53%  [ 15 ]
Lost
46%
 46%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 28

mike_dee23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Pop-Culture Throw Down: X-Files vs. Lost

In the spirit of EW's Pop-Culture Throw Down (Read this article on ew.com), I have decided to have our little Lost vs. X-Files argument.

I will guess that not enough members on this board are old enough to remember the brilliance of The X-Files for 7 seasons. Each week felt like a self-contained movie and the mythology made shows like Alias and Lost possible.

However, I have to say that I think Lost is the superior show. This coming from a guy who cried when David Duchovny decided not to come back to the show except for a few cameos. Lost has superior acting - Matthew Fox and Michael Emerson are superb in my opinion - and the mythology of the show seems much more detailed than that of X-Files. Could Lost do stand-alone episodes? Hell yeah! The VW van episode stood on its own. Too bad people hated it because it didn't move along the story.

X-Files never had the problem of an impatient audience. Although most of its episodes were superb, some didn't work so well. However, Chris Carter didn't have to deal with "X-Files has jumped the shark" accusations during the show's run.

As for Lost, the creators need to deal and please fans by becoming more creative and pushing the boundaries of science fiction further than they have been pushed since The Twilight Zone. As much as I loved the X-Files, it never attempted and probably couldn't have pulled off "The Constant."

Both shows are great, but I think when Lost is over, it'll be a long, long time before anything as great as it is is on television again.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject:

Lost doesn't come close.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:42 am    Post subject:

Well X-files is finished more or so great finish or not. Lost hasn't given us all it has. However X-files is ahead for me and I don't expect Lost surpassing it. so many great times. The great theme. Im probably not as big into Lost as some of the more diehards but im loving it right now. Season 2 eh I didn't like it to much I expected more I guess it grew on me more, but I have really liked season 3. X-files is up there though.
kevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:03 am    Post subject:

X-Files was good up to about season 3 or so. Episodes like The Chinese Lottery and the Civil War Family were great stand alone and very creepy.

But then X-Files suffered the Twin Peaks flaw where a lot of viewers asked, "Where is this going?". Lost got out of that pretty quickly, especially with the current season.

Each series will have 7 seasons total and so we'll know in a few years as to which one is a better series. But Lost tells a story in a different manner so I don't think it will be fair to compare the two and now that we have the luxury of DVD sets, it make it that much more convenient to really "get" Lost.

So, if all things are equal, Lost has much hotter women and wins.

Also, Matthew Fox is not the acting anchor on the show. Ben of course, is. But I would also say Locke, Sayid, Jin and Hurley are done much better by the actors who portray them.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:34 am    Post subject:

X-Files for the simple fact that if I miss an episode, I was completely lost (no pun intended)....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:52 am    Post subject:

I didn't watch X-Files unless my ex-gf was watching it (she did show me the episode with the Peacock family, the ones who kept inbreeding over many many generations with Sheriff Andy Taylor and Deputy Barney in the same town).

And I haven't seen any episodes of Lost.

Am I banned from LG or from society now?

Billy_Blanko
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject:

I was never an avid X-Files watcher, but I watched enough to know that by the end it kind of lost its way. This being said I think it craps all over Lost, which I watch every week. I seriously find it to be one of the least well-planned/thought out shows made. It reminds me of the Matrix where it started out with an idea that had a lot of promise and then got totally undermined by rubbish writing and a lack of good ideas. Lost should have been over as a series at least a season ago.
Michlake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject:

I loved them both, but X-Files was terrble after Duchovny left.

Lost has an end date and seems to be getting better each season IMO. I see Lost as the better complete package in the end.
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject:

Season 1 for Lost was simply brilliant. But I must agree with Billy_Blanko and his comparison to The Matrix. I can't say that Lost will end up like the Matrix Revolutions but it is starting to feel more and more diluted.

X-Files was the same when it came to finding out about Samantha (Mulder's sister). The intrigue was there but after numerous seasons, you just kinda wanted that to end. The real reason why X-Files is superior to Lost (albeit unfairly) is that X-Files could easily transition to independent episodes. Who could forget "Jose Chung's From Outer Space" when Alex Tribec & Jesse the body Ventura co-starred? How can anyone not squirm in the final scene of the inbred family "Home" (as a previous poster alluded to). And let's not forget the episode that gave us all nightmares, "Tooms". Lost on the other hand needs to progress a single storyline along. This difference allowed X-Files to roam freely and delve into so many fascinating phenomena. In order for Lost to do the same, they would have to take an episode apply it to the story line and explain why they're introducing such a strange phenomena.

Bottom line: Lost has the superior long term storyline, but X-Files was independently brilliant!
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject:

One of the biggest problems I had with X-files is a lot of times they build up the suspense for the first 58 minutes of the show and everything gets resolved in the last 2. A real letdown on those stand alone episodes. Pretty much after the Alien conspiracy was revealed it went downhill because there really weren't any interesting mysteries.
The_Lakers_Show
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:26 pm    Post subject:

You know my answer. And I love X-Files, I watched it every week. But as long as Lost doesnt F up the last couple seasons like X-Files did then they should come up on top.
Go Trojans

Buck Foston
kevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:10 am    Post subject:

I went to the X-Files Paleyfest panel discussion last night. While most of the talk harkened back to how great it was to work on the show, there was a nice showing of the trailer.

Looks like X-Files 2, the movie, is going to be a great summer flick.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:17 am    Post subject:

Yahoo!

Quote:
LOS ANGELES - The truth about "The X-Files" sequel — some of it, anyway — is now out there.

"X-Files" creator Chris Carter, writer Frank Spotnitz and other crew members gathered Wednesday to discuss the TV series — and declassify some information about the upcoming film.

Quote:
"While this is not a mythology movie, it's true to everything that's come before," Spotnitz said at the William S. Paley Television Festival. "It's true to Mulder and Scully, who they are and where they would be this point in their lives and all of the experiences that they've had."

Quote:
Carter, who also directs the new movie, said it takes place in the present and uses a story envisioned when the series ended. While the show's sprawling alien mythology isn't part of the plot, Carter said there is a reference to Scully's seemingly supernatural son, William, who was born in season eight and later given up for adoption.

Quote:
The film is due out July 25.

Carter was tightlipped about the title.

"I can't tell you," he said. "I know what I want it to be, but Fox has some ideas of their own."

TooCool
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject:

I never got into X-Files but I'm totally into Lost. Then again, I was young when X-Filse was around...
kevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject:

encina1 wrote:
Yahoo!

Quote:
LOS ANGELES - The truth about "The X-Files" sequel — some of it, anyway — is now out there.

"X-Files" creator Chris Carter, writer Frank Spotnitz and other crew members gathered Wednesday to discuss the TV series — and declassify some information about the upcoming film.

Quote:
"While this is not a mythology movie, it's true to everything that's come before," Spotnitz said at the William S. Paley Television Festival. "It's true to Mulder and Scully, who they are and where they would be this point in their lives and all of the experiences that they've had."

Quote:
Carter, who also directs the new movie, said it takes place in the present and uses a story envisioned when the series ended. While the show's sprawling alien mythology isn't part of the plot, Carter said there is a reference to Scully's seemingly supernatural son, William, who was born in season eight and later given up for adoption.

Quote:
The film is due out July 25.

Carter was tightlipped about the title.

"I can't tell you," he said. "I know what I want it to be, but Fox has some ideas of their own."

I can't really sum up the trailer because it revealed no story. Mostly just flashes of scenes, the most revealing one showing Mulder meeting Scully and asking her to work on an investigation because he "needs her".

There was a old lady buried in ice and a gray hair old wise man type guiding Mulder.

The best was the rockin' intro though... which cut off to silence and then came in the classic theme whistling sound.

Which was another funny revelation. Chris called one of his right hand men into his office and played the song and like it because it sounded like a dude whistling while walking through a cemetery. And the dude thought Chris was nuts for choosing that song. He then called him back another time and said, in the title sequence, leave a few seconds to put "the truth is out there" at the end. And the dude said, "Uh.... Why???" He admitted he should have been fired.
Greg-Dawg®
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:27 am    Post subject:

Lost is great, but it goes on and on and on and on and on and on...

X-Files is classic.

I did vote for Lost because it's newer. Now if we're talking about Jericho, then THAT's the show to watch!
kevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:44 am    Post subject:

Greg-Dawg® wrote:
Lost is great, but it goes on and on and on and on and on and on...

X-Files is classic.

I did vote for Lost because it's newer. Now if we're talking about Jericho, then THAT's the show to watch!

Funny because Chris and the gang said last night that they liked that they weren't given an end date, so that they could just play the story out as they saw it. Unlike Lost which was pressuring the network to give it an end date to wrap up and tighten the story.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject:

ah haaaa, i just broke the tie . thats right baby. X-files got me thru a many of boring friday night back in the days, when the funds were low or when i was realy young and nothing was going on for the evening. i would turn that puppy on, turn off the lights. and watch scully and moulder. the names says it all. I still have yet to watch an entire episode of LOSt. i'm sorry i can't get into it. its a like an evil giligan's island. i dont get it.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: