An open suggestion to the moderators of LG -

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> User Feedback / Report a Bug Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Osama YoMama
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: An open suggestion to the moderators of LG -

First off, let me say that this is regarding the ongoing 'game threads' and how they seem to have lost their initial purpose (to inform users who aren't fortunate enough to watch the game on television how the team is playing, score, etc...)

It seems like the 'game threads' have become nothing more than a 2 1/2 hour bash fest of our own players. It's become so bad that you wouldn't even be able to tell if our team is winning or losing that particular game. The levels of negativity displayed during game threads (regardless of whether or not we're blowing a team out, down by one point, etc.) is off the charts. Page after page after page of posters calling our players obscene names - and even wishing injury to some!

Get a grip guys... I know we're all sports fans and there's bound to be short tempers and impulsive actions around here, but this is getting beyond ridiculous. I can't even look at a game thread to see the score because no one even bothers to post it. I can't even look at a game thread to see how the team is playing because posters are too busy calling Lamar a "cancer" because he missed a contested lay-up. They're too busy calling Fisher "the worst role player in NBA history" when he misses a shot. They're too busy calling Kobe "a moron and an idiot" when he turns to ball over. Not to mention that every other post in game threads is riddled with profanity - again, this is all REGARDLESS of whether we're winning the game or not.

What I'm trying to say is, mods - if it's possible - could we get some more moderation of the game threads? I used to take a big sigh of relief when I was out of town and didn't have the luxury of watching the Lakers on TV, because I knew I could come here and watch the game thread, where respectable posters informed people like me of the score, how the team was playing, etc. I hope we can get back to that point, because it was one of the many aspects of this place that made it the best Lakers site on the web.

GSW 135
LAL 95

Result:

LAL 123
GSW 119
KOBE 2.0
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject:

The nitpicking is becoming a headache. but seriously we're in a Laker forum so of course we're gonna have Undercover trolls.
Alpha

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject:

Osama, believe me when I say I am in total agreement.

When possible, we try to sit in and "moderate" but due to various reasons this isn't always the case.

One thing though, just because something isn't caught at the time of posting doesn't prevent moderators from taking action. With most game threads, we're talking ~25 pages so if you (or anyone) PM's a mod (with a link if possible) then it really, really assists in this matter.

Thanks for your post.

I'll go check out last night's thread.
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject:

A nice hack would be:

A 'report this' button on each post. When used it would simply copy that post with link into a bucket forum that all the mods have access to.

Quick and easy and no 1 mod gets over whelmed.
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject:

A couple of options, I'm sure there are more:

http://www.phpbbhacks.com/download/4965

http://www.phpbbhacks.com/download/568
dna.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject:

i have read and/or participated in a few game threads and haven't seen a disproportionate amount of bashing vs. celebrating and/or analyzing... and I especially do not recall any profanity.

also, and I am not trying to start an argument here, but if you can connect to the internet to read this forum, can you not use one of the dozens of other ways to check the score for a game?

for instance, ESPN gamecast works well in conjunction with LG
http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/scoreboard
(click the gamecast link for whichever game you are interested in)
Alpha

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject:

lakersfreak wrote:
A nice hack would be:

A 'report this' button on each post. When used it would simply copy that post with link into a bucket forum that all the mods have access to.

Quick and easy and no 1 mod gets over whelmed.

Great idea freak!

I've been a member of another site where each mod would get a PM for each time someone hit the button... being an international site (most members 1/2 a day ahead of me) I'd come in with my inbox full of stuff that had already been taken care of.

Also, I recall being a frustrated member looking for a mod to report something only to find none online or engaging in hit or miss PM's (wondering if they'll see my PM before they logged off).

This, if possible would sound like a great addition.
Alpha

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject:

dna. wrote:
i have read and/or participated in a few game threads and haven't seen a disproportionate amount of bashing vs. celebrating and/or analyzing... and I especially do not recall any profanity.

also, and I am not trying to start an argument here, but if you can connect to the internet to read this forum, can you not use one of the dozens of other ways to check the score for a game?

for instance, ESPN gamecast works well in conjunction with LG
http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/scoreboard
(click the gamecast link for whichever game you are interested in)

1st off, thanks for your input... it is truly appreciated.

From the game threads I've read/posted in, there have been more "Laker Player X sucks... is the worst... is a waste of human life..." type posts than seasons past. It's one thing to have disdain but it's quite overwhelming to join a Laker fan site discussion and find that the majority of posts are going this way rather than say "Go Lakers, come on guys, tighten up on D..." or "Opposing Team Player X sucks.. is the worst... drives me nuts..." Do you know what I saying?

As for profanity, this isn't always the case but for some reason a bunch of posters decided that it was okay during the Suns game.

And your comment about getting scores is noted and is a good suggestion. However, some (like myself) enjoy the commaraderie and getting filled in with the information not included on those type of game update sites.
dna.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject:

I think the championship teams have spoiled many a Laker fan. We got accustomed to times when other teams would literally be afraid of playing us. When there was almost no doubt we would win each game. When we could be down 18 pts in the 4th quarter of a playoff game and still come back and win. When 0.4 seconds was more than enough time to rip the heart out of our opponents.

That being said, if there IS an inordinate amount of negativity going on in the game threads, I would just like to suggest the guilty posters grab another beer, take some deep breaths, and let the game play out. Methinks this year's Laker team is really the start of something special and we should all realize how incredibly fortunate we are to have such a historic, legendary franchise to be fans of.

REPPIN 818
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject:

FYI, Alpha just went through the thread PMing users. I got one for cussing out a poster who was bashing Odom after putting up 20 after 3 quarters.

Glad to see Alpha is working though, the post padding in there is ridiculous.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> User Feedback / Report a Bug All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: