CELTICS -at- LAKERS - 12/25 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IPK
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject:

Tony Almeida wrote:
Excellent recap, DB.

This game from the start had a playoff/NBA Finals atmosphere to it. A lot of hype, I think it's safe to say, the game lived up to it.

Many positives, but something in particular concerned me.

Kobe was shredding that vaunted Celtics defense almost the entire game (without getting any calls either). For much of the game, I felt that Kobe had finally figured out the defense that gave him so many problems during the Finals. Thought that the difference was of course the Laker lineup, the Celtics D didn't seem quite as uncrackable this time around. But in the 4th, the Celtics went with tough ball denial and often when he finally got it, went to hard doubles.

My concern during the 4th was the inability to get him the ball in the mid to high post. It was only after Kobe went out to the three point line did he get the ball. Good ball denial, yes, but this was another instance where I felt the shaky post entry passing hurt the Lakers.

As far as the individual players --

Kobe: Impact beyond the numbers. Skying for rebounds, tapping out loose balls, working the post, getting to the basket, dishing to teammates, patented key fadeaway in the clutch, and disrupted the Celtics offense. He was locked in today. You know he's been pissed off about the loss to the Celtics for six months now. Brought that intensity and had a vintage Kobe game.

Pau: Forgettable performance on both ends for the first three quarters, but the Spaniard arrived when it mattered. Really hope that much of his struggle can be attributed to a mental block, and he gets it together in the future matchup(s).

Bynum: Another candidate for impact beyond the numbers. Big difference between Bynum anchoring the paint and Gasol trying to anchor the paint. I like how he played on the defensive end towards the end of the 4th, should help him in the trust department with Phil.

Lamar: "NO, NO, NO, YES!" "Don't do it, not again, don't push your luck, BANG!" That about summed up my thought process on those two huge threes. Good to see he had the confidence to take AND make them. More importantly, he played well on the defensive end.

Luke: See: Lamar. Seriously, after that three point airball that I thought was going to injure someone in the second row, I was shocked to see him hit his other two three point attempts. A rather steady game from Luke.

Ariza: He just makes plays. I've often noted how I like how Ariza plays 100 MPH. Sometimes, gets him on trouble, both ends. Other times, he ends up making a momentum shifting play. Tonight was the latter.

Sasha: I'm gonna put it out there, if you like it, you can take it, if you don't, send it right back. The Machine likes to shoot. Anyways, he finished one of the plays of the year. And he always is good for a quote, e.g. "I don't like them at all".

Anyways, loved the intensity of this game. Right from the tip, you could tell the Lakers wanted this one real bad. Defense was good for the most part. Rotations and man D were better, but transition D still an issue, also thought the interior defense wasn't focused early on. Rebounding could also see some improvement as I felt the Celtics outworked the Lakers on the glass today. Still, overall, great game.

Awesome break down TA. So many good points I didn't want to break it into little pieces or sections. Your journalism skills are off the charts!
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject:

Cool recap and like the smilies, DB.

This game all but assured me one one thing.

The reason Phil and Rambis came up with the plan they did, which was to start Bynum (and bring LO off the bench) for Phil, and play a strong side zone D for Rambis, is specifically designed to combat Boston.

Bynum-Gasol match up better with Garnett-Perkins. LO improves our 2nd unit battles against their 2nd unit bigs.

The defense, well with Rondo's suspect jumpshot, Perkins basically only having a low post finishing game, the Lakers can leave two players there and zone without as much of a threat to pay for it.

Not saying it's enough, but it does seem the plan while having some serious hitches against teams that have 3 point shooting points and 3 point shooting bigs ... at least against Boston it seems like a very good plan.

I still worry about this plan against teams that have quality shooting bigs, as well as quality shooting point guards. Those teams can break this sort of defense (Orlando, Detroit come to mind in the East, maybe even Cleveland).

We definitely match up better against Boston, but what if Boston falters before the Finals? Hopefully LA has a second scheme and plan worked out by playoffs. It's not only about Boston, even though they are certainly the biggest threat out there. The way teams like Cleveland, Orlando and even Atlanta can play (and are made up) if they come out of the east, LA might have some big fits. Good news is in the west, LA does seem to be that much better than everyone. SA is the only team I feel could still give LA some trouble because of their experience, bigs that can shoot, floor spacing and great guard play.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject:

The only schemes the Lakers should be worried about is Boston and Cleveland.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject:

AllorNothing wrote:

Neither Boston (KG/Perkins) nor Cleveland (Ilgauskus/Gasol) have two big men in their front courts known for their shooting acumen. Against both teams, we should be able to keep an anchor in the paint at all times.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
mike_dee23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject:

DB, every player should've had a dancing tomato. Every Laker played Tomatoee in one way or another today. Even the DNPs cheered really hard.
BigEvil
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject:

The Lakers never folded. They never gave up. Every time the C's wratched things up, they did them one better.

In the end you could see the life bleed out of the C's save Garnett (to his credit). I think the C's learned something today, this isn't the same Lakers they punked in the Finals.

Consider that Pau wasn't hitting his money shots.

Consider the Fish was off.

Consider this game was all C's basketball.

They still lost. One game, yes, now everything is different for both teams.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:05 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
L7 - You may have seen it, but I said it elsewhere at the time that I thought they needed to run the two-man game to set up their other bigman. We weren't getting into the paint and weren't getting easy looks. But if we ran the two-man sequence, the Celtics would rotate to help on Kobe and a big...that would allow our other big to find some good looks.

At the end, we went to Pau for those. But earlier, we could have ran a Kobe/Pau two-man to get some above the rim action for Bynum if we wanted. We ended up springing it on them to take the win.

Exactly. Bynum makes a huge difference. Last year they put Perkins on Pau, who is strong enough to deny him position, and KG on LO. They then sagged KG todouble pau or Kobe when they got the ball. With Bynum in, neither KG nor Perkins can double without penalty, and neither can stop our bigs without help. We simply have to go with the two man game, Kobe and either of the bigs. If they don't help, we score. If they help, we dump it off to the other big. They are going to have to collapse their zone to stop this, and leave the other guys wide open.

Last edited by Omar Little on Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:14 am    Post subject:

thanks, DB, more than ever...
i was delighted by the intensity of this team, everyone gave something important, some spark, some fire... but my impression is that we played too much their game... when they crowded kobe, we didn't know what to do... they scored too much in the paint... and i still don't see any chemistry between gasol and bynum, their defensive rotations are ugly... but what's really encouraging is that a soft team won with hustle, finding inner fire at the right moment...
Mation
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:26 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB! Really appreciate this, especially on such a special day!

Great, great intro. Glad that stench is out of Staples.

Loved the write-up on Ariza and Bynum. Their impact is so tremendous from a defensive pov compared to last year. It has a trickle down effect to all the other players and the overall team defense. Great to see Bynum rip that rebound over the head of perkins or kg to give us another possession. Hopefully he's earning the trust from PJ to get those final minutes.

Kobe and Gasol just so clutch. From a mental standpoint, Pau should understand how dominant he can be. How much support he has around him. He's not on a Grizzly island no more.

Lamar, Luke and Vujacic contributed so much too. Glad to see them shine when the spotlight is the brightest it has ever been this season.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:48 am    Post subject:

DB - Great Recap. Of course, this is redundant because you are always great.

Questions:
Magic stated on ESPN that the Lakers, Cavaliers and others are looking up to the Celtics - what are your thoughts on this?

Mark Jackson stated that the Cavs are better than the Celtics - hard to believe this?

Mychal Thompson stated that NBA teams fear and/or look forward with greater interest to playing the Lakers - as opposed to the Celtics - hence playing a contributing factor on why the Lakers are not blowing teams off like the Celtics/Cavs (IMO - the Lakers' intensity is also another major factor)?
MedRomLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:00 am    Post subject:

Great cap DB sick intro man, scene reminds me of intro to SF2:animated movie , great game and great win, hopefully it reminds this team the of the consistent mentality they need to win a championship.

4/30/14 the day the ant left the building!!!!!!
he_is_the_one
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:25 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB, great round up!

This is how all Laker games should be, play hard, make it entertaining and grab the win.
limchrc
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:31 am    Post subject:

Thanks.
Rick12322
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:01 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the great recap DB. I can't think of a better way to cap off my Christmas day. The Lakers won on a day when their team shooting wasn't exactly all that hot. Kobe's offense was flowing beautifully in the flow of the game, 1st half. Pau was choking, but got over it just in time to bring home the victory. Let's hope that was just an aberration and not a sign of things to come in the real dance.

Did you see Bynum's 1st shot attempt in the lane? He missed it but he got it off easily over Perkins. Drew has the skill to literally hit those all day over him and it's a shame he isn't given more opportunities to build upon those skills. We'd be unstoppable if he was. I just can't understand why so many players on our team are given a green light to miss over 50% of their shots, and Bynum is seemingly one, or two and done in terms of working his own offense. We've all seen glimpses of what's just sitting inside of him, why repress that development?

Anyway, great game !
Mr. EiGhTy-OnE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:52 am    Post subject:

Tony Almeida wrote:

Lamar: "NO, NO, NO, YES!" "Don't do it, not again, don't push your luck, BANG!" That about summed up my thought process on those two huge threes.

sums it up for me too
delaluz
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject:

Here's some comments on Drew based on yesterday:
If he can tune up his defensive footwork, avoid silly fouls, and work hard on the boards he will make a tremendous difference against any team.

All we really need him to do on offense is make to make the easy ones and try to get rebounds.

The only offensive move Drew should work on is the 12-15 foot facing the basket shot that he hit yesterday. If he can hit that shot with any consistency his defenders will have to move out on him and then he can take two steps and dunk. Big guys that can hit this shot don't get beat up and last much longer than the back to the basket guys like Shaq.

Great effort by the Lakers and a great win!!

Berto
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the recap DB! Fantastic intro; the green stench!

I had to watch the game again last night, late. Gasol was beyond stellar in Q4. The thing I noticed most was he was seething mad. He did an impressive job in crunch time of showing a couple celts what it's like to be on the receiving end of some surprisingly good hits, considering he's supposed to be a softie, and he did so without losing control of his game. Bynum held Perkins at bay, and that made a huge difference in what Gasol could do. I believe KG, Pierce and Rondo all left the building a little more sore than when they arrived.

And kudos to Kobe for leadership out there; drawing the defense, driving, knowing who to trust and when.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject:

Phil specifically referenced Drew's improvement defensively as the game wore on. That's what he's been looking for, and that's why Drew got the late game minutes.

The offensive opportunities will continue to increase. If he does what the team needs defensively, the sky's the limit for him and our team.
No. 17
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject:

We played like a team that scents the blood of the championship, like a team that wants it bad, like a team that can feel the swagger returning, like a team that has seen off a slip in form, like a team that knows it can do something great this season, like a team of players with an overwhelming hunger to be champions.

Sending out a message loud and clear.
Rick12322
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject:

One and done will not get it done.
Mr. EiGhTy-OnE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
AllorNothing wrote:

Neither Boston (KG/Perkins) nor Cleveland (Ilgauskus/Gasol)

Im assuming you meant Varejao? unless there's a third Gasol brother I dont know about.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject:

Mr. EiGhTy-OnE wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
AllorNothing wrote:

Im assuming you meant Varejao? unless there's a third Gasol brother I dont know about.

lol, I meant Wallace, not Gasol... but Varejao as well. With those respective teams, Bynum can stay home while guarding Perkins or Wallace/Varejao.

In the West, Houston can give us some problems because Bynum can't really handle Yao's size yet while both Scola and Yao can step out for long jumpers. However, neither is a 3pt threat so that helps a bit... as does the fact Houston will likely never gell or be healthy enough to compete.

San Antonio can also cause us some problems because they use Matt Bonner at the PF. Being that Duncan can shoot jumpers as well, that might pull out both Bynum and Gasol. IMO, San Antonio is really the only team in the West that has any chance of beating us in the playoffs... IF they are completely healthy.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
Mr. EiGhTy-OnE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject:

on a small side note:

with his history of foot/ankle problems, Im not sure I like Ariza wearing Kobe's new low-tops.
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject:

Proud of our boys.
sandruska
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject:

Mr. EiGhTy-OnE wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
AllorNothing wrote:

Actually there's a third Gasol brother but he's 15 years old and play in memphis high school It seems he'll be taller than Marc and Pau
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: