LAKERS -at- MAVS - 5/6 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 4:45 am    Post subject:

Bynum's steal and dunk was amazing. Never seen that from him.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 4:57 am    Post subject:

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
8750 wrote:
thanks, DB
i deeply hope that our next coach will teach this team that leaving the opponents shooters wide open is not a good defensive strategy. with our coach's formula, we lose a playoff series against phoenix , we lose against boston in the finals, and we are losing now... and gasol on nowitzki is the dumbest defensive idea i saw in these years.. this team looks so old also because our coach's mind is very old...

Yeah. Pau on Dirk is probably not optimal even when Pau is playing normally. When he's playing brain-dead it's an invitation to disaster.

But PJ is stubborn about match-ups, and he's stubborn about certain favorite tactics of his, for example, by over-playing defense around the paint even against teams with no inside game and tons of shooters. Sometime.. Sometimes that's good,, and works against some teams; but as you point out above, sometimes it's bad. I've never liked that philosophy, and have always thought that it's just like playing with fire. Sooner or later it catches up with you.

SGH

I understand the matchup. Dirk doesn't really attack the basket, even if he could brush Pau off on his drives. Dirk "settles" for those turnaround Js in rhythm and Gasol can at least contest those shots by wingspan if he arrives.

But here's the thing. Gasol out to the perimeter takes away the 2-headed monster in the paint for defensive rotations and hitting the glass.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 5:26 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB.

Even though I expected the Lakers to lose the series after Game 2, I didn't expect this pathetic finish of both the game and the short-lived Kobe Gasol dynasty. Between age, injury and wear Kobe just can't finish games like he used to, but then we all knew that day was coming. I can deal with that; watching Pau Gasol transition into a passive aggressive, emo-sulking, brain dead loser was too much to bear; $18 million more in his bank this season and yet he couldn't be bothered to contest Dirk's wide open 3s. I trust Dr. Buss will do the right thing.

It was a helluva run though!
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 6:28 am    Post subject:

Pau's is the most bewildering decline in a player's performance I've ever witnessed. Unprecedented.

It's reminescent of what happened to Vin Baker. Hopefully Pau can rebound, Vin never did.
airball2
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 6:38 am    Post subject: What's wrong w/ Pau

I think the problem with Pau is he has no go-to move. I can't remember the last time I saw him use his hook. Every time he gets the ball in the right block he turns middle, into traffic, and hoists high arching, fade-away, low-percentage, weak crap. Haven't any of the players today never watched Jabbar? The Jabbar baseline hook was the most devastating shot ever in basketball. I can't remember the last time I say Pau turn baseline and go with the hook. Shaq became lethal when he learned that jump hook bank shot from the right block. Will someone please tell Pau to just once turn baseline from the right block, and not turn into traffic?

Pau needs to develop two go-to moves, one to his left, and one to his right, and master either a jump hook or something with a high release and put that weak fade-away jumper to bed. What's frustrating is he has the skills, has the length, appears intelligent, has the greatest hook shot shooter ever in the organization, has an awesome left hook, but it has been completely absent from his game for months. Very frustrating to watch.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 6:40 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
Pau's is the most bewildering decline in a player's performance I've ever witnessed. Unprecedented.

It's reminescent of what happened to Vin Baker. Hopefully Pau can rebound, Vin never did.

Vin was due to his weight no? He lost conditioning IIRC.

Pau is all mental. I think Pau is having his Rasheed Wallace moment. Rasheed was like that, he would have 1 great year and then a year where it he was very unreliable.

I don't think this is the end of Pau Gasol, the all-star. Remember Pau had an awful series against Boston in 2008 and then rebounded the next 2 post seasons to win rings and had a much better series against the same Boston team in 2010.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 6:48 am    Post subject:

^^^2008 I give a pass. You gotta remember, before 2008, Pau was 0-12 in the post season. Never won a playoff game. I just thought the moment was too big for him and he shrunk.

But it's 3 years and 2 rings later...he knows how to do this. He knows what it takes. And he's just not giving it. At this point, I think we would all take the 2008 GaSOFT version. That's how unbelievably ghost he's been.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 7:19 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:

Vin was due to his weight no? He lost conditioning IIRC.

Pau is all mental. I think Pau is having his Rasheed Wallace moment. Rasheed was like that, he would have 1 great year and then a year where it he was very unreliable.

I don't think this is the end of Pau Gasol, the all-star. Remember Pau had an awful series against Boston in 2008 and then rebounded the next 2 post seasons to win rings and had a much better series against the same Boston team in 2010.

Vin Baker was an alcholic.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 8:22 am    Post subject:

OregonLakerGuy wrote:
Thanks DB. That had to be painful.
I appreciate the effort you put in all season long.

I tend to hide from LG when I'm of a mindset to bash players. I've been incredibly disappointed that a team this experienced peaked in March while going for a second seed.

Nonetheless, I'm not giving up, it isn't over.
RVCdesigns
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 8:58 am    Post subject:

Thanks Db
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Rick12322
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 9:36 am    Post subject:

Thanks Db. Dirk said it, Bynum might be the best center in the league today. This is the one bright spot I can take from this team. Mr. Potential has become Mr. all-star. You can see the talents shining through. He'll be even better next year.

Dr. Buss gambled on this team and lost. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a big roster shakeup. The old Kobe is gone forever, he'll still be very good but not MVP good. Players I can see going out are Pau, Brown, Barnes, Caracter, (Buss will be too loyal to Fisher and his contract is small so he'll stay). I believe Ebanks is going to be our Sf, maybe even starting Sf eventually.

I think Dr. Buss is fed up with the Triangle, if he can trade Pau for a real pg then I think he'll consider Byron Scott and try to bring back showtime.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 9:52 am    Post subject:

DB

Great work!
KareemRushForThree
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 10:41 am    Post subject:

Simmons' twitter comment was one of the most fitting and appropriate sports analogies ever.

sportsguy33 Bill Simmons
The Kobe era just made the turn at Dealey Plaza and passed the book depository...
14 hours ago

Four game sweep by Mavs would undoubtedly be an unforeseen, blindside headshot to our three peat hopes. And it is happening in Dallas. As depressed as I am, this line was way too perfect.

Down 3-0, the motorcade is in the plaza. All the Mavs have to do is pull the trigger.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 12:58 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
8750 wrote:
thanks, DB
i deeply hope that our next coach will teach this team that leaving the opponents shooters wide open is not a good defensive strategy. with our coach's formula, we lose a playoff series against phoenix , we lose against boston in the finals, and we are losing now... and gasol on nowitzki is the dumbest defensive idea i saw in these years.. this team looks so old also because our coach's mind is very old...

Yeah. Pau on Dirk is probably not optimal even when Pau is playing normally. When he's playing brain-dead it's an invitation to disaster.

But PJ is stubborn about match-ups, and he's stubborn about certain favorite tactics of his, for example, by over-playing defense around the paint even against teams with no inside game and tons of shooters. Sometime.. Sometimes that's good,, and works against some teams; but as you point out above, sometimes it's bad. I've never liked that philosophy, and have always thought that it's just like playing with fire. Sooner or later it catches up with you. SGH
I understand the matchup. Dirk doesn't really attack the basket, even if he could brush Pau off on his drives. Dirk "settles" for those turnaround Js in rhythm and Gasol can at least contest those shots by wingspan if he arrives.

But here's the thing. Gasol out to the perimeter takes away the 2-headed monster in the paint for defensive rotations and hitting the glass.
On defense, if Pau makes Dirk take his famous/infamous and deadly outside off-balance shots (with at least a hand in his face) - it takes away the other option

If on offense, Pau takes Dirk out to the perimeter - that leaves more rrom for Drew to do some damage since one big is gone.

To DB and Emplay
Spiro, when interviewed by Mark Willard on 710AM, stated that it appears that the team doesn't appear to have fun and/or desire to play together. Magic, on ESPN, stated that the outside activities (LO's reality show, RonRon's music company, DFish's role with the NBA Players Association and everybody else) has taken top priority resulting in not taking care of details to be successful in their supposedly FIRST JOB - member of the L.A. Lakers - what are your thoughts

Magic states that it is time to blow-up the team since they are having "trust" issues with a team that has been together for 7 years.

I don't necessariy agree with Magic's comments and know that sports radio/television and their reporters are there to keep interest with the telecasts - but what are your thoughts since you are in the inside and have no need to get high radio/television ratings?

They do seem mentally fatiqued since they were unable to close games. They don't seem to take Phil's #1 priority to heart - ABC (Always Be Closing)! Maybe it is just time for a new voice - amazingly. How spoiled can you get when talking to a coach that has won three rings and why can't they get motivated to have a place in basketball immortality? It is shades of Shaq where his own personal and petty agenda had a higher priority than winning a championship.

If they get get DHoward for LO/Drew - how is Pau going to work with thta combination - it ain't. Pau will just stay at the high post since during the playoffs, he just gets pushed out - especially when he sees that he is now the #3 option.
Vicky T
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 1:47 pm    Post subject:

OregonLakerGuy wrote:
Thanks DB. That had to be painful.
I appreciate the effort you put in all season long.

HBA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject:

KareemRushForThree wrote:
Simmons' twitter comment was one of the most fitting and appropriate sports analogies ever.

sportsguy33 Bill Simmons
The Kobe era just made the turn at Dealey Plaza and passed the book depository...
14 hours ago

Four game sweep by Mavs would undoubtedly be an unforeseen, blindside headshot to our three peat hopes. And it is happening in Dallas. As depressed as I am, this line was way too perfect.

Down 3-0, the motorcade is in the plaza. All the Mavs have to do is pull the trigger.

This jackass cares more about OUR team because of Kobe, than he does his own sorry team. At least Kobe is a man of F'ing iron will. And a new defensive coach will change EVERYTHIGN for us. We'll be back in the Finals WITH Kobe.

But his Celtics? There's not a coach on earth and not a scheme on earth that can bring that mans team back from the dead. When they lose this year, they are done. Totally done.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 4:18 pm    Post subject:

HBA wrote:

sportsguy33 Bill Simmons
14 hours ago

This jackass cares more about OUR team because of Kobe, than he does his own sorry team. At least Kobe is a man of F'ing iron will. And a new defensive coach will change EVERYTHIGN for us. We'll be back in the Finals WITH Kobe.

But his Celtics? There's not a coach on earth and not a scheme on earth that can bring that mans team back from the dead. When they lose this year, they are done. Totally done.

Can't believe he's not getting heat for such an analogy.
HBA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
HBA wrote:

sportsguy33 Bill Simmons
14 hours ago

Can't believe he's not getting heat for such an analogy.

Im not sure what that means to be honest. Is this an analogy as it relates to LA itself.
Lakersarethebesteva
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 5:40 pm    Post subject:

TbilisiTime
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject:

Does anyone have any source for the post game interviews for game 3 of LA vs DAL?

I missed this section and would appreciate helps with this.
Shaq's Mom
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 10:04 pm    Post subject:

Nba is corrupt !!!
limchrc
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 11:04 pm    Post subject:

I'm disappointed and sad with the result. I'm hoping for 4-games back sweep.
10scott10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 11:38 pm    Post subject:

8750 wrote:
thanks, DB

But PJ is stubborn about match-ups, and he's stubborn about certain favorite tactics of his, for example, by over-playing defense around the paint even against teams with no inside game and tons of shooters. Sometime.. Sometimes that's good,, and works against some teams; but as you point out above, sometimes it's bad. I've never liked that philosophy, and have always thought that it's just like playing with fire. Sooner or later it catches up with you.

SGH

The big problem with the line-up that Mavs closed out with was that either we put Pau on Dirk or we put him on Peja. And with Artest out and Barnes's knee still bad, we didn't really have much of a choice but keep him out there.

I don't think it is anywhere in the defensive playbook to leave Dirk wideopen. Especially considering how much Phil kept chewing him out after he did that.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 11:20 am    Post subject:

NO MIKE BREEN!!!!!!!!!
ukwazoo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 9:54 pm    Post subject:

sportsguy33 Bill Simmons
14 hours ago

Thanks for that, Celtics fan with 5 posts.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: