What's up with the locking?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> User Feedback / Report a Bug Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: What's up with the locking?

There were some decent, civil and worthwhile threads locked today while other obvious throll threads are just left open.

Like the Ronnie thread . . . there was no reason to lock that, but it was. But an obvious flame thread meant to incite by casting Kobe as a sabatoeur is left wide open.

There was nothing wrong with the officiating thread either.

Doesn't make sense . . . at least not if this place wants to be viewed as a place where reasonable discourse can take place without cencorship based solely on viewpoint and not content.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject:

I don't know why the Ronnie/Odom thread was locked, other than maybe we've got way too many Odom threads. Mods should put a message in that kind of thread if they have the time. I unlocked it.

The Sasha thread, people were calling each other idiots. Obvious lock.

I missed the rest. Looks like some might be of the piss and moan quality with just one line rant and no real content...but can't say, since I didn't see them.

The goal for mods is to keep a variety of topics on the page. Misc. rant threads with no real content, should be merged into one rant thread. Too many topics on the same thing should be merged into one, as well.

The more variety, the better the board.
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject:

I don't know about the Ronny/Odom thread either. I didn't do anything to that one.

As for the officiating one, I locked it because the title said that officials should be tortured in a chamber. I didn't leave a note as to why it was locked because it should go without saying that a thread title like that is asking for a lock.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject:

Exick wrote:

As for the officiating one, I locked it because the title said that officials should be tortured in a chamber. I didn't leave a note as to why it was locked because it should go without saying that a thread title like that is asking for a lock.

That should be obvious to most people...I would hope.
uberzev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject:

You guys really have to be more subtle.

If you make a thread about 'waterboarding' the officials we might possibly have a debate on the issue.

But start right out talking about torture we have no choice but to shut things down.

Anyone for a freedom tickle?
Alpha

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: What's up with the locking?

DaMuleRules wrote:
There were some decent, civil and worthwhile threads locked today while other obvious throll threads are just left open.

Like the Ronnie thread . . . there was no reason to lock that, but it was. But an obvious flame thread meant to incite by casting Kobe as a sabatoeur is left wide open.

There was nothing wrong with the officiating thread either.

Doesn't make sense . . . at least not if this place wants to be viewed as a place where reasonable discourse can take place without cencorship based solely on viewpoint and not content.

I wasn't around after the game so I cannot speak about those specific issues but I'd like to make a comment.

I do not blame any mod for possibly making a mistake after a game. The amount of threads (that are obviously out of line) that get started after a loss is simply ridiculous. No one should have to play Super Nanny here.

IF someone feels a thread was locked in error... just PM a mod and if it is reviewed as a thread that should be left open then it can be unlocked. So... IMO if they were "locking" that is good. When I start tossing/merging threads into the P&M ... and make a mistake... there is no way to reverse it... ask Uberzev, I did it to his.

So I don't get the attitude in which you are posting IF that is all that happened.

Do you want us to just start banning people instead? I know that approach was employed in the past... I think the mods are being pretty patient and civil in locking, merging &/or warning.

Or should we go the other way and let people post whatever they want? We have all seen that and I for one HATED it. LG is a community that has rules that promotes respect amongst all members. A line has to be drawn and there will always be people that are not in agreement.

I trust, respect and appreciate the leadership and community of this site. I am sorry for this rant but your post came across as "based solely on viewpoint and not content."
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject:

I intended to post this on a new topic thread but then thought better of it since the thread was locked by Exick and I do want to respect the moderation of this site. But I have to say that I respectfully feel the wielding of the "lock" perogative maybe should be toned down.

Here is what WAS the new topic thread that I WAS going to post because the original thread was locked (down to the line drawn where it says "end of what I was going to post"):

J.C. Smith wrote:
Quote:
It turned out to be a bad trade because Kwame is a worse player now than he was in his third season. Caron was not an all-star with our team and he never would have became one. He was happy to leave, he felt we turned him into a jump shooter. In Washington he was able to play to his strengths and he worked hard and lived up to his potential. But this is his first three seasons (and his third was with us):

15.4 points (41.6% fg, 31.8% 3p), 5.1 rebounds, 2.7 assists, 1.8 steals, 0.4 blocks
9.2 points (38% fg, 23.8% 3p), 4.8 rebounds, 1.9 assists, 1.1 steals, 0.2 blocks
15.5 points (44.5% fg, 30.4% 3p), 5.8 rebounds, 1.9 assists, 1.4 steals, 0.3 blocks

From his rooki eyear to his third year he had gone:

Improvements:
+0.1 points
+2.9% fg
+0.7 rebounds

Steps Backward:
-1.4% three point percentage
-0.8 assists
-0.4 steals
-0.1 blocks

He had a strong finish to that season, but he had it after Odom went down and then Kobe quickly followed Odom. Caron is a guy who needs the ball in his hands, and with Kobe in the offense he didn't have it. Even worse, he was a poor defender, who was eyeballing a $10 million a year contract that we didn't feel he was worth when we already had Odom who was a better rebounder, passer, defender and a similar scorer who could play multiple positions.

Now obviously Caron has made some huge strides since leaving the Lakers. Props to him for working hard. But the system in Washington also was a system that took advantage of his talents, where ours did not. Perhaps we could have gotten a better player for Caron, it was certainly a big gamble. But Kwame was a guy who had averaged 11 points and 7.4 rebounds as a power forward two years before (and was coming off an injury that season). He had a reputaiton as a good defender and had elite athleticism and size. Phil wanted Kwame, he felt he would be able to help him achieve his untapped potential. Apparently, he was wrong. But we had just invested money into bringing Phil back and he saw a team loaded with small forwards and a former #1 pick who he thought could help turn things around in L.A. Knowing then what we know now, the Lakers would have certainly traded Odom (who had more value at the time) and held on to Caron, and had nothing to do with Kwame Brown. At the time though it seemed like a reasonable gamble. If Kwame had just lived up to the 14 and 9 that he gave Washington in the second half of his third season and been able to play a power forward in the triangle, we would have a very formidable lineup. A frontline of Odom, Kwame and Bynum would have been too big and too athletic for anyone else to match up with. Unfortunately it didn't work out that way.

I guess we are now locking threads on the basis of one's subjective position that the specific topic subject has reached an arbitrary level of repetitiveness.

Exick wrote:
Quote:
This has been discussed ad nauseam here.

Just as another thread was locked in the past week before I was able to reply based on the reasoning that the OP was "tooting their own horn" I was unable to reply to this thread based on it's perceived redundancy. So since the thread I had intended to reply to was locked and I felt that J.C.Smith was entitled to be applauded for a very good analysis of the dynamics of the Butler trade I hope that my posting this post is taken in the spirit intended in that all of us should look back on the Kwame trade with the proper perspective as J.C.Smith as outlined, imho.

Frankly if this is now the basis of "locks" then I would guess we are through talking about a lot of issues.

I would like to add in this forum topic the following beyond what I had intended to post as a new thread (above):

Can I ask the mods this question?

If we as members have the sincere belief that a worthwhile perspective has been posted in a thread that has been LOCKED for reasons such as perceived "redundancy" or for reasons such as the subjective view the thread topic as "boasting" which in neither case would appear to pass the threshold of a provocative nature based on the fundamental guidelines of this board but instead is based on the arbitrary and personal perception of the respective mod then....

Can we redact from the locked thread and post a new topic thread with what we believed to be worthwhile and warrant a discussion from that locked thread?

Or would this be considered either disrespecting or testing the limits of the mods?

I ask this with all do respect to those who moderate this board but at the same time personally feel that LOCKS should only be used if the abuse reaches the level of personal attacks or other reasons of a similar nature and not simply on the basis of redundancy or perceptions that a member is boasting when in fact the topic would still appear to have some merit.

I would like to add that the bolded part is not to "shout" but merely to 'highlight" what I consider the most important since many do not like to read verbose posts. I added this since posts can be misinterpreted because a forum board is only a vehicle for typed dialogue and is absent the nuances of a normal verbal conversation where people can understand intent in a better way. I know that bolding, larger font size or caps is interpreted by some to be "shouting" but I almost always only intend it to be a way for some to focus on the more important aspects of the post that is otherwise considered by many as verbose.

Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers ...
dangle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject:

LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:
I intended to post this on a new topic thread but then thought better of it since the thread was locked by Exick and I do want to respect the moderation of this site. But I have to say that I respectfully feel the wielding of the "lock" perogative maybe should be toned down.

I guess we are now locking threads on the basis of one's subjective position that the specific topic subject has reached an arbitrary level of repetitiveness.

No kidding! I just started a Kwame Appreciation Thread where I wanted to say some good things about the man and within 10 minutes it's locked! Can someone, Exick in particular explain to me what was wrong with that thread? If you personally had something against him and even if you are in the majority, what exactly was wrong with the thread that it deserved to be locked!

Anxiously awaiting a reply.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject:

Exick was actually putting a halt to the negative comments that followed. I've cleaned it up and put a warning in there for people to find another place to post their Kwame rants.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject:

In response to LA_Lakers_Rule, I appreciate when the mods lock a thread that has been discussed over and over again. The Kwame-Caron trade is old news and every point has been discussed way too many times.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> User Feedback / Report a Bug All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: