LAKERS -at- TWOLVES - 2/22 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JJ81
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:02 am    Post subject:

Farmar got his career high in steals, which is cool
Addicus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject:

A win is a win is a win. A lot of people are complaining about the defense, but this team always struggles with small/fast teams. Telfair was always a good player but never coached right in the NBA. Scary to say Lurch is actually a good coach. The Wolves are playing to their strengths and look like they enjoy playing ball now.
---
Now to the real team. The problem with Kobe on the post and not having a real knock down shooter on the weak side is Lamar is often at the top of the key eliminating his offensive rebounding. His rebounding is key to this team getting second chance shots, especially since he converts most of those boards into points. New Orleans ans Minnesota basically packed the paint, owned the defensive boards and gave their guards an opportunity to run or at least see where the early offense could be taken.
---
Ariza needs to just square up and shoot. He is trying to incorporate things he's learned from Kobe but needs more practice.
---
Farmar has too learn change of pace.
---
Powell will be fine. He is missing some rebounds he usually gets. I'm not worried.
---
I know a lot of people disagree, but I feel the trades have really weakened our depth and changed how the team operates on the offensive, which we all know is the engine that makes this train go.

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/addicusbrown
Legacy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject:

Great stuff DB.

Awesome read.
Qsmiff
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject:

Addicus wrote:

Quote:
I know a lot of people disagree, but I feel the trades have really weakened our depth and changed how the team operates on the offensive, which we all know is the engine that makes this train go.

?????????????? HUH!!! One trade was a 2 for 1 for a guy that was buried on the bench(fairly or un fairly) and surely you can't mean we are missing Mihm......What is starting to show is how much we miss Andrew and the domino effect of LO not running a lot with the second unit and Sasha shot disappearing
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:20 am    Post subject:

Qsmiff wrote:
Addicus wrote:

Quote:

?????????????? HUH!!! One trade was a 2 for 1 for a guy that was buried on the bench(fairly or un fairly) and surely you can't mean we are missing Mihm......What is starting to show is how much we miss Andrew and the domino effect of LO not running a lot with the second unit and Sasha shot disappearing

It is 100% true that we are missing Big Drew. As great as LO is playing, the D looks like it has a huge hole in the middle without Drew. Even some of our other players seem like they don't play as intense for fear of getting beat off the dribble, like Trevor, and like Powell a bit.

Speaking of Powell, i think he needs to stop trying so hard to score. The Last 2 games he seems to be trying to create his own shot, which is not what we need from him, we need hustle plays and offense that we wouldn't have got otherwise. If we are running offense, we run it for players who are better scorers than him, and that's not a disrespect to him, but his role in the team isn't to score.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:27 am    Post subject:

Addicus wrote:

Phil wasn't using Mihm anyway and Vlad would only be playing out there instead of Powell to an extent. I don't think our struggles have anything to do with the trades but rather the inability of us to keep either of Pau/Bynum out there at all times and the fact LO barely plays with the bench these days, where he is most needed. That's my largest criticism of PJ right now - he needs to keep LO out there with the bench, not Pau.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
Addicus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:40 am    Post subject:

Mihm was effective on the boards grabbing 6 or 7 per game in limited minutes. Don't fool yourself into thinking not having a dead eye shooter on the weakside is not having an effect on how teams play defense. It doesn't have to be Vlad, it could be Sasha but the Machine is mascalibrated right now so trading the dead eye shooter is hurting. Understand?
---
Kobe's on the block, Lamar's at top of the key and Pau is on the weakside so the double on Pau now comes from the wing with very little retribution. That's why he looks so unaggressive, because he is crowded now. Luckily he can shoot. Utah started it, Atlanta had foul trouble and couldn't, but N.O. and Minnesota followed suit. Expect to see it a lot. That's why we don't see the over the top passes from Pau to Lamar. Lamar isn't in the paint.
---
The counter is Luke on top, Fish on the wing but that causes cross matches and takes Luke out of his comfort zone which is 17ft and in and away from the boards.
---
So once again the trade has hurt our offense because we don't have someone to stretch the defense on the weakside. The guy who was a threat to come off the bench at anytime isn't available at all and teams have adjusted. It doesn't matter if so and so was buried on the bench if he was a threat to play. Teams had to make sure they didn't get caught up trapping from the wings because it could hurt them. Now they don't unless Sasha returns to last year's form.

LakerSanity

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject:

The "dead eye" shooter wasn't playing... he wasn't taking away minutes from Luke or Ariza. It's not like you would plug in Vlad instead of Sasha as they play two different positions.

Your argument for Vlad only works if Phil would have played him... Phil wasn't playing him which is the reason he was traded in the first place. He wasn't playing before, he isn't playing now. He might as well still be on the team because the effect is the exact same. That's the point.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
*Purple&Gold*
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject:

Texas_Pete wrote:
Anybody see PJ's comments in LA Times about the T'Wolves nets?

Quote:
Jackson, always looking to gain the psychological edge, started in on the Timberwolves before the game even began, claiming they were using illegal nets to feed into the small, quick style of play they've had to adopt since center Al Jefferson was lost for the season because of a torn knee ligament.

"They're trying to score a lot of points. You'll notice their nets are 'fast' nets out there, which are not regulation nets," Jackson said. "They're all wide so the ball just goes through without any disruption of the flight of the ball. They want to get the ball and run."

Source

That's messed up if true.

I wonder...is that anything like Muhammed Ali`s trainers loosening up the ropes for the Foreman fight? lol
Addicus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
The "dead eye" shooter wasn't playing... he wasn't taking away minutes from Luke or Ariza. It's not like you would plug in Vlad instead of Sasha as they play two different positions.

Your argument for Vlad only works if Phil would have played him... Phil wasn't playing him which is the reason he was traded in the first place. He wasn't playing before, he isn't playing now. He might as well still be on the team because the effect is the exact same. That's the point.

It's not about what position they play, but where the player is effective from. Sasha used to be dead eye from the corner, but now he's not. None of this matters if Kobe's not on the block because he is the person teams don't leave. This is when Kobe's on the block. The guy doubling is rarely Fish's man. It's almost always the person from the wing. That's why Luke had that wide open 3 last night. Teams are crashing on Kobe and Pau from the wings now and we have no counter until someone starts nailing the wide open shots from there. BTW the guys crashing from the wings are usually bigger, longer players who rebound better also.

Addicus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:40 pm    Post subject:

In fact I'm rewatching the Atlanta game and Kobe is rarely on the post. Pau and LO have so much more room to operate (face ups for Pau, slashing/driving for LO). That's the counter I prefer because Kobe can get his shot from nearly anywhere at anytime and he does well cutting when Pau has the ball.

Laker7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject:

I hope MBenga gets some more playing time. I am worried about Pau getting worn out too early in the season and with Powell having some so-so night, it may be time to play DJ some more.
ecksor
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject:

As usual, a joy to read. Thanks, DB

Who is my avatar? Kharunisia
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:15 pm    Post subject:

Thanks again DB! Let's see... Minnesota minus Jefferson. Perfect game for a letdown. I'm glad we're outta there. Let's hope they execute better against OKC tomorrow.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: