PISTONS -at- LAKERS - 11/16 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:17 am    Post subject:

Anybody else see a young Tony Parker in Jordan F.?
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:18 am    Post subject:

ElginBaylor wrote:
Quote:
LO threw a bad pass right off an official, Vlad scooped it up and hit a runner.

Funniest NBA moment I've seen in a long long time.

I actually thought Kobe was supposed to keep moving but he stopped right before LO passed it. Funny nonetheless

BTW, thanks DB. Your recaps >> SportsCenter highlights.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:00 am    Post subject:

I love Kobe's defense. And that is what sets him apart from all the other so-called best players in the game: when his shot is not falling, he can still rely on defense to win games. And it's good to see that get attention. The first ESPN highlights of the game I saw focused on his defense and that is why the Lakers won. If he keeps playing like this, he better win DPOY.

Oh, and DB, I second the thanks for inserting links and videos into your write up. It did not go unnoticed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:11 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Kobe's game seemed to be the game in a microcosm itself -- battle hard on D, the offense will come and go, but stay consistent on D and good things will happen.

It seems like ever since Shaq was traded, this is true for almost every game -- specifically with FG %. If Kobe has a good shooting night, the Lakers as a whole also do, and the opposite is also true. I think it has to do with the volume of shots he takes as well as his overall influence on the team.
LakersInFour
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:18 am    Post subject:

Quote:
What you like about Cook is his versatility ... and by versatility, I mean, the many things you can use him for: a doorstop, a paperweight, someone who can tell you the time or fetch your mail...

I LOVE this ... in fact, I am making it my new signature line.

Great recap, DB ... as usual.
"It’s like going to the Getty and standing in front of Van Gogh’s Irises while some schmuck next to you critiques individual brush strokes. Just shut up already. The more you talk, the more you embarrass yourself."
Mr. Mojo Risin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:22 am    Post subject:

jmark wrote:

I was telling my buddy that last night.
golakersgo121
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:32 am    Post subject:

melo061 wrote:
tlim wrote:
Man, what a difference the switch was from Smush Parker to Derek Fisher... Thats crazy ish.

Hats off to Mitch for signing Fisher. Seriously, hats off. No Smush, and at the same time, a real team chemistry player who knows the triangle inside out. Incredible work ethic. The exact opposite of what Smush is.

It's just nice to not have to go through Smush's 'tude.

Uh. This is the weirdest day to talk about Fish and Smush. Smush outplayed Fish today (i watched both games, Smush was surprisingly decent while fish was worthless.

I was arguing similar point with LB last season. Our discussions helped me to realize the following: Smush's defensive attitude almost does not change, regardless of how good his offensive production is (he'll gamble or get lost defensively and will expose the bigs).
I can say the same about DFish and Farmar - they'll play with their all heart defensively - regardless of the offensive production. Their steals (if they have them) usually don't come as a result of playing passing lanes leaving their player way behind. Simply put, they have brain (sorry, Smush).

Thus the difference
In the paint
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:37 am    Post subject:

It was great to watch the 4th quarter of this game. Farmar definitely was an impact player in this game. It was good to see him get to finish the game. On the other hand Fish was awful. How long before JCritt will be ready to get some minutes.

Kwame is absolutely pathetic catching the ball, but he was great defensively against Rasheed Wallace. Kwame must be one of the few guys in the league quick enough to guard Wallace on the perimeter and big to push him out of the post on offense.

I have also noticed that VRad is now getting more playing time than Luke. That makes sense to me as Luke seems to have lost his shooting stroke this year (under 36%.)
limchrc
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:41 am    Post subject:

Nice win.
Rick12322
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:43 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB. It was great seeing Kobe and the bench cheering AB on after hitting that hook over Samb. It was good to see him finally hit his hook over a good defender. Phil said in a recent post game comment that they needed to work on that interior post play. It seems to me they've given him the green light to go for it a little more than previously this season. That can only be a good thing. The touch pass to Kobe proved that Bynum does have quick reaction time. The kids just gathering up experience, the more he gets the quicker he'll be reading and responding in like fashion. Can you believe he's only 20? Things are looking up indeed!

Mo Evans played the best defense with his feet last night, the best that I've seen from him. I hope he can get past this back injury thing soon. I think he's finally starting to grow a little as a player.

Farmar continues to impress me with his confidence and athleticism. He's still a big surprise to me this year.

What ever happened to Luke's shooting touch? He's bricking everything.
As his shooting goes, so goes the rest of his game. He seems to be fading from the team. He needs to get in the gym when Farmar does and work a lot more on his shooting touch. Likewise I get the sense he hasn't exactly maxed out his physical potential either.

Brian Cook, funny thing is I thought to myself, he's definitely due for a good game. I practically put that in the bank at tip off. Sure enough he did come out and do the one thing he can do and that's hit 3's. It was good to see him trying to take it inside as he was rewarded with free throws. He's trying to expand his game, he just can't keep up with the speed of the game.

Radmanovic, he played decently, and he's really been shooting a good percentage from 3, but I get the sense he hasn't really found his rhythm in our offense yet.

Kwame, = enigma. I wonder if his broken hand healed improperly and he needs an operation to reset the bones? I wish someone in the media would ask him about it.

I haven't been this excited watching Lakers B-Ball since 2004. This team's been a thrill to watch so far.
Mr. EiGhTy-OnE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:03 am    Post subject:

Rick12322 wrote:
What ever happened to Luke's shooting touch? He's bricking everything.

easy. its not a contract year anymore
*Purple&Gold*
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:07 am    Post subject:

At the conclusion of last season, I stated that during the off season, great mistakes could be made. Meaning...if we judged the team on what we saw (an unjury plagued team that never developed any type of chemistry) and made numerous changes based on not what could of been but what we saw...we would of made HUGE mistakes regarding the future of this squad. Luckily the Laker brass had faith in the talent they had, overlooked the poor ending to last season, and kept these players intact to give them a REAL chance to develope. I think as time goes by you will all be glad that a complete overhaul during the off season wasnt executed. What you are seeing now is no fluke. Give these players a full season to raise their games, get to know each others games, and we will surprise! I even have faith that Kwame will start to come around, but I must add that each time he was given the ball last night, he looked puzzled on what to do with it. Maybe he should look for his shot more often instead of looking to get rid of the ball as fast as he got it. Almost to the point of not wanting to do anything negative, he looked to get rid of the ball to the first player that was in the vicinity. On the positive for Kwame, while he searches for his offense, at least he is a big body on the defensive end actually making some plays to alter shots and keep some of our opponets bigs from gaining the position they are looking for. If this team comes together like it should, we will be alright.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:18 am    Post subject:

jmark wrote:

Yeah right, like Tony Parker could ever impact the game like that on the defensive end.
hi_ma
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:22 am    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
jmark wrote:

Yeah right, like Tony Parker could ever impact the game like that on the defensive end.

JF is sick. hes not scared. think of how great that is. Kobe finally has a guy who isnt afraid. He hasnt had a guy like that since
Fox ect

The lakers will get prince.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: PISTONS -at- LAKERS - 11/16 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

DancingBarry wrote:

What you like about Cook is his versatility ... and by versatility, I mean, the many things you can use him for: a doorstop, a paperweight, someone who can tell you the time or fetch your mail...

Ouch.

Other than that, love that they maintained their intensity despite the scoring drought and maintained their composure despite the Pistons' comeback. This is a team that looks confident, exhibited most by the improvement of Bynum, Farmar, and Vlad.

I was a little discouraged that they almost "died by the 3" last night. I knew that hot start in the 1st from behind the arc would hurt them in the end.
limchrc
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject:

Farmar is fast... but it seems like Tony Parker's speed is on a different level.
prisma8slg
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:18 am    Post subject:

thanks DB. Farmar continues to step up to the plate every game, and he's the greatest surprise this season.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject:

jmark wrote:
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
jmark wrote:

Better defensive version of Luke Ridnour is more reasonable.

Parker has elite speed. Elite ability to finish inside.

Farmar doesn't have elite speed although he has great ability to finish inside.

I think it'll be hard for Farmar to become as good as Parker. IMO Farmar would need to add more of a perimeter game (jumpshooting) for him to reach that all-star status.

Being what - 20, 21? I think he has a few years to really keep improving.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject:

DB was the only one who mentioned Lamar Odom. Where is the love for LO?

He is in training camp right now essentially. Once he is in full game shape, watch out.

LO is the X factor for this team....along with the heart of the team, Turiaf.

Kobe's D is much improved, great to see. More Radmo and less Walton is a good thing and I hope Sasha's DNP CD streak continues indefinitely.
hi_ma
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:54 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
DB was the only one who mentioned Lamar Odom. Where is the love for LO?

He is in training camp right now essentially. Once he is in full game shape, watch out.

LO is the X factor for this team....along with the heart of the team, Turiaf.

Kobe's D is much improved, great to see. More Radmo and less Walton is a good thing and I hope Sasha's DNP CD streak continues indefinitely.

14Mil. players arent x-factors. they are supposed to be "givens" game in and game out.
LO was very strong last night. Now lets do it again, and again, and again. Not the numbers, but the involvement.

I wasnt sure about the Rad signing but I am a believer. He brings cache' to the floor IMO

The lakers will get prince.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:55 am    Post subject:

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:
jmark wrote:

I was telling my buddy that last night.

Better defense.
Star
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject:

Great spot on analysis as always.

Cook. My god. I swear he has some incriminating evidence on somebody, because he is absolutely useless out there. How he plays at all when you have people like Vlad and Luke who could come in is beyond me. Even when he hits a 3, I cringe. Just means he might be in the game a little bit longer and allow someone else to grab an offensive rebound over him or fly pass him for a layup.

With Kwame, I just have no idea why anyone passes to him. I wish I could see him cleanly catch a pass. Even the easy ones he makes looks difficult. I don't care how small your hands are. Catch the stupid ball.
Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject:

Quality win. Ugly, yes, but I like it too.

The D was there, saving the day, because the O got very stagnant due to the zone. I guess Phil and the Lakers still haven't figured out what to do. Throw it around the perimeter and jack up a 3 isn't being aggressive or smart.

JoFar and Bynum are getting huge minutes in crunch time. Those two have certainly earned it. JoFar for Most Improved Player. The speed, tenacity and court savvy are all very impressive. Bynum - it's like watching our little boy grow up.

LO was super steady, but in a very workman like way. He's not draining shots from the perimeter. He's in the trenches, working for everything. Getting 15 boards against a very physical team is a real achievement. Getting 9 offensive boards was priceless. The Lakers shoot 38% and still break 100? How many times will that happen?

Kobe was MIA for 3 Quarters, but proved once again that he's the best closer in the NBA. The 3's he hit were true daggers. The D he played was suffocating and inspiring.
pointlance
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject:

Texas_Pete wrote:
ElginBaylor wrote:
Quote:
LO threw a bad pass right off an official, Vlad scooped it up and hit a runner.

Funniest NBA moment I've seen in a long long time.

I actually thought Kobe was supposed to keep moving but he stopped right before LO passed it. Funny nonetheless

BTW, thanks DB. Your recaps >> SportsCenter highlights.

I concur. You should seriously consider a career in sports journalism. Do you have any background in basketball coaching or are just a natural genius
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: