ronny turiaf at the starting 4?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

does ronny turiaf have a shot in the starting line
yes
26%
 26%  [ 23 ]
no
73%
 73%  [ 64 ]
Total Votes : 87

lakers*raiders
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:12 am    Post subject: ronny turiaf at the starting 4?

i think he may have a shot if kwayme plays the 5
djb
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:14 am    Post subject:

Negatory.
GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:18 am    Post subject:

If:

Kwame Plays 5
Mihm is traded
Grant is traded or released
LA doesn't trade for another BIG
Slava/Cook/Mihm/Grant are all injured or traded...

There you go...I'd say there is a very slim chance Turiaf starts in the near future...doesn't mean he couldn't start eventually...just means I wouldn't hold my breath hoping it happens this year...
lakers*raiders
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:21 am    Post subject:

the mans a beast though so u think he couldn't even start a couple of games as a confidence booster??
GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:35 am    Post subject:

lakers*raiders wrote:
the mans a beast though so u think he couldn't even start a couple of games as a confidence booster??

Big minutes? yes...

Start? maybe...against select teams...but he doesn't lack confidence...its polish he needs...

I will say that if he develops a reliable mid-range J, he may see significant minutes after the All-Star break...

I just don't think he's one of our best 5 players...not enough our best PF, which is the only position I'd be comfortable with him defending...until he proves otherwise, he won't be a starter...
Fallout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:12 am    Post subject:

Not going to happen. Mihm will play 5, and Kwame 4.
It defeats the purpose of getting Kwame to play the 4. Turiaf is foul prone, he's not ready as a NBA starter yet.
#StayInYoLane
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject:

kwame/C
mihm/PF
odom/SF
KB/SG
?/PG

This is our starting lineup...... with kwame and mihm at PF and C those are both 7 footers.......... and mihm is at PF because he plays better at PF and i think that is his original postition
LA_NATIVE
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:19 am    Post subject:

If Mihm gets traded he will start
Bystander
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject:

It would be pathetic if Ronny beats Kwame to starting position.
Bystander
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:33 am    Post subject:

LA_NATIVE wrote:
If Mihm gets traded he will start

The only way I see Lakers trading Mihm is for impact big who would start.
I'll be satisfied if Turiaf gives Lakers 20 mins of energy play from the bench.
sticky100
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:15 am    Post subject:

the starting line-ups won't be set until after training camp/pre-season....i wouldn't mind l.a. trading mihm and putting brown at centre because i personally think mihm is TRASH! kobe's drive and dish make him look HALF decent...if he didn't drop many passes them maybe he could be a decent starting centre...somehow i'd LOVE to see mihm on the bench!
defencewins
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject:

He has a shot the 2nd half if Brown is determined to be a bust , or Mihm doesn't improve his road performance and Brown is moved to center to get Mihm out of the starting lineup.

Improving the interior defense is a priority for Phil. Grant and Mihm did not provide it at center last year. Realistically though -I see Ronny coming off the bench ala Mad Dog Madsen

Phil has staffed the 4 by commitee before. If Grant surprises everyone and sticks with the team he and Ronny could share the position if Brown is moved to center sometime during the year.
ALbino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject:

Kwame will start with Grant getting his backup minutes. Turiaf will get the rest. You can see now how urgent it is to trade Slava and Cook as they're taking up roster spots and there's no minutes for them anyway :)

AL.
Startrout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject:

He'd foul out in the first quarter. He's fun to watch and has potential to help us, but he needs to put on muscle and come off the bench for a season or two. I don't think he'll ever be able to guard the big PF's in the league (Duncan, Sheed, etc). Kwame's our man, barring another trade.
ValisJason
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject:

If Mihm gets traded it will be for another player that can start at Center or PF. Turiaf will not start this season. Turiaf will probably not start next season. But, the season after that we may have a starting line-up of Bynum and Turiaf. But, I have to say, that would mean that Kwame has failed to realize his potentail. I would rather have a starting line-up 2 years from now of Odom, Brown, Bynum ... that would mean this has been a very successful offseason, and that the Lakers would be contenders.
lakermax
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:11 pm    Post subject:

ALbino wrote:
Kwame will start with Grant getting his backup minutes. Turiaf will get the rest. You can see now how urgent it is to trade Slava and Cook as they're taking up roster spots and there's no minutes for them anyway

AL.

There's a lot of speculation about waiving Grant to save $$$. If Grant is waived or traded I'd like to see Turiaf and Cook split the minutes as Kwame's backup.

If any of the above happens we only need to ship one from Cook/Slava. Not both. They are basically the same player. It would be nice to have a back up 4 that can shoot. But maybe we only use that option in trash time when we're up by 20+ pts. Lord know niether one of them can D.
STiG909
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:02 pm    Post subject:

Let him get some time to study the game from the bench for maybe a season or 2 before you have him start. All the best rebounding/defensive PF's did their time on the bench. Players with higher basketball IQ's are always better defenders and rebounders.
iceberg01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject:

KWAME BROWN WILL START AT THE 4 FOR THE LAKERS... and do WELL.

Mark that down. The kid is a PF, not a C. PLUS Kwame's bigger and more offensively talented than Turiaf. Turiaf's a garbage man--which is what we need--but if you're counting on the kid to even score in double-digits every game, which we need, it's not going to happen. He's got a long way to go, as far as offense goes....
AIRZOOMKOBE2k5
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject:

guys it says a SHOT..
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:58 am    Post subject:

He looks like a good prospect, but under NO circumstances do I give a 2nd rounder the starting job and say here you go. I'm a big Van Exel fan, and I'd be a hypocrite with what I just said, but that team in shambles at the time. Nick was forced into starting time (wasn't Sedale hurt?) and they didn't have much of a choice. With this situation, if Turiaf impresses I increase his playing time, but they're going to have plenty up front.

If they deal Mihm it would be for another big man in return, or if they'd do that straight up for a point, they use the MLE for one of the big guys left, or make another deal. I don't see Mihm moving unless they have to though.

Anyway, it's gotta be Brown/Mihm. If they strike out trying to use the MLE on the vast ammount of PGs available, they package Vlade's deal, Miami's pick and expiring deals to get one.
iceberg01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:05 am    Post subject:

I don't even think he has a shot.

EVERYONE wants Kwame to do well... including ALL of the Laker brain trust.

If Kwame does well, he averages 20 & 10, 5 assists, 1.5 blocks. He has that type of talent.

If Kwame just does OK, he averages 13, 8.5 boards, 3 assists.

On the other hand, if Turiaf does GREAT, he's a 14 & 9 guy who's overmatched every night: his ceiling is pretty low--he really has a VERY limited offensive game & he's more of a system guy than a guy who has great size & talent like Kwame does.

If Turiaf does OK as a starter, he'll average 8 & 8.

And, let's not forget--Kwame is what? A YEAR older than Turiaf? AND he's getting paid more money, on top of his size & talent advantage?

Kwame gets EVERY chance to make it happen by Phil & the Lakers brass. Because if loses his job to Turiaf, his career is over. And he knows it--I don't think he or the Laker organization will let it happen... I hope.
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject:

Kwame starts, Turiaf backs him. Turiaf would KILL opposing bench PFs and you want that type of thing.

I love the idea that in 2 yrs. we can can start Bynum and Brown up front, and then back them up with Mihm and Turiaf. Not many teams have 2 legit centers on their roster, along with 2 legit PFs. We should be thrilled about that, especially since these guys bring different things to the table. Different looks keep opponents confused and can affect their game (Tim Duncan, in particular, really gets bothered by different defenders throwing different things at him).
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: