Best Lyricist of All time
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
maddprophet
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject:

also, "love's gonna getcha" krs-one and boogie down productions. great track.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Lyricist of All time

LuxuryBrown wrote:
TACH wrote:
postandpivot wrote:
PLATNUM wrote:
cr8zy0 wrote:
so many rap threads thought i'd start another.
who do you guys think is the best rap lyricst of all time?

personally i love nas. for god sakes he wrote Still Dre and that's some people's fav song. a lot of ppl don't know he writes songs for other artists.

I thought it was Jay-z that wrote Still D.R.E. Can't chime in on the best lyricist portion of this. I think there are too many factors that come into play.An artist can have some crazy, make you think type lyrics, but his voice and delivery might bore you to death. It depends on what you're lookin for.
As far as beats go, I know I'll catch heat for this, but Dre is overrated. He gets plenty help from other producers and samples a lot... and he loses points for delaying Detox. Timbaland is killing everyone right now.. love him or not.

oh boy, here we go again.

DRE is #1. .numero uno(not the pizza). Roman Numeral I, the guy before 2nd. 2 places ahead of 3rd. FIRST. The winner, etc, etc, etc.

NO NWA, No Jay Z, No Biggie, No Nas(he's an East Coast Ice Cube, street story teller), No 50cent, NO G-unit. NO Game

And if it weren't for George Clinton/P-Funk/Boosty/etc... there would be no Dre.

I'll give Dre his props... but let's be honest... The Chonric, as dope as it is, is just one huge sample...

He's definitely Top 5... no doubt, but he used a lot of samples and some of those samples were barely touched by Dre.

Well, since sampling IS a part of Hip Hop, you can't just attack Dre. Hell, if there wasn't Chic we wouldn't have had Rappers Delight. Rappers Delight is one HUGE sample of "Good Times" by Chic.
Sampling has always been part of hip hop and always will be. I'm saying from a 'production' stand, it's not that impressive (on The Chronic)... don't get me wrong, the beats are phat,.. just as phat as they were in the late 70s/80s. 'Let Me Ride' is very close to the original. Go back and listen to George Clinton/P-Funk/Bootsy and you will see what I'm talking about. I still love the album...

And you are correct, the Sugar Hill Gang used 'Good Times" by Chic for Rapper's Delight.... but nobody's saying the production on Rapper's Delight was great.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Lyricist of All time

TACH wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
TACH wrote:
postandpivot wrote:
PLATNUM wrote:
cr8zy0 wrote:

personally i love nas. for god sakes he wrote Still Dre and that's some people's fav song. a lot of ppl don't know he writes songs for other artists.

I thought it was Jay-z that wrote Still D.R.E. Can't chime in on the best lyricist portion of this. I think there are too many factors that come into play.An artist can have some crazy, make you think type lyrics, but his voice and delivery might bore you to death. It depends on what you're lookin for.
As far as beats go, I know I'll catch heat for this, but Dre is overrated. He gets plenty help from other producers and samples a lot... and he loses points for delaying Detox. Timbaland is killing everyone right now.. love him or not.

DRE is #1. .numero uno(not the pizza). Roman Numeral I, the guy before 2nd. 2 places ahead of 3rd. FIRST. The winner, etc, etc, etc.

NO NWA, No Jay Z, No Biggie, No Nas(he's an East Coast Ice Cube, street story teller), No 50cent, NO G-unit. NO Game

And if it weren't for George Clinton/P-Funk/Boosty/etc... there would be no Dre.

I'll give Dre his props... but let's be honest... The Chonric, as dope as it is, is just one huge sample...

He's definitely Top 5... no doubt, but he used a lot of samples and some of those samples were barely touched by Dre.

Well, since sampling IS a part of Hip Hop, you can't just attack Dre. Hell, if there wasn't Chic we wouldn't have had Rappers Delight. Rappers Delight is one HUGE sample of "Good Times" by Chic.
Sampling has always been part of hip hop and always will be. I'm saying from a 'production' stand, it's not that impressive (on The Chronic)... don't get me wrong, the beats are phat,.. just as phat as they were in the late 70s/80s. 'Let Me Ride' is very close to the original. Go back and listen to George Clinton/P-Funk/Bootsy and you will see what I'm talking about. I still love the album...

And you are correct, the Sugar Hill Gang used 'Good Times" by Chic for Rapper's Delight.... but nobody's saying the production on Rapper's Delight was great.

Yeah, but it's one thing to sample, but you also have to use the sample right to make it dope. Dre does that like no other Hip Hop producer. I've heard TONS of P/Funk samples and not all of them hit their mark.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Lyricist of All time

LuxuryBrown wrote:
TACH wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
TACH wrote:
postandpivot wrote:
PLATNUM wrote:
cr8zy0 wrote:

Yeah, but it's one thing to sample, but you also have to use the sample right to make it dope. Dre does that like no other Hip Hop producer. I've heard TONS of P/Funk samples and not all of them hit their mark.
Understood, never said he wasn't good,.. just saying without P-Funk and the rest, you could say no Dre... I was just commenting on the "No Jay Z, No Biggie, No Nas without Dre" comment....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Lyricist of All time

TACH wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
TACH wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
TACH wrote:
postandpivot wrote:
PLATNUM wrote:
cr8zy0 wrote:

Understood, never said he wasn't good,.. just saying without P-Funk and the rest, you could say no Dre... I was just commenting on the "No Jay Z, No Biggie, No Nas without Dre" comment....

Oh ok, I feels ya.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: