MAVS -at- LAKERS - 11/28 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:47 am    Post subject:

Great game! I'm glad they showed some fire.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject:

KingKobe wrote:
Was I the only one who heard Ariza say we gotta get the (k)nicks out of our system? It's kinks, Trevor. Kinks.

Or was it a fruedian slip about a certian wayward franchise from Ariza's past?

Good catch!
yanyon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject:

my sincere thanks to you sir DB... i give you the for this article.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Tony Almeida wrote:

The team is good, very good. I don't expect them to hold every team under 100, and I don't expect them to play with energy 48 minutes a game, every game. But, picking and choosing when to bring it on both ends isn't a great habit to develop, especially for a young team.

They've got to stay hungry. I think some of them see the big picture and want that chance for HCA in the Finals...but Phil is going to have to play jockey and whip these guys until it dawns on them that the target is just getting bigger and teams are going to bring everything they have.

Kobe and Pau have been playing almost non-stop basketball for the last 13 months, and they're getting more minutes than anyone else on the team. They were both a bit flat-footed until Q3 and it seemed to rub off on the rest of the Lakers (with huge exceptions for LO and Ariza who flat-out hustled.) I have to think there's a tendency for players to pace themselves. Perhaps its a bit of a survival mechanism for Kobe and Pau considering it's only November and we've still got 84 games to go before we hold the trophy up in Boston. If that's the case, I can definitely see this team peaking defensively come playoff time, as Kobe indicated, IF the rest of the team doesn't turn complacent.

Like you and others here I really don't see a reason for Odom to be spending less than mid-30's minutes on the floor. He's playing well enough right now. If the Impaler and the Machine can show up, step it up, and earn more consistent minutes that would take some pressure off Kobe and Pau to carry us to HCA in the finals as well. Also, if Ariza could hustle for 30 minutes a night the way he does for 22, we'll have that much more balance and we'll be a force in June.

Last edited by TooMuchMajicBuss on Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:29 am; edited 2 times in total
prisma8slg
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject:

thanks DB

"I've seen it all. Sasha dunked on somebody," Kobe Bryant said. "I'm ready to retire now."
PakaLOLO
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject:

Whats up with Farmars D. He is getting burn by every speedy guard and would get out muscle by the bigger guards. Some want him to start but i dont think hes ready to guard 1st string players when i see him getting burn by 2 string guards.

Great recap. Thank you!
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject:

PakaLOLO wrote:
Whats up with Farmars D. He is getting burn by every speedy guard and would get out muscle by the bigger guards. Some want him to start but i dont think hes ready to guard 1st string players when i see him getting burn by 2 string guards.

He and Pau were lost last night on their screen-roll D. Neither did a good job. Farmar never made Barea a shooter to try to stay in front of him. If that's not what the coach wants, understandable. But he also got worked without use of a screen, not keeping his man in front of him, very flat-footed play. And, he didn't do a very good job of recovering on those screens, got stuck behind the guard and stayed there instead of trying to get even with him. Coaches specifically mentioned our high screen D at halftime and the guys seemed to improve on it just enough. Still, this is probably our soft spot.
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for your efforts DB. Much appreciated. Speaking of efforts, I was not to happy with the Lakers' effort in that first half and beginning of the 3rd last night. It seems like they have a "light switch" mentality. This could burn them in the future when they play Boston. It's early, so I won't complain too much considering we're 13-1. I just don't like it that we are winning moreso by talent rather than execution on both sides of the ball.

/End of nitpicking.

It might be time to start Ariza with KGB...
jordanplusone
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:12 am    Post subject:

I just watched Lakers at Mavs game again when they met the 1st time this season, and I noticed that Ariza, and of course Kobe, were the main forces behind that win.

Is Ariza becoming the Mavs-spirit killer??
Addicus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
PakaLOLO wrote:

He and Pau were lost last night on their screen-roll D. Neither did a good job. Farmar never made Barea a shooter to try to stay in front of him. If that's not what the coach wants, understandable. But he also got worked without use of a screen, not keeping his man in front of him, very flat-footed play. And, he didn't do a very good job of recovering on those screens, got stuck behind the guard and stayed there instead of trying to get even with him. Coaches specifically mentioned our high screen D at halftime and the guys seemed to improve on it just enough. Still, this is probably our soft spot.

From what I can see the Lakers have a problem guarding the one thing they can't duplicate in practice: blazing speed in the PG position coming off the pick and roll. Most of our pick and rolls come using Kobe and we play more of a spread offense with the second unit. So we get into a game where that is the opposition's bread and butter and don't adust until the 2nd half. A lot of it is a lack of energy also.

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/addicusbrown
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: