ROCKETS -at- LAKERS - 5/12 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 6:39 am    Post subject:

Rick12322 wrote:
Wolf, think in terms of the units we put on the floor. When the second unit has Bynum as opposed to LO, it is much less effective. LO with his speed and versatility helps the second unit tremendously, and is a better match for Farmar's open court game. My point is about our rotations. When Kobe responded, he wasn't thinking in those terms, he was thinking in the terms you're thinking of. See what I'm saying?

Yes, I do.

Bynum atleast stands a chance of making an impact as a starter. Off the bench, there is almost no chance (for whatever reason). I don't disagree with that.

The 2nd unit does play better with LO.

Agree. Now lets go win 9 straight with this rotation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
limchrc
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 6:58 am    Post subject:

Great win. Let's close it out in Houston.
-Yo-
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:17 am    Post subject:

Isaiah wrote:
i was watching sasha closely and noticed his wide open shots are noticeably flat compared to last year. if he only put more arc on it....

Absolutely. I've been saying this for months now... Also he releases the ball too far in front of his body, and this tendency gets worse the quicker he releases. When he's wide open he should just plant his feet and take a set shot.

Vujabrick's shooting in 2009 Playoffs: 13/54 (24%)

That's BADDDDDD.

He's got two more series to show some shooting ability. Otherwise the Lakers should ship his azz out to whoever is willing to take him.
Vishnu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:23 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the recap DB.

You gave JF a dancing tomato? I thought those were reserved for Sasha.
Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 8:52 am    Post subject:

Finally, the Lakers give the Rockets the ugly stepchild treatment.

Hey, look, it's an Andrew Bynum sighting. He played big, showing signs of life. We all forget that this is his first true playoff test, plus he's not working at 100%. Still, he's gotta deliver impact minutes, offensively and defensively.

Pau delivered bodyblows in the post. Finally, the Lakers looked to work thru him. Waiting for him to scream: "Brian Cook, you can't guard me."

ShanWow has created a spot for himself. His 3-ball has been money. 62.5% in the playoffs. Shan

JoFar seems to have control of himself again. Maybe he's found his niche against speed demons. Then again, he should be familiar with Brooks from the Pac10 days.

Sasha = MIA.

Kobe = True MVP. I especially liked his business-like demeanor after the game. The team better pick up on his intensity and put an end to this series in Game 6.
Burgundy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 8:54 am    Post subject:

Guys - I said it yesterday before the game when someone posted the officials for last night's game:

If I were a betting man, as soon as I saw Bennett Salvatore's name, I would have put $10,000 on the Lakers.

If the league wants the home team to win Salvatore or Bavetta are lead refs (Bavetta was lead ref on Sunday, in Houston).

My crazy theory about Sunday's Laker performance is that they're all experienced enough at this point to understand what referree assignments mean. They walked out on the court on Sunday and saw Dick Bavetta standing there and thought "Why bother?"

I'm not saying this is excusable, I'm just saying that's probably part of what happened.

This isn't necessarily a good thing, but the pattern is, if the Lakers get a few calls early in the game, they get rolling. If they get hacked early without a whistle (like Sunday), they usually spend the game unfocussed, and complaining. That's just the way it is.

A few follow up comments:

1) Sasha has gone from frustrating to pathetic. If he can't knock down wide-open shots when his team is up by 40 (i.e. no pressure), I'm not sure if there's any hope for him. He's a shooter who can't shoot.

2) Is it just me, or is Shannon Brown the Laker's best three-point shooter now? (After Kobe, anyway).

3) Fish has been absolutely awful this series. A 13 year vet should know what he can and can't do - and him trying to take it into the post against Brooks was not something he can do. HOWEVER, the reason Phil continues to start him is because he will be needed in the next round against Denver. If the Lakers can win the series even with Fish as a liability, why yank him and screw with the team's chemistry? Farmar has been terrific, but he's playing against light guards. Next series, Chauncey Billups awaits - which plays into Fish's strengths. Billups is a power guy, and the Lakers are going to need Fish (another power guy) to match up with him. Billups would post up Farmar all day. It would be incredibly short-sighted to yank Fish and bench him. Phil is doing the right thing by starting him, but curbing his minutes so Fish saves face.
noJINX
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 8:59 am    Post subject:

DB, "Bynum and Pau must be used and exploited."

Thank you DB - you say everything that everybody thinks. And I agree with all your points.

I look to Game 6, but I think the Rockets will adjust to this pounding by double teaming or

Last night we were unstoppable.

Arizona
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 9:02 am    Post subject:

Nice win. Nice to see the bench keep the lead at 40 and not let Houston get any confidence back going into next game. Props to LO for gutting it out, he was clearly in a lot of pain but played like a warrior. That one play where he went up twice for the offensive rebound, finally got it and scored showed a lot of grit. I loved the way we moved the ball, fed the bigs, and got Andrew going. Hopefully it continues. I don't care who starts and who doesn't, I want everyone to bring it and win this ring!

“You’ve got to play with pride and guts.” -LO
PopcornMachine
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject:

Mr. DB, I must again congratulate you on your tireless devotion to providing what must be the most in depth game by game recaps to be found anywhere. I mean in the whole world.

It is truly impressive that you can produce such detailed reports for a whole season. And throw a story in too.

I had a story idea for last nights game too. Kind of a fairy tale about a sleepy princess, who was always taking naps for fear of loosing her beauty. The King and Queen felt she wasn't doing enough 'royal' stuff, so they started spiking her tea with Red Bull and energy pills.

The princess didn't know this and was pouting about not being able to nap, but found she enjoyed doing more 'royal' stuff, and that her beauty did not fade after all. In fact, she just got prettier.

Something like that.

I'm with COCO!

Last edited by PopcornMachine on Wed May 13, 2009 1:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
BornAndBredLakersFan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 10:23 am    Post subject:

thanks DB
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 11:20 am    Post subject:

Vishnu wrote:
Thanks for the recap DB.

You gave JF a dancing tomato? I thought those were reserved for Sasha.

Typically they're for Sasha, but I've used them a couple other times on others. Because Sasha has lost his mojo, the Dancing Tomato has been too limited for my taste. We got to get him some run.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 11:24 am    Post subject:

In that case, I predict Shannon Brown will accrue a few Dancing Tomatoes before the playoffs are finished.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject:

Klone_dd wrote:

JoFar seems to have control of himself again. Maybe he's found his niche against speed demons. Then again, he should be familiar with Brooks from the Pac10 days.

I think familiarity is probably helping, but not so much from the PAC10. I think it's because he gets to study what we want to do instead of changing opponents every night. So, he doesn't have to switch gears. He can lock in on the game plan on both ends. His bonehead mistakes have been down on the offensive end. Defensively, the same deal. He knows how we want to defend the PG spot every game and, of course, has the footspeed to give us something extra than DFish. And we don't have to worry about stronger guards muscling him.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject:

Burgundy wrote:
A 13 year vet should know what he can and can't do - and him trying to take it into the post against Brooks was not something he can do.

That had to be a call by Phil. They started the second half with that play, which makes me think it was drawn up by the coaches and not DFish freelancing.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject:

PopcornMachine wrote:
Mr. DB, I must again congratulate you on your tireless devotion to providing what must be the most in depth game by game recaps to be found anywhere. I mean in the whole world.

It is truly impressive that you can produce such detailed reports for a whole season. And through a story in too.

Thanks. It's certainly a marathon... or something.

Quote:

I had a story idea for last nights game too. Kind of a fairy tale about a sleepy princess, who was always taking naps for fear of loosing her beauty. The King and Queen felt she wasn't doing enough 'royal' stuff, so they started spiking her tea with Red Bull and energy pills.

The princess didn't know this and was pouting about not being able to nap, but found she enjoyed doing more 'royal' stuff, and that her beauty did not fade after all. In fact, she just got prettier.

Something like that.

Hopefully, the story ends with a big parade and everyone living happily ever after.
MFF0RD8
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject:

Flea performed the National Anthem on bass and it was a great version! that surely got the team and crowd fired up

"I don't know if we'd won this game without these fans. Thank you!" - Phil Jackson after Game 7 of the 2010 NBA Finals, 6/17/10
PopcornMachine
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 4:54 pm    Post subject:

MFF0RD8 wrote:
Flea performed the National Anthem on bass and it was a great version! that surely got the team and crowd fired up

Shoot! Totally missed that.

I heard him play it on trumpet a few months ago and was wondering how he'd do it on the bass.

Glad you enjoyed.

I'm with COCO!

Last edited by PopcornMachine on Wed May 13, 2009 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject:

Bummer it wasn't televised.
LakersFan_73
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject:

Yea, would have loved to see that...
10scott10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 10:23 am    Post subject:

MFF0RD8 wrote:

I was surprised that Anthony Kiedis didn't sing vocals with him
PopcornMachine
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 1:33 pm    Post subject:

Here's the trumpet version he did last October.

Coulnd't find a copy from last game.

I'm with COCO!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: