LAKERS -at- ROCKETS - 11/14 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AV
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:29 am    Post subject:

I only saw the last quarter of the game, but in that quarter the lake show was incredibly sloppy. I am sure Luke walton will have nightmares of Bonzi blowing by him again and again, and just a ton of completely stupid passes and fouls. Mihm not sure why he even went in there, playing very timid. Fortunately Kobe was able to make some clutch shots and really make quite a number of plays out of nothing. The last minute was just crap by the Lakers...I mean on one possession the Rocks had like 4 or 5 rebounds, fortunately they could't buy a three, and then fouling Yao and THEN still not getting the rebound! UGLY...but good points were Kobe keeping the team in it, was also nice to see Bynum hit some free throws late, I am sure those types of moments are going to pay dividends in the future
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:12 am    Post subject:

Interesting stat. All the starters had a minus number in the +- category (more points were given up than scored while on the floor) and all reserves had positive numbers (except for Mihm with -2 in 2 minutes). Bynum had a +10!
Rick12322
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:04 am    Post subject:

AllorNothing wrote:
Unbelievable that Farmar can get 9 rebounds in this game considering all the supposed "big" men we have.

No, actually it's not. With big men canceling each other out via blocking out , there are many opportunities for athletic guards like Farmar to swoop in and grab rebounds that hit the gaps.
Rick12322
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:06 am    Post subject:

rscogold wrote:
when Odom fouled out, Andrew came in and for a brief moment it looked like we would have a frontline of Kwame, Andrew and Ronny. that would have been great to see.

Seriously, I was hoping we'd put Kwame on Bonzi.
maddprophet
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:07 am    Post subject:

kwame's defense was great, he plays yao as good as anyone in the league.

whether it's poking the ball loose, showing and helping on screen rolls, or just bodying up yao and contesting the shot. he absolutely gives us something special on defense.

it's just such a shame his offense is so pathetic. can't catch, can't finish, (unless fed all alone at the rim), yet he can pass somewhat effectively. it's just such 2 polar opposites to his game. maddening at times.

but he's huge for us defensively. very few teams can play yao, duncan, shaq, ect... man to man w/out double teaming. it's why we can beat the spurs(eventhough we just loss) he alows us to play straight up, taking away a major part of these teams game plans against most teams. he's got value, it's just a double edge sword.
Arizona
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject:

prisma8slg wrote:
Mation wrote:
Thanks DB.

I noticed at the start of every game the Lakers bench stands up until the starters score. I wonder who started that? Wouldn't be surprised if it was Fisher and that routine does look a lot like Houston's.

Quote:
He dunked, cutting backdoor on James, then gave Mutombo the no-no finger.

Sweet revenge.

not sure who started it, but they've been doing it for a while - they did it last season as well.

loved Mo giving Mutumbo the no-no finger.

thanks DB

not sure who watched on ESPN or not, but I wonder how awkward it was for Van Gundy to commentate a home game of the team that fired him. I'm surprised how much I agree with him. He's funny and honest.
I watched it on ESPN. When Bonzi started playing so well, the other commentator, as they were going to commercial and were showing a Bonzi highlight, said something to the effect of: 'Bonzi Wells playing really well after not being able to get playing time last year. We'll discuss this with Jeff after the break.' Then when they came back, nothing was mentioned. Nice coaching, Jeff!

“You’ve got to play with pride and guts.” -LO
Rick12322
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:40 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB. I like your summaries at the beginning of each player the best. In fact, if you're ever in a hurry, I wouldn't mind if you had to skip the play by play. (Just a heads up)

That said, Bynum is growing into the beast I thought he would and i couldn't be more thrilled! He's got the raw God given tools to have a strong post game, and we need to start working a little harder on developing it.

Farmar is a bigger surprise than I had expected.

Fisher's decision making is disappointing.

Our small forwards are our achilles heel. Our teams biggest weaknesses are against fast guards and strong SF's like Cory Magette, Ron Artest, Bonzi Wells to name a few. Bonzi went off in this game on sheer power alone. I knew we were in trouble when TMac went out of the game, as Bonzi's been waiting for an opportunity like this to go ballistic.

Bottom line, if we are going to the next level, we need a Ron Artest calibur player. That one piece could be the single biggest difference maker for this team.
AJLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject:

Rick12322 wrote:
AllorNothing wrote:
Unbelievable that Farmar can get 9 rebounds in this game considering all the supposed "big" men we have.

No, actually it's not. With big men canceling each other out via blocking out , there are many opportunities for athletic guards like Farmar to swoop in and grab rebounds that hit the gaps.

you beat me too a reply that I was going to say. Dikembe and Bynum and Yao where so worried about the other getting rebounds it made for alot of other people coming in and scooping them up.
AJLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:47 am    Post subject:

Arizona wrote:
prisma8slg wrote:
Mation wrote:
Thanks DB.

I noticed at the start of every game the Lakers bench stands up until the starters score. I wonder who started that? Wouldn't be surprised if it was Fisher and that routine does look a lot like Houston's.

Quote:
He dunked, cutting backdoor on James, then gave Mutombo the no-no finger.

Sweet revenge.

not sure who started it, but they've been doing it for a while - they did it last season as well.

loved Mo giving Mutumbo the no-no finger.

thanks DB

not sure who watched on ESPN or not, but I wonder how awkward it was for Van Gundy to commentate a home game of the team that fired him. I'm surprised how much I agree with him. He's funny and honest.
I watched it on ESPN. When Bonzi started playing so well, the other commentator, as they were going to commercial and were showing a Bonzi highlight, said something to the effect of: 'Bonzi Wells playing really well after not being able to get playing time last year. We'll discuss this with Jeff after the break.' Then when they came back, nothing was mentioned. Nice coaching, Jeff!

Bonzi don't play defense like Van Gundy want his players to play, so if you don't improve that part of your game, sit you a** on the bench, I wish Phil would take that approach, then you would never see a Cook, Maybe Vlad that much, and limited minutes for Luke in the game just to name a few.
hi_ma
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:47 am    Post subject:

I said in game thread that AB was player of game, I meant Farmar. Good things happened it seemed when he was rolling.

AB had the 2 biggest sequences of the game IMO
*2 late FTs
*Late rebound

The lakers will get prince.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:55 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
We currently are the best team in the league in rebounding (have the highest rebounding differential in the league - the rockets are second).
Thank you Andrew, Lamar, Kobe and Ronny.

Lakers are a much better defensive team this season. Honestly, I know they're still average defensively game in and game out, but they have made some improvements defensively from last season.

Starting Ronny has made a big difference - major props to those that were behind that idea. However my concern with Walton moving to the pine remains, as it seems he is now close to useless. Exactly what I was worried about, Walton is a much better starter than he is a bench player for some reason. Our offense is also better when he starts, much better infact. A big reason for that is he's a facilitator and that is maxamized moreso when he's out there with a Kobe, Lamar, Fisher etc. who are our bigger scorers .. as opposed to the 2nd unit who don't have 15-30 ppg scorers. One way Luke can help us is to make plays with Andrew. He is one of the better passers in terms of getting bigs scoring chances. Also, Luke needs to post up as much as possible combined with more 2 man games with Andrew ... that is going to make him a better player for us.

I think eventually in about 5-10 games time, Luke will be more settled into his new role.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
We currently are the best team in the league in rebounding (have the highest rebounding differential in the league - the rockets are second).

Lakers are a much better defensive team this season. Honestly, I know they're still average defensively game in and game out, but they have made some improvements defensively from last season.

I have been skeptical of this just watching the games--mostly because the things they are doing poorly, they are doing really poorly. Hence, getting burned by Bonzi repeatedly by not playing him correctly, not closing out 3 point shooters correctly in NO or SA--those things stick out like a sore thumb and disguise the fact that a lot of defensive improvements have been made.

Hence, they're presently 5th in FG% against (43.1% against), 2nd in FG% differential (+5.2%), 1st in rebounding differential (+5.7), 1st in defensive rebounding differential (+7.1), 5th in total blocks, 6th in total steals, 16th in opposing team FTAs (which means they're putting the other team on the line a lot less--less stupid fouls?)--so those are all good trends.

But there are still some glaring issues--we're first in 3pointers against and 7th in 3point % against, 6th in assists against---which seems to support what we're seeing. They're doing a good job of protecting the paint (mostly), but guards are able to hit open three 3 point shooters with ease. I mean we're seeing a lot of aggravating things out there, but the numbers suggest we're doing a good job defensively despite that.

If they could simply get to average in defending the 3--so giving up about 6 or 7 instead of 8 or 9 per game, that could cut points against 3-6 pts. Then we're at 98-95 ppg against. If we could stop turning the damn ball over, there's a few more points the opposition doesn't score. Suddenly we're looking at a much larger point differential. Of course this is just me being opitmistic (for once)---but defending the 3 a little better and not being as careless with the ball both seem like correctable problems that could pay big dividends (without taking away from anything else they're doing correctly).
Cardom
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:27 am    Post subject:

AllorNothing wrote:

Our big men are crappy rebounders, except for Bynum who appears to be better and better.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject:

RG - The reason they are so bad on the 3's, IMO is in large part to their defensive stategy being "pack the paint". You have to collapse and stop the layup drills, then basically pick your poison. Do you want the shooters taking 3's or do you want a layup line? Because you can't stop both UNLESS all your guards and perimeter players can man up.

Right now, we are losing games or being beaten defensively when the opposing team makes their shots. To tell you the truth, I much rather have a team beat us like that in a 7 game series than take high % shots. If you watch the Phx win, that is exactly how we won. We didn't allow them to make easy shots inside, we forced them to shoot. They shot themselves out of the game. It also goes back to why Kwame is important as he will not need a double or help on a elite post player.

Infact the reason the opposing team's FG% is that low (43's is a very good number) is just that. We are challenging everything inside (thanks in large part to Ronny, Kobe, Andrew) and collapsing as a team defensively such that teams are becoming more and more jumpshooting oriented.

The key is to find that PG who can actually somewhat stay infront of Parker + Paul etc. If we can get Fisher moved to the pine and start say Crittenton or Farmar by playoff time, I think with this same effort on defense, the Lakers stand a much better chance at doing something in the playoffs.

The root cause is still the same though - dribble penetration. However if we can not allow the opposing teams to do what Parker did to us .. IE dribble penetrate + kick out for 3's, then the Lakers are going to really start challenging teams. I can't say how important the play of Ronny, Kwame, Andrew and Kobe has been defensively. For a number of reasons. Kobe's help D has been superb and he's not allowed teams to make soft layups inside. Andrew has been a monster on the boards and Ronny does not take a single defensive play off. Kwame's post man defense allows the other Lakers to stay on their man no matter who they play. When Lamar gets back to 100%, I think our SF defense will be much better (just compare last night's T-Mac in the 1st half pre-injury to the one on opening night matched up with Luke). All in All, I see a good reason to be optimistic about the Lakers defense in comparison to last year.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject:

I'm giving LO a pass for the week. He's trying to take on the SF role when he's been playing the PF role before, plus trying to get into shape after surgery recovery. I cringe everytime he rises up for a 3.

Seems like Kobe loves being able to rise up over Yao and drain a midrange shot. Those consecutive shots in the 2nd broke this game, and LA limped to the finish.

Kwame gets some kudos for his post D. Farmar brought the energy. The Rockets lost the game at the line just like the Lakers lost the home opener.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

I have been skeptical of this just watching the games--mostly because the things they are doing poorly, they are doing really poorly. Hence, getting burned by Bonzi repeatedly by not playing him correctly, not closing out 3 point shooters correctly in NO or SA--those things stick out like a sore thumb and disguise the fact that a lot of defensive improvements have been made.

Hence, they're presently 5th in FG% against (43.1% against), 2nd in FG% differential (+5.2%), 1st in rebounding differential (+5.7), 1st in defensive rebounding differential (+7.1), 5th in total blocks, 6th in total steals, 16th in opposing team FTAs (which means they're putting the other team on the line a lot less--less stupid fouls?)--so those are all good trends.

But there are still some glaring issues--we're first in 3pointers against and 7th in 3point % against, 6th in assists against---which seems to support what we're seeing. They're doing a good job of protecting the paint (mostly), but guards are able to hit open three 3 point shooters with ease. I mean we're seeing a lot of aggravating things out there, but the numbers suggest we're doing a good job defensively despite that.

If they could simply get to average in defending the 3--so giving up about 6 or 7 instead of 8 or 9 per game, that could cut points against 3-6 pts. Then we're at 98-95 ppg against. If we could stop turning the damn ball over, there's a few more points the opposition doesn't score. Suddenly we're looking at a much larger point differential. Of course this is just me being opitmistic (for once)---but defending the 3 a little better and not being as careless with the ball both seem like correctable problems that could pay big dividends (without taking away from anything else they're doing correctly).

That is EXACTLY what I was saying last night (to guys like HBA). Those two problems are MUCH more easily correctable than say a team that has a huge talet gap, a team that plays no defense, or Kwame's terrible hands. We are doing so many things well that to have two problems that are so narrow in issue says that this team could be EVEN better.

The TOs "SHOULD" go down as this team builds more chemistry, gets used to playing with eachother, the rotations become more consistent, and the players get used to their roles (see LO and Luke). Unlike the TO's though, the perimeter D won't minimize by attritition. That's all on Phil and him getting on Kobe, LO, Vlad, and Luke for sagging off the perimeter or not teaching them when they need to gaurd someone close (Bowen/Peja) v. when they need to guard someone with some sag (Bonzi).

I am pretty optimistic as well because I do see these issues alleviating so long as this team stays healthy.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
Rick12322
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:

That is EXACTLY what I was saying last night (to guys like HBA). Those two problems are MUCH more easily correctable than say a team that has a huge talet gap, a team that plays no defense, or Kwame's terrible hands. We are doing so many things well that to have two problems that are so narrow in issue says that this team could be EVEN better.

The TOs "SHOULD" go down as this team builds more chemistry, gets used to playing with eachother, the rotations become more consistent, and the players get used to their roles (see LO and Luke). Unlike the TO's though, the perimeter D won't minimize by attritition. That's all on Phil and him getting on Kobe, LO, Vlad, and Luke for sagging off the perimeter or not teaching them when they need to gaurd someone close (Bowen/Peja) v. when they need to guard someone with some sag (Bonzi).

I am pretty optimistic as well because I do see these issues alleviating so long as this team stays healthy.

Just wanted to say i agree they need to play smarter but the reality is LO, Luke, Vladimir and muscle head Mo were abused by Bonzi's power. None of those guys playing the 3 have the power to match up players like Bonzi, Maggette, Melo, Artest. I was hoping LO would be able to handle someone like Bonzi, maybe it was rust and lack of conditioning, i don't know. But in this game our SF's got their collective asses kicked.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject:

Rick12322 wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

Just wanted to say i agree they need to play smarter but the reality is LO, Luke, Vladimir and muscle head Mo were abused by Bonzi's power. None of those guys playing the 3 have the power to match up players like Bonzi, Maggette, Melo, Artest. I was hoping LO would be able to handle someone like Bonzi, maybe it was rust and lack of conditioning, i don't know. But in this game our SF's got their collective asses kicked.

You would be right if Bonzi was posting up.... but that wasn't the case. Bonzi was driving to the hoop from the perimeter and then, once he got there, he used his power to knock into bodies for layups or offensive rebounds. What they should have done was layed off him and made him take jump shots (exactly how Kobe guarded him at the end of the game). If he tried to drive after that, with players sagging off him, I see offensive fouls on the horizon. We needed to keep Bonzi out of the paint, particularly to avoid his opportunities for offensive rebounds, but we gaurded him air tight which was just in error.

I do think LO will be able to handle those guys once he settles in. Against LO, it was much more Bonzi's speed than power, but LO wasn't even on Bonzi most of the game... it was Luke and Vlad who got abused by Bonzi's speed (and then power). I think we will be fine, but IMO last night's "almost" loss was more about defensive strategy than the parts we have. On offense though, the Rockets just played in the second half the best defense I have seen this entire season (and the refs refused to give us any calls).

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
LaMesaLakerLover
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject:

maddprophet wrote:
kwame's defense was great, he plays yao as good as anyone in the league.

whether it's poking the ball loose, showing and helping on screen rolls, or just bodying up yao and contesting the shot. he absolutely gives us something special on defense.

it's just such a shame his offense is so pathetic. can't catch, can't finish, (unless fed all alone at the rim), yet he can pass somewhat effectively. it's just such 2 polar opposites to his game. maddening at times.

but he's huge for us defensively. very few teams can play yao, duncan, shaq, ect... man to man w/out double teaming. it's why we can beat the spurs(eventhough we just loss) he alows us to play straight up, taking away a major part of these teams game plans against most teams. he's got value, it's just a double edge sword.

Excellent accessment!

Kwame is so strong and shows great instincts on defense. As long as we don't pass him the rock with his back to the basket we'll be okay.

Going back to the defensive end, why the hell did PJ have Luke guarding Bonzi? Luke had a pathetic game all around. Terrible passes into the post, terrible d, terrible shooting, etc.

Fish and Odom looked aweful on offense. I still think we need to trade Lamar for a high draft pick, if possible. He just doesn't fit with this team. Not to mention, he's as dumb as a doorknob. I love him as a person, but I've never liked his game. Fish had better play smarter on the offensive end cause Jordan is nipping at his heals for the starting role.
All_Star_Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject:

I think the players need to start reading the scouting reports...

They don't sag off of Bonzi Wells as if he is going to drain jump shots over them but they do sag off of Peja as if he's going to drive and penetrate brokeback style (couldn't resist) ?

Not worried though...seems very correctable. I'd rather it be strategic mistakes than us implementing our strategy perfectly and realize we just suck.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB.

Farmar was up and down last night, but one series exemplifies why I love this kid.

I think it was the start of the 4th quarter and one of the rockets made a sloppy pass near the top of the key and a laker got a hand on it, deflecting it. It looked like the Rockets were going to pick it back up but Farmar dove to the ground, got an arm around it and shoveled it to Evans. Evans raced to the basket and tried to dunk it but hit front of rim. But Farmar had managed to get back up and trail him on the play, scooped up the ball and was fouled on his layup attempt. That's the kind of effort I love seeing and gets me excited about this kid. To get on the floor for the ball, then get up and trail the play - just a little thing, but it's what winners do.

Now if only he coulda made the free throws...
LaMesaLakerLover
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject:

Socks wrote:
Thanks DB.

Farmar was up and down last night, but one series exemplifies why I love this kid.

I think it was the start of the 4th quarter and one of the rockets made a sloppy pass near the top of the key and a laker got a hand on it, deflecting it. It looked like the Rockets were going to pick it back up but Farmar dove to the ground, got an arm around it and shoveled it to Evans. Evans raced to the basket and tried to dunk it but hit front of rim. But Farmar had managed to get back up and trail him on the play, scooped up the ball and was fouled on his layup attempt. That's the kind of effort I love seeing and gets me excited about this kid. To get on the floor for the ball, then get up and trail the play - just a little thing, but it's what winners do.

Now if only he coulda made the free throws...

Reminded me of D-Fish, in his prime. That play almost brought a tear to my eye. I'm so glad we didn't trade Jordan and Andrew to the Nets, last year, for Jason...
dudebroman
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject:

I think fisher hit the timely shots that kept us from letting the game get away from us. And he didnt hurt us at all as far as I am concerned.
Tanlentueux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:

nice !!!!!
*Purple&Gold*
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject:

A win is a win, and we`ll take it! A split in Texas is acceptable at this point. I think allot was learned during the Spurs game, and unfortunately, sometimes its easier to learn the hard way.
For a brief moment, I thought we were to get our first look at our version of the "Twin Towers", when Jax sent Bynum in and Kwame was still on the court. Before we get any ideas of sending Kwame on his way, I sure would like to see what we could do with Bynum and Kwame on the court together, given enough minutes/chances to see if they can gel. Should it work, we could give teams fits down low. Both Kwame and Drew bring something different to the table. If they both played up to their potential...I might smile.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: