Bad Karma catches up with Riley. (Good read)

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hig
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Bad Karma catches up with Riley. (Good read)

I thought this article was right on the money! Good for Stan. I'm lovin' it.

Van Gundy Living the Life of Riley

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/7528296?MSNHPHMA

"Pat Riley must know he is locked inside a prison of his own design. At 62, he appears destined to finish his Hall-of-Fame career in the bowels of a conference that might be ruled by a man he fired......"
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject:

Yeah, felt bad for Stan - Riley sure left a huge knife in his back.

Shaq actually threw the door open when he was whining and moaning about his touches (some things never change) after that Game 7 loss to Detroit. Shaq knew exactly what he was doing. Riley just walked into that door the next season.

Riles may not last this season as coach. Just nothing in it for him, which of course means he'll remove himself from the situation.
winstonemby
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject:

Riley did get an extra ring with Showtime so it's not like he got screwed in the ordeal.
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Riley has a team built around the mummified remains of Shaquille O'Neal.

Actually, not being able to pick up any free agents this summer really hurt the Heat. Wade is coming off of two surgeries and will need some time. Even with Shaq's less than stellar performance, the heat have a nice center rotation with Shaq, Zo, Blount. That said, they are short the pg they have been looking for and a vet swingman.

Shaq's 20 mil put a squeeze on the Heat obtaining any other talent to keep them afloat. 20 mil sure doesn't get you much anymore...15/8.
hi_ma
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject:

big riles fan here

The lakers will get prince.
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject:

oldschool32 wrote:
Shaq's 20 mil put a squeeze on the Heat obtaining any other talent to keep them afloat. 20 mil sure doesn't get you much anymore...15/8.

This is from Shaq's page on ESPN.com:
O'Neal, who took only seven shots in Friday's loss to Boston, questioned why the offense seems to move away from him for stretches late in games, the Miami Herald reports.

Maybe because hack-a-Shaq works?
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject:

Exick wrote:
oldschool32 wrote:

This is from Shaq's page on ESPN.com:
O'Neal, who took only seven shots in Friday's loss to Boston, questioned why the offense seems to move away from him for stretches late in games, the Miami Herald reports.

Maybe because hack-a-Shaq works?

You'd think that'd be obvious to Shaq by now. Nothing new there at all and he should know that. The new thing is that Shaq just doesn't have the stamina to be a go-to player at the end of games anymore. Even in his limited minutes now he's sucking wind at the end of games. What coach wants to give the ball to a guy who can't shoot free throws and is obviously tired when the game's in the balance?
Lakers 71-72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject:

Now, do you think Riley would prefer fielding a team of Wade, Butler and Odom at this point, or his self-proclaimed superheroes, 'Superman' and 'Flash'?
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject:

Lakers 71-72 wrote:
Now, do you think Riley would prefer fielding a team of Wade, Butler and Odom at this point, or his self-proclaimed superheroes, 'Superman' and 'Flash'?

I'm sure he'd rather have LO/Caron and Wade now...but I'm also sure he wouldn't trade in the Heat championship to have that right now. The Heat sold their long-term prospects down the river to win a championship - their first and only championship. It was probably the right move for them, they just have to accept the consequences now.
hig
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:21 pm    Post subject:

oldschool32 wrote:
Quote:
Riley has a team built around the mummified remains of Shaquille O'Neal.

Yeah...that's my favorite line!
Freakout
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject:

Socks wrote:
Lakers 71-72 wrote:

I'm sure he'd rather have LO/Caron and Wade now...but I'm also sure he wouldn't trade in the Heat championship to have that right now. The Heat sold their long-term prospects down the river to win a championship - their first and only championship. It was probably the right move for them, they just have to accept the consequences now.

Yup, Wade is going to be in a situation very similar to Kobe's in a few years.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject:

Freakout wrote:
Socks wrote:
Lakers 71-72 wrote:

Yup, Wade is going to be in a situation very similar to Kobe's in a few years.

Except Wade has an opt out in (I think) 3 years. Smart on his point to take a year less on his extension. Miami will be in a mad scramble in the next few years to field a team competitive enough to keep him in Miami.
24KaratGold
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject:

During Showtime, all the Lakers quit on Riley because he kept pushing them and they got tired of it after all those years. And now Riley's quitting on his team
melo061
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:48 am    Post subject:

hi_ma wrote:
big riles fan here

me too.

" No rebound, No rings". He got Shaq to play to play some screen and roll defense, something PJ for most of his time in LA couldn't.

He cares about defense and isn't stubborn. Smush started in LA even though he was being outplayed. Riley changes his starting lineup and plays whoever preforms.

Perfect music.
hi_ma
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject:

melo061 wrote:
hi_ma wrote:
big riles fan here

me too.

" No rebound, No rings". He got Shaq to play to play some screen and roll defense, something PJ for most of his time in LA couldn't.

He cares about defense and isn't stubborn. Smush started in LA even though he was being outplayed. Riley changes his starting lineup and plays whoever preforms.

Yup. Also I think Wade is a bit overated in regards to being able to carry a team. yes hes a stud but I think Riles overvalued him a bit. Either way Riles style as a coach is one I like. He was the coach of my favorite lakers team ever. He for me is a Laker for life.

The lakers will get prince.
hig
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject:

hi_ma wrote:
He was the coach of my favorite lakers team ever. He for me is a Laker for life.

I used to think the same until hiscomment about giving all his Lakers championship rings to win the one with Miami. That pissed me off!

Keep your tainted ring and your a** in Miami with your losing team.
Lakers 71-72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject:

Shouldn't he be somewhat embarrased that the 'one for the thumb' was delivered to him by Stern on a velvet pillow?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: