The Da Vinci Code
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: The Da Vinci Code

Jus finished reading the book, i know, i know, i waited awhile, but i loved it, great book i thought. Anyone seen the movie yet and what are your thoughts on it.
mbloves L.A.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject:

If you liked Da Vinci Code, you'll like Angels ad Demons by the same author, I think that one was more exciting.
prisma8slg
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject:

mbloves L.A. wrote:
If you liked Da Vinci Code, you'll like Angels ad Demons by the same author, I think that one was more exciting.
that one was good. his other books *sucked*

"I've seen it all. Sasha dunked on somebody," Kobe Bryant said. "I'm ready to retire now."
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 10:40 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, definitely read Angels and Demons. Decent read. I saw the Da Vinci Code movie last night. I think it might have been better had you not read the book. You should have waited and saw that first. I think that makes a difference sometimes. I know most people who had read the book The Firm before seeing the movie thought the book was better...and people who saw the movie, then read the book thought the movie was better. Wonder if that will be true with the Da Vinci Code.

Silas was a great character in the film. They definitely brought him to life better than the book. Hanks did a good job. Good casting on Sophie, too.
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Yeah, definitely read Angels and Demons. Decent read. I saw the Da Vinci Code movie last night. I think it might have been better had you not read the book. You should have waited and saw that first. I think that makes a difference sometimes. I know most people who had read the book The Firm before seeing the movie thought the book was better...and people who saw the movie, then read the book thought the movie was better. Wonder if that will be true with the Da Vinci Code.

Silas was a great character in the film. They definitely brought him to life better than the book. Hanks did a good job. Good casting on Sophie, too.

Silias's character in the book was interesting as well, ive had this picture of a huge white albino monk in my head . I want too see how they made him look in the movie, will be very interesting.
- Sean -
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 12:39 am    Post subject:

I saw the movie a few days ago...read the book a year and a half back...the movie was better than I thought it would be.

I generally enjoy books better than their film versions....even when the film is very well made i.e. The Godather....and that was the case w/ this as well....but that didn't keep me from liking the movie.

The critics panned it for the most part(it did get 2 thumbs up however)...so, I was wondering what could've been done to make it that bad...anyway, I walked out of there thinking it was relatively entertaining...better than some of the reviews would have indicated.

I agree that Bettany and Tautou were well cast. I've enjoyed a lot of the latters work in some of her French films. In fact, Reno, McKellen, and Molina were good choices too.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 12:55 am    Post subject:

It would've been better if I watched the film first before reading the book. I didn't like the way how easy Landon and Sophie were able to decode the codes and solve the misteries...the book was way better are showing how complex the puzzles were...

The film wasn't able to show the stories behind the characters, which sort of alienated the audience from them. The movie focused on the murder of Jack Sauniere, but failed to introduce the people involved/dragged in it in the first place. That was pretty disappointing. Also, the film was not able to clearly show what drove Silas and Aringarosa to do what they were doing..

Overall, the movie was not bad...I like X3 way way way better.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
showtime3232
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject:

Digital Fortress is a great read by Dan Brown as well, I couldn't put it down.
LakersGirl4Life
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 9:36 am    Post subject:

I also liked Deception Point by him as well. I just got Digital Fortress, but haven't read it yet.

I really liked the movie. I read the book a long time ago, but thought that the movie was well done. And in my head I had pictured a man similiar looking to Hanks, so I thought it was a good casting.
Booby
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject:

I tried reading the Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons but I couldnt do it, it is just poorly written IMO and I wasn't in the mood for a trashy dime novel at the time, which was my impression at least stylisticly.

I saw the movie a few days ago and it didn't suck. I was entertained.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject:

that movie sucked.
msb212
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject:

da ocho wrote:
that movie sucked.

co-sign
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject:

sean2023 wrote:

The critics panned it for the most part(it did get 2 thumbs up however)...so, I was wondering what could've been done to make it that bad...anyway, I walked out of there thinking it was relatively entertaining...better than some of the reviews would have indicated.

I agree that Bettany and Tautou were well cast. I've enjoyed a lot of the latters work in some of her French films. In fact, Reno, McKellen, and Molina were good choices too.

It rambled on a bit during the middle of the film. That's kind of the part I was wondering whether if you hadn't read the book, if it would have been more interesting...but so many people have read it, you probably have to take that into consideration.
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject:

Read and enjoyed the book, am planning to see the movie next week.
I usually don't have high expectations with films based on books. Most book-based films are just less riveting than the books, e.g. all Tom Clancy and Grisham books. The LOTR trilogy was less than faithfull to the books, but were entertaining.
imo the best book-based film or series was Band of Brothers, but they had like 10 episodes to really follow the book.
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject:

The Da Vinci code sux cuz the whole thing is a theory and the author says it like its the truth, plus, its a full copy of "Holy Blood, Holy Grail" written more than 20 years ago.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject:

AirKobe8 wrote:
The Da Vinci code sux cuz the whole thing is a theory and the author says it like its the truth, plus, its a full copy of "Holy Blood, Holy Grail" written more than 20 years ago.

It is listed under Fiction, isn't it?
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
AirKobe8 wrote:

It is listed under Fiction, isn't it?

Yes, but the author doesnt treat it like fiction.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject:

Does Michael Crichton or Tom Clancy?
- Sean -
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
sean2023 wrote:

It rambled on a bit during the middle of the film. That's kind of the part I was wondering whether if you hadn't read the book, if it would have been more interesting...but so many people have read it, you probably have to take that into consideration.

That's true...and so were some of the earlier comments about the lack of character development....they wouldn't stick out as much for those that hadn't read the book.

I suppose another reason I found aspects of this that I enjoyed, is that it reminds me of certain places I like.....Musée du Louvre....how dramatic a place Paris can be at night....the quiet of Rosslyn Chapel...the river at the bottom of the glen outside of it...late night walking on Edinburghs Royal Mile.....seeing them analyze The Last Supper...I think of the neighborhood surrounding Santa Maria delle Grazie...how Milano has the best gelato in the world...things like that....that honestly have nothing to do w/ the film.

I even think of how I didn't want to give into the hype regarding this book....but relented...because I needed something to read...consequently buying the book in Roma Termini...and finishing it in a park in Vienna w/ a view of the Riesenrad Giant Ferris Wheel...

...Round up some likable actors....add in some imagery I have a positive association with....and I'll probably be liable to find some enjoyment in it.
LakersSpirit
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 10:39 pm    Post subject:

I've seen several documentaries, on t.v., that give alot of good background information, that you might not get anywhere else...

There is alot of interesting historical background. I would research all information, before coming to any conclusions... :roll:

I think we all go through a period[with some people, it lasts a lifetime], where we want to question everything around us... We want to search for truth, whatever that is... Notice, how we come close to violating the proscription against religious, or political discussions??...

We also like to find escape, into the esoteric... I was once addicted to reading a series of books, by someone claiming to be an incarnation, of a Tibetan Monk... The guy sounded plausible, then, once you got hooked, he went off, into "la la land"... It was so enjoyable, and took me away from harsh reality, that I just kept on reading... There was some good information, and some real fairy tale stuff, but it fulfilled its function...
turbulent
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject:

Dont read or watch the movie if your easily offended. Dont look for the truth in a freakin movie. Watch it from an artistic point of view..if you can. The story provokes thought..and that IS a good thing. Dont read to search for the "A-ha" evidence, but simply to indulge yourself in a good mind game.
smokestack
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject:

didn't read the book. but i read the recent new yorker article about the book. in all honesty though, my friend read me an excerpt and dan brown's writing style did not appeal to me.

i watched the movie recently with said friend. i thought it was entertaining, although way too long at a 2.5 hours!

watch the movie. if only to understand what the hell vh1 is talking about when you tune into "best of the millenium", or "i love the 00s" ten years from now.
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject:

mbloves L.A. wrote:

Jus picked up angels and demons today, cant wait too get started on reading it.
showtime3232
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject:

The movie was very good in my opinion, 4/5 stars. The moment I stopped trying to remember what was happening in the book, and just allowed myself to enjoy the action on screen was when it really picked up. Before that, it was just going through the motinos for me.

Tom Hanks and Audrey Tautou were wonderful, far far better than what I expected.
msb212
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject:

the acting was wooden, the dialogue was laughable.

C'mon people, you can't really think they did a good job!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: