Poker - Easy as one-two-three to feast at the final table

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Free_Kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Poker - Easy as one-two-three to feast at the final table

Easy as one-two-three to feast at the final table

This is an article written by Daniel Negreanu (imo the best poker player in the world) about winning at the final table
sidenote: He mentions Kobe in the article
--and the funny thing is, me and a buddy were on the way to work and we're talking poker strategies...
i was telling him mine...
and it is exactly what the article was about.
it was pretty cool to read!
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject:

Good read. And you're right, Negreanu is certainly one of the best, if not the best. He's also rare in that he's a great cash-game player along with being a tournament star.

Since most players aren't going to be playing tournament style, and instead playing limit holdem at local card rooms, here's three simple rules to help clean up in that scenario.

It's all about the math-

Especially at the lower limits, such as 2-4 or 3-6, limit poker is known as "no fold 'em hold 'em". The bets are small enough that you can't chase guys off hands, and there are a lot of callers pre and post-flop. Don't try to get too busy reading players and running complicated bluffs and traps. Know your odds (pot and your hand) relative to street and position, and play the odds more than the players. Raising up your premium hands (especially in late position), and being willing to muck lousy ones will likely have you statistically above average at most tables. Bottom line: Know the math cold.

Location, Location, Location

With the popularity of the game, new card rooms are opening up all over. Older establishments and higher limit tables will have the higher percentage of good players. I like to play at those places to hone my game, but the newer joints are the place to find suckers. you're also a lot less likely to get "home-towned" by a group of regulars. I see a table full of young guys drinking beer and talking smack, and i see an opportunity to get paid. Bottom line: Know all you can about where you're playing, and choose the place where you're likeliest to have an advantage.

Know your limit

You should play at the highest limit that you can make money at. The pots are bigger at 5-10 than 3-6, but as mentioned earlier, the players are better. If you're raking it in at your current limit for some time, you might try stepping up a notch. Don't be afraid, however, to go back down a level if you're losing money and feeling outplayed. Bottom line: your wallet will thank you if you don't let your ego make your playing decisions.

Reading players, bluffing, semi-bluffing, trapping, and an assortment of tactical and strategic skills are necessary to be successful over time, but the three areas above will give you a good base to work with. Last but not least, one of the best pieces of advise I've ever heard is, "If you can't identify the weak player(s) at the table within 20 minutes, you're the weak player!"
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject:

Great read my friend, thanks for posting it.

DN is one of my favorite players, I truly think he is one of the few pros who is not very overrated quite frankly. I also think John Juanda, Ted Forrest, Freedy Deeb and Phil Ivey are nails.

But DN probably reads people better than anyone I have seen. He is uncanny that way.
ArrOhBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject:

Scotty Nguyen is the best!!!
Free_Kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject:

ArrOhBee wrote:
Scotty Nguyen is the best!!!

If you call... Is alll ober behbeeeee!!!

Great Quote to win the title!

But for me and my money I am going with Daniel Negreanu!
He could tell you what you have before you seen your cards...
but seriously,
Just watch the 2nd day of the 2006 WSOP Main Event and you will see that he is, like Kobe... On another level!!
Free_Kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
http://drzucchini.batcave.net/_tpb_files/ATLHawks_Roster.html

Mmmm Mmmm Mitch!

Hey Rob what is this?
and how does it work?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: