LAKERS -at- JAZZ - 4/23 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arizona
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:03 am    Post subject:

RhodyRay wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Horribly played game - you can find fault with almost every Laker apart from 2.

However, we had the game in our hands and it showed the superiority of the Lakers.

Lets get game 4 - I think we can take it because Utah won't be fighting as hard and nearly as desperate.

Seems LA doesn't need to bring more than their B game to beat Utah.

And yesterday, was more like a C- or D game and we still had it ... these type of games happen in the playoffs. Just gotta come back next game with a better effort and level of execution.

I agree the Lakers without a doubt should have won that game. That is what disappoints me. As bad as the Lakers played--the Jazz played worse for being on their homecourt and down 0-2. The Jazz did not want to win that game but neither did the Lakers. Now the Jazz can make this a series by winning Sat.

Bynum played dumb basketball. He had two crap calls against him but he has got to learn to not try to block everything when you are in foul trouble. Some stuff you just let go, weather the storm and bring it on for the 4th quarter. The Lakers MUST know that all their bigs will get cheap fouls on the road in the playoffs. Always has been that way.

I don't blame refs for this game at all. They sucked equally all the way around. Lakers bricking FT after FT and NOT rebounding lost them this game. They played with no pride at all. I see no leadership on this team. This game the Lakers SHOULD have won if only they executed on one or two plays at the end. I just fail to see the mental and physical toughness from this team. You can only win on skill for so long. Kobe shooting a low percentage in the playoffs has to stop soon I hope. I don't like what I am seeing and I know have doubts if this team will win it all this year. They easily can---but WILL they??
Yeah, the refs were fine. Definitely not an issue in this game.

“You’ve got to play with pride and guts.” -LO
Arizona
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:30 am    Post subject:

Nice post, SGH. I agree with a lot of what you say. I wouldn't say I've soured on them, I'm just disappointed. I thought they would be much hungrier and play more aggressive. I though LO's post game interview was spot on when he seemed to be really upset even though they won (not sure if it was after game 1 or game 2) and was harping about not playing defense and that that's where their focus should be and everyone will get their shots and the 'hoohay and the hoopla' but that it all comes down to defense and rebounding. That's what wins championships. The offense will come and go as we saw last night, but if we defend and rebound we will be in a better position to win every game.

“You’ve got to play with pride and guts.” -LO
Nnamdi21
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject:

I agree with SGH. This team is missing something and will come back to haunt them vs a better team nuggets, blazers, rockets, cavs . For the kobe sagging on his opponent strategy, I hate the living crap out of it! Its not like we get any better with him sagging off, its just lazy Defense and for a MVP/best player in the league, its mind boggling that he is allowed to do that. He stunk it up with his shooting and sags off his man? Sometimes I wish we had someone to step up to kobe and rip him some for his effort defensively. All im asking him to do is play basic non-gambling D for a damn series or 2. dissapointed big time in kobe.
Mr. EiGhTy-OnE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject:

Arizona wrote:
Mr. EiGhTy-OnE wrote:
-when kobe started to heat up in the 3rd, i had a strange feeling he would shoot us out of it in the 4th
-key play: sasha losing korver and giving up a 3 to cut the lead from 11 to 8 at the end of the 3rd. that gave them the momentum to go on the 4th qtr run.
-lamar has been a beast lately. i knew he had a good game but didnt realize he had a 21/14 until after the game. we should have given in more touches down the stretch
-d-fish offense has been killing us. heat check 3s and going at ak47 and deron on a 1 on 2 break is unacceptable. his defense on d-will has been good, but shannon,kobe, or trevor should have been on deron on that last play
-the refs completely took drew out of game 3 with their BS calls
-too many fouls called (on both sides)
-pau missing those 2 free throws were huge, but deron missed a lot too to even it out
-dont know why phil brought sasha and luke in to start the 4th
-paus gotta man up and stop getting stripped in the post and giving up 22 rebounds to boozer. he doesnt always get back on D after a blown call or turnover.refs also cant let boozer keep pushing off or hooking
-another bs call... kobe's charge. millsap might have been planted but korver wasnt. he slid into kobe before kobe ran into paul.
-its safe to say kobe wont shoot 5-24 again this year
-im not as mad as i usually am after a loss. we still were 1 shot away from winning the game even though we played so poorly

*good to be back from my self-imposed 2 week ban for losing at the rose garden again. i wish i could have returned to a 3-0 series lead, oh well. we'll get 'em on saturday!!

thanks DB
Don't ban yourself, 81! LG is a better place with you here. I enjoy reading your posts.

thanks. i dont think ill do that again. that was a long 2 weeks, especially with the excitement of the playoffs. just my luck to come back after a loss
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:10 am    Post subject:

Ack! Looks like someone merged Addicus's post in here. Two different conversations going on...
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:50 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Ack! Looks like someone merged Addicus's post in here. Two different conversations going on...

That was me... it had fallen off the front page and I thought it deserved to get some more attention. He used to post those in this thread, so I thought maybe this was the right spot.

I suppose I could have just replied in his thread, but sometimes I am not the smartest chicken in the henhouse.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject:

Ah. No problem. Just was hard to follow if people were talking to me or him. A little "bump" would have been fine, too.

ReaListik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Did U See That?

Addicus wrote:
DID U SEE THAT? 3/23/09
-
Lakers @ Jazz Rd 1 Western Conference Playoffs
-
What's up LG? I haven't written this piece since 12-9-08. The season has been fantastic. Yet tonight I saw something. Something I believe will haunt this Laker team and keep them from winning a ring. It's not talent, desire, ability or even the fact they lost. No. What I saw tonight was a lack of proper leadership and guidance. Did you see that?
-
First let me explain I didn't watch all of the game. I listened to the last 9 minutes on the radio and caught the last 30 seconds at home. Some people may ask how can I make my point without watching the complete game. Easy. In this particular game my point became evident in the last 8 or 9 minutes. This was the crux of the game and where the point was driven home like a stake through Dracul's heart.
-
So what's the point? It's something I've never said or felt ever unitl this game. I don't think Kobe will win a ring being the alpha male. He is capable, but he has one major flaw and that is he wants it too bad. He desire is blinding him and pushing him to a point where he is fighting himself like Luke in the cave during Yoda's training.
-
I have my flame stunted suit on so start spitting. I'm not some rash fan just panicking. Naw. I'm a basketball junkie who understands you can't, won't and don't need to win every game. What you must do is play the game properly. Kobe did not do that tonight and rhe blame falls square on the shoulders of him and Phil.
-
Kobe is to blame 30% because he knows what to do but he hungers for the challenge of coming up big. When Boozer returned to the game with 6:30 left in the game the Lakers should have feed Gasol in the mid or low post every trip. Instead Kobe forced shots, Fisher forced shots and they feed Ariza on the perimeter instead of playing inside out. Kobe is the floor leader so he gets the blame. His shot was off but he didn't adjust and take advantage of the mismatch. If the Jazz double Pau down low then Lamar, Kobe and Ariza all have open driving lanes or Fish can get an uncontested shot. Smart basketball even if predictable.
-
Phil gets 70% of the blame. He should have hammered that philosophy into his team. He had 3 timeouts. Boozer can't handle Gasol. Exploit it. I know Phil likes his players to make the decisions, but sometimes the coach just has to put his foot down. Feed the post!
-
I witnessed bad coaching and bad leadership and what I fear most is neither Kobe or Phil will adjust. Life has enough challenges naturally. There is no need to invent or create them. Take the easy wins. Play smart.

Peace
ADDICUS BROWN

I agree with you Addicus on everything you said, especially about Kobe. I think that's actually the main reason that the 3-Peat Lakers had success is because there was a bigger sliverback gorilla on the team to go up against the other silverback and wouldn't back down.

Sometimes I think that with all the (bleep) that's been thrown at Kobe since he entered the league that he sees these "end of the game" scenarios as an opportunity to go for the jugular and crush the opponent in front of the world as to say, "Who's next?" I'm hoping that he stops that and looks for the most efficient play in the closing seconds of the game.

Game 4 is going to be a tough one, the Jazz are coming off a close win and have momentum built up from that Deron Williams game-winner, and now it's on the Lakers to rise up and beat them in their building and finish it off in Staples.
StuLantz#1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject:

Rick12322 wrote:
I agree, we played horrible, but should have still won. Those 4 fouls on Bynum were robbery, pure and simple. No excuse for those ref hacks doing that. Now, the problem is, Utah also had a horrible game and still won. They won't be as horrible next time. It was an opportunity the refs stole from us for $$$$, pure and simple.

I hate the way refs set the tone and choose to focus their attention one way while turning a blind eye to something else. Whether or not you think Bynum is committing fouls, you could probably call a lot of those ticky tacks against some of the Utah players. But based on what we've seen in the series Bynum is a guy they just decided on singling out. They just decided to zero in on Bynum and not to call the weak stuff on someone from the Jazz. That's why the officials are such failures even when they try to keep the FT disparity even.

I sometimes wonder why I hardly ever get frustrated from the umpiring in baseball when every pitch is based on someone's subjective opinion, but it's because you rarely see major bias leaning in one way or particular guys getting singled out. That's always so transparent in the NBA.
StuLantz#1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject:

On an unrelated note, it's interesting that Boozer is playing so well. He was terrible against us last playoffs, and now he's dominating. Wonder what changed. They're going to miss him if they let him walk (maybe that's the incentive that's changed!)
Mr. EiGhTy-OnE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:53 pm    Post subject:

^foul trouble
StuLantz#1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject:

Actually, I checked and he averaged like 37 minutes a game against us last postseason. He certainly got off a lot of shots against us too, but shot terribly:

5-16
6-16
5-15
12-21
3-10
6-14

I've never promoted the "move Bynum to the bench" argument because otherwise we're last year's losing team (we already kind of are since he's always in foul trouble anyway), but here's a theory: Odom's defense prevented him from getting in a rhythm early on last year, but by the time Odom checks in off the bench now Boozer is already feeling it given the little resistance from other Laker defenders.
Nnamdi21
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject:

Turiaf also did a nice job on him, maybe powell should get some time
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject:

We haven't seen Bynum on Boozer a lot, which I think is a HUGE mistake by Phil if for no other reason than rebounding. No way Boozer gets any of those inside shots or rebounds if Bynum is on him. Yes, I hear the foul trouble argument coming, but personally I would tell Bynum to lay off, let Boozer shot the Js, and simply let his length close in on those jumpers.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
targetman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Did U See That?

Addicus wrote:
DID U SEE THAT? 3/23/09
-
Lakers @ Jazz Rd 1 Western Conference Playoffs
-
What's up LG? I haven't written this piece since 12-9-08. The season has been fantastic. Yet tonight I saw something. Something I believe will haunt this Laker team and keep them from winning a ring. It's not talent, desire, ability or even the fact they lost. No. What I saw tonight was a lack of proper leadership and guidance. Did you see that?
-
First let me explain I didn't watch all of the game. I listened to the last 9 minutes on the radio and caught the last 30 seconds at home. Some people may ask how can I make my point without watching the complete game. Easy. In this particular game my point became evident in the last 8 or 9 minutes. This was the crux of the game and where the point was driven home like a stake through Dracul's heart.
-
So what's the point? It's something I've never said or felt ever unitl this game. I don't think Kobe will win a ring being the alpha male. He is capable, but he has one major flaw and that is he wants it too bad. He desire is blinding him and pushing him to a point where he is fighting himself like Luke in the cave during Yoda's training.
-
I have my flame stunted suit on so start spitting. I'm not some rash fan just panicking. Naw. I'm a basketball junkie who understands you can't, won't and don't need to win every game. What you must do is play the game properly. Kobe did not do that tonight and rhe blame falls square on the shoulders of him and Phil.
-
Kobe is to blame 30% because he knows what to do but he hungers for the challenge of coming up big. When Boozer returned to the game with 6:30 left in the game the Lakers should have feed Gasol in the mid or low post every trip. Instead Kobe forced shots, Fisher forced shots and they feed Ariza on the perimeter instead of playing inside out. Kobe is the floor leader so he gets the blame. His shot was off but he didn't adjust and take advantage of the mismatch. If the Jazz double Pau down low then Lamar, Kobe and Ariza all have open driving lanes or Fish can get an uncontested shot. Smart basketball even if predictable.
-
Phil gets 70% of the blame. He should have hammered that philosophy into his team. He had 3 timeouts. Boozer can't handle Gasol. Exploit it. I know Phil likes his players to make the decisions, but sometimes the coach just has to put his foot down. Feed the post!
-
I witnessed bad coaching and bad leadership and what I fear most is neither Kobe or Phil will adjust. Life has enough challenges naturally. There is no need to invent or create them. Take the easy wins. Play smart.

Peace
ADDICUS BROWN

"Flame stunted?" nuff said
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:04 am    Post subject:

Hmm - imagine if the Lakers had won with
** Kobe shooting terrible throughout the game
** Pau missing foul shots
** Pau being outmuscled by Boozer
** Bynum only playing 7 minutes
** Sasha not shooting well
** Luke getting torched by Harpering
** Refs allowing the Jazz to play their style
** Lakers failing to match the Jazz's energy

It might be a recipe for the Lakers to fail deeper into the playoffs where the consequences are much higher. Maybe this is why the Lakers have PJ as coach, since he is paid to win the Finals (not necessarily every playoff game - noting that Magic's "Showtime" teams once won every playoff game with the intensity that everyone desired that ended when BScott and Magic both got injuried - alos see how the Celtics are doing after their great start).

Of course, one does not want to lose games - but that is life. The Jazz needed this game much more than the Lakers - while the Lakers are still learning what it takes to win. It should be noted that - outside of PJ, Kobe and DFish - they don't know what it takes to win a ring. They do know how to get embarrassed in The Finals and hopefully this will motivate them.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: