a question for car people - Nissan Versa

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject: a question for car people - Nissan Versa

My girlfriend is interested in the new Nissan Versa. It gets really good gas mileage, and it looks different from other cars out there. Plus it is relatively cheap (maxed out with Sirius Satellite radio it is like $18k).

But I am not a car person and know nothing about recommending whether a car would be good or not.

She is most interested in the gas mileage and low cost, as she is planning on going back to school but on the other side of the state (about a four hour drive). I know there are other options, but does anyone have any experience with this car?

I've also heard that getting a car in its first year of production is not always a good idea, as glitches have not been worked out and are still being found. Does anyone have anything to say about this theory?

Oh, and the Versa supposedly comes with some new fancy transmission, which, if new, would be fixable by Nissan dealers (if anything goes wrong with it), not local mechanics at first. Or am I worrying too much here?

Any advice on this car would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LaLakers999
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: a question for car people - Nissan Versa

encina1 wrote:
My girlfriend is interested in the new Nissan Versa. It gets really good gas mileage, and it looks different from other cars out there. Plus it is relatively cheap (maxed out with Sirius Satellite radio it is like $18k).

But I am not a car person and know nothing about recommending whether a car would be good or not.

She is most interested in the gas mileage and low cost, as she is planning on going back to school but on the other side of the state (about a four hour drive). I know there are other options, but does anyone have any experience with this car?

I've also heard that getting a car in its first year of production is not always a good idea, as glitches have not been worked out and are still being found. Does anyone have anything to say about this theory?

Oh, and the Versa supposedly comes with some new fancy transmission, which, if new, would be fixable by Nissan dealers (if anything goes wrong with it), not local mechanics at first. Or am I worrying too much here?

Any advice on this car would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

why spend 18 grand on a small hatchback when you can get a 2007 Nissan Altima SE 4 cylinder in its last year of production for about the same price depeding on your credit? Altimas are better! more room, more power, dependable, and stylish.

BTW.. ALtimas are good on gas as well.... I should know I had one for about 10 years before i bought my bimmer
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

It's true. Usually takes 1-2 years to fix all the big glitches.

Quote:

CVTs are a smidge more complicated and Nissan will definitely reflect that in the repair of a CVT if necessary. I wouldn't trust a local mechanic. CVTs have been out awhile, but definitely not long enough to be common knowledge among technicians.

As for the Versa, I know it's been sold in Europe for several years now, so it's possible the bugs are already fixed and it's ready for the stateside.

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2007/nissan/versa/100759291/prices.html?action=1

A link for more defined research. Looks like most aren't getting the suggested gas mileage. That may be because of the poor EPA test, or the fact the engine is still under break in period.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Canadian Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject:

If you're looking at those entry level sub-compacts, other good choices include:

1. Honda Fit
2. Toyota Yaris
3. Suzuki SX4
4. Chevrolet Aveo/Pontiac Wave

I'd say build and price them all out online, then test drive each of them. After the test drive, rank them by which you like best. If you can't decide between 2 or 3 models, play brand dealers against each other (eg go between Nissan and say Honda, the best deal gets the sale).

If you know which one car you want, maybe you can do what a couple of my friends did: fax each dealer in your area that sells your car stating exactly what you want (model, features, colour etc.) and give them a deadline to reply back with their best price. Some dealers didn't reply to my friends, thus they lost a sale.

Good luck!
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject:

ALSO: Stay away from 1st or 2nd year cars. Too many glitches to get worked out.

Check CarMax. I'm sold on their whole buying experience. Yeah, with some good research, starting with buying the latest Consuemr Reports car buying magazine guide (an absolute MUST), you could probably do a little bit better than CarMax's no-haggle pricing, but the warranties and LoJacka re cheaper there than at most dealers.

I just bought a 2006 PT Cruiser -- not a Touring or GT version, but still decently equipped with A/C, power windows and doors, and AM/FM/CD stereo -- from them, one with 2400 miles on it. Long story short, at Carmax I got essentially an excellent condition used car for about $1500-$2000 less than the best price I could haggle from a Chrysler dealer after two hours of negotiation for a new one.

Plus, if you go to the LAX Carmax now, they have manufacturer rebates going on so that the 2006 Touring models (new, not used) are going for like $15K. Add on Satellite and LoJack, and we're talking $18K before financing costs. Not bad at all. Good storage space, decent pickup for a small car (150 hp). 21/26 on gas mileage -- not outstanding, but decent.

As you can tell, I LOVE my Cruiser. It's a Consumer Guide "Best Buy" and Consumer Reports "Recommended" vehicle, and it doesn't LOOK like a cheap car, IMO.

Even if you go for a new one at a dealer, they're doing manufacturer rebates and stuff, and they're pressed to dump inventory before the 2007s come in the Fall. Still, try Carmax, though, so you can check inventory online.

[url]auto.consumerguide.com[/url] gives detailed reviews on various levels of differnet models (i.e. basic v. luxury packages). I lived on that site for days before buying my car.

Stay away from the Aveo -- mediocre acceleration, cheap-looking interior, below-average seats, rough suspension while driving on the 210 freeway -- an embarrassment of an American car. Stuck in a 2006 rental when my wife's car was in the shop last week -- you DON'T want it.

Good luck to you and your girlfriend.

MIM
GonzagaAlum
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject:

hyundai sontata. Thank me later.

I would be willing to pay you for it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:36 am    Post subject:

Agreed with MiM, Carmax is damn good. No haggle pricing. etc.

Quote:

1. Honda Fit
2. Toyota Yaris
3. Suzuki SX4
4. Chevrolet Aveo/Pontiac Wave

Honda Fits have dealer markups last time I checked. We shopped for my friend's '06 Civic.

He's getting 36mpg within the first 2000 miles.

But on the sticker, Fit's are being sold between $20k to $25k in the LA area.

Yaris shouldn't have markups.

And, I'm not a fan of Suzuki or Chevy when it comes to compact cars.

Going by carmax, I think it's worth saving $2-3k on the car for a used Civic with decent mileage on it.

Or an '04 Accord with 30k miles.

Same kind of values go for the Corollas and Camrys.

And, if you want to be absolutely sure about the car, check www.edmunds.com They'll have the Technical Service Bulletins up as well as any recalls for any year, make, model, for anything within the past 8 years or so.

mbloves L.A.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:07 am    Post subject:

My mom got a Versa. So far the only problem was with the low tire pressure light. Otherwise it is extremely roomy for a compact car. She says it handles like a dream. I was in the car and in the back seat my legs fit so I am happy about it. I like it so far, but don't take my advice on buying this as I don't drive it.
LaLakers999
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject:

if your looking for a sub compact get the Scions Xa or Xb

trust ME.... you will thank me later and buy me a beer and pay for my lap dance
mbloves L.A.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject:

The XB is a fuggo. The XA is fugly. But then again you do have the hots for Kathy Grifith or however you spell her name. But it is okay you make me laugh Lakers999.
LaLakers999
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject:

mbloves L.A. wrote:
The XB is a fuggo. The XA is fugly. But then again you do have the hots for Kathy Grifith or however you spell her name. But it is okay you make me laugh Lakers999.

dude those rides are gangsta!!!!!! put some 19's on em and your rollin
mbloves L.A.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject:

Lakers999 wrote:
mbloves L.A. wrote:

An old school impala on 20s is gangsta. Scion is wacksta. The XB looks like a hearse, or a box on wheels.
LaLakers999
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject:

mbloves L.A. wrote:
Lakers999 wrote:
mbloves L.A. wrote:

An old school impala on 20s is gangsta. Scion is wacksta. The XB looks like a hearse, or a box on wheels.

yes an old school impala is gangsta if your snoop dogg....but this guy needs basic modes of transportation thats good on gas and has room... and according to your statement if you think this car looks like a hearse then this car is perfect for him becuase it obviously big enough to put stuff in there the size of a coffin
ArrOhBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject:

Lakers999 wrote:
mbloves L.A. wrote:
Lakers999 wrote:
mbloves L.A. wrote:

yes an old school impala is gangsta if your snoop dogg....but this guy needs basic modes of transportation thats good on gas and has room... and according to your statement if you think this car looks like a hearse then this car is perfect for him becuase it obviously big enough to put stuff in there the size of a coffin

18 grand on a versa?????

might as well just buy a 97 honda hatch for cheaper.
LaLakers999
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject:

ArrOhBee wrote:
Lakers999 wrote:
mbloves L.A. wrote:
Lakers999 wrote:
mbloves L.A. wrote:

18 grand on a versa?????

might as well just buy a 97 honda hatch for cheaper.

a 10 year old Honda???? i rather drive a lawn mower or a mechanical bull
mbloves L.A.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject:

Lakers999 wrote:
mbloves L.A. wrote:
Lakers999 wrote:
mbloves L.A. wrote:

It looks like a hearse, it isn't one though. The only scion worth mentioning is the new one. That one looks nice.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject:

xB is the japanese Hummer. Box? Yeah. Best looking? No way. Looks better with huge wheels? Yeah.

It's probably the most underrated vehicle I've seen in awhile. Toyota quality. All that utility. Gas mileage. Adequate power.

I hope the next gen Scions look better though. They should.

But otherwise, if I had $18k, I'd be looking hard at the Mazda 3 and Scion Tc. Hurts a little bit more on gas, but far better looks, overall performance, etc.

MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject:

OK, encina1, check here:

CarMax link

Scroll down the page and you'll see a couple dozen PTs. I think the ones in the $14K range are the ones with automatic trans, and the price is AFTER a $2K mfr. rebate. If you want color and selection, though, there you are.

Also, their rates on LoJack and extended warranties are pretty good. Throw iin a five-day return policy (incl. three business days for you to find your own financing thru your bank/ credit union, etc.) and you're set.

MIM
ArrOhBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject:

MIMLaker wrote:
OK, encina1, check here:

CarMax link

Scroll down the page and you'll see a couple dozen PTs. I think the ones in the $14K range are the ones with automatic trans, and the price is AFTER a $2K mfr. rebate. If you want color and selection, though, there you are.

Also, their rates on LoJack and extended warranties are pretty good. Throw iin a five-day return policy (incl. three business days for you to find your own financing thru your bank/ credit union, etc.) and you're set.

MIM

a PT Cruiser?!?!?!?!? that aint gangsta!!!!
mbloves L.A.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject:

ArrOhBee wrote:
MIMLaker wrote:
OK, encina1, check here:

CarMax link

MIM

a PT Cruiser?!?!?!?!? that aint gangsta!!!!

It is totally tubular though.
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject:

Amen. No problem with getting a good car at a cheap price when it doesn't LOOK like a cheap car.

MIM
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject:

04 Mazda Mazda6 s 4D Sedan $16,998 23K Gray Auto 6 Irvine /Free Transfer

If that was my budget, and I needed 4 doors, and I wanted to keep the car awhile, that's the one I'd be getting.

But if gas mileage and insurance quotes are that important...

Then I'd just be getting another Civic/Corolla.

Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:25 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
04 Mazda Mazda6 s 4D Sedan $16,998 23K Gray Auto 6 Irvine /Free Transfer

If that was my budget, and I needed 4 doors, and I wanted to keep the car awhile, that's the one I'd be getting.

But if gas mileage and insurance quotes are that important...

Then I'd just be getting another Civic/Corolla.

Actually, I own an 04 Mazda 6, and I love it. Worst case scenario, she takes my car and I either get her car or I find something else.

I just want to thank everyone who has made a suggestion. I am pretty sure we won't go for a Scion though, as both she and I think it is one butt ugly car. We will definitely look at the suggestions all of you have made, and if we get something nice, I will report on it to all of you here.

Thanks, everyone!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: