LAKERS -at- SUNS - 4/22 - Thoughts and :-(( ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:15 am    Post subject:

KingKobe20Dub wrote:
Destroying them the whole game until Barbosa and his fourth quarter heroics.
Seriously it bugs the hect out of me evertime he kills knowing that we selected Brian Cook instead of Barbosa.
We need to cool him off by iritating him with Kobe bullying him on defense and offense. Every single time we play good against the Suns Leandro trys to will them back. Normally does. I am pretty sure it is safe to say that if we was to chill Barbosa out we still got a good shot at taking this punks out from Arizona. We ned to steal this next game so we could go back home with some type of edge or else it won't be

I could not agree more. Mitch, after wiffing big time with K-Rush, then selects a PF who can only jump 2 inches off the floor and hangs out at the 3 point line when we could have had Barbosa! And this is not hindsight, plenty of LG draftnicks wanted him back then because of his speed and ability to play D. His jumper has always looked strange, that is likely we we passed on him.

postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject:

PopcornMachine wrote:

GameFlow BoxScore

Hard to figure a 4th quarter shooting just 4-21, and Kobe just 1-10.

I was fortunate enough not to see it.

Did the Suns do something different defensively, or did the Lakers just go stone cold?

like some have said, kobe was tired. thats all that was. there was no need for kobe to shoot any of those shots. We did what we always do. we did what the clippers did vs the suns last year. Went away from the bread and butter.

Post up=Bread and Butter vs the suns.

Jumpshots= Your death vs the suns

its that simple Pcorn. Until we do nothing else but play inside out. we are destined to have these kind of quarters. Sure LO can't make Ft's right now because of the shoulder. kwame is a bad Ft shooter, So what. the more fouls, the less defense the other team can play on kobe. Go to luke in the post the guy wasn't missing really. and he was getting better and better at it with each touch. I use to have this issue with phil not using Rick fox in the post much. its like because thats not how we want to run the offense, we wont do it. even when there's an obvious advantage. every man on our team can post someone up. we have that ability. ABUSE IT. No excuses. never stop going down low. if kwame blows a layup let me get luke and LO in there to battle for a tip, tip rebound. but never stop going in there. if they want to zone kobe out of the paint. fine. deal with luke on some small guy turning and tapping.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
KingKobe20Dub wrote:
Destroying them the whole game until Barbosa and his fourth quarter heroics.
Seriously it bugs the hect out of me evertime he kills knowing that we selected Brian Cook instead of Barbosa.
We need to cool him off by iritating him with Kobe bullying him on defense and offense. Every single time we play good against the Suns Leandro trys to will them back. Normally does. I am pretty sure it is safe to say that if we was to chill Barbosa out we still got a good shot at taking this punks out from Arizona. We ned to steal this next game so we could go back home with some type of edge or else it won't be

I could not agree more. Mitch, after wiffing big time with K-Rush, then selects a PF who can only jump 2 inches off the floor and hangs out at the 3 point line when we could have had Barbosa! And this is not hindsight, plenty of LG draftnicks wanted him back then because of his speed and ability to play D. His jumper has always looked strange, that is likely we we passed on him.

barbosa + triangle= a wild out of control player that we would be hating right now. barbosa only works in a uptempo run and gun offense. where guys will either set him a high screen or get out of his way and watch him go bline to the rack. we run the triangle. barbosa would not work. so mitch drafted for triangle players. cook = robert horry. that was the purpose of that pick. and quiet as kept if we used cook as such. he would be robert horry. he can actually shoot the 3 better. now Rob could play better de. but so what, rob used to play the best PF's in the business and get abused nightly.
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the write up DB.

Pending how well Farmar plays during this series, how much of a premium will it be to go after a marked improvement at PG this Summer? I thought he played well. "Rookie treament" aside, he is a keeper in my book. Thoughts?
karlmalonefan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject:

cr8zy0 wrote:
what it comes down to is kobe needs to pass the ball more. yes in the first half he was great. but he absolutely never realizes when he is cold and what makes it worse is HE NEVER REALIZES WHEN OTHERS ARE HOT. odom was having his way in the post. my god just post him up a few times. stop hogging the ball. oh is farmar under the basket wide open, o well ill shoot a fadeaway over 2 people. that mind set does not help us. he has to make teams pay for doubling him.

i would post up odom every single possession. the same way the nets posted up kidd against tj ford if anyone watched that game. odom makes better decisions than kobe. when they doulbe him he will pass it. and kobe will then be facing less double teams. if he plays off the ball more it would help us out a lot. luke needs to post up barbosa every time he is gaurded by him. kobe has to recognize what is going on on the floor. he can't continue to make bad decisions. yes it is nice when he starts making 4 straight 3's. but we don't need that. if you're hot then okay. but when you miss 3 straight shots. don't come back down the floor and launch up another bad shot.
Great post.
karlmalonefan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject:

Mation wrote:
Thanks DB,

Lamar sounds vengeful for the next game:

Quote:
He took an elbow from Steve Nash while chasing a rebound and went to the bench for treatment on a two-inch laceration over his left eyebrow. He needed five stitches after the game.

"One of those guys got me pretty good," Odom said, smiling. "I'm looking forward to the next game and getting somebody back."
Now that he's said that publicly, he can't do it. If he follows through, he'll get suspended and we'll get blown out by 30 points on our own court. Book it.
TLT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject:

Texas_Pete wrote:

Pending how well Farmar plays during this series, how much of a premium will it be to go after a marked improvement at PG this Summer? I thought he played well. "Rookie treament" aside, he is a keeper in my book. Thoughts?

Farmar will be OK. But I think it is absolutely critical to get a good-great point guard in the off season. Kidd at almost any cost. Think of him getting the ball to Kobe and Bynum at the perfect spots. Plus he averages over 9 rebounds. That's like having another Lamar rebounding. OK, lets hear it. Points guards, triangle don't mix, blah, blah
coop-a-loop
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject:

I was kind of annoyed with Kobe's decision making yesterday. It was a winnable game and there were obvious mismatches in Odom vs. Marion in the post and Walton vs. Barbosa that Kobe seemed to ignore in crunch time. And seeing kobe jack up a shot on two defenders with Farmar wide open had me shaking my head.

The last time I was annoyed with Kobe in a playoff game was in our series against the PIstons in the 2004 NBA Finals; with Kobe jacking fadeawayes over the long arms of Teyshaun Prince. His poor decision making and shot selection in the fourth reminded me of his poor play in that NBA Finals.

Kobe will bounce back. After watching the game tape, I am sure Kobe will recognize that he will have to play off the low post play of Walton and Odom. He should also make an effort to attack the rim rather then settle for jumpers. If he tries to do it all on his own and take jumpers, the Suns will take that. Everytime I see Kobe rise up for a fadeaway, Raja Bell looks content.

Yup. Walton will have to post up Barbosa. That makes him play defense and prevents him from running up court for a transition basket.

This series in winnable folks. I think we can take game 2 with Kobe bouncing back from a bad game.
LALAKE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject:

coop-a-loop wrote:
I was kind of annoyed with Kobe's decision making yesterday. It was a winnable game and there were obvious mismatches in Odom vs. Marion in the post and Walton vs. Barbosa that Kobe seemed to ignore in crunch time. And seeing kobe jack up a shot on two defenders with Farmar wide open had me shaking my head.

The last time I was annoyed with Kobe in a playoff game was in our series against the PIstons in the 2004 NBA Finals; with Kobe jacking fadeawayes over the long arms of Teyshaun Prince. His poor decision making and shot selection in the fourth reminded me of his poor play in that NBA Finals.

Kobe will bounce back. After watching the game tape, I am sure Kobe will recognize that he will have to play off the low post play of Walton and Odom. He should also make an effort to attack the rim rather then settle for jumpers. If he tries to do it all on his own and take jumpers, the Suns will take that. Everytime I see Kobe rise up for a fadeaway, Raja Bell looks content.

Yup. Walton will have to post up Barbosa. That makes him play defense and prevents him from running up court for a transition basket.

This series in winnable folks. I think we can take game 2 with Kobe bouncing back from a bad game.

You mean bad 4th quarter....Where would we be with his 15-33 and 39 points? Also, the rest of the team went 3-11 in the 4th.........
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject:

The TEAM doesn't play team ball. They ALL play Kobe Ball and are more than fine with it. Nobody was calling for the ball, cutting or moving off-the-ball. They didn't come back from injuries and play aggressively and it forced Phil to tell Kobe to carry the offense. And it never changed.

This is our team of passive players. They can TRY and act like they play a team game for 3 qtrs, but when the 4th Qtr came yesterday, they all stopped trying to exploit their mismatches and began watching Kobe and hoping he'd save them.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:
The TEAM doesn't play team ball. They ALL play Kobe Ball and are more than fine with it. Nobody was calling for the ball, cutting or moving off-the-ball. They didn't come back from injuries and play aggressively and it forced Phil to tell Kobe to carry the offense. And it never changed.

This is our team of passive players. They can TRY and act like they play a team game for 3 qtrs, but when the 4th Qtr came yesterday, they all stopped trying to exploit their mismatches and began watching Kobe and hoping he'd save them.

false, false, and false. players were open. kobe didn't want to hit them. jordan farmar has no problem directing players on offense and telling them where to go. i saw him direct kwame, and even kobe in game 1. but kobe can't do this? he can't make plays for his team? you know that's not true. you just want to blame lamar.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:

false, false, and false. players were open. kobe didn't want to hit them. jordan farmar has no problem directing players on offense and telling them where to go. i saw him direct kwame, and even kobe in game 1. but kobe can't do this? he can't make plays for his team? you know that's not true. you just want to blame lamar.

Not blaming Lamar. I'm blaming them all, Kobe included. The team stopped running Triangle and started standing around long BEFORE Kobe went Vortex. It started sometime in the 3rd Qtr when Farmar and Luke force fed the ball into Kobe at the high post, and everyone stood around. He missed 3-4 straight shots, then they went back to the Triangle.

The problem in the 4th was that guys like Kwame were afraid to touch the ball in fear of turning it over, so he'd immediately kick it back out to Kobe, despite being at point blank range.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:

barbosa + triangle= a wild out of control player that we would be hating right now. barbosa only works in a uptempo run and gun offense. where guys will either set him a high screen or get out of his way and watch him go bline to the rack. we run the triangle. barbosa would not work.

I disagree about Barbosa not being a Tri fit. He'd do well. His attack game in transition would still be intact because that has nothing to do with the Tri. We'd get a lot more easy scores on the break. When we are in the half court, his speed off the pinch posts, his three range, ability to catch and shoot on the perimeter, speed cutting from the weakside or backdoor (like he burned us in the last game)...all of that plays to his strengths. He'd be a great fit, IMO. Defensively, Phil would use him as a big 1 along side Kobe. But this is neither here nor there.

I do agree with your take above about us not going to the bread and butter. Our Hoop IQ can be ridiculous at times when it comes to bleeding teams with the pressure is on.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject:

Texas_Pete wrote:

I think it's got to be a premium. I like Farmar...before the season I said he'd be starting for us this next season if the guard situation was the same. Looks like that's what happened with a couple games left this season. But still, he's young. He's going to have consistency issues and a learning curve. We need some vet leadership, a floor general to take the load off Kobe and to make sure we play the right way...and bleed teams with purpose and intent. We also need D at the 1. That's got to be a premium. Farmar can get there, in fact I think there's a good chance his game is going to really break out next year, kind of like he did at UCLA after a year, but we can't rely on him...yet.
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:19 am    Post subject:

I thought it was Lamar's and Luke's job to take the load of Kobe in terms of ballhandling.
karlmalonefan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:
ocho wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:

Not blaming Lamar. I'm blaming them all, Kobe included. The team stopped running Triangle and started standing around long BEFORE Kobe went Vortex. It started sometime in the 3rd Qtr when Farmar and Luke force fed the ball into Kobe at the high post, and everyone stood around. He missed 3-4 straight shots, then they went back to the Triangle.

The problem in the 4th was that guys like Kwame were afraid to touch the ball in fear of turning it over, so he'd immediately kick it back out to Kobe, despite being at point blank range.
Dude, the only time they ran the triangle was when Kobe was on the bench.
karlmalonefan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject:

AllorNothing wrote:
I thought it was Lamar's and Luke's job to take the load of Kobe in terms of ballhandling.
When he takes it out of their hands in the back court and dribbles it up and dribbles it for 15 seconds then jacks up the shot without ever passing it, or when he runs right to the three point line and jacks up a three pointer with 20 seconds left on the shot clock, what are they supposed to do? Even when they do bring the ball up, he calls for the ball, they pass it to him, and he keeps the ball til he shoots it. The ball stops moving when it's in Kobe's hands 90% of the time.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: