THUNDER -at- LAKERS - 4/18 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:56 am    Post subject:

maddprophet wrote:
it seems to me that shannon matches up quite well with westbrook. i think we should see alot more of this matchup as the series goes on.
Physically, he does.

If the Lakers eliminate Westbrook's mad dashes in "early clock" offense (probably the result of TOs or missed long shots) and are able to funnel Westbrook into a certain section of the court where the "bigs" can from an effective wall that will force Westbrook to change directions - it won't matter much if it is DFish or Shannon or Farmar since Westbrook's shooting percentage will go down.

In addition, everytime he enters the faith - he needs to be always bumped and when fouled, it needs to be clean and hard to send a message that driving to the hole will have its consequences.

btw: I like your moniker of "Maddprophet"
maddprophet
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:14 am    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
maddprophet wrote:
it seems to me that shannon matches up quite well with westbrook. i think we should see alot more of this matchup as the series goes on.
Physically, he does.

If the Lakers eliminate Westbrook's mad dashes in "early clock" offense (probably the result of TOs or missed long shots) and are able to funnel Westbrook into a certain section of the court where the "bigs" can from an effective wall that will force Westbrook to change directions - it won't matter much if it is DFish or Shannon or Farmar since Westbrook's shooting percentage will go down.

In addition, everytime he enters the faith - he needs to be always bumped and when fouled, it needs to be clean and hard to send a message that driving to the hole will have its consequences.

lol. understandable coming from a mad chinaman...

but even if it's to disrupt his fastbreaks into the lane, i thought shannon was quick enough and strong enough to give him some resistance. when phil brought him off the bench first of the guards in the 3rd for fish, he ran the offense well w/ lamar. he played more within the system and didn't force shots. i hope to see more of that as he gets more time with the starters.

we just can't allow westbrook those easy looks at the rim, and shannon is our best defense against that in the open floor.

in half court sets, westbrook really isn't as much of an issue.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:19 am    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:

Re: Walling Off the Paint
Phil mentioned this phrase, could somebody probably some specific deetails on how Phil wants this to work?

I think earlier in the season JVG or someone illustrated this with Lamar on a few help D plays. You just want to make the attacker go more east and west than north and south. Starts with Fish, but the help D needs to close off the lanes better, too. In transition D, we weren't getting back there in time to help.
BigE32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:27 am    Post subject:

Thanks, DB. The 2 positives from yesterday's game IMO were AB's activity on both ends of the floor and Ron's D on Durant. I loved Andrew's block and dunk in the second quarter. That was great to see. Durant scored 24 points on 24 shots which I'll take any day. I'm not surprised that Westbrook scored 23 points on only 16 shot attempts (63% from the floor). We have to keep feeding the post.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:32 am    Post subject:

Klone_dd wrote:
Pau had 4 shots in the 2nd half. Definitely not enough, expecially when he's hitting the midrange shots. OKC has no one to contain him, but the Lakers perimeter guys do a good job of keeping him uninvolved.

I think they were making the effort. We didn't see very many early offense perimeter chucks. Much fewer than usual. They were trying to work the ball around against that fronting D to get it to the post. OKC is taking away the first/easy pass...something the team has struggled with all season when that happens. That burns a lot of shotclock when our counters aren't sharp. The focus to get him involved seemed to be there, they just struggled with the execution. I'm optimistic that we will start going deeper into our options to get the ball into the post. They are going to be better for it.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:51 am    Post subject:

maddprophet wrote:

Yes. It seemed to me during the season that Shannon made guys go east to west more than DFish and also was a step or two quicker at recovering.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:19 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
Re: Walling Off the Paint
Phil mentioned this phrase, could somebody probably some specific deetails on how Phil wants this to work?
I think earlier in the season JVG or someone illustrated this with Lamar on a few help D plays. You just want to make the attacker go more east and west than north and south. Starts with Fish, but the help D needs to close off the lanes better, too. In transition D, we weren't getting back there in time to help.
Thanks DB. I know that someone had posted some examples and/or descriptions. Is there a search engine on this site where one can find this post?

It seemed that Westbrook was always able to split the "wall" - especially when LO was defending the paint. Couldn't realistically expect RonRon and/or whomever was guarding Durant to sink inside the paint. It just seemed that LO was playing really soft, fouling him AND letting him finish instead of sending him to the floor.

Since Westbrook isn't a good outside shooter and DFish appeard to (in the half court sets) to tempt him with taking shots - one might think that the rotations at the basket was not happening.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:21 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
maddprophet wrote:
Yes. It seemed to me during the season that Shannon made guys go east to west more than DFish and also was a step or two quicker at recovering.
I agree - though DFish seems much more pugnacious on defense and the difference in footspeed (just in this series) wouldn't make a great difference since Westbrook is not a good outside shooter. If it was Nash or TParker - different story
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:26 pm    Post subject:

maddprophet wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
maddprophet wrote:
Physically, he does.

but even if it's to disrupt his fastbreaks into the lane, i thought shannon was quick enough and strong enough to give him some resistance. when phil brought him off the bench first of the guards in the 3rd for fish, he ran the offense well w/ lamar. he played more within the system and didn't force shots. i hope to see more of that as he gets more time with the starters.

we just can't allow westbrook those easy looks at the rim, and shannon is our best defense against that in the open floor.

Us "Mad" people need to stick together - LOL!

On early clock offense/fastbreaks that Westbrook was generating, nothing much that DFish or Shannon can do.

The open looks at the rim appears (IMO) that the Phil-described "Wall" wasn't working properly and Westbrook was able to split the defenders (notably LO) to have clean looks at the rim that he was able to complete. If LO/Pau can force Westbrook to not have a direct line to the basket and/or if he is able - foul him hard and CLEAN without letting him finish to have "And 1" opportunities - the Lakers will be OK
maddprophet
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:10 am    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
maddprophet wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
maddprophet wrote:
Physically, he does.

Us "Mad" people need to stick together - LOL!

On early clock offense/fastbreaks that Westbrook was generating, nothing much that DFish or Shannon can do.

The open looks at the rim appears (IMO) that the Phil-described "Wall" wasn't working properly and Westbrook was able to split the defenders (notably LO) to have clean looks at the rim that he was able to complete. If LO/Pau can force Westbrook to not have a direct line to the basket and/or if he is able - foul him hard and CLEAN without letting him finish to have "And 1" opportunities - the Lakers will be OK

and other than fish, no one on this teams takes charges worth a damn
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: