***LAKERS @ HORNETS Game Thread 11/12***
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 56, 57, 58  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faze
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject:

Iwatch4Kobe wrote:
If they gel, and Tmac plays like franchise(BIG IF).

wrong team
Jeffs
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject:

Iwatch4Kobe wrote:

T-Mac's on the Hornets now?

Rockets were blown out by the Lakers. I doubt people will be saying that Houston is better than LA anytime soon. LA will have to shut up Wilbon and the Hornets' bandwagon tonight.

I feel like I just watched someone TRULY give 100%. Not the BS I'm-gonna-give-a-110%-just-like-everyone-else-says platitudes, but someone that went until he just....broke. - GT

Last edited by Jeffs on Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject:

Wilbon knows as much about basketball as he does about combing his hair.

Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject:

Iwatch4Kobe wrote:

ROFL
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject:

Wilbon needs to be replaced on PTI. I understand Laker hate, but he is ridiculous year after year.
Sportsmuze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject:

rofl my bad, hornets//rockets same thing.

stepping stones to championship.
joshua1516
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject:

We are better offensively, can go inside, outside, still have Kobe who no one on their team can guard, now they have Posey but Boston had a good team defense. Way better defensively than them, will kill them on the glass, they have no size, and Lakers bench kills theirs.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject:

I just don't understand his reason for saying that. If not better? Lakers right now are the best defensive team early in the season. We're winning by an avg of 20ppg and our offense isn't even there yet.
DK
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject:

deadspin.com/5015510/pardon-the-interruptionin-my-pants

That's all I gotta say. Oh, may be NSFW.
JustSomeJoe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject:

Hornets are overrated!

Take Chandler out, and they're midgets.

Lakers strategy against N.O. is simple: go at Chandler and put him in jeopardy, control the boards, go at Chandler and put him in jeopardy, control the boards, go at Chandler, control the boards.

Sit Chandler on the bench for any extended time and the paint will become a nightmare for New Orleans.

Oh ya... Wilbon is an idiot, and I smell blowout!
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject:

I wouldn't be surprised to see Kobe go into Mamba mode tonight especially if the team starts out slow. We may need him to jumpstart the 1st unit, and I'm sure that Kobe is going to want revenge against Posey, who got too much credit for slowing Kobe down in the Finals.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject:

StuLantz#1 wrote
Quote:
I'm curious if we're even going to make an attempt to play the new defense tonight. There's no way we can leave their shooters--you can't move away from Peja or Posey (who's ridiculous from behind the arc this year)--which means you can't form that wall you'd otherwise want to to prevent Paul from penetrating. That "make Paul beat you" strategy would force us to discard the new gameplan--which is too bad because it's in place to take out stars like him. But I agree that any previous success we've ever had against them depends on limiting their other guys. It will also be interesting to see how Kobe does against Posey--in the past the fact the Hornets had no one to guard Kobe was another one of our major advantages.
Kobe can guard Godzilla. Let Chris drive the lane. Andrew and Pau will make his points difficult. Don't just let him get his, make them tough. You don't stop Chris, you just slow him down. Stop Posey and Peja those are the killers hiding in the shadows. If Phil gives Jordan/Trevor a chance they may be up to giving them a run for their money. The last three have been great games but I think tonight's will be the topper. It's time for the Lakers to get off to a fast start for a change.
LAKERS WIN, LAKERS WIN!!!!

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
B_Rabbit1212
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject:

this ones gunna be close.

bad guys: 68
good guys: 69
joshua1516
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject:

So, those with KCAL do you like that the game isn't on Tape Delay?
I like it cause I always would cheat and check ESPN and sometimes get disappointed
AIRiza Fan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject:

Sister Golden Hair
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject:

They key, obviously, is Paul. Make him a scorer, not a distributor. Fish and Farmar have to do a good job of making Paul work for everything he gets and turn him into a finisher. Andrew has to stay home on Chandler, else Paul will alley-oop the Lakers to death. Similarly, Pau has to keep a body on West for similar reasons. If I'm Phil, I use my bench freely, especially in the back-court to throw as many different looks at Paul as I can. I keep Ariza in reserve for the fourth to throw his length and quicks at Paul as a real change of pace.

Also, whoever does guard Paul, you aren't going to steal the ball from him, so you don't need to gamble. He will get around you if you are backing up, so you have to at least be determined and take away his right hand and shade him to his left, making him more of a pull-up jumpshooter.

Also, be conscious of taking away his passing lanes. I don't mean gambling for steals on his passes. I mean being aware that Paul (like Nash) relies on his ability to exploit passing lanes. What this means for the entire defense is that have their arms/hands up the whole game simply to close down the passing angles. This also means being willing to reach down and even use one's feet to deflect bounce passes.

Paul loves to throw alley-oops to his bigs (like Dre Miller) so you can't play off of him too much. Keep hands up in front of him. If he gets around you, so be it, but make him be the finisher, rather than have him drop off a dime to a big for an and-one.

NO is the last team you want to collapse around the PG on, because they have numerous shooters (Peja, etc.) who will kill you if left open. Fish, Farmar, Sasha, and even Ariza will have to sell out on D, especially, to make Paul work.

On the other end, Fish, in particular, should use his muscle on Paul and be aggressive on O when the opportunity presents himself. Farmar should also be aggressive. Paul also loves to gamble for steals, so a lot of ball/pass fakes will get him leaning the wrong way for back-door cuts, etc.

Use his strengths against him.

SGH
Senor Mortgage
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject:

I thought the Dallas game was a huge trap game and was right. I'm thinking an easy win tonight so lets hope I'm two for two. As good as they are, Mavs killed us on transition and the Hornets despite their awesome PG are not a real transition/fast team. Our size kills them.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject:

I expect Farmar to get plenty of minutes. The strong side zone should be effective: Man up on Paul, force him baseline. Bring the 4 over to trap him there. Play the passing lanes for steals, and keep Bynum home on Chandler.
HasBeenWarned
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
This will be our toughest game in maybe this entire month. Not because New Orleans is that good of a team, but because we are talking about the first ROAD back to back of the season, and this is the first time we're playing an elite team on the 2nd night of a B2B, on the road.

Also, last night's game was very tough, emotional and had to take a lot of out the guys.

Would love a win, but my expectations aren't great for this one.

Couple of things to watch out for. LA is playing a strong side zone and most teams have not made them pay with their shooting.

However, New Orleans has those sort of shooters, to consistently make LA pay for zoning one side of the court. Peja, Posey and Mo Pete are all good to great 3 point shooters.

Not sure if LA should play too much zone against them. They need to probably stick more to man D, and allow Paul to be a big scorer.

Bynum is critical in this battle. Bynum's got to find that balance of anchoring and keeping a body on Tyson. Pau and LO have to be aware of when Bynum goes to stop Paul's penetration, they can not ball watch or let Tyson get the 2nd chances, because he'll kill you that way.

Keys

On D
- Make Paul a scorer, not a facilitator.
- Keep Tyson away from 2nd chances.
- Limit open 3's for Peja/Posey/Peterson.

Offensively, they haven't really had a great game start to finish all year. They haven't had a good start by the 1st unit in the last 5 games. Last night, starters didn't play well on O at all. We need something from them as a whole (not just Kobe and Pau) tonight IMO.

Lakers can do this, but they'll need to play better than last night. Dallas is not anywhere near as tough as New Orleans. Can't afford another poor 1st unit showing.

Sweet and simple breakdown, I think because of our depth we will be able to pull off the "Road Back to Back" only cuz it is the beginning of the season (not as tired as in mid-season) and our starters don't play as many minutes as usual... but the 2nd unit (and boy do I love to say 2nd unit these days) plays more minutes, thus, is in more rhythm than a usual NBA 2nd unit... not to mention we seem to get the spark when the 2nd unit comes in in almost every game this season; LO and Farmar run the guys well enough, barring the LO TO's..

My thots
HasBeenWarned
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject:

AIRiza Fan wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_P-Sw9RPllA

this has been my cell phone video wallpaper for the past year
idealmind
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject:

Some of you are missing a Huge Points here:

1. As great as CP3 is, this hornet team will only go as far as D. West will take them. This team relies heavily on him to make a good deal of his shots, and last year he did just that.

1A. Im sure if you take a look at the numbers when the hornets lost, D. west had a bad game.

2. D. West will have a MUCH taller guy guarding him in the post, to stick a very LONG arm in his face while he shoots those annoying 17-18 foot jumpers that always seem to fall.

3. The lakers altered 1-3-1 zone that they run, will bother CP3's penetrate and dish, you will see him shoot more jumpers tonight.

Now with that said, if the Hornets win tonight, it will be because they where HOT from behind the 3 point line. They dont have an answer in the post period. This is not the Laker team of last year, we play D now, I dont see us loosing this game unless the hornets are HOT from 3.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject:

idealmind wrote:
Some of you are missing a Huge Points here:

1. As great as CP3 is, this hornet team will only go as far as D. West will take them. This team relies heavily on him to make a good deal of his shots, and last year he did just that.

1A. Im sure if you take a look at the numbers when the hornets lost, D. west had a bad game.

2. D. West will have a MUCH taller guy guarding him in the post, to stick a very LONG arm in his face while he shoots those annoying 17-18 foot jumpers that always seem to fall.

3. The lakers altered 1-3-1 zone that they run, will bother CP3's penetrate and dish, you will see him shoot more jumpers tonight.

Now with that said, if the Hornets win tonight, it will be because they where HOT from behind the 3 point line. They dont have an answer in the post period. This is not the Laker team of last year, we play D now, I dont see us loosing this game unless the hornets are HOT from 3.

Good analysis. Guarding West won't be that much different from guarding Dirk except for the fact that West has less range. I think Pau's length is going to bother those midrange Js, and I'll be very surprised if NO decides to try to post up West with Pau guarding him. If West is neutralized, then NO has no chance of beating the Lakers. Right now, Paul and West are the only consistent threats that NO has offensively. Peja has been shooting 3s well, but his overall FG% is low. Also, even though West is averaging 19 ppg, his shooting % and rebounding numbers are down.
Tanlentueux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject:

I don't see us winning this game. I hope we will but... second day in back to back game in New Orleans... I don't see a W in there.
drzucchini
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject:

fifth_rune wrote:
deadspin.com/5015510/pardon-the-interruptionin-my-pants

That's all I gotta say. Oh, may be NSFW.

Second picture: I'm pretty sure that's a dude.
AIRiza Fan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject:

HasBeenWarned wrote:
AIRiza Fan wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_P-Sw9RPllA

this has been my cell phone video wallpaper for the past year

Gotta luv Joel & Stu's commentaries... "double clutch reverse" "that was NOICE!"
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Game Updates All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 56, 57, 58  Next
Page 3 of 58
Jump to: