LAKERS -at- SPURS- 11/13 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigE32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:23 am    Post subject:

Thanks, DB. We need to take care of the ball. 15 turnovers at the half on the road against an excellent team isn't the recipe for a win. We need to value our possessions.
prisma8slg
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:35 am    Post subject:

thanks DB
Hawkins
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:01 am    Post subject:

The game was kind of an enigma, Bruce Bowen outscores Kobe, Kobe out D's Bowen with 9 rebounds, 2 steals and 3 blocked shots, I can't remember Tim Duncan having that low of production in years, LA's bench outscores SA's, the Spurs shot .933 FT% and the box scores with the exception of the 2nd quarter shows a competitive game.

Turnovers were the key. The hole was too deep, too early to dig out of plain and simple. Had they not occurred this game would have been entirely different and the Phil criticism after the game reflects frustration and hate that is totally manic. You beat down a Suns team to a pulp just a week ago and the doom and gloom is strange considering it's only the second week of the season. Why the glass is always half empty in Laker land of late seems a self fulfilling prophecy.
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:16 am    Post subject:

8750 wrote:
thanks, DB
same old story... a team that plays well when everything goes in the right direction, and that plays poorly when something begins going wrong... that's the essence of a soft team...

No, that's the essence of a young team.
maddprophet
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject:

the inability of our team to get bynum the ball in the post in bothersome, as well as lo.

farmar needs to play more minutes against parker, and he's capable of doing the same exact things to the spurs that parker did to us. and farmar can throw it down unlike parker. i really believe farmar will continue to grow and become a player much like parker, but with better range and athletecism to finish with authority in the lane. he was the bright spot last night.

and i'd rather have sasha active over mo right now. maybe it's his back or whatever, but he's giving us nada. sasha will always give you effort, and he's clearly improved all aspects of his game from previous years. he should get those minutes right now.

i know it's early in the year, but it seems evident to me, that both farmar and bynums minutes must go up as the year goes on. they give us our best opportunity to win games imo.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject:

maybe you are right, laker jam... but let me talk about softness and youth...
every time i hear or read someone talking about youth, i always remember a wise man who said "youth means that you have more time to make damages"... i deeply appreciate young talented players with great upside, but i saw too many young talented players with great upside never developing their potential... i don't know if character is something that you can learn... you see kobe at 17 or mj at nc, and soft is the last word that leaps in your mind... i saw bill laimbeer when after the college he came here in italy for a year and you didn't have any doubt about softness... the only player that i remember as soft and then became a great warrior was scottie pippen... in this team, turiaf is young and surely not soft... other players always seem to me very gifted technically or physically, but not mentally...
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:47 am    Post subject:

I didn't think the Lakers played that bad.

I thought their energy was superb on defense, in the 1st half that is. It was close despite the horrendous TO's in the 1st half until the very end of it .. Spurs went on a run closing the half.

Really, I just thought the execution wasn't there but the things they were trying to do were exactly what we need to work on.

1- Team ball in a loss. HUGE aspect that is being ignored. This will help us in the longrun, and maybe as soon as tonight if the team is not wearing the strong effects of their first B2B. Ussually when this team drops down 10 points, it's Kobe time. I thought the Lakers and Kobe tried not to go there and when their offense improved in the 2nd half, unfortunately the defense slipped.

2- Quick Tempo. Remember last year, the first time the Warriors came to town with Nellie? Recall how bad they looked, post-trade. It was like watching a TO wreck. Now the Lakers are more organised than that Warriors team, but when you try to play fast .. sometimes you rush. Especially against an elite defense like SA, who seemingly always have a man in place to cut off a passing lane or high % shot.

I think the reason Kobe and Odom only had 18 + 12 respectively is the TO's. When you play team ball and then TO the ball that much, it comes back and hurts the 2 best scorers. They don't get the amount of scoring chances they ought to.

Bynum + Farmar were superb. Ronny was excellent on D, horrible on O. Kobe's D is magnificent right now.

I can't wait to see Bynum, Turiaf, Odom, Kobe and Farmar starting for this team. I feel that is our best 5 man unit talent/matchup wise.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
hi_ma
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:50 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB. Started well just didnt finish. We will have the opp. to see them again.

Farmar and AB seem to embrace the big stage. Kwame is a jokey joke

The lakers will get prince.
LakerSince72
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject:

Thanks again DB. Sorry we all had to endure such a piss poor game.

I give this loss to PJ for not making the necessary adjustments on defensive focus AND making the wrong subs, especially during the 2nd & 3rd Qtrs. The Lakers looked about as lost as they did back during the Finals vs. The Pistons. It was painfully clear that we had no idea how we were going to score or stop the other team.

CLEARLY Farmar and The Big Baby Bynum made the case that they should've played the lion's share of minutes instead of D Fish and Kwame "no man's land" Brown. I'll bet the +/- on Farmar and The Big Baby Bynum will prove my point. Again, I fault PJ for not noticing this and making the adjustments. When we were down by 18 there was nothing to lose (except the game of course). Hell, give J Critt a chance to at least keep in front of Tony Parker. Anything would've been better than playing right into the Spurs hands like a teenage boy's prepubescent weiner.

BTW, did you see Coach Brian Shaw's face after Farmar SMASHED ON Tiny Tim AGAIN !?!?!?! He looked like "DAMN!!!! That was nasty!!!"
LakerSince72
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
I can't wait to see Bynum, Turiaf, Odom, Kobe and Farmar starting for this team. I feel that is our best 5 man unit talent/matchup wise.

I'm glad to see a seasoned LG'er agree with me. (I made this point last night to my lovely wife who patiently listens to my Lakers rants night in and night out....)

This lineup may not work every night but clearly we should quickly go to this line-up against teams with weaker interior players and great PG's (i.e. NO, Phoenix, Utah, San Antone). Unfortunately, I've never seen PG stray too far from his 1st and 2nd unit team sets. Hey PHIL!!! Can't you show some flexibility like Jeanie's back?
maddprophet
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject:

LakerSince72 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

I'm glad to see a seasoned LG'er agree with me. (I made this point last night to my lovely wife who patiently listens to my Lakers rants night in and night out....)

This lineup may not work every night but clearly we should quickly go to this line-up against teams with weaker interior players and great PG's (i.e. NO, Phoenix, Utah, San Antone). Unfortunately, I've never seen PG stray too far from his 1st and 2nd unit team sets. Hey PHIL!!! Can't you show some flexibility like Jeanie's back?

WHOA! how do you get your wife to listen to your laker rants? i get completely tuned out
Muad'Dib
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject:

Great work as usual, DB.

Need to stay home on the shooters or at least run them off the line and dare them (Bonner, Bowen,...) to put the ball on the floor and playmake.

And can someone please put Tony Parker on his derriere?!?!
The Private
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject:

How can we hold Duncan under double digits on points and still lose by 15? Does Kobe not know how to score on Bowen?
AJLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
I don't understand the notion of our perimeter defenders being drawn in off of covering their perimeter matchups (open at the 3 point line or midrange) when being drawn in does nothing to help the penetration being that they still aren't close enough to do anything but create a useless shadow. How does having two guys being drawn in outside the lane help interior D? Basically all they are doing is playing token defense since being pulled in all the way from the perimeter simply puts them in no man's land and in a space that has no bearing on what actually goes on in lane, yet does have the negative effect of leaving shooters open.

We have good enough defenders, especially down low, to leave these guys in one on one coverage. I can understand the need for Oberto or Elson's defenders to help out, but why in god's name leave ginobli, Parker, Bowen, or Finley open for shots they are known for hitting. Say we play Duncan one on one, do you really think Duncan goes off for 25+ on Bynum, Mihm, and Kwame with them using their collective 18 fouls? Or say we leave Parker and don't help, let him go for 25+? If we let Kobe shut down Ginobli or Finley (whoever is on the court), which he is fully capable of doing, and allow Duncan/Parker to combine for 50 points, do we really think the rest of the Spurs are capable of beating our other defenders to score 30-40 points needed to beat us? I don't think so personally.

Also, the TOs just have to stop. There is no reason for a guy like Ronny to get 6 TOs. Most of these TOs are not coming off of risky passes, but rather ordinary passes that are coming from bad post entries or mindless, impatient transition passes. The Lakers simply aren't working and being patient with their passes. That pass from Ronny into the back of Fisher's heel was the best example of this. We really need to cut our TOs down to under 15 a game.

The good news though is that we have limited the amount of 3s we have taken (our 3 point shooting also needs to improve though), which is good, and we have consistently outrebounded the teams we have faced. If the Lakers simply figure out a way to play good interior D while not leaving every Tom, Dick, and Harry shooter wide open (which is completely possible, teams like the Spurs do it, it's called picking and choose your spots) while limiting our TOs... there is no reason to believe we aren't fully capable of beating any team in the league.

The season is early yet and with good health on this team granting this team their first chance in a while to grow together, I full expect Phil to make the adjustments and allow this team to become a better unit as the season continues.

Shut up LakerSanity, you're starting to sound SANE with your take on the game and this team!!! I just don't get it.
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the write up DB!

It was probably good that I didn' see the game, but how in the hell do they hold Duncan to 2-13 shooting, 4 TOs and still friggen lose by 15? WTF?

Oh, and Bynumite better start tonight!

Last edited by Texas_Pete on Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

1- Team ball in a loss. HUGE aspect that is being ignored. This will help us in the longrun, and maybe as soon as tonight if the team is not wearing the strong effects of their first B2B. Ussually when this team drops down 10 points, it's Kobe time. I thought the Lakers and Kobe tried not to go there and when their offense improved in the 2nd half, unfortunately the defense slipped.

As I mentioned, I think the teamwork and players sacrificing for each other... that whole attitude was there... but our "group intelligence" wasn't. That means getting our best assets into the places that will cause the most damage. We didn't do that. Kobe can't play such a perimeter oriented game. LO can't drift ineffectively. And the team was clueless about getting the ball inside.

Defensively, we could have used more Farmar and more of his offensive pressure. We should have gone bigger, but with purpose on the offensive end to make Parker work more. And, of course, the turnovers just killed us.

A lot of this will come along better as the season goes along. The Spurs have played together for years.
maddprophet
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

As I mentioned, I think the teamwork and players sacrificing for each other... that whole attitude was there... but our "group intelligence" wasn't. That means getting our best assets into the places that will cause the most damage. We didn't do that. Kobe can't play such a perimeter oriented game. LO can't drift ineffectively. And the team was clueless about getting the ball inside.

Defensively, we could have used more Farmar and more of his offensive pressure. We should have gone bigger, but with purpose on the offensive end to make Parker work more. And, of course, the turnovers just killed us.

A lot of this will come along better as the season goes along. The Spurs have played together for years.

and they won't get another game like that out of bowen ever, not to mention bonner played above himself.
Alpha

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject:

thanks for the recap DB... sounds like a painful game to watch (with sporadic great highlights)... sad to think they were this sluggish on the front end of a back to back... let's pray for the best in Houston tonight.

btw, I agree with lakersanity about the D sagging away from the perimeter... just makes no sense! heck, with people like Peja and the 3 happy spurs out there, how can you leave them open??!? consistently for that matter?!
LakerSince72
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject:

maddprophet wrote:
LakerSince72 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

WHOA! how do you get your wife to listen to your laker rants? i get completely tuned out

Ummm.... forgive me. I guess I should stick to my "Expertism", like you huh? :roll:
LakerSince72
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
and they won't get another game like that out of bowen ever, not to mention bonner played above himself.

That may be true with Bowen. But as wide open as Bonner was most of the time, I could've hit those little gimmies. Let's face it, with last nights non-D, they'd make any NBA team look that good.
LakerSince72
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject:

DB, I remember some time back a link posted in LG for a site that gives the plus/minus for players, a line graph of the game flow and more really interesting stats, charts etc. Do you know of that site, link, post? I'd really like to find that site again. Thanks dude! You Rock!!!
SoCal88
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject:

It seemed very hard for the entry pass to the post. When they did, Kwame was the target. Kwame...was...the...target...

Any chance Crit gets activated in lieu of Mo?
maddprophet
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject:

LakerSince72 wrote:
maddprophet wrote:
LakerSince72 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Ummm.... forgive me. I guess I should stick to my "Expertism", like you huh? :roll:

nah man, i meant my wife tunes me out when i rant about the lakers, not me tuning your rant out. missunderstood, but don't diss the expertizm.

i'm actually in agreement with your take, wasn't taking a jab at ya.
LakerSince72
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject:

maddprophet wrote:
LakerSince72 wrote:
maddprophet wrote:
LakerSince72 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

nah man, i meant my wife tunes me out when i rant about the lakers, not me tuning your rant out. missunderstood, but don't diss the expertizm.

i'm actually in agreement with your take, wasn't taking a jab at ya.

My bad!!!!!! I take it all back!!!!! I lucked out when it came to wifey and sports cause she loves it almost as much as me!
And sorry about dissin' the "expertism" but....

my jizm is well timed critcism/ f#%k a TWisM/kobe break ya ankles like a light through a prism.....

Not too bad huh???? Well... Maybe I should stick to the day job, huh?!?!?
LakerSince72
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject:

LakerSince72 wrote:
DB, I remember some time back a link posted in LG for a site that gives the plus/minus for players, a line graph of the game flow and more really interesting stats, charts etc. Do you know of that site, link, post? I'd really like to find that site again. Thanks dude! You Rock!!!

Nevermind, I found it!!!

http://popcornmachine.net/GameFlows.html
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: