LAKERS -at- SPURS- 11/13 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
All_Star_Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
I don't understand the notion of our perimeter defenders being drawn in off of covering their perimeter matchups (open at the 3 point line or midrange) when being drawn in does nothing to help the penetration being that they still aren't close enough to do anything but create a useless shadow. How does having two guys being drawn in outside the lane help interior D? Basically all they are doing is playing token defense since being pulled in all the way from the perimeter simply puts them in no man's land and in a space that has no bearing on what actually goes on in lane, yet does have the negative effect of leaving shooters open.

We have good enough defenders, especially down low, to leave these guys in one on one coverage. I can understand the need for Oberto or Elson's defenders to help out, but why in god's name leave ginobli, Parker, Bowen, or Finley open for shots they are known for hitting. Say we play Duncan one on one, do you really think Duncan goes off for 25+ on Bynum, Mihm, and Kwame with them using their collective 18 fouls? Or say we leave Parker and don't help, let him go for 25+? If we let Kobe shut down Ginobli or Finley (whoever is on the court), which he is fully capable of doing, and allow Duncan/Parker to combine for 50 points, do we really think the rest of the Spurs are capable of beating our other defenders to score 30-40 points needed to beat us? I don't think so personally.

Also, the TOs just have to stop. There is no reason for a guy like Ronny to get 6 TOs. Most of these TOs are not coming off of risky passes, but rather ordinary passes that are coming from bad post entries or mindless, impatient transition passes. The Lakers simply aren't working and being patient with their passes. That pass from Ronny into the back of Fisher's heel was the best example of this. We really need to cut our TOs down to under 15 a game.

The good news though is that we have limited the amount of 3s we have taken (our 3 point shooting also needs to improve though), which is good, and we have consistently outrebounded the teams we have faced. If the Lakers simply figure out a way to play good interior D while not leaving every Tom, Dick, and Harry shooter wide open (which is completely possible, teams like the Spurs do it, it's called picking and choose your spots) while limiting our TOs... there is no reason to believe we aren't fully capable of beating any team in the league.

The season is early yet and with good health on this team granting this team their first chance in a while to grow together, I full expect Phil to make the adjustments and allow this team to become a better unit as the season continues.

Seriously. Why use help defenders when the help defenders were not helping at all (except for Kobe, but that usually wasn't on guard penetration). If a guard drives in, DO NOT HELP. If Tony Parker is going to score in the lane, he will score. The help defender was useless. Make sure Tony (or Manu) does not kick it out for an open 3.

ARRRGHHH!
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject:

Alpha wrote:
thanks for the recap DB... sounds like a painful game to watch (with sporadic great highlights)... sad to think they were this sluggish on the front end of a back to back... let's pray for the best in Houston tonight.

btw, I agree with lakersanity about the D sagging away from the perimeter... just makes no sense! heck, with people like Peja and the 3 happy spurs out there, how can you leave them open??!? consistently for that matter?!

Sluggish mentally, not physically. I thought they gave a solid effort, just not an "intelligent effort". Which ties into the unnecessary doubles and stuff on D.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject:

LakerSince72 wrote:
LakerSince72 wrote:
DB, I remember some time back a link posted in LG for a site that gives the plus/minus for players, a line graph of the game flow and more really interesting stats, charts etc. Do you know of that site, link, post? I'd really like to find that site again. Thanks dude! You Rock!!!

Nevermind, I found it!!!

http://popcornmachine.net/GameFlows.html

That's it. I'll see if I can tie them into the report. I keep forgetting to do that.
KOBE 2.0
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:
No, that's the essence of a young team.

Soft and young oh.. and dumb.
The Private
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject:

Anybody doing a game thread for the Rockets?
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject:

Another Subject From Last Year That is Starting To Reoccurr:

Is LO a "true leader" for the Lakers? That means LEADING the Lakers in play and spirit with the entire team - Kobe included?

It appears that the other problems could easily/easier be handled (i.e. perimeter defense, scoring, etc.) if LO is actually doing something tangible and positive while being aggressive. People can "handle" losing if the Lakers are utilizing their maximum effort
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: