Official: Ariza for Cook & Mo (DONE DEAL!!!)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject:

Quotes from Magic fans about Ariza:

Quote:
Great offensive rebounder, nice defender, awesome dunker, horrible offense.

Quote:
good defensive player, and a good aggressive slasher to the rim. He can't shoot the J to well, but makes you forget about it with his hustle plays.

Quote:
i wonder if we even asked for bynum.

Quote:
WTF. We got RAPED on this trade. Ariza was our best defender. Who will guard Garnet the next time we face Boston. Cook???

Quote:
This trade really doesn't seem that bad. I hate to lose Ariza, but we definitely needed some help on the frontline.

You've got to lose players to gain players. Unfotunately it was a popular role player, but I'm confident Otis knows what he's doing.

Quote:
I hate the trade too, really really bad value for Ariza.

Quote:
Cook sucks, he is a black Pat Garrity..

Quote:
List of Magic players I hate:
Carlos Arroyo
Pat Garrity
Keyon Dooling
*Brian Cook (Just Added)

Quote:
ariza with less pt got more steals/blcoks/ and rebounds than any of these guys combined..im so upset right now...i missed watching the fast breaks wehre you knew he was gonna dunk it..although it was rear..but when he did get them...it was a sure 2 points..

Quote:
Ariza was a player with great potiential that SVG obviously didn't value. This had to have been personal because everytime Ariza was in the game he played well this year. This move sucks imo.

Quote:
1) not a great passer...what 2 things are we doing right now on offense? spotting up shots and passing the ball to Dwight...

2) no offensive confidence aside from dunking the ball, has worked on his shot, but doent really fit the SVG scheme at this time.

3) he's awkward, let's face it, if we started with Nelson/Riza/Hedo/Lewis/Howard, we'd probably get decimated with all the foul calls and zero out put from the 2 spot with the ball...

he's a great kid, i see him doing big things with the proper tutelage, but if SVG agreed to this, it must be the right thing...i bet it was really difficult to deal him...

Quote:
I love Trevor to death but obviously SVG didn't like to use him unless it was for some defensive stints. I wish Trevor all the best in L.A. and I bet he can average double figures in his hometown.

Last edited by manlisten on Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Crazy Like Ron Artest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject:

Wow, for some reason I'm singing that Sexy Lady song right now.

Is it possible that this is sexually stimulating?

Could be. Cuz this is damn goooooooood!!!

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
emagic32j
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Sweet Deal!

COOKie is a soft as Ms. Field's. Send his butt to Orlando and don't the door hit him on the way out!

UCLA Represtin' on the Laker roster!

Watch out for KEVIN LOVE!
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
Brand New
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject:

Haha, we finally we got of rid of Cook his defense is horrible and his attitude reminds me of a once Laker Smush Parker.The reason why I seem to like this trade because this opens up more playing time for J.Crittenton and Cobi Karl.I feel bad for Mo evans but if it means getting rid of Cook then I'm happy!
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
I LOVE the Lakers... this is going to be sooooo freaking awesome. We should have a free roster spot now, so hopefully we pick up a PF. This is a very solid move for the Lakers IMO. I know Ariza is good defensively, but I am not sure what he has to contribute on offense. Hopefully this will increase the chance for Crit to get some minutes behind Kobe.

Offensively, I could care less. The 2nd unit is scoring plenty of points even with Mo have a pretty piss-poor shooting performance so far this season. Ariza is fully capable of playing the 2 (see 82games from last year) and brings hustle and pressure D, which is exactly what the 2nd unit thrives on. Vlad, Luke, and Farmar have shooting more than covered.

And I too hope this means the imminent signing of a veteran PF.
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject:

Mitch Kupchak for GM of the year. The Magic turned down the chance to sign Webber and instead were going after "a big man" via trade, according to this article. So they trade for Brian Cook? I'm no Cookie hater, but there's only one response to that:

rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject:

Good to see another Bruin on the team (though he did ditch for the draft without doing much). Good to have a solid SF defender to balance Walton's skill set. Shame to see Mo gone but hopefully it'll open a spot up for a decent PF and another outside shooter since we do need help there.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject:

before you even consider basketball, this was a good move simply because once areza opts out next summer, it will allow us to use the full mle without paying lux tax (give or take some pennies).

had we not been able to unload cook for an exp deal, i dont' think the lakers would have used their mle. now, there is at least a chance they will after resigning ronny and solving the mihm/kwame situation.

now, about basketball - an athletic wing defender is something some of us have been whining about forever, and now we have him.
still, this does leave a gap at back up sg and an overload of small forwards.

imo, this is the perfect time to move odom, and with a sf like areza on board - jason kidd is the right target.

another angle to consider - the lakers actually have a shot at creating cap space next summer.
all it would take is to move odom for an expiring contract - and it doesn't even have to be a crappy one.

odom+1st for jamison ?
odom for marion who'll opt out ?
odom to kings in a 3 team trade that nets us artest and an exp ?

we can stay competitive AND create elton brand cap space if we chose to go this way. we have to at least give it a thought imo.

but regardless, i think the next move needs to be sasha for a back up shooting guard.
critt will be a good 3rd string pg/sg for now, but for full time back up duty at shooting guard, we should get a natural shooting guard, and we can offer sasha, karl, cash, picks - whatever it takes.

i wonder if sasha and a 1st for gerald green would be enough ?...
msb212
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
fifth_rune wrote:
More than a trade, this would be the first time a poster in either CL or LG actually got the jump on one.

There is an LG poster here who had it at the exact same time as the CL poster. If he wants to come forward, I'll back him up.
why thanks, DB!
jacksonjoe69
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject:

Not a big deal. It's a minor trade and Cook will be much happier chucking shots in Orlando. Cook and Mo both had the lowest bb IQ's on the team.
VujacicFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject:

Yay! More Sasha minutes.
jacksonjoe69
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject:

Actually, if anyone watches the Magic play Cookie would be perfect for their system. All they do is drive and kick and when Howard gets doubled he dumps the ball back out.
Star
Star Player
Star Player

I sign on for anything that gets rid of cook.
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

He wasn't a good fit here and I am glad he is gone, but I wouldn't be surprised if Cook does well in another system.

This is a good day in Lakerland!
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject:

I'm not sure why people don't think Ariza can handle minutes at the 2. He's a bad shooter, but he can handle, run the break, and initiate the offense like a guard. He has the length and athleticism to guard 2s as well. We have enough shooters on the team.

http://kfba.net/kfba/WebModules/Players/Player.aspx?PlayerID=843

You can't consider the contributions he'd provide on defense alone and call this a lateral move.
Osama YoMama
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject:

I haven't been this happy in years.

This is truly a miracle. No more Brian Cook on the Lakers!

CAN I GET A HALLELUJAH?

GSW 135
LAL 95

Result:

LAL 123
GSW 119
HeatCandela
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject:

This is a great trade. Trevor Ariza will be a great addition to the team!
jmac78
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject:

Now we know why Cook started at PF the last few games. Go Lakers!
Mick3ns
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject:

I think its a bad trade, Cook was the second coming of Sam Perkins...I couldnt even type that with a straight face

I'll miss Mo', but Cook had to go...It rhymes

Last edited by Mick3ns on Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Coca James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject:

Ariza was one of the guys Kobe invited to his camp to play with him during the summer. Good Move by the Lakers.

"I have to be assertive, and if the ball doesn't go in, it gives us a good rebounding opportunity." - Kobe
Mr. EiGhTy-OnE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject:

bye bye cookie!
LakerSince72
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject:

[quote="frijolero01"]wait a minute. wait wait wait wait. Did Mitch actually....

PULL THE TRIGGER!
quote]

My sentiment EXACTLY!! I guess he got bored reading the paper and making coffee for Jeanie....
yanyon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject:

i really never liked cooked, like someone posted earlier, everytime he touched the ball he created TO's. Evans tried and sometimes never tried to put his heart in the game... im glad their both gone and with Ariza comin to the lakers, it'll be more fun to watch a much defensive team now.

YaHoooooooooooooooooo !
drew4lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject:

I'm as excited as a ot of my fellow fans here.

Once Smush was gone, Cook became the next guy I was hoping the Lakers would move out.

I'm not going to hate on the guy, I wish him well and maybe he will thrive with a fresh start somewhere else.

I am glad to see Cook's contract off the books. Plus I have to admit he made me real nervous whenever he was on the floor.

I'm going to miss Mo Evans. With Ariza coming in though, I feel its a good trade. Some defense instead of offense. I am almost as excited to have Ariza here as I am to see Cook's conract moving on.

I agree with others that there must be plans for another big to be on his way over. Or at least i sure hope so.

I'm glad to see the lakers pulling the trigger on an in season deal. There is still plenty of tiem for Ariza to acclimate himself to the lakers' system, and my sense is that he has the basketball IQ to become a valuable contributor sooner, rather than later.
DzLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
This basically puts Rad at PF and leaves one roster spot open for another PF. I hoping that spot will be filled either through trade or by Chris Webber or PJ Brown. With Kwame out, we only have three big men - Ronny, Mihm, and Bynum. I would expect us to pick up another big VERY soon.

With Turiaf back, Cook wasn't going to get minutes anyway. Don't forget Odom plays the 4. Once he came back, he got a lot of backup minutes there.

I really doubt they make another move. It's not like Mitch to be too active.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10
Jump to: