Firefox 2.0 being released today

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject: Firefox 2.0 being released today

STORY
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject:

I've been using Firefox 2's RC3 for the past week or so, and it's been great. I tend to flip back and forth between IE and Firefox for my regular browsing needs. Sometimes IE just seems to be the faster browser. But Firefox has improved it's speed (starting of the program itself mainly0 with Firefox 2 and IE seems to have become a bit slower with it's IE7.

These days, both offer similar features. For those interested in all the add-ons and stuff that Firefox has, it can be a great browser.
ajaxxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject:

I have never used firefox what is its purpose?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject:

It's a web browser.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject:

Is the memory utilization fixed?

Anybody download the new version? Any hiccups?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject:

ajaxxx wrote:

It's an alternative internet browser to Microsoft's Internet Explorer.

Its most notable difference outside of user interface differences is that it provides "tabbed browsing," which essentially means you can open up multiple browser sesions within one window. Up to and including Internet Explorer 6, currently the most used browser, Microsoft did not provide this option. Internet Explorer 7, which is slowly being rolled out by Microsoft, DOES have this option of tabbed browsing.

Outside of this, it's said that Firefox provides a safer browsing experience, although a lot of that happens to be because virus writers and attackers tend to write things that specifically target Internet Explorer.

Firefox also tends to have more customizable aspects of it thanks to plug-ins and extensions written specifically to improve the browser's use.

Check out more info for it at its site. Although it's a change in user interface compared to the typical Internet Explorer, considering that Internet Explorer will soon make a drastic change in interfaces anyway with its version 7, Firefox may be of interest.
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject:

lakez34 wrote:
Outside of this, it's said that Firefox provides a safer browsing experience, although a lot of that happens to be because virus writers and attackers tend to write things that specifically target Internet Explorer.

Well... also considering Firefox is open source, it has literally thousands of programmers. If a weakness is found, its typically patched within the day... whereas IE may take up to a week.
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject:

Its finally available (I was beginning to have my doubts of a release today).

So far its faster rendering pages. The spell check is pretty cool also. If you misspell a word, while typing, it will underline the word. If you right click on the word, it will give a choice of which word you possibly meant... or give you the option to add it to the dictionary. Nice feature.

I'm liking it.
mbloves L.A.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject:

I love it too!
Ares24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject:

Bill Gates says: When you download Mozilla you download COMMUNISM!

KobeWalksOnWater
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject:

Firefox has been flawless for me over the past year, and it just gets better and better everyday when I learn new things about it. For all that don't have firefox, get it immediately for free. It's like a web browser that the people themselves perfected to suit their every need. My firefox is completely customized. I've got the sleek look of a Mac skin on it with a customized search engine toolbar (with ebay, dictionary.com, google, youtube....only the ones i use) and my extension add-on nba.com scoreboard that gets me the most organized and fastest updates for NBA scores possible. It's an amazing feature. IE got completely outdone, it's like NBA 2k7 and NBA live, NBA live just can't compete anymore...

"Losing magnifies everything." -KobeButler
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject:

Have to wait for my zillion extensions to catch up
KobeWalksOnWater
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:48 pm    Post subject:

lakersfreak wrote:
Have to wait for my zillion extensions to catch up

yeah...I just upgraded to 2.0, only to learn that my favorite Mac skin theme isn't going to be available for 2.0 , iFox Smooth was the closest thing too it, but still not the same. If a genius out there would duplicate the theme MacFox I would greatly appreciate it :roll: , other than that all the extensions i needed were available to me. It's great, but not as great as it could be if someone out there makes me MacFox2.0

"Losing magnifies everything." -KobeButler
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
ajaxxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject:

lakez34 wrote:
ajaxxx wrote:

It's an alternative internet browser to Microsoft's Internet Explorer.

Its most notable difference outside of user interface differences is that it provides "tabbed browsing," which essentially means you can open up multiple browser sesions within one window. Up to and including Internet Explorer 6, currently the most used browser, Microsoft did not provide this option. Internet Explorer 7, which is slowly being rolled out by Microsoft, DOES have this option of tabbed browsing.

Firefox also tends to have more customizable aspects of it thanks to plug-ins and extensions written specifically to improve the browser's use.

Check out more info for it at its site. Although it's a change in user interface compared to the typical Internet Explorer, considering that Internet Explorer will soon make a drastic change in interfaces anyway with its version 7, Firefox may be of interest.

o.k. thanks.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
IE7 Vs. Firefox 2

In one corner we have Internet Explorer 7. After 18 months of development and a shiny new set of tabs, he's in top shape and looking better than his predecessor ever did. That is, before he entered the ring with Firefox 2.0. Now he's just a cripple with fancy RSS reading.

This battle wasn't pretty. Lifehacker's own Gina Trapani points out that, "Ironically, Fx runs on more versions of Windows than IE 7 does." And it was all downhill from there. While IE 7 was away training in the Himalayas for a year and a half, living off walnuts and squirrel meat, Firefox was poking his wife, being a fill-in-dad for his kids, wearing his favorite tighty whities and learning all his secrets.

Check out our graphs, but equip yourselves with those special solar eclipse glasses first. Then hit the jump for our Frankenfight—where whomever yells the loudest wins. It's sort of the new policy.

OK, (bleep) this unbiased attitude. Firefox 2 just froze on me while typing this. It can burn in hell.

Wait, it just restored all my windows.
Quote:
Interface
"Unlike IE 7, which has reorganized its toolbar, Firefox 2 changes only the look and feel of its buttons."
"The new shiny-glass look [firefox] is much more sophisticated, as are the rounded tabs and the hairline borders around the address bar and the search engine box."
"IE 7's new streamlined look resembles Vista's."
"You can't miss the new user interface, with tabbed browsing, integrated searching, and newsfeed support..."
"The overall interface of IE has also been cleaned up and simplified..."
"The tabs don't get their own row, however, so they can start to appear somewhat squished if you have many open at once."
- No victory in the Hot or Not competition.

Security
"Security enhancements within Firefox 2 continue. New is a dialog box informing you of cross-domain scripting, a tactic used by criminal hackers to link nonrelated sites to sites you think may be legit."
"Firefox's default protection stops at comparing sites against a known blacklist of phishing sites, while IE 7 includes site analysis that will try to warn you about a suspicious site even if it's not yet on a blacklist."
"...we found that IE 7 consistently failed to catch phishing sites less than 1 hour old, although IE 7 caught all phishing sites known for at least 1 hour or more..."
"You also get a new "Fix Settings for Me" feature that warns you if you reset security settings to something Microsoft deems unsafe."
"Overall, the new IE has many more security fixes than the revised Firefox. But such fixes were necessary to address IE 6's many holes..."
"With IE7, the default security level has been raised from medium, which is the IE6 default, to medium-high. Not only that, but there are now no lower security levels than medium..."
"But the most important new security feature in IE 7 -- something called Protected Mode, which stops Web sites from changing your computer's important files or settings -- will work only in the new Vista version of Windows."
- Tacky.

Performance
"IE 7 still uses essentially the IE 4 Web engine. So in terms of page performance, Mozilla Firefox, which updated its Web engine with Firefox 1.5, remains the much faster browser."
"In my informal tests immediately after installing and launching IE 7, the browser with three open tabs used 80MB of memory; under similar conditions and with the same three tabs, Firefox used 58MB. Otherwise, the performance of the two browsers appeared similar."

Conclusion
"The new Internet Explorer is a solid upgrade, but it's disappointing that after five years, the best Microsoft could do was to mostly catch up to smaller competitors."
"Of the two rivals, Firefox remains the better application."
- I plan on running Firefox 2, but I own a Mac.

For more detail click the LINK

TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Each time the Mozilla guys roll out another major release of Firefox , blogger and developer Neil Lee releases his optimized versions for Macs.

That means if you're a Firefox lover and you're rocking a G4, G5, or Intel Mac, you might want to download your specific version and give it a try. I know a lot of Macsters who swear by the optimized builds, which supposedly offer performance enhancements specific to your Mac.

LINK - Optimized Firefox 2.0 for G4, G5, and Intel Macs
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: