Who Killed the Electric Car?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject: Who Killed the Electric Car?

i work at a video store so i get to see new rentals a week in advance and just watched this great film. it comes out on tuesday and everyone should see this. it's really a fascinating look at the events that cancelled the production cars like the EV-1. lots of stuff here that i had no idea about and it also has a segment on the potential of hydrogen fueled cars and the problems that go along with that.

highly reccomended.
pedro_the_wango
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject:

the film is called "who killed the electric car?"
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject:

yes. here is the imdb page for it.

Who Killed The Electric Car?
JIFISH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject:

I saw it in a theater when it first came out a few months ago. It's an amazing documentary.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject:

Hydrogen power makes roughly 40% of the output as regular gas.

The Mazda Rx8 Rotary drops from 240bhp to 100bhp when switching from unleaded petrol to hydrogen.

The closest thing I've seen to a successful car is the BMW 745 Hydrogen powered car. If I remember right, ~300bhp in a V12 on Hydrogen. Range is short though.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
shnjb
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject:

Hydrogen, fuel cell and all these alternate forms of fuel are fundamentally flawed since it takes a lot of energy to make them usable.

Nuclear energy- that's what we need more of.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject:

with hydrogen there's no fueling infrastructure which will take years and a ton of time to build. not to mention its WAY too expensive.

electric batteries can now let a car go 300miles on a single charge, reduces your cost to the equivilant of roughly 66 cents per gallon (instead of 3 dollars per gallon) and has zero emissions.

not to mention that since there is only one moving part, repair costs are going to cost you a lot less as well.

plus, the technology is already here.

plug-in hybrids are the future. how's 180 miles per gallon sound?
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
with hydrogen there's no fueling infrastructure which will take years and a ton of time to build. not to mention its WAY too expensive.

electric batteries can now let a car go 300miles on a single charge, reduces your cost to the equivilant of roughly 66 cents per gallon (instead of 3 dollars per gallon) and has zero emissions.

not to mention that since there is only one moving part, repair costs are going to cost you a lot less as well.

I've heard stories of people who fix their Prius' so they can get upwards of 100 miles per gallon, but I am not sure what it is they do to them to get such great mileage
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject:

encina1 wrote:
ocho wrote:

I've heard stories of people who fix their Prius' so they can get upwards of 100 miles per gallon, but I am not sure what it is they do to them to get such great mileage

they convert them into plug-in hybrids so they can charge them at home like you used to be able to do with electric cars like the EV-1.

the good news is that several companies have announced plans to manufacture plug-in hybrids that should be available in a couple years. imagine waking up every morning with a full tank of gas...wihtout the gas. your battery starts to die on a road trip? no problem..go get some gas. you get something like 180 miles per gallon and pay peanuts to fuel your car.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:03 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

Until you have zero emission fossil fuel energy... "zero emissions" is a myth. To make "clean" energy right now, you still have to use dirty energy, with plenty of emissions... Fossil fuels make something like 70 percent of the energy you would be using.

So, unless you increase the amount of solar power, wind power, other renewable energy sources...or nuke... all you are doing is feeling better about not going to the gas pump. What you probably need right now is your own personal charging station at home that is run off of solar or wind if you want to have zero emissions...until you have real clean energy infrasturcture behind our current energy sources, then you are just passing the buck to some other dirty energy source that is out of sight and out of mind.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
ocho wrote:

Until you have zero emission fossil fuel energy... "zero emissions" is a myth. To make "clean" energy right now, you still have to use dirty energy, with plenty of emissions... Fossil fuels make something like 70 percent of the energy you would be using.

So, unless you increase the amount of solar power, wind power, other renewable energy sources...or nuke... all you are doing is feeling better about not going to the gas pump. What you probably need right now is your own personal charging station at home that is run off of solar or wind if you want to have zero emissions...until you have real clean energy infrasturcture behind our current energy sources, then you are just passing the buck to some other dirty energy source that is out of sight and out of mind.

electricity burns fossil fuels but it cuts emissions a lot and the technology is already avialable. electricity isn't the best long term solution but its the best short term solution until an non fossil fuel energy is cultivated.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
encina1 wrote:
ocho wrote:

they convert them into plug-in hybrids so they can charge them at home like you used to be able to do with electric cars like the EV-1.

the good news is that several companies have announced plans to manufacture plug-in hybrids that should be available in a couple years. imagine waking up every morning with a full tank of gas...wihtout the gas. your battery starts to die on a road trip? no problem..go get some gas. you get something like 180 miles per gallon and pay peanuts to fuel your car.

hey that "go get some gas" thing when you run out of battery power. you know it would be nice if you filled the tank up with normal gas. Then the engine running off of gas could recharge the battery. so once you run out of gas you're back to a full Battery. now that would do the trick for me.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
ocho wrote:

speaking of using wind power. why would that be hard? I mean you're driving right. wind is blowing at a high rate around the vehicle. throw some type of rotating blade/blades underneath the car, on the sides, or on the top. and catch that energy. You can have it covered with a slit sticking out of the car. looking like part of the car's aerodynamics.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject:

Wind power is outright weak and applies only to open areas. Can't take that car everywhere in teh US.

Unfortunately, one of the best modes of transportation that I know of is among the most expensive.

Using magnets. High levels of electrical current. Insane acceleration and speed overall.

Unfortunately, it takes away from the fun of driving.

So far, the alternative cars that I like the most are the Tesla Roadster and the experiemental Ariel Atom that's run on electric power.

Who else could find an Atom that consistently outdrags a Porsche Carrera GT at 1/10th the price?

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject:

"Who Killed the Electric Car?" Simple...

THE STONECUTTERS

Who controls the British crown?
Who keeps the metric system down?
We do, we do.

Who keeps Atlantis off the maps?
Who keeps the Martians under wraps?
We do, we do.

Who keeps back the electric car?
Who makes Steve Guttenberg a star?
We do, we do.

Who robs cavefish of their sight?
Who rigs every Oscar night?
We do, we dooooooo.

MIM
LA NATIVE
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject:

MIMLaker wrote:
"Who Killed the Electric Car?" Simple...

THE STONECUTTERS

Who controls the British crown?
Who keeps the metric system down?
We do, we do.

Who keeps Atlantis off the maps?
Who keeps the Martians under wraps?
We do, we do.

Who keeps back the electric car?
Who makes Steve Guttenberg a star?
We do, we do.

Who robs cavefish of their sight?
Who rigs every Oscar night?
We do, we dooooooo.

MIM

Brilliant. The only Simpson figure I have is Stonecutter Homer.
Also Lenny having a higher ranking than Burns was great. But so was the secret tunnel to avoid traffic. Too much I now have to go rewatch the episode.
When they ask me about Shaq, I say, 'I love Shaq, but [screw] Miami.' It is what it is. I'm a Laker and I bleed purple and gold and if you ain't down with the Lakers, f--- you, straight up.-Snoop Dogg
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: