Mihm's contract and options for the team
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carlos Lehder
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
s_habe wrote:
In case Bynum recovers, Mihm becomes expendable. Mbenga is cheaper and is pretty much all we need from a backup C behind Bynum and Gasol.

Package Mihm with Vlade or Luke for another defensive SF with solid 3 pt shot and picks. We need much better salary conditions next years with that growing youth of Lakers than we have now.

The question isn't whether Mihm is expendable (he is). The question is whether you want to deal with expiring contract for a player with a longer contract who will add to the future lux tax probleems. It woulnd't surpris me if they merely let his contract expire and cut salary rather than trade him

Unless you trade him for a young cheap raw prospect like Cedric Simmons
or a 2nd rd draft pick.
ShowtimeDynasty_24/7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject:

Yeah number one thing this summer is to make sure Sasha stays on this team- wow, never would imagined I would say that before this season...
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject:

Carlos Lehder wrote:
activeverb wrote:
s_habe wrote:
In case Bynum recovers, Mihm becomes expendable. Mbenga is cheaper and is pretty much all we need from a backup C behind Bynum and Gasol.

Package Mihm with Vlade or Luke for another defensive SF with solid 3 pt shot and picks. We need much better salary conditions next years with that growing youth of Lakers than we have now.

The question isn't whether Mihm is expendable (he is). The question is whether you want to deal with expiring contract for a player with a longer contract who will add to the future lux tax probleems. It woulnd't surpris me if they merely let his contract expire and cut salary rather than trade him

or a 2nd rd draft pick.

Mihm's value is as an expiring contract. Another team has no incentive to trade him for a cheap prospect or a second round pick; you only take him if it helps you get out from a contract you don't want.
Carlos Lehder
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:46 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Carlos Lehder wrote:
activeverb wrote:
s_habe wrote:

or a 2nd rd draft pick.

Mihm's value is as an expiring contract. Another team has no incentive to trade him for a cheap prospect or a second round pick; you only take him if it helps you get out from a contract you don't want.

Only in a package deal. He only makes 2 million.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:51 am    Post subject:

Carlos Lehder wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Carlos Lehder wrote:
activeverb wrote:
s_habe wrote:

or a 2nd rd draft pick.

Only in a package deal. He only makes 2 million.

Yup. More likely than not, the Lakers will just let his contract expire and not do anything with it.
Banzai
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject:

How could the Lakers get Joey Dorsey? Most likely all the good players will be taken
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
cccplus wrote:
trade him. i like him as a person but we gotta make room for the Machine

I, too, am anxious to see Sasha move to the Center position.

you thought his Sick Jumpers of Death were incredible? wait 'till you see his Drop Step of Fury in the post.
Carlos Lehder
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject:

Banzai wrote:
How could the Lakers get Joey Dorsey? Most likely all the good players will be taken

By making a trade. The T-Wolves are on record as saying they want to trade one of their 2nd rd picks for a 2nd rounder in 2009. They have the 1st and 4th picks of the 2nd rd right now. Lakers have 2 2nd rd picks in 2009. The Sonics have 6 picks in this draft. 2 1st rd picks and 4 in the 2nd. No way they use all of them.
mq404
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject:

Mark my words.. trade for Pryzibilla!
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject:

Carlos Lehder wrote:
Mihm to Chicago for Cedric Simmons. The Bulls were one of the teams Mihm worked out for last summer.

DONE
LakerJosh
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject:

haterman34 wrote:
It's not like there's too many options for an injury proned white stiff.

He wasn't really a stiff before the injury. How soon people forget. He was actually one of the most consistent players on our team and would make an excellent backup if healthy.
haterman34
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject:

LakerJosh wrote:
haterman34 wrote:
It's not like there's too many options for an injury proned white stiff.

He wasn't really a stiff before the injury. How soon people forget. He was actually one of the most consistent players on our team and would make an excellent backup if healthy.

On a team that was starting Smush Parker and Kwame Brown, it's not hard to be "above-average". MIhm is a nice guy, but should never have been a starter on any good team. The devastating injury was just a cruel end to a very mediocre career.
deuces
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject:

For all the smack you guys talk about Chris and his game, out of the entire carousel of Lakers players that have come and gone since the ending of the last dynasty, he's the one I appreciated the most and miss the most, besides Caron obviously.

I can barely remember the play and styles, strengths and weaknesses of all those others... Atkins, Kwame, Brian Cook, Mo, Shammond, McKie, Crit, and whoever else there was.

But I sure as hell remember the fact that he was the only player besides Kobe who you could count on, night in and night out at that point to play his game, either at home or on the road and gut it out.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject:

Actually this question comes to mind. Has any team ever made it to a conference finals when both their starting, & backup center never played in a game? Currently the Lakers have their starting power forward, and a backup power forward, manning the center position. I can't remember any team making it this far with their 1 & 2 missing the entire playoffs...
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Addicus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject:

You guys are stupid. Why would you trade a skilled, veteran 7 footer who fits into the team chemistry and has a desire to succeed for a draft pick. Plus he hasn't played for 2 years so his value is pretty lower.

We are thinnest at C. We basically have 2 PF's playing center right now. With Mihm picking up his option here is our lineup:

PG - Fisher, Farmar
SG - Kobe, Sasha, Newble, Karl
SF - Lamar, Vlad, Luke
PF - Pau, Ariza, Turiaf
C - Bynum, Mihm, Mbenga

The only way I see us actually keeping who we take in the 2nd round is if Newble, Karl or Mbenga are gone or he beats one of them out.

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/addicusbrown
deuces
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject:

psydesho wrote:

PG - Fisher, Farmar
SF - Lamar, Vlad, Luke
PF - Pau, Ariza, Turiaf
C - Bynum, Mihm, Mbenga

Hmm, not sure if I agree with this assessment of our roster next year. For starters, Ariza is not a PF by any means. And also, I think this brings up the great debate of... "What do you do with Bynum next year?" There are so many variables to consider its not even funny, for instance are we going to be able to keep Ronny and Sasha?

I'm not sure if a Bynum/Gasol/LO front court together will work, as much as I'd love it to. But LO still hasn't shown an effectiveness at rebounding from the SF spot in the triangle, and seems so comfortable in the PF spot, as does Pau in the pivot. By starting Bynum, we're losing Pau's passing out of the pivot, plus LO's rebounding, plus Vlad's spacing of the defense because he'll be on the bench.

So really, as I see it the best thing might be to bring Bynum off the bench, and if he's still around using Turiaf as the 3rd string center, thus once again pushing Mihm out of the rotation completely. Then again, if Turiaf bolts and we do decide to start Bynum/Gasol/LO, then yes I'd rather have Mihm (provided he shows he's still got it during training camp) than Mbenga.
LakersFTW
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject:

psydesho wrote:
You guys are stupid. Why would you trade a skilled, veteran 7 footer who fits into the team chemistry and has a desire to succeed for a draft pick. Plus he hasn't played for 2 years so his value is pretty lower.

We are thinnest at C. We basically have 2 PF's playing center right now. With Mihm picking up his option here is our lineup:

PG - Fisher, Farmar
SF - Lamar, Vlad, Luke
PF - Pau, Ariza, Turiaf
C - Bynum, Mihm, Mbenga

The only way I see us actually keeping who we take in the 2nd round is if Newble, Karl or Mbenga are gone or he beats one of them out.

Why wouldn't you? Mihm is done! Even if he recovers 100% (which isn't likely) he was still only above average center. So essentially you are trading Mihm, and get a banger like Dorsey, and you resign Mbenga for cheap!

Doresey + Mbenga > Mihm

I'm praying to god we get the Sonic's 2nd round 1st pick! Imagine Dorsey and Turiaf off the bench together! Plush we have what they want (2nd round 2009 pick) so why not?

We have no serious need, except maybe a PG that is good at defense (we have Sun Yue coming over) so we deep at PF/C after having Dorsey
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: