LAKERS -at- HORNETS - 11/12 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:12 am    Post subject:

LakersMD wrote:
RCS926 wrote:
Kobe: Up until the 4th, even though Kobe was struggling from the field, I would not have characterized his game against NO as a bad one. However, his shot selection (taking contested shots in traffic) and decision-making (dribbling the ball too long without making decisive moves) in the 4th left a lot to be desired. I’m glad Phil called Kobe out for that 4th quarter performance because even the Lakers were lethargic offensively to close out the game, Kobe’s overdribbling and poor shot selection was not what the team needed. NO basically knew that Kobe was going to dominate the ball and take all the shots, so they basically loaded up on him. It’s up to Kobe to recognize what the defense is doing. To be fair, he did find Pau and LO for a couple of wide open jumpers each in the 4th, which they both clanked, but I’d still like to see better end-game management from Kobe. Kobe simply needs to take better shots at the end of games and make a better attempt at getting his teammates involved as well. Playing team ball for 3 quarters and then turning into a blackhole in the 4th isn’t a recipe for success, and I know Kobe will make the adjustment.

I think part of that blame lies with Phil. That sideline pick-and-roll play that he calls ad nauseum in the fourth quarter basically stops all ball movement, and has only two outcomes - zero passes and Kobe taking a contested jumper or one pass to a shooter and hoping they make it.

It is very predictable, and it drives me crazy.

Hopefully, Phil addresses the offensive execution at the end of close games. Kobe played similarly against Denver and Dallas, and although he had more success against those teams, I still don't think it's a winning strategy to let Kobe go 1-on-5 to close games.
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject:

Kobe does not deserve the smoking red face. It's understandable that your shot does not fall every night. That happens. But he had too much to do with the fourth quarter letdown - as explained already.

And it's noteworthy how the Hornets run starts right after Bynum got pulled out of the game in the middle of the third....

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
Sister Golden Hair
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject:

Looked to me like the team just stopped running their normal offense in the fourth. I'm not sure why. When kobe goes into "force it" mode, often much of the balme can be laid at the feet of teammates who bbecome visibly reticent about shooting or being otherwise aggressive on offense. They expect to be bailed out by Kobe who, to his credit, usually comes through. But their sets in the fourth were just ugly. Lots of standing around amnd watching. You knew a run was coming because this team often let leads slip last year -- big leads -- and that habit especially came back to hanut them in the finals. Their mentality when they have a 20 point lead has to be 'let's get it up toi 30 or 40." Instead, they just go into shut-down mode and other teams crawl back into the game.

Phil wants them to develop that killer instinct and make the other team surrender mentally. NO almost did by the start of the 4th. But The lakers laid down atoo quickly after Sasha's opening steal, and you knew a Byron Scott coached-team will play until the end.

In actuality, the lakers controlled that game from the opening tap and, yes, although it's early in the season, the lakers look to be almost toying with even good teams.

They need to just maintain focus until the other team gives up mentally. NO was a good test because it taught the lakers that they can't assume a big lead is safe lead.

SGH
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject:

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
Looked to me like the team just stopped running their normal offense in the fourth. I'm not sure why. When kobe goes into "force it" mode, often much of the balme can be laid at the feet of teammates who bbecome visibly reticent about shooting or being otherwise aggressive on offense. They expect to be bailed out by Kobe who, to his credit, usually comes through. But their sets in the fourth were just ugly. Lots of standing around amnd watching. You knew a run was coming because this team often let leads slip last year -- big leads -- and that habit especially came back to hanut them in the finals. Their mentality when they have a 20 point lead has to be 'let's get it up toi 30 or 40." Instead, they just go into shut-down mode and other teams crawl back into the game.

Phil wants them to develop that killer instinct and make the other team surrender mentally. NO almost did by the start of the 4th. But The lakers laid down atoo quickly after Sasha's opening steal, and you knew a Byron Scott coached-team will play until the end.

In actuality, the lakers controlled that game from the opening tap and, yes, although it's early in the season, the lakers look to be almost toying with even good teams.

They need to just maintain focus until the other team gives up mentally. NO was a good test because it taught the lakers that they can't assume a big lead is safe lead.

SGH

Great post. No matter how the game was finished, the Lakers still earned a great win and proved their dominance. As for the 4th quarter execution, it became stagnant long before Kobe entered the game. That's not something you'd expect when you have the 2nd unit plus Pau on the floor. I'm sure the Lakers will learn from their lesson after last night's disappointint close.
Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject:

Great win, no doubt, but the troubles in the 4th only shows that there's still room for growth or greater emphasis on stamina.

Even though we've seen him do it time and time again, Kobe's 3 ball seemed awfully lucky. The team does, too often, look to him to close out games. The offensive flow sputtered just as it did in Dallas when Stack's overplaying Kobe disrupted the tri. At this early stage, it's just another thing to be mindful of and to work on.
slippy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject:

Agreed. A lot of people are talking about the defense in isolation of the offense, but people need to remember that Phil teams also rely on running their offense to facilitate their HC defense. They rely on this more than true defense-centric teams like Boston or Detroit, both teams who BTW also have problems protecting leads from time to time.

Without Bynum anchoring the middle, running the offense becomes even more important. The Lakers also weren't rebounding in the 4th (due to the bad positioning of the bigs from, again, not running their offense), and so weren't able to eat up the clock.

Again, a lot of things to work on. It isn't any one player. And that all said, Lakers were this close to destroying perhaps the 2nd best team in the West. 7-0
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject:

slippy wrote:
Agreed. A lot of people are talking about the defense in isolation of the offense, but people need to remember that Phil teams also rely on running their offense to facilitate their HC defense. They rely on this more than true defense-centric teams like Boston or Detroit, both teams who BTW also have problems protecting leads from time to time.

Without Bynum anchoring the middle, running the offense becomes even more important. The Lakers also weren't rebounding in the 4th (due to the bad positioning of the bigs from, again, not running their offense), and so weren't able to eat up the clock.

Again, a lot of things to work on. It isn't any one player. And that all said, Lakers were this close to destroying perhaps the 2nd best team in the West. 7-0

In my book, the Lakers did destroy the Hornets. I don't give NO any credit for their 4th quarter comeback because frankly, the Lakers simply quit playing.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject:

I'm impressed with how shamelessly CP3 and several other Hornets pulled the Paul Pierce (clearly jumping into the defender looking for the whistle).

I was surprised Paul didn't get called for an offensive foul on that rebound where he jumped sideways from a stand still right into Pau looking for the foul. Fortunately Bynum made him eat it .

I've seen that a lot this season. Pierce must have made it more popular by getting away with it so much last year. Brandon Roy did it all game long in the season opener.
jbjb
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject:

Lakers, coming off a hard fought game in Dallas on the second night of a back to back, came out steaming and dominated for three quarters. The Hornets are maybe the second best team in the conference playing on their own floor with plenty of rest.

Let up or no, the fact that the Lakers held them off in the fourth despite all of the above is quite a feat. Enjoy it!
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
I'm impressed with how shamelessly CP3 and several other Hornets pulled the Paul Pierce (clearly jumping into the defender looking for the whistle).

I was surprised Paul didn't get called for an offensive foul on that rebound where he jumped sideways from a stand still right into Pau looking for the foul. Fortunately Bynum made him eat it .

I've seen that a lot this season. Pierce must have made it more popular by getting away with it so much last year. Brandon Roy did it all game long in the season opener.

Paul was definitely Bibby-esque in terms of faking contact last night. I also thought he was padding his stats in the 4th. It's fortunate for him that the Lakers went into sleep mode because it didn't look as obvious when NO was able to cut the lead down a bit...
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:

All the good players do it, including Kobe.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject:

Texas_Pete wrote:
Thanks DB! My Laker hating Celtic loving cousin was speechless last night!

Always good to hear from the Laker hating Celtic loving cousin after big Laker wins.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject:

s_habe wrote:
Kobe does not deserve the smoking red face. It's understandable that your shot does not fall every night. That happens. But he had too much to do with the fourth quarter letdown - as explained already.

He gets the because just when the Hornets think they have a chance, he sucked the life out of them with one shot. Damn you, Devil!!!
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject:

Sister Golden Hair wrote:

SGH

I think that's a good point. From what was reported, Kobe was trying to urge the guys to do just that early in the fourth. I think he was aware that the Hornets didn't reach their mental breaking point yet.
Alpha

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the great effort DB!

I was thinking a meltdown (even in defeat) at this point of the season wouldn't have been the worse thing. Getting the "W" and the poor ending maybe the best of both worlds. Going 6-0 and dominating the 1st half didn't do much in having the team play in the most adverse of situations. This will only help in allowing the players to understand that they have much more to learn and develop over the long season. IMO it was a good/fortunately gracious wake-up call.
mefor3
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject:

lazy 4th due to back to back games...at least I hope it's because of that.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: