Thanksgiving Dinner

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerFanAlways
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: Thanksgiving Dinner

Can anyone recommend a nice restaurant that will be serving Thanksgiving Dinner in the Los Angeles area. We are looking for a nice place to go and we have no clue where to go..I was thinking of going to Hometown Buffet but she wants something more classy to go. My Mom made reservations for this restaurant in the Beverly Hilton Hotel for 70 bucks a person but I think that is insane to spend so much money for a meal..any suggestions would be great
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
Mr.Tricky
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject:

Charlie Browns in Rosemead.
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject:

You shouldn't EVER eat at Hometown Barffet, let alone on Thanksgiving.
LakerFanAlways
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject:

Maggiano's Little Italy at The Grove is having a fantastic Thanksgiving Day Dinner/Buffet..for only 34.95 a person..so we are gonna go there..we've been there before so I know we can't go wrong with that place..
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject:

Maggiano's for Thanksgiving =

Make sure you get some cheesecake.
NoMoreGame7s
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject:

We're in Arizona, but we've been to Black Angus on Thanksgiving for the last 3 years. It's $15 for all you can eat. The food is awesome - just as good as any Thanksgiving meal I've ever had. (Please don't tell my grandmother or my mother.) When you finish your food, they'll bring you another plate if you ask for it. I highly recommend it. It's not a place where you dress up and feel like you're dining in style, obviously, but it's a tradition my wife and kids and I have enjoyed ever since the one year we went there by default. We were hooked.

Thanks for the avatar, Hybrid27.
TheRod
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject:

Screw the Restuarant....go to Ralph's or Albertsons and order a complete Thanksgiving dinner. Prices range from $30 for 6 people, to $45 for 10 people, and even up to $75/$80 for huge parties.

Check it! Booyakacha!
Hap4n
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:20 am    Post subject:

NoMoreGame7s wrote:
We're in Arizona, but we've been to Black Angus on Thanksgiving for the last 3 years. It's $15 for all you can eat. The food is awesome - just as good as any Thanksgiving meal I've ever had. (Please don't tell my grandmother or my mother.) When you finish your food, they'll bring you another plate if you ask for it. I highly recommend it. It's not a place where you dress up and feel like you're dining in style, obviously, but it's a tradition my wife and kids and I have enjoyed ever since the one year we went there by default. We were hooked.

Ditto same thing going on here in L.A.
I guess all the Black Angus's have it, its like $14 adults $7 kids.
There food is good so I would recommend that.
NoMoreGame7s
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject:

Hap4n wrote:
NoMoreGame7s wrote:

Ditto same thing going on here in L.A.
I guess all the Black Angus's have it, its like $14 adults $7 kids.
There food is good so I would recommend that.

Yeah - and to top it off, they still serve their regular food, also. My daughter skips the turkey and stuffing, and just orders ribs off the kids' menu.

angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject:

Homemade is the best. It's amazing how much work that takes.
mbloves L.A.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject:

I will be cooking this time around, after proving I am the best cook in my house hold, probably all of SB county. Yeah, now if I could only fit my head through the kitchen door, that would be great.
ShadyG
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject:

Never been a fan of turkey myself. Maybe it's too healthy or something. Going to try a goose this time around.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject:

Goose is a bit too gamey for me. I prefer duck, esp. duck l'orange.

Hosting a turkey dinner this year, and inviting some wayward friends over, including a Korean couple who've never experienced Thanksgiving.

That's what it's all about.
ShadyG
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject:

Mmm...duck. One more and I'll have enough fat and legs for confit. Then a month to blend and I get to make cassoulet. Maybe a New Year's eve feast. For Thanksgiving, I really don't feel like roasting 3 or 4 ducks to feed the family, when 2 geese will do. Plus, in roasting you leave the skin on and lose all that precious fat. What a waste!

As for gaminess, bring it on. I always feel disappointed when I buy rabbit at Bristol Farms and there's no game flavor at all. Lame. Obviously farm raised. May as well have bought a chicken. Anyone know of a good source of rabbit?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
shnjb
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:48 am    Post subject:

Black angus sounds nice.
Flight
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject:

I want my mom's cooking.

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:

Hosting a turkey dinner this year, and inviting some wayward friends over, including a Korean couple who've never experienced Thanksgiving.

That is what it is all about. We usually have family and friends over, around 30 people. They usually arrive Wednesday night and leave Sunday night. Some bring their motor homes and park on the street. We play poker until the sun comes up, and watch every football game that is on TV.

This year I am smoking a turkey and deep frying one. Probably make a jerk pork loin as well, they had tenderloins on sale last weekend and I picked one up. Likely a tri tip as well. Enough leftovers to munch on over the weekend.
ShadyG
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject:

If you're deep frying a turkey, definitely take the opportunity to inject it with gravy beforehand. You can get some unbelievable results.
NoMoreGame7s
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

That is what it is all about. We usually have family and friends over, around 30 people. They usually arrive Wednesday night and leave Sunday night. Some bring their motor homes and park on the street. We play poker until the sun comes up, and watch every football game that is on TV.

This year I am smoking a turkey and deep frying one. Probably make a jerk pork loin as well, they had tenderloins on sale last weekend and I picked one up. Likely a tri tip as well. Enough leftovers to munch on over the weekend.

Damn that sounds tasty. Pork loin, tri tip. Yum. I never was big on the turkey until recently. It never seemed moist enough for me as a kid, so I always just stuck with the ham.

My wife's stepdad does something awesome with his turkey. He barbecues it. He has it down to a science. He glazes it just the right way so that the skin gets really crispy and seals in all the juices. He stuffs it with cubed butter and all sorts of spices that seep into the meat as it cooks. I'm telling you - it's amazing. Plus, the barbecue adds that smoked flavor. Years ago, when we first visited them, I thought he was crazy for cooking a turkey in his barbecue, but that was before I tasted it.

Back to the topic, though. Yeah - Black Angus is the way to go for the OP. It's definitely a few steps up from Hometown Buffet, but it's not $70 a plate, and the atmosphere is relaxed and informal. Even though it's all-you-can-eat on Thanksgiving, there's no walking around trying to fight snotty kids and old people with walkers so you don't miss out on the cranberry sauce. You just ask your server for more of what you want.

NoMoreGame7s
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject:

Wait - did you say you were smoking a turkey? Is that the same as what I said my wife's stepdad did? Is that more common than I think it is? If so, my bad for making such a big deal of it.

Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject:

NoMoreGame7s wrote:
Wait - did you say you were smoking a turkey? Is that the same as what I said my wife's stepdad did? Is that more common than I think it is? If so, my bad for making such a big deal of it.

Once you've had smoked or deep fried turkey (different but both good), you won't want a "regular" turkey.
JIFISH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject:

In my neighborhood, a nice restaurant with a good thanksgiving day menu is The French Quarter Restaurant on Santa Monica Boulevard, between Laurel and Hayworth.

A good thanksgiving meal (with a little funkier sort of coffe shop atmosphere) can also be had at Swingers Restaurant on Beverly Blvd, a block east of Crescent Heights Blvd.

An inexpensive (about $12), cafeteria-style, but very good thanksgiving meal can be found at Andre's Town and Country, in the shopping center across from the Grove at Third and Fairfax.
NoMoreGame7s
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject:

Where did you end up going, LFA? And how was it?

LakerFanAlways
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject:

Ended up going to Maggiano's Restaurant at The Grove..awesome place to eat and so many great things to choose from..the place was packed..Turkey, salad, you name it they had it..turned out to be a great place to go
NoMoreGame7s
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject:

Oh yeah. You mentioned in the thread that that's where you were going. My bad. Glad it turned out well.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: