Steve Kerr to coach the Warriors
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:42 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Good move for NY. Giving a rookie coach 5 years and veteran proven coach money is ridiculous.

Write it down. Kerr and warriors take a step back this season. Mark Jackson wasn't a great Xs and Os coach but he had his guys playing hard and responded to him. I don't think Kerr wins that team over.

Phil should just coach one more year and Establish Melo in the triangle himself. Then bring in another guy a year or two down the road. Riley did same with Spoelstra.

Couldnt of said it better myself.

Whats the hype around Kerr anyway? I guess these execs know something we dont (then again, there always these exec blunds like when minny drafted all those point guarsd)..

People seriously fighting over a rookie coach. It's like fighting for a girl you've only talked on the phone with.. I guess you could even fall in love then though.. hah
kwest80
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject:

eureca wrote:
Who is next on the Knicks list? Kurt Rambis? It sounded like they wanted someone to run the triangle.

ESPN (or BSPN, if you will) just wrote an article saying that Luke Walton, Tyronn Lue and Derek Fisher are now being considered. Would love Brian Shaw if Denver somehow parted ways with him. Kurt Rambis also being considered.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 10:51 am    Post subject:

kwest80 wrote:
eureca wrote:
Who is next on the Knicks list? Kurt Rambis? It sounded like they wanted someone to run the triangle.

ESPN (or BSPN, if you will) just wrote an article saying that Luke Walton, Tyronn Lue and Derek Fisher are now being considered. Would love Brian Shaw if Denver somehow parted ways with him. Kurt Rambis also being considered.

Tyronn Lue deserves a shot. He's put in his time as an assistant. I believe Fish would get the respect from the players, but Luke would get eaten alive by the NY Media and the Knicks players. Can you imagine Luke trying to coach the likes of Melo and JR Smith?
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject:

marga86 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Good move for NY. Giving a rookie coach 5 years and veteran proven coach money is ridiculous.

Write it down. Kerr and warriors take a step back this season. Mark Jackson wasn't a great Xs and Os coach but he had his guys playing hard and responded to him. I don't think Kerr wins that team over.

Phil should just coach one more year and Establish Melo in the triangle himself. Then bring in another guy a year or two down the road. Riley did same with Spoelstra.

Whats the hype around Kerr anyway? I guess these execs know something we dont (then again, there always these exec blunds like when minny drafted all those point guarsd)..

People seriously fighting over a rookie coach. It's like fighting for a girl you've only talked on the phone with.. I guess you could even fall in love then though.. hah

Manti Teo says hi
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 10:53 am    Post subject:

dirka dirka wrote:
More difficult conference by far, more expectations, short leash.

Don't alienate the FO and the bolded isn't an issue.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 10:55 am    Post subject:

marga86 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

The hype was that Phil wanted him.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
What, did West sour on Mike Brown? Or were his previous comments just fluff....

West isn't making decisions for GS
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 11:23 am    Post subject:

You could almost say that the whole Kerr, GS, NY thing was a triangle of sorts. Ironic.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:39 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Apparently the Knicks offer was 4/20, so it's not exactly a giant leap for one extra hear.

As for Phil implementing the triangle? Good luck with that. No time, no staff and definitely the wrong players. He's not going back to coaching for a train wreck.

So you sell your wife that you will make at least 5 million less (possibly more since it was 20 with incentives not 20 alone) and be further away.

Kerr had to think about what's best for him and who gave him the most money. There is no big slight to Phil because Kerr only became a real popular hyped name with Phil's interest in him.

Some Phil haters are trying a bit too hard to prove their theory that Jackson is going to be doomed in the FO role. Give him at least two years before you can label him successful or a failure. (Not talking about you HTP)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 4:43 pm    Post subject:

The NY market is one of the toughest for a coach. Woodson had just come off a good season where he got the team to the 2nd round and they won 50 games. A year later he is gone. What is the average life span of a coach at one spot? A new coach? I would guess 2-3 years. Kerr if he had a great team and success was ensured money in Ny. But what if Melo leaves. They have to rebuild (which IMO for that team is a good thing). He wouldn't last long. So you take the 25 million guaranteed any day. Better roster. Closer to home. Less pressure and media factor in GST. I don't think Kerr would have even considered ny if not for his great respect for Jackson. And the Knicks didn't show him the same love as GST did. Money talks people, why is Stan in Detroit over Golden State? 35 million dollars is greater than 25.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lilmomo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 12:57 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Apparently the Knicks offer was 4/20, so it's not exactly a giant leap for one extra hear.

As for Phil implementing the triangle? Good luck with that. No time, no staff and definitely the wrong players. He's not going back to coaching for a train wreck.

So you sell your wife that you will make at least 5 million less (possibly more since it was 20 with incentives not 20 alone) and be further away.

Kerr had to think about what's best for him and who gave him the most money. There is no big slight to Phil because Kerr only became a real popular hyped name with Phil's interest in him.

Some Phil haters are trying a bit too hard to prove their theory that Jackson is going to be doomed in the FO role. Give him at least two years before you can label him successful or a failure. (Not talking about you HTP)

Bunk that! I hope Phil fails and he fails hard. So far all his moves have been meh! Yet because he has 11 rings people will let it slide. Could you imagine the backlash from LG fans if we wanted Kerr and he didn't come here? Now supposedly he wants Luke, Fisher, and Rambis? O please hire those guys Phil. Just as I suspected, Phil aside from being a good coach doesn't really have any imagination when it comes to personal and will always go for his comfort zone.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 5:54 am    Post subject:

Doesn't sound like it's off to a good start.

Quote:
Since the Golden State Warriors announced Tuesday that Steve Kerr had been hired as their new head coach, replacing Mark Jackson, there has yet to be a welcoming tweet, interview or anything else seen or heard from one of the players. That, one of them said, is not by accident. "That is out of loyalty to Coach Jackson," said the player, who requested anonymity. "It has nothing to do with Steve. Just meeting him when he worked our games, he seems like a nice guy. It has to do more with how Coach was done. Guys loved Coach Jackson. They'd run through a wall for him. It hasn't really set in that he's gone and someone else has been hired."

Quote:
The players' pointed silence is about Jackson, despite their pleas that he be retained, getting axed less than 72 hours after their season ended with a first-round Game 7 loss on the road to the Los Angeles Clippers. It's about Jackson, as a first-time coach, having to settle for a four-year, $8 million deal, while Kerr, a first-time coach, signed a five-year, $25 million package, totally guaranteed. It's about the vast majority of the players and staff sharing Jackson's Christian faith and attending services to hear him preach at his non-denominational church, while knowing that Kerr developed a similar bond with team owner Joe Lacob over two decades of shared golf and venture capital interests

LINK
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 6:47 am    Post subject:

lilmomo wrote:
Just as I suspected, Phil aside from being a good coach doesn't really have any imagination when it comes to personal and will always go for his comfort zone.

Of course he will go with people he can trust, he is loyal to a fault, but it's also it's how he got to 11 rings in the first place.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 8:18 am    Post subject:

K2 wrote:
lilmomo wrote:
Just as I suspected, Phil aside from being a good coach doesn't really have any imagination when it comes to personal and will always go for his comfort zone.

Of course he will go with people he can trust, he is loyal to a fault

Totally ... especially throughout The Last Season.
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 8:59 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
Doesn't sound like it's off to a good start.

Quote:
Since the Golden State Warriors announced Tuesday that Steve Kerr had been hired as their new head coach, replacing Mark Jackson, there has yet to be a welcoming tweet, interview or anything else seen or heard from one of the players. That, one of them said, is not by accident. "That is out of loyalty to Coach Jackson," said the player, who requested anonymity. "It has nothing to do with Steve. Just meeting him when he worked our games, he seems like a nice guy. It has to do more with how Coach was done. Guys loved Coach Jackson. They'd run through a wall for him. It hasn't really set in that he's gone and someone else has been hired."

Quote:
The players' pointed silence is about Jackson, despite their pleas that he be retained, getting axed less than 72 hours after their season ended with a first-round Game 7 loss on the road to the Los Angeles Clippers. It's about Jackson, as a first-time coach, having to settle for a four-year, $8 million deal, while Kerr, a first-time coach, signed a five-year, $25 million package, totally guaranteed. It's about the vast majority of the players and staff sharing Jackson's Christian faith and attending services to hear him preach at his non-denominational church, while knowing that Kerr developed a similar bond with team owner Joe Lacob over two decades of shared golf and venture capital interests

LINK

Dang.

I'm not gonna lie, i always thought MJack was "likeable".. kind of proves he was. There was no reason why he shouldnt of gotten at least another year with that team.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 9:07 am    Post subject:

^ sounds like a race and religious discrimination lawsuit to me!
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

I agree with the bold, plus I don't get what is so great about Kerr, I personally do not care for the guy, however I do understand why PJ was interested in Kerr. Kerr seemed to enjoy taking shots at Kobe and the Lakers as an announcer. Kerr will feel more pressure coaching GS, however 25 million should ease the pressure, way to much money for an unproven coach.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Write it down. Kerr and warriors take a step back ythis season. Mark Jackson wasn't a great Xs and Os coach but he had his guys playing hard and responded to him. I don't think Kerr wins that team over.

Kerr, certainly took full advantage of PJ's interest in him, not the first time a player or coach used a situation to their advantage.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject:

lilmomo wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Bunk that! I hope Phil fails and he fails hard. So far all his moves have been meh! Yet because he has 11 rings people will let it slide. Could you imagine the backlash from LG fans if we wanted Kerr and he didn't come here? Now supposedly he wants Luke, Fisher, and Rambis? O please hire those guys Phil. Just as I suspected, Phil aside from being a good coach doesn't really have any imagination when it comes to personal and will always go for his comfort zone.

Are you actually criticizing people for having a higher opinion of Jackson because he has 11 rings? Really? You want people to be just as confident in Phil as they would be with a guy that has zero rings?
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject:

If would be hilarious if they struggle with the triangle as much as the Lakers struggled with the Princeton offense.

Firing Jackson and then hiring a rookie coach and paying him a ton of money (way more than Jackson) is a weird move.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
lilmomo wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Are you actually criticizing people for having a higher opinion of Jackson because he has 11 rings? Really? You want people to be just as confident in Phil as they would be with a guy that has zero rings?

I don't think that was the point at all. He's simply saying that 11 rings as a coach (including 5 with the Lakers) make some here want to absolve him of criticism other GM's would get.

FWIW, I don't share his desire to see Phil fail (as long as it doesn't affect us, I wish him well), but I also don't share the idea that pointing out that phil looks very much over his head in a few predicted areas makes you a "Phil hater" either, which is another deflection you see a lot of.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:50 pm    Post subject:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/39586802/warriors-give-steve-kerr-record-2-year-35m-extension

Quote:
Sources: Warriors give Steve Kerr record 2-year, $35M extension

Golden State Warriors coach Steve Kerr, an architect of four franchise championships, has agreed on a two-year, $35 million contract extension that will make him the highest-paid coach in NBA history, agents Rick Smith and Dan Eveloff of Priority Sports told ESPN on Friday.

Kerr's deal was set to expire at the end of 2023-24, and his $17.5 million-a-season extension takes him through the 2025-26 campaign. The extension aligns him with the two years left on Stephen Curry's contract.

San Antonio Spurs coach Gregg Popovich makes more annually, sources say, but he holds the dual title of president and coach. Miami Heat coach Erik Spoelstra signed an eight-year extension that pays him about $15 million a season, according to sources.

The agreement completes months of talks between Golden State general manager Mike Dunleavy Jr. and Kerr's representatives, assuring the Warriors that they'll hold on to the coach whose .655 winning percentage is fifth in league history.

EDITOR'S PICKS

All signs point to the Lakers and Warriors being past their primes
15hBrian Windhorst

Stephen Curry, Steve Kerr and a Warriors dynasty at a crossroads
1dBaxter Holmes
Securing Kerr to remain with Dunleavy to lead the organization has been a priority of owner Joe Lacob. The Warriors never reached an extension with former president and GM Bob Myers, who exited at the end of the 2022-23 season.

Kerr, 58, has established himself as an iconic figure in the Warriors' dynasty, and now commits to staying through what could become a transitional phase of an organization built around Curry, Draymond Green and Klay Thompson for more than a decade.

Kerr, who has four titles and six appearances in the NBA Finals, won his 500th game last Thursday. That made him the fifth-fastest coach to do so in history.

He is also Team USA's national coach. He will coach the Americans in the 2024 Summer Olympics in Paris.

Kerr led the Warriors to 73 wins in the 2015-16 regular season, the most in NBA history. Now in his ninth season, Kerr is 501-264 during his tenure at Golden State.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: