NUGGETS -at- LAKERS - 4/3 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:26 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
revgen wrote:
What sealed the fate of this game was when LO picked up that 5th foul in the 4th and Phil opted to go to take him out and put in a small-ball lineup instead of inserting Drew back in. The Nuggets acquired a 6 point lead during that stretch and kept it all the way to the end.

He was clearly playing it safe re: drew's knee and i am one hundred peecent in agreement. Losing a regular season game means nothing if we can maximize our chances at having a healthy roster in the playoffs.

It does seem odd to me that he was cautious with Drew, but not with Pau.

i think 'drew's injury history played into his thinking. like it or not, him going down right before playoff runs will be in the back of everyone's mind until he gets through a few playoffs with his health intact. people like calling pau soft, but he's been a warrior for us in terms of minutes played and staying healthy during the playoffs.
revgen
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:22 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
revgen wrote:
What sealed the fate of this game was when LO picked up that 5th foul in the 4th and Phil opted to go to take him out and put in a small-ball lineup instead of inserting Drew back in. The Nuggets acquired a 6 point lead during that stretch and kept it all the way to the end.

He was clearly playing it safe re: drew's knee and i am one hundred peecent in agreement. Losing a regular season game means nothing if we can maximize our chances at having a healthy roster in the playoffs.

It does seem odd to me that he was cautious with Drew, but not with Pau.

i think 'drew's injury history played into his thinking. like it or not, him going down right before playoff runs will be in the back of everyone's mind until he gets through a few playoffs with his health intact. people like calling pau soft, but he's been a warrior for us in terms of minutes played and staying healthy during the playoffs.

According to Phil, Drew told him he could go back in the game. Phil didn't put him back in. He told the reporters that usually when Drew bangs knees, "he sometimes temporally loses some of his mobility." In other words, Phil was willing to go with a small-ball unit to have some mobile feet rather than put Drew in. That didn't work out too well.

You can see the video of the interview here. LINK
Tanlentueux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:46 am    Post subject:

OregonLakerGuy wrote:
Thanks DB
HBA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:45 pm    Post subject:

If PJ was ANY type of competent coach, he'd have played Joe Smith and Character more throughout the year so he could have at least SOMEWHAT relied on them during that 2-3 minute stretch where Odom had the 5 fouls.

But alas, the man is as stubborn as a mule and has been carried to titles by the best closers and players in the league for 20 years. If we win again this year, that formula wouldn't have been any different.

Switch him and any number of coaches and I can promise you, his results won't magically improve. As an example, the Bulls would do far worse with PJ as coach over Tom Thibodeau. You wanna take a guess whether we'd do any worse with the best defensive coach in all of basketball?

Yeah, didn't think so!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: