LAKERS -at- WARRIORS - 12/14 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:25 am    Post subject:

Phil's loss, plain and simple. We were up 102-96 with 3:27 left to go. Which means we were outscored 12-6 in the last 3:27. For us to lose this game, everything basically had to go wrong.

Turn over the ball. Check.
Miss shots. Check.
Give up 3pters. Check.
Give up Offensive Rebounds.Check.

Give all the credit in the world to Baron Davis for making the clutch 3s our guy Kobe Bryant was supposed to make, but still. I expected this loss to be honest, but I hate losing a good that it turns out we should have won (regardless of my expectations entering the game).

My basic thoughts are the Luke needs to look himself in the mirror. He's been terrible. Kobe needs to get healthy and then look himself in the mirror again and think about his decision making and his defensive intensity. LO needs to look himself in the mirror and think about his decision making, and how much he avoids the post. I most concerned about Kobe... his energy level, lateral quickness, and lift have all decreased from a month ago, then add the groin problem to that. Not good stuff.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:57 am    Post subject:

Straight up I really hate any city who Chants Beat LA!!!!!!!!!!!
They are truly our mortal enemies for life

I mean yes you hate the Lakers. Yes you say Kobe sucks . Fine. But when you say Beat L.A it kinda gets more personal than basketball. You all know it is animosity to the city of Los Angeles. Southern California if you must say.

We have it all good weather good women, good everything. I don't now it just gets really enoying and that chant is too popular outside of So Cal.

I really wish that Beat L.A chant would be illegal
Cardom
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:38 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
Phil's loss, plain and simple. We were up 102-96 with 3:27 left to go. Which means we were outscored 12-6 in the last 3:27. For us to lose this game, everything basically had to go wrong.

Turn over the ball. Check.
Miss shots. Check.
Give up 3pters. Check.
Give up Offensive Rebounds.Check.

Give all the credit in the world to Baron Davis for making the clutch 3s our guy Kobe Bryant was supposed to make, but still. I expected this loss to be honest, but I hate losing a good that it turns out we should have won (regardless of my expectations entering the game).

My basic thoughts are the Luke needs to look himself in the mirror. He's been terrible. Kobe needs to get healthy and then look himself in the mirror again and think about his decision making and his defensive intensity. LO needs to look himself in the mirror and think about his decision making, and how much he avoids the post. I most concerned about Kobe... his energy level, lateral quickness, and lift have all decreased from a month ago, then add the groin problem to that. Not good stuff.

Kobe needs to man up. He's been playing less minutes and has had to score less because others are stepping up. He needs to sit on the bench if he's injured/tired. I dunno what's been happening with him this month, but he is not himself. He should either rest or get it together.
Tanlentueux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:31 am    Post subject:

Cardom wrote:
Phil stunk it up.

Odom stunk it up.

Kobe stunk it up.

Meanwhile, Bynum was 8-10.
Bravo Bynum, thanks DB.
jmnluvr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:13 am    Post subject:

The lack of Ariza was really disappointing, especially considering how effective he was against them just a week ago.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:39 am    Post subject:

DB - It's amazing how you recap these games so thoroughly and then you get the analysis right on top of it.

I don't often get on Phil but I agree he gets the thumbs down for the last three minutes or so. Kobe should have been yanked earlier. He couldn't run. He was a defensive liability. Besides, let's hope that by keeping him in didn't aggravate the injury. I kept yelling, "Bring in Ariza", but by the time he did, it was too late.

Baron wanted this game and almost willed their victory. He was pretty darn Kobe-like during the stretch.
Mr. EiGhTy-OnE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:05 am    Post subject:

FREE TREVOR ARIZA
prisma8slg
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:51 am    Post subject:

thanks DB. that was the most painful loss this season.

"I've seen it all. Sasha dunked on somebody," Kobe Bryant said. "I'm ready to retire now."
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:56 am    Post subject:

DazedAndConfused wrote:
To be fair Kobe wasn't giving anyone else a chance to step up. He wasn't deferring to his teammates, he was taking horrid shots and trying to iso against Jackson.

Funny how your boy Odom managed to squeeze in a season high 20 shots, along with his usual:

Quote:
Wish we had the bonehead possession back with under a minute left where Lamar threw the ball up for grabs while falling down with the shotclock low.

BigE32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:59 am    Post subject:

Thanks, DB. Disappointing loss, to put it nicely. These are the games you look back on at the end of the season, and wish you had. It could mean the difference b/w having home court advantage in the playoffs or even being in the playoffs. We were in control of the game, and the wheels came off. I liked the idea of doing an offensive/defensive substitution with Ariza and Kobe at the end. Very poor job of coaching by PJ down the stretch. He finally calls a timeout with 16 seconds left and we're down 4. His substitution patterns in crunch time of games need to be questioned, IMO. I'm still upset that we lost this game. I hope Kobe's ok, but it didnt' look good when he attempted that awkward movement against Stephen Jackson. We can't afford to keep blowing games late when we have the lead. I know we're young, but we do have some veterans who've been in these situations before. Hopefully, we can regroup and beat the Clippers before we head out on the road.
Rick12322
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:15 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB. This was a very disappointing and frustrating loss. What was Phil thinking!? I get it, Luke stinks in practice so he's ready to start. I don't think he'll ever be ready to start against teams like GSW because he simply isn't athletic enough.

In the closing minute(s)Kobe, missed a wide open Bynum under the basket, opting rather to chuck up another contested brick! This must have been Kobe's worst game ever, he's obviously got some other health problems? The way he was playing we shouldn't have even brought him back in the game at all. Sasha would have done better.

Phil Jackson playing Luke and Radman way too many minutes over Trevor Ariza is inexcusable! Not only is his defense suspect, but V. Rad cannot, I repeat, CANNOT handle the kind of defensive pressure a Matt Barnes brings to the game, especially in a game when the refs have decided to swallow their whistles! How many times have we seen this? V.Rad turning the ball over repeatedly when faced with that kind of pressure?

If Kobe plays vs. t he Clippers and looks like he did last night we need to give him the hook and fast, we'll just have to find a way to survive without him. Could be a great opportunity for Javaris.
Heir
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:18 am    Post subject:

http://www.clublakers.com/heirz-corner-lakers-blow-it-in-oakland-2065.html
We are earth people on a spiritual journey to the stars. Our quest, our earth walk, is to look within, to know who we are, to see that we are connected to all things, that there is no separation, only in the mind.
golakersgo121
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
FBP Si 2000 wrote:
Bynum, 8-10, but did not box out on a key play...where Biedrins or whatever his name is got the tip-in for the 1 pt. lead.

Anyway, the game shouldn't have gone down like that when they had an 8pt lead with like 3mins to go.

Bynum was watching the ball the whole way. Don't know what he was thinking on that.

Not an excuse - DB, for Drew. But Phil should have put him back in the game earlier. Too long of a rest in the fourth for Drew.

People have to be in the game mentally, whether they are on the bench or actually on the floor. But too long of a rest gets this effect on you, IMHO.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject:

Ugh, so much wrong here. One loss, big deal, we will move past it.

But the Lakers always jump out to big leads only to lose them. That is a sign of a poorly-disciplined team. Build the leads, but hold on to them!

And it disappointed me that the Lakers went away from what helped them beat the Warriors less than a week ago. Bynum. Go inside! How many times did I see Bynum post up but the PGs refused to go to him? On several occasions I saw Bynum post up but Fisher looked at him, then decided to go around the perimeter.

And yes, Kobe had a bad shooting night, but this team SHOULD be able to overcome a bad shooting night from him.

FREE THROWS FREE THROWS FREE THROWS! In a span of a minute, Ronny missed 3 of 4 free throws. Pathetic! Then Fisher came up, and they threw a stat on the screen how he was 3rd in the league in FT percentage. What happens? He missed the front end of the FT. Kobe had some misses. Need to get make those, fellas.

The Lakers tried playing too much like the Warriors, and that's how the Warriors like it. Long shots leading to long rebounds leading to quick transition shots for the Warriors. And that is how the Warriors won this game.

That last three by Baron was just sick. But with 5 fouls on him, why didn't the Lakers go at him trying to get him to foul out?

Finally, as long as he is a Lakers, I will continue supporting Odom, but I think he has worn out his welcome here. That under a minute possession was just pathetic. What's more, whenever he had the ball I just anticipated him walking with the ball or turning it over somehow.

At this point, Odom is expected to be the #2 guy on the team, but he does not play like it. If he left the team, I don't feel it will be a big loss. The other guys have a role on the team and they play like it. Odom has no role anymore. If we traded him, what we get back will more than adequately replace what he can do. At this point, we want him for rebounding and some scoring. If we got a big back for Odom, I think we will do pretty well. Give us 10 points and 10 rebounds, what Odom does, but without the bonehead moves.

I honestly don't think this team will have any drop off if Odom is gone.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Rick12322
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:10 am    Post subject:

Heir wrote:

Good take. I put this loss on Phil for two obvious reasons, number 1 playing Luke too many minutes over Ariza, 2) leaving Kobe in too long when he's obviously hurting and stinking up the joint. Yah, the game was ours to win, had our coach made right decisions.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:18 am    Post subject:

Phil's Luke Walton fixation has become extremely annoying to this observer when there are athletic defenders available on the bench.

Also, Kobe needs to not try and play hero if he is hurt. Just tell the coach what is really going on and sit if you can't or won't guard anyone.

The Warriors crowd was a factor, but the Lakers absolutely gave the game away. Only bright side is Andrew Bynum is showing signs of being ready to dominate the league....3rd in dunks right now in the NBA despite Phil's pet projects like Mihm and Kwame stealing some of his minutes.
LakerFan1972
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:26 am    Post subject:

Rick12322 wrote:
Heir wrote:

Good take. I put this loss on Phil for two obvious reasons, number 1 playing Luke too many minutes over Ariza, 2) leaving Kobe in too long when he's obviously hurting and stinking up the joint. Yah, the game was ours to win, had our coach made right decisions.

You got it right there. This is why Phil is getting paid the big bucks, to make the tough decisions ... even if that means benching the best player in the game because he is hurting the team ... not to mention himself.

Kobe should have been benched in favor of Farmar. It was Farmar that led the 2nd unit in the 4th quarter to take the lead. It was the Kobe led starting unit that gave the game away. If Kobe can't play, the one other player on the team I want to be making decisions in pressure situations is Farmar. The kid is fearless. Leaving the game in the hands of someone like Odom ... please, how dumb is that.

That game was ours. Phil blew it.
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject:

Thanks as always DB.

I always hate when we lose, but I feel "ok" with this one. It was the second night of a back-to-back, we're a young team, and frankly 106 pts should be enough to win. Once we are healthy we will be fine but we must bring it defensively.

The Warriors got away with murder - even moreso than the Spurs game. In the end we were right there. A rebound here (please block out bigs!) or a loose ball there and we would have had that game. Would have been nice if PJ would have put Ariza on Davis the way he did on AI. Hey Phil, is that not why you traded for Ariza?
jeremysnowIII
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject:

Hiya Dancingbarry!

My dad FINALLY has FINALLY given me permission to join Lakersground!

Except, I can only post once a wekk. So this is my only post for this week.

I can't wait for your next report!!!! I aboslutely luv your column!

snow3
Alpha

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject:

^welcome JS3!

glad to see you here... please send our very best to your Dad!

I truly miss him.

Alph/Dave
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject:

One of the reasons I was less than thrilled with the phil extension is because he refuses to play to the teams strengths. 10 shots for a red hot bynum. 23 for an ice cold Kobe.
Mr. EiGhTy-OnE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
One of the reasons I was less than thrilled with the phil extension is because he refuses to play to the teams strengths. 10 shots for a red hot bynum. 23 for an ice cold Kobe.

seriously. this team never plays to its strengths or takes advantage of mismatches. we have to be one of the tallest/longest teams in the league, yet we settle for jumper after jumper.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject:

Mr. EiGhTy-OnE wrote:
ocho wrote:

seriously. this team never plays to its strengths or takes advantage of mismatches. we have to be one of the tallest/longest teams in the league, yet we settle for jumper after jumper.

yup. jumper after jumper. i mean bynums point came largely from people's mistakes. they make no effort to set him up or utilize him as a great post scorer...which he is. they're all guilty of their insane amount of jumpers, the biggest culprits being kobe and lamar. it's beyond me why lamar odom ever would shoot a jumper. he doesn't have a jumper. he should play around the rim where he can be effective. kobe just shoots horrendous shots. really poor shot selection. and it doesn't matter to him whether or not he's hot or cold.

why we didn't go to bynum over and over again last night is beyond me.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject:

jeremysnowIII wrote:
Hiya Dancingbarry!

My dad FINALLY has FINALLY given me permission to join Lakersground!

Except, I can only post once a wekk. So this is my only post for this week.

I can't wait for your next report!!!! I aboslutely luv your column!

snow3

Welcome aboard, JS3.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

why we didn't go to bynum over and over again last night is beyond me.

That's Phil's Bermuda Triangle at work.

They sure went to Bynum inside in the previous match up, don't know why he'd only get one post possession.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: