weak they were in this regard and I fully blame this on coaching.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: