***LAKERS -vs- NUGGETS 5/27 Game 5 Thread***
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 129, 130, 131, 132  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 4:58 am    Post subject:

AB did a great job blocking the paint. He's still a little slow on the rebounding end but he's definitely making the Nuggets bigs work and altering shots. In the overall scheme of things, that's all we need from him right now. By the time the finals roll around, I expect him to pick it up even more and as predicted, will be one of the keys to a championship.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 4:58 am    Post subject:

andrew did NOT look dominant out there; last night was one of his weakest games of this series. lamar odom and gasol stepped it up and dominated for us though.
gill2k
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 5:29 am    Post subject:

Game ball to Lamar. Mad props to Pau for stepping up on the defensive end (5 blocks!) and for Drew for getting us going with his post up moves.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 5:46 am    Post subject:

props to the bigs
B_P
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 6:19 am    Post subject:

Our bigs should play like this EVERY SINGLE GAME.

Effort
Effort
Effort
mike_dee23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 6:38 am    Post subject: It all starts with offensive execution

Denver Nuggets Coach George Karl said something telling during the post-game press conference following the Lakers 103-94 victory.

Paraphrasing here: We didn't get out and run like we like to.

In fact, neither team got out and ran. The Lakers had six fast-break points, while the Nuggets had only four. On Monday night, the Nuggets had 15 fast-break points and the Lakers had only five.

So what caused the difference? Better transition defense?

No, it all started with the triangle offense and running the half-court sets by going inside-out.

There were very few instances of the Lakers throwing three perimeter passes and then jacking up a three pointer. The team shot 16 threes Wednesday compared to 31 on Monday.

Fewer long rebounds lead to less opportunities for fast breaks.

In addition, the Lakers dominated in the paint, 54-36, with Lamar Odom breakthrough 19-point, 13-rebound game and Pau Gasol's 14 and 10.

The Nuggets still had too many offensive rebounds, 14, but the Lakers did a much better job to start the fourth quarter in boxing out and not allowing second chances.

And those two facts made all the difference in the game.
Legacy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 6:40 am    Post subject:

Yup.

I would still like to see us to limit their second chance points.
Arizona
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 6:47 am    Post subject:

Simple, isn't it?

“You’ve got to play with pride and guts.” -LO
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 6:58 am    Post subject:

Yeah, it seems so easy when you think, why not just play that way all the time. The problem is, it's just not as easy as it sounds with teams making adjustments and such especially in a playoff situation. Otherwise this team would be undefeated.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 7:02 am    Post subject:

Well I disagree a bit.

No doubt offense is important, winning the paint battles is almost always resulting in a W for the Lakers, but this game was tied (or the Lakers down even) DESPITE them pounding it in the paint to the bigs and having alot of cutting.

The game changed hands when the Gasol/Odom/Ariza/Bryant/Brown lineup locked in and played great defense. They just flat out STOPPED Denver, and TOOK the game from them through dominant defense.

For about 7 minutes, Denver had no FG's. That is championship D, and that is what we need more of to get these next 5 W's.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Addicus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 7:05 am    Post subject:

We all know anytime Fisher/Sasha have more shot attempts than Pau/LO/Bynum we are in trouble. It's just bad basketball for this unit.
-
While Denevr still got a lot of offensive rebounds last night few were easy putbacks. They came from balls the Lakers had their hands on and couldn't retain. That made Denver firght to score every possesion and they aren't built for that.

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/addicusbrown
mike_dee23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 7:05 am    Post subject:

This game reminded me of all those earlier this season when the Lakers would wear teams out by the fourth quarter because of execution. The biggest difference is that they didn't knock down the 3-point shot. They hit at their playoff average and they win by at least 18.
ETHIO-LAKER
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 7:08 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Well I disagree a bit.

No doubt offense is important, winning the paint battles is almost always resulting in a W for the Lakers, but this game was tied (or the Lakers down even) DESPITE them pounding it in the paint to the bigs and having alot of cutting.

The game changed hands when the Gasol/Odom/Ariza/Bryant/Brown lineup locked in and played great defense. They just flat out STOPPED Denver, and TOOK the game from them through dominant defense.

For about 7 minutes, Denver had no FG's. That is championship D, and that is what we need more of to get these next 5 W's.

Yep, exactly!!! That's where the game was won. The Lakers used the same defensive scheme they used against Houston in games 7 of trapping the point guards with bigs early and disrupting the offense and confusing them. That's was the difference.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 7:14 am    Post subject:

it all starts with a pg able to defend one on one, so we don't need to rotate so much and our big men can hold their positions... otherwise if we play a defense that overhelps on the strong side and lets the weak side unprotected, we'll find again ourselves in trouble, for our opponents will always find easy rebounds and shots...
rak617
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:04 am    Post subject: Positives and Negatives of Game 5

Positives: Kobe passing, Odom ruling the paint, Bynum staying strong inside the paint, Brown

Negatives: Fisher, Phil's substituions (mainly putting Fisher in final minutes)

No comment: Luke, Refs

Game Changer: Brown's dunk over Chicken. Also, Odom's dunk over Chicken

What do u say guys??
gill2k
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:09 am    Post subject:

Positives: Gasol's defense (5 blocks!), Kobe's passing, Shannon Brown igniting the crowd and the Lakers.

Negatives: Yes, the substitution by Phil to put Derek back in when Shannon was clearly doing a hell of a job on Chauncey and was providing an amazing spark off the bench.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Positives and Negatives of Game 5

rak617 wrote:
Positives: Kobe passing, Odom ruling the paint, Bynum staying strong inside the paint, Brown

Negatives: Fisher, Phil's substituions (mainly putting Fisher in final minutes)

No comment: Luke, Refs

Game Changer: Brown's dunk over Chicken. Also, Odom's dunk over Chicken

What do u say guys??

luke got fouled late in the game when he missed that layup. still should've dunked it. aside from that, luke is the melo slower downer. unless the refs say otherwise. i've noticed this. so luke is okay vs denver.

phil should've put in brown sooner. but atleast fisher earned his check last night. Sasha??? he needs to ask fisher where did he find his shot so he can look under the same couch
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:16 am    Post subject:

gill2k wrote:
Positives: Gasol's defense (5 blocks!), Kobe's passing, Shannon Brown igniting the crowd and the Lakers.

Negatives: Yes, the substitution by Phil to put Derek back in when Shannon was clearly doing a hell of a job on Chauncey and was providing an amazing spark off the bench.

Phil likes Brown... maybe Phil felt that the Lakers could win it at home with Fisher and because he likes Brown he wants to keep him under wraps as much as he can without jeopardizing a win so will use him when he absolutely has to but will limit it when he can in the hopes that Brown can be signed cheap enough that he can be retained... I know I'm way out there... I'm saying all of this with tongue partially in cheek... but with that said I'm hoping that Brown doesn't price himself off the team...

Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers ...

Last edited by LA_Lakers_Rule on Thu May 28, 2009 8:18 am; edited 1 time in total
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:17 am    Post subject:

Positives: late quarter runs at the end of the 1st, 2nd and 3rd to tie the game; great defense throughout the first; great ball movement throughout the game; Lamar's gut check performance; Kobe's unselfishness; Pau's steadiness; Shannon's D and crowd-igniting dunk

Negatives: poor stretches of man D against Melo; poor decision-making from Fish (although he shot better); still waiting for Drew to dominate the glass
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:18 am    Post subject:

Sasha made that 3 with out that who knows
rak617
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:19 am    Post subject:

LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:

Phil likes Brown... maybe Phil felt the the Lakers could win it at home with Fisher and because he likes Brown he wants to keep him under wraps as much as he can without jeopardizing a win so will use him when he absolutely has to but will limit it when he can in the hopes that Brown can be signed cheap enough that he can be retained... I know I'm way out there... I'm saying all of this with tongue partially in cheek... but with that said I'm hoping that Brown doesn't price himself off the team...

Wow.....Good logic. But I would focus on this year's championship rather than future. Let's worry about contracts in off season.

I want to stick with Brown if he is playing good. Fisher almost killed us with 2 plays in the final minutes. I don't want to risk until and unless we are leading by 50 with one minute left in fourth quarter....Just saying
Vishnu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:20 am    Post subject:

Positives: I think all of our players played relatively well.

Negatives: We didn't blow them out even though all our players played relatively well.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:23 am    Post subject:

RCS926 wrote:
Positives: late quarter runs at the end of the 1st, 2nd and 3rd to tie the game; great defense throughout the first; great ball movement throughout the game; Lamar's gut check performance; Kobe's unselfishness; Pau's steadiness; Shannon's D and crowd-igniting dunk

Negatives: poor stretches of man D against Melo; poor decision-making from Fish (although he shot better); still waiting for Drew to dominate the glass

drew will never dominate the glass vs the nuggs for two reasons. they are just to athletic and to quick to beat them to the ball. its not about just boxing out a guy standing next to you. its guys crashing that are not next to you. a true big like drew doesn't react that fast.
#2. the refs call so many touch fouls on him he's afraid to aggressively pursue the basketball.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:25 am    Post subject:

Vishnu wrote:
Positives: I think all of our players played relatively well.

Negatives: We didn't blow them out even though all our players played relatively well.
sasha was still brick city.

fake foul trouble for drew and kobe still didn't get his due calls.

the nuggs got to the line to much still in my opinion. and that wasnt cause the lakers were hacking. just bad officiating again.
Legacy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:30 am    Post subject: Shannon's Technical Foul

Apparently he and Birdman got a double tech (correct me if I'm wrong) after Lamar posterized Anderson. I saw Birdman get upset at someone after the play, but the camera view was limited as to who he was getting into it with. And then there was some speculation involving Pau with the incident.

Anyone know what happened? Or have a video clip with a better angle of the altercation? I'm dying to know.

BTW, Shannon and Lamar were our difference makers in game 5. Props fellas.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Game Updates All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 129, 130, 131, 132  Next
Page 130 of 132
Jump to: