CAVS -at- LAKERS - 1/19 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigE32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:13 am    Post subject:

Thanks, DB. Very nice win. We punished them down low and that was great to see. Sasha came in and was definitely feeling it from the moment he came on the court. I thought AB was a little more active on both ends of the floor which was nice to see. What can you say about Kobe that hasn't already been said? It was good to get the taste out of our mouths from the last two games.
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:51 am    Post subject:

DB

Someone send a note to the TNT crew that it's not "the self proclaimed Machine" it's "the Machine".
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:56 am    Post subject:

Finally some defense.

We kept them outside all game long - minus that stretch where Varejao and Lebron had all those easy looks inside late in the 4th - which was the key in beating them.

Most of the time teams will not beat you shooting from outside all game long. They have to change it up from outside to inside

One of the major keys overlooked was the Cavs missing Z. This isn't really a fair assesment of whether the Lakers are better than the Cavs. If you look at Z, and what he brings to that team, it changes a lot for us. The Lakers would not have gotten as many easy baskets from Bynum or Pau whenever a smaller guy was on them. They wouldn't have dominated the paint matchup. Second, it gives the Cavs a low post option, something they lacked the whole game. Third, Andrew won't be anchoring anywhere near as effectively with Z out there. Z can knock down the J or get post position. Both things will make Andrew far less less attentive toward protecting the basket.

Quality defense, but I want to see us beat the Cavs with their lone post presence. It wasn't really a fair contest on either end. We were without a healthy Kobe and they lacked big Z.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:41 am    Post subject:

Big time game for the Non-Kobe's. Pau and Bynum played "big", using their size and skills with deadly precision. Sasha was a-blazing, LO was very aggressive (almost too much at certain points, but better more than less), and Ariza was cobra-ing.

However, the guy that set the tone is the guy who laid it all out there, playing in pain. Kobe's manic energy in the way he was denying LBJ, hawking LBJ and setting up his mates tired me out just watching him. If your team leader is putting out that kind of effort, everyone else has gotta dig deep as well. Most importantly, the Lakers hit shots. 52% against one of the best defensive teams in the league. That made Kobe not have to carry the offensive load so much that he could really go all out on the D end.
BigEvil
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject:

You know what made me smile? The tough edge the Lakers played with.

I mean it was mostly subtle but if you look back, you can see it. The Lakers put shoulders into Cavs' jerseys. They gave them little shots as they walked passed them on dead balls. They gave hard fouls. Hell I even caught Pau glaring in disgust at the opposing "big men" when he monster dunked on them.

And of course, LeBron got totally abused all night in that old school way harkening to an era when men were men and shorts were tight enough to lower sperm count.
Bench
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:59 pm    Post subject:

Thanks, DB! Great recap as usual! LOL at note to LeBron comment. I noticed Sasha plays well whenever he's pissed, gets choked, blocked, elbowed etc.

Great, great game!
IPK
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:48 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Finally some defense.

We kept them outside all game long - minus that stretch where Varejao and Lebron had all those easy looks inside late in the 4th - which was the key in beating them.

Most of the time teams will not beat you shooting from outside all game long. They have to change it up from outside to inside

One of the major keys overlooked was the Cavs missing Z. This isn't really a fair assesment of whether the Lakers are better than the Cavs. If you look at Z, and what he brings to that team, it changes a lot for us. The Lakers would not have gotten as many easy baskets from Bynum or Pau whenever a smaller guy was on them. They wouldn't have dominated the paint matchup. Second, it gives the Cavs a low post option, something they lacked the whole game. Third, Andrew won't be anchoring anywhere near as effectively with Z out there. Z can knock down the J or get post position. Both things will make Andrew far less less attentive toward protecting the basket.

Quality defense, but I want to see us beat the Cavs with their lone post presence. It wasn't really a fair contest on either end. We were without a healthy Kobe and they lacked big Z.

Great post. I'd like to add that Delonte West is also huge contributor off the bench for the Cavs. They missed him as well last night. Before he injured his wrist (non-shooting hand I believe) he was putting up some nice numbers with Cleveland's 2nd unit.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:34 pm    Post subject:

Ilgauskas was a bigger factor than Delonte West. He's their equalvent to "Pau Gasol". Lakers were missing Farmar and Walton, both of whom could start for this team. But great job acknowledging their absence Flo'z. Just happy we got the win, the next one will be ten times harder, when we play Boston and Cleveland on the road. (with "suspect" officiating)
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:55 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
One of the major keys overlooked was the Cavs missing Z.

Wasn't overlooked in my write-up.

Quote:

Agree. They'll be tougher with him. Kobe's perimeter game, hopefully, will also be looking better then.

Also, I'm curious to see how much they will explore LeBron in the post next time.
10scott10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:58 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
One of the major keys overlooked was the Cavs missing Z.

Wasn't overlooked in my write-up.

Quote:

Agree. They'll be tougher with him. Kobe's perimeter game, hopefully, will also be looking better then.

Also, I'm curious to see how much they will explore LeBron in the post next time.

they haven't for 5 years, why would they now. their coach's entire offensive strategy is let Lebron make a play.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:05 am    Post subject:

10scott10 wrote:

they haven't for 5 years, why would they now. their coach's entire offensive strategy is let Lebron make a play.

It seemed like they were about to start that late in the game with a few sets. He can still playmake from there if the D has to collapse.
Addicus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:00 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
10scott10 wrote:

It seemed like they were about to start that late in the game with a few sets. He can still playmake from there if the D has to collapse.

My friend in Houston (Lakers fan - So. Cali guy) claimed to me earlier LeBron was the best player in the league. I told him hogwash and he'd see for himself. Today he admitted the guy has a ways to go. He needs to have a dominant post game and a good mid range game. At his size he should be in the post punishing people all day. The double has to come or he could got for 36 a night - if he had a mid range jumper. Thank god he doesn't.

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/addicusbrown
Addicus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:01 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
Ilgauskas was a bigger factor than Delonte West. He's their equalvent to "Pau Gasol". Lakers were missing Farmar and Walton, both of whom could start for this team. But great job acknowledging their absence Flo'z. Just happy we got the win, the next one will be ten times harder, when we play Boston and Cleveland on the road. (with "suspect" officiating)

Just to be clear at this point of his career and playing with LeBron he is there Andrew Bynum and not Pau Gasol. He doesn't get a lot of blocks, his rebounds are so, so for a real big but he does make a significant difference just being on the court.

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/addicusbrown
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:05 am    Post subject:

Ilgauskas plays more like a 7-3 power forward, than a center. He shoots elbow jumpers, spreads the floor, pick and rolls, etc. He moves the ball around from the high/mid-post, almost out to the three point line. He's hardly "Andrew Bynum"-ish. He has way more polish to his game.

Pau Gasol analogy is a lot accurate than Bynum.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: