LAKERS -at- CLIPPERS - 10/29 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject:

StuLantz#1 wrote:
DB--as someone who watches games particularly close for the sake of recaps, did you get any sense of what adjustments they made on Baron? He looked to be in control early on and imposing his will, then just vanished. Was it fatigue on his part or some mid-game shift in our D? I ask because it's one of those things we'll have to repeat time and again against top teams with strong backcourt players.

I think there was a combination of "team" things, not necessarily a change toward BD. First, we had 6 turnovers in the first quarter, I think they resulted in 7 points. That makes it hard for us to set up our D. Second, the defensive scheme just wasn't being executed very well. You had some guys out of place. It wasn't clicking.

Once we cleaned those two areas out of the system, they locked down.
Jeffs
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject:

^ Agree 100%. I think the Lakers were good defensively all game long. They had 6 TOs in the first quarter which resulted in 9 of the Clippers' 27 points. Take away the fastbreak points that they got off of TOs, and they were pretty much shut down in the half court for the entire game.

I feel like I just watched someone TRULY give 100%. Not the BS I'm-gonna-give-a-110%-just-like-everyone-else-says platitudes, but someone that went until he just....broke. - GT
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject:

^Yep... plus when our second unit comes in, its demoralizing. If teams happen to even keep pace with our starters, thinking they've done a good job... then our second unit comes in and its like a punch in the face.

In the same game, we throw so many looks at an opponent both offensively (half court v. fast break offense) and defensively (length/size zoning v. speed traps) that its going to be extremely difficult for teams to adapt.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
_#1_
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Can you guys imagine this being your season opener? Lose by nearly 40. Having fans cheering for the other team? Toughest job in the NBA must be in Clipper marketing.

Heisler:
Quote:
It's nice to report the Clippers crowd was forgiving. No matter how bad things got for the "home team," the fans never booed.

They were too busy chanting "Let's go, Lakers!" and when Bryant shot free throws, "MVP!"

Link

DB, can you imagine being Baron Davis? Hometown kid grew up dying to be a Laker. Almost traded here and was thrilled about it until Mitch & Co. take a pass. Loves to play with Kobe, who wouldn't? Watching Fish take hopeless drives to the basket and thinking what is this guy doing, I can do that with Kobe drawing the double, not him. So instead he ends up dating the ugly sister, so close yet so far.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject:

_#1_ - I think he's got to be a little envious of Farmar. That's the path that he wanted to take. ...And he probably wants to punch Elton Brand.
Rick12322
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject:

ShowTime!
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject:

Baron got paid. I am sure Pierce wanted to be a Laker but money smooth things over.
MSU2mike
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:05 am    Post subject:

osj wrote:
Throughout the last two years, I have repeatedly tried to remind LGers of how good Mihm can be, especially on offense. I'm happy for him that it looks like he may really be back.

Agreed. If Chris Mihm is healthy and he's essentially your team's #3 center, you've got a deep frontcourt. He's an asset, and if Bynum or Gasol tweak an ankle and have to sit for a few games he's more than capable of holding down the fort. There surely isn't another team in the league with a 3rd C as talented as Mihm.
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject:

I just realized the bench is averaging 45.5 ppg. Dayum.

Portland: 36 pts
Clippers: 55 pts

Now that's what I call quality depth!

Kobe, if you are a lurker of LG at all, please opt out and give the Lakers a discount so that we can keep this team together for at least 5 years. If you do that, you will have more rings than MJ and be considered the GOAT by millions - including people who don't like you for no good reason.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:41 am    Post subject:

MSU2mike wrote:
If Chris Mihm is healthy and he's essentially your team's #3 center, you've got a deep frontcourt. He's an asset, and if Bynum or Gasol tweak an ankle and have to sit for a few games he's more than capable of holding down the fort. There surely isn't another team in the league with a 3rd C as talented as Mihm.
Agree. This highlights the point is that the Lakers' strength is its bench, along with a consistent killer closer (as was "also" - hehehe - stated by Sir Charles). They agree that the Lakers have a viable/talented backup at EVERY position. fyi: Hopefully LO will embrace being the leader of the 2nd team while also being the wild card - resulting from his ability to fill in at either PF, SF or PG with mismatches at every position!

It will be interesting when the Lakers meet the Hornets, Jazz, Celtics and Pistons to see how far they have gone.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: