I hate Joel and Stu
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who would you rather have as a play by play announcer?
Paul Sunderland
37%
 37%  [ 22 ]
Joel Myers (The Robot)
62%
 62%  [ 37 ]
Total Votes : 59

KobeQuik24
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 9:30 am    Post subject: I hate Joel and Stu

Hey yall,

I believe that we as "Los Angelinos" have been incredibly fortunate to have some of the greatest play by play announcers in the history of sports: Bob Miller 25+yrs(Kings), Vin Scully 50+ yrs (Dodgers), Ralph Lawler 25+yrs (clips) and of course CHICKY BABY!!!

With that being said, what made these guys all great is there ability to be impartial regardless of the situation, especially Chick.

That's why I hate those laker butt kissers Joel and Stu. I swear if you actually listen to a game and notice everytime the lakers do something wrong (it's the refs fault) if it's a bad pass or missed shot (there was a foul) if kobe goes off and drops 100 points (stu wants to sleep with him hahaha)

To me they RUINED everything that chick stood for.

I was fortunate (or unfortunate depending on how you look at it) to have met and talked to chick when he was at Northridge Hospital (where I work) when he had his accident. I chatted with him for a few minutes about his health (he wasnt doing to good, obviously) then we talked about shaq and kobe (he hoped that they would stay together to continue the dynasty, sad huh?) He died a day later

Anyway, it reminds me of exactly how great he was every time I hear these two clowns drool all over the Lake-Lakes. I understand you are the laker broadcasters but quit with the man-crushes already. I actually liked PAUL SUNDERLAND but i heard he was always bumping heads with Stu so stu had him replaced with a small "yes man" that stu can push around.

Thank god the playoffs are on ESPN or TNT because I can actually listen to some impartial play by play. You guys might disagree with me, but thats just how I feel.

Chick we love and miss you very much.
24KaratGold
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 9:34 am    Post subject:

Why Stu? I get that some people don't like Joel but Stu is very knowledgeable and you can learn a lot from him. Personally, I think both guys are great.
edill
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject:

Stu and Joel can be impartial at times. Several times last night I heard Stu remarking on how our defense wasn't set, people's heads weren't in the game, or that was a bad call/no call that went in the favor of the Lakers etc..

In my opinion, the two can be rather objective, but they're still the lakers' announcers, and I prefer to watch a pair that roots for the Lakers over pure impartiality any day
ctb619
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: I hate Joel and Stu

KobeQuik24 wrote:

Exaggerate much? I disagree vehemently with just about everything you said. While I don't think Myers is the best option, I love Stu, and I still prefer the Lakers telecast over TNT and especially ESPN/ABC.
KobeQuik24
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject:

like i said not many will agree but i understand. As long as the lake-lakes win couldnt care less whos announcing.
edill
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject:

especially because lakers telecast don't experiment with strange camera angles. Stick to the side by side tnt/abc/espn. Some of them are so bad, and I'm waiting for those networks to show us what basketball would look like while showed upside down.
cbear
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject:

I've posted this before, but what I don't like about Stu is his almost obsessive need to be contrary with Joel.

And it's not as if Joel is wrong in what he says. Stu just has to say something contradictory. His favorite sayings:

Not only that.....

Nevermind that, what about......

Forget the......what about the.......

This would be typical Stu:

Kobe makes a great pass to Pau. Joel says "great pass by Kobe." Stu will retort, "Forget the pass.....what about that catch."

or....

Kobe makes a great pass to Pau. Joel says "great catch by Pau." Stu will retort, "Forget the catch.....what about that pass."

I don't know if the guy has a complex, just can't stand to see Joel make a good point or what, but he can't seem to help himself.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject:

God, not another thread about the announcers

!...
Lakers Dynasty 2000
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject:

As a video maker - I absolutley prefer Joel and Stu over the others.

Halran is really good though...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Magics80sLakersGOAT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: I hate Joel and Stu

[DELETED]

If all we need is 10/10 at C, we don't even need bynum cos Mihm can pull that down.

VOTEKobe2008
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:07 am    Post subject:

cbear wrote:
I've posted this before, but what I don't like about Stu is his almost obsessive need to be contrary with Joel.

And it's not as if Joel is wrong in what he says. Stu just has to say something contradictory. His favorite sayings:

Not only that.....

Kobe makes a great pass to Pau. Joel says "great pass by Kobe." Stu will retort, "Forget the pass.....what about that catch."

or....

Kobe makes a great pass to Pau. Joel says "great catch by Pau." Stu will retort, "Forget the catch.....what about that pass."

I don't know if the guy has a complex, just can't stand to see Joel make a good point or what, but he can't seem to help himself.

Exactly. Kobemakes a fadeaway. What a jumper by Kobe. Stu" its not the jumper, its the foot work"

My God. Stop being so technical and complment eachother. No hokes. He has no sense of humor. He will make a good assistant coach.
Magics80sLakersGOAT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject:

cbear wrote:

Not only that.....

or....

It's just his style, giving credit to all on a great play, I like stu, he's a homer, but so am I. None better in the game as far as I',m concerned when it comes to color men.

If all we need is 10/10 at C, we don't even need bynum cos Mihm can pull that down.

jaylen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject:

cbear wrote:

Not only that.....

or....

I literally bust out laughing at this. Stu does do that forget the pass what about the catch stuff an awful lot, I have no real problem with Stu except his syrupy praise of everything Bynum even last season when he was struggling. He wouldn't just say Bynum is playing very poorly he would always praise any little mundane thing he did.

He'd say wow see the way Bynum caught his balance and avoided falling down thats great athleticism from the young big fella. And Bynum would be doing nothing but walking back to the huddle.

But I've come to accept the homerism.

They aren't worse than the announcers I hate worse in the world watching the nba package from Portland. Those clowns are terrible they hate the Lakers I can't stand listening to those bums.
cbear
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject:

VOTEKobe2008 wrote:
cbear wrote:

Not only that.....

or....

Exactly. Kobemakes a fadeaway. What a jumper by Kobe. Stu" its not the jumper, its the foot work"

My God. Stop being so technical and complment eachother. No hokes. He has no sense of humor. He will make a good assistant coach.

That's the thing. He doesn't have to be so contradictory. Why not say instead, "yeah great jumper. His footword was amazing."
cbear
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject:

Magics80sLakersGOAT wrote:
cbear wrote:

Not only that.....

or....

It's just his style, giving credit to all on a great play, I like stu, he's a homer, but so am I. None better in the game as far as I',m concerned when it comes to color men.

Could be. Maybe that's just how he gathers his thoughts. If he could get around that and also be a touch more objective, I would have no problem with him. He does have many good points.
cbear
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject:

jaylen wrote:

He'd say wow see the way Bynum caught his balance and avoided falling down thats great athleticism from the young big fella. And Bynum would be doing nothing but walking back to the huddle.

VujacicFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject:

They're the best play by play announcing team in the game right now. Who better than Joel and Stu?

By the way OP, Stu and Joel are probably the most unbiased team announcers. Stu always faults the players when they screw up and rarely blame the refs. I don't see where you get the blame the ref thing from, they do crack the occasional ref joke though.
JD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject:

Who/what the Hell are the "lake-lakes"? And who thought that was/is a clever/hip/cool nickname to use?
D-Dogg
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject:

I watch all the Laker games on League Pass...so I see all the other team's announcers.

The vast majority suck...bad.

Joel and Stu are far more objective than most of the blatant homers out there...Stu more than Joel.
waterkewld
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject:

Stu is the best in the Nba...com on you cant hate on stu and joel is not that bad either his not like other announcers for other teams which are all homers...
TheGOATWears#24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: I hate Joel and Stu

ctb619 wrote:
KobeQuik24 wrote:

Exaggerate much? I disagree vehemently with just about everything you said. While I don't think Myers is the best option, I love Stu, and I still prefer the Lakers telecast over TNT and especially ESPN/ABC.

+1 right on the money. I was watching the Celtics/Cavs game and then realized I needed to flip to KCAL HD. I do watch TNT for their halftime show though
"Love me or hate me; it's one or the other. Always has been. Hate my game, my swagger. Hate my fadeaway, my hunger. Hate that I'm a veteran. A champion. Hate that. Hate it with all your heart. And hate that I'm loved for the exact same reasons."
Jeffs
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject:

I like Stu.

Not a big fan of Joel.

I feel like I just watched someone TRULY give 100%. Not the BS I'm-gonna-give-a-110%-just-like-everyone-else-says platitudes, but someone that went until he just....broke. - GT
Tony Montana
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject:

I wonder how old the newbie original poster is...

Does he/she not realize the Stu was Chick's color commentator for years, and Chick had the utmost respect for him?

That post was a heck of a way to introduce yourself to the board
revgen
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject:

I can't stand the national broadcasts. They keep talking about other things other than the game itself. Sometimes not even calling the action or being late calling the action. The worst was Mike Tirico talking about "Kyle and Vannessa" from some childrens TV show. Like I really care :rolleyes: Joel and Stu always stick to the action.
STiG909
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 11:36 am    Post subject:

I've never fallen asleep through more Laker games since the short time span Paul was here.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: