Site Performance

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> User Feedback / Report a Bug Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sparhawk6
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: Site Performance

I love LGnet and I have for several years now, but it seems like there are some bad business decisions going on. Every single time there is a close game or some big news is announced, the site comes to a screeching halt and is nearly useless. It takes 30 seconds just to post or to view a thread. You can set your watch to it. It happens every time.

You would think that with that much traffic, you could generate enough ad revenue to cover the cost of a decent host.

Those are just my thoughts, which I feel I should post after having experienced this typical slow down for many years now.
[/b]
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject:

My first goal taking over the site is to increase revenue so that we can deal with the server issues.
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:05 pm    Post subject:

I understand your frustration about the site slowing down and it's something that is being worked behind the scenes. However, I don't understand why you think that has anything to do with business decisions.
uberzev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:21 pm    Post subject:

I believe Pokoy is the root of our problems.
Sparhawk6
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:31 pm    Post subject:

Exick wrote:
I understand your frustration about the site slowing down and it's something that is being worked behind the scenes. However, I don't understand why you think that has anything to do with business decisions.

Only because in my naive mind it seems simple that if you are generating traffic such that it cripples the site consistently, and it has been going on for years now, the fix is to seek advertising revenue (which wouldn't be impossible if you present the traffic stats) and use that revenue to invest in better hosting. That seems like a business decision to me.

Of course I am being naive and I know so little about what's going on behind the scenes. For example, I don't know the challenges of running a site that gains revenue off of covering an NBA team. There might be some licensing requirements.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:54 pm    Post subject:

There has been progress. It used to be that the site locked up at 200+ visitors pounding away on it at once. Today, it locked up and was reaching 540+ visitors. So, there has been progress. We would have never reached that before.

But LG needs to be able to handle more than that. And to do that, it needs to start with some solid revenue building, so we can reinvest in the site and handle the growth.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> User Feedback / Report a Bug All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: