PISTONS -at- LAKERS - 11/16 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject:

Rick12322 wrote:
Kwame, = enigma. I wonder if his broken hand healed improperly and he needs an operation to reset the bones? I wish someone in the media would ask him about it.

If I recall correctly, he mentioned in an interview last year that his hand didn't heal properly because he never told the training staff in Washington that he even broke it. In fact, I think he said that he'd broken both hands at various times. But I could be projecting that to make sense of his inability to hold a basketball or even a cake.
24KaratGold
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject:

You forgot someone (I'll do it for you):

Ron Garretson -- -- Pretty solid game overall. Missed a few calls (LO getting goaltended), but came through to help the Lakers keep their momentum. The Stats: Ron wasn't able to score or pull down any rebounds, but in 48 minutes he managed to feed Vlad for a running jumper. The Action: With the shot clock winding down, Lamar was looking for Kobe. But Kobe knew that he wouldn't be able to make the shot, so he backed away and Lamar threw a cross court pass to Garretson, who touch passed it to Vlad for the score.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
TACH wrote:
jmark wrote:
Anybody else see a young Tony Parker in Jordan F.?

Better defensive version of Luke Ridnour is more reasonable.

Parker has elite speed. Elite ability to finish inside.

Farmar doesn't have elite speed although he has great ability to finish inside.

I think it'll be hard for Farmar to become as good as Parker. IMO Farmar would need to add more of a perimeter game (jumpshooting) for him to reach that all-star status.

Being what - 20, 21? I think he has a few years to really keep improving.

The knock on Parker for a number of years was that he did not have a good perimeter game. In fact, he is still knocked for this now, that he still needs to become more consistent from outside. A lot of players are knocked for this and have to learn how to shoot consistently rather than just penetrate and dunk.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject:

Chrome Hearts wrote:
Kwame shut down Wallace. Made Wallace take off balance shots. Wallace was barely a factor this game.

Go Kwame!!!

So did bynum, who was matched up against him during the key 4th quarter run.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject:

24KaratGold wrote:

Ron Garretson -- -- Pretty solid game overall. Missed a few calls (LO getting goaltended), but came through to help the Lakers keep their momentum. The Stats: Ron wasn't able to score or pull down any rebounds, but in 48 minutes he managed to feed Vlad for a running jumper. The Action: With the shot clock winding down, Lamar was looking for Kobe. But Kobe knew that he wouldn't be able to make the shot, so he backed away and Lamar threw a cross court pass to Garretson, who touch passed it to Vlad for the score.

TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject:

encina1 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
TACH wrote:
jmark wrote:
Anybody else see a young Tony Parker in Jordan F.?

Better defensive version of Luke Ridnour is more reasonable.

Parker has elite speed. Elite ability to finish inside.

Farmar doesn't have elite speed although he has great ability to finish inside.

I think it'll be hard for Farmar to become as good as Parker. IMO Farmar would need to add more of a perimeter game (jumpshooting) for him to reach that all-star status.

Being what - 20, 21? I think he has a few years to really keep improving.

The knock on Parker for a number of years was that he did not have a good perimeter game. In fact, he is still knocked for this now, that he still needs to become more consistent from outside. A lot of players are knocked for this and have to learn how to shoot consistently rather than just penetrate and dunk.

That's what I was about to say....

But, for me, IMO, I think JF is comparable to TP during his 1st and 2nd season... keeping in mind that JF plays in an entirely different style of offense...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject:

^
Misunderstood what I said. Not that I think Parker has that perimeter game, rather because of his elite quickness/speed he can get away without having a good perimeter game. Same thing for Wade.

Farmar OTOH doesn't have the same caliber speed/quickness, so for him to be able to match a Parker, he'll need the ability to shoot outside the paint a bit more than those 2.

Not that with Farmar's age and work ethic it's impossible, just that it's going to take time and a lot of work to reach that level.
Mation
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB.

Quote:
Love how you added The Stats and The Action break-outs and the video links.

Oh, and DB, I second the thanks for inserting links and videos into your write up. It did not go unnoticed.

Really good match ups defensively; Lamar guarding Prince, Kobe guarding Rip, and Kwame guarding Rasheed. I'm glad Kobe didn't force the issue on offense in the third. Like Odom said, Kobe just let everyone find themselves within this game to pull out a team victory. That Garretson was huge for us as well. Thank you Vlad for sinking the shot though. Both Mo and Kobe looked like they had a personal vendetta against the Pistons. Added emphasis on great plays, defensively or offensively, is always a good thing. Also liked Bynum's reaction when he made the excellent assist to Kobe along the baseline for an and-1. Great, great win. Thanks Lakers for giving me a good Friday and Saturday.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject:

pointlance wrote:

I concur. You should seriously consider a career in sports journalism. Do you have any background in basketball coaching or are just a natural genius

No coaching. I do have a background in journalism. But I like your "natural genius" idea.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject:

Mation wrote:
Thanks DB.

Quote:
Love how you added The Stats and The Action break-outs and the video links.

Oh, and DB, I second the thanks for inserting links and videos into your write up. It did not go unnoticed.

I was thinking of switching to The Stats and The Action for everyone. So, I tested it out on a couple players. I don't like the long blocks of copy and think that might be a good way to break it up. Perhaps bold ital for it.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject:

24KaratGold wrote:

Perfect. Maybe you can do a whole game one of these nights.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject:

24KaratGold wrote:

A few inches lower and Garretson would've had to join the Laker Girls squad.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Wolverine
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject:

24KaratGold wrote:

Wolverine
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: PISTONS -at- LAKERS - 11/16 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

DancingBarry wrote:
We went to pressure D and our second-unit energy took over the game... Nice to see this team win ugly...

Game Flow -- LINK -- Check out the +/- on the second unit.

Wow! That's just unbelievable!

I think it's a combination of depth and Phil trusting them enough to leave them out together at critical stretches of the game, and the guys themselves feeding off that confidence! It should serve us well and bring the best out of our starters as well!
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
GAME Highlights...

Odom Coast to Coast

Bynum throwing it down...

Added them + Vlad's score off LO's ref pass.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject:

DB - Isn't it frustrating to always be so good with the breakdowns!! (hehehehe)

DB - Cookie is a versatile, during this time with the Writers' Strike - he provides an excellent fodder for obvious jokes. His PT in the 2nd half was BRUTAL!! btw: I enjoyed the new comedic aspects of your breakdown, courtesy of Cookie - it was FUNNY!

What's great about DFish's play is that despite having a bad game (that will happen from time to time), he still contributed to a good win If this was Smush, well . . . nuff said

Noting the quality wins that the Lakers are starting to get, a foundation is starting to be built and with Kobe actually getting excited that the team is winning despite his offensive troubles while focusing on defense - which is GREAT!

As Norm Nixon stated (one of the few tangible/conrete observations - however minimal) was that PJ is starting to find the players that he wants at the end of games.

DB - Maybe you can add a review of how bad Norm Nixon's "observations" (in the form of the Nixon tapes) and his "Horse Game" segment is every time. It's GAWD AWFUL AND BORING. Even the TNT team, with all the joking that they do on-air provide more "DB-Type" breakdowns that are actually worth listening to.

DB - why do you think that Cookie was playing over Mihm @ PF
OR
Having Mihm at "5" with Kwame at "4"
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:

DB - Maybe you can add a review of how bad Norm Nixon's "observations" (in the form of the Nixon tapes) and his "Horse Game" segment is every time. It's GAWD AWFUL AND BORING. Even the TNT team, with all the joking that they do on-air provide more "DB-Type" breakdowns that are actually worth listening to.

I'm giving him a pass right now. He doesn't know this team at all. He's not familiar with a lot of what they are trying to do. It shows...but I think he'll get a little better over time. He'll never have the energy that Jack had, for sure.
Quote:

OR

The Pistons were a bit on the smaller size and not as huge a post threat, so perhaps Phil thought Cook could match up better. Could also be that he anticipated the zone and Cook's a better option for that. Just speculating, I didn't hear any reasoning.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:21 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
I'm giving him a pass right now. He doesn't know this team at all. He's not familiar with a lot of what they are trying to do. It shows...but I think he'll get a little better over time. He'll never have the energy that Jack had, for sure.
Quote:
OR
The Pistons were a bit on the smaller size and not as huge a post threat, so perhaps Phil thought Cook could match up better. Could also be that he anticipated the zone and Cook's a better option for that. Just speculating, I didn't hear any reasoning.
What is lacking with Storming Norman is that there is very little in-depth breakdown, very surprisingly considering that he is a former player and has seen the Lakers when he was breaking down the Clippers. Did Jack just didn't want to return this year so that he has more time to play poker - his varotie passion, except when he is partying with Rodman.

Mihm vs. Cookie - Since it is early in the season, maybe he just wanted to give Cookie another chance to rail before he is a permanent member of the IR list. Kirk Rambis clearly stated on the radio (in a very tactful fashion) that whenever teams saw Cookie on the court, whoever was guarding went immediately at him ALL THE TIME. When will Cookie start developing other parts of his game to the point that he at least can be described as just bad - NOT AWFUL!
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:25 am    Post subject:

^i wonder what the reasoning was for giving him that job. how many people were interviewed. you gotta think that the laker job had more applicants.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: